Mets Weirdos

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Mets for sale

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:38 pm

The pitching is coming back down to Earth. They need Niese to stop the bleeding or they could be in for a long skid. The rest of the match-ups against SF are not in their favor.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:50 pm

Article on Wright: http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7831944/david-wright-chasing-new-york-mets-records-future-remains-uncertain

David Wright is becoming Mr. Met

Third baseman moving up franchise ranks, but his long-term future remains hazy

It seems like only yesterday that David Wright was entering the New York Mets' clubhouse as a highly touted rookie and his veteran teammates were subjecting him to the obligatory rites of passage. In the early days, Wright's duties consisted of playing third base and batting fifth or sixth in the order, carrying Cliff Floyd's luggage, fetching coffee for the relievers and taking an abundance of grief from a certain left-handed closer with a Brooklyn accent.

"I can remember Johnny Franco giving me a bunch of crap on a daily basis," Wright says. "You look around and think, 'It's amazing that was eight or nine years ago."'

WRIGHT AT HOME
David Wright has the ninth-longest tenure with one team among active MLB position players. Here's the breakdown:

Player Team Games
Derek Jeter Yankees 2,438
Chipper Jones Braves 2,393
Todd Helton Rockies 2,065
Ichiro Suzuki Mariners 1,762
Michael Young Rangers 1,678
Jimmy Rollins Phillies 1,648
Brandon Inge Tigers 1,404
Brian Roberts Orioles 1,233
David Wright Mets 1,115
Source: baseball-reference.com

While we're on the subject of amazing, Wright now ranks ninth among active position players in games played for a single club (see chart). Mike Piazza, Pedro Martinez and Tom Glavine have passed from the scene in Flushing and are awaiting the call from Cooperstown. The Art Howe, Willie Randolph and Jerry Manuel regimes are fading memories. Former Mets general manager Omar Minaya is senior vice president of baseball operations for the San Diego Padres. And Wright is still plugging away with the Mets.

He's had his name splashed across the side of a Delta Air Lines MD-88 shuttle plane, dated a model or two, raised lots of money for charity through his foundation and sold enough Vitaminwater to fill a municipal reservoir. He's changed ballparks, tinkered with his swing, played through injuries and been maligned by Mets owner Fred Wilson (sort of). And that bare-handed catch against Brian Giles in 2006 still ranks with anything in the Omar Vizquel catalogue.

With his next RBI, Wright will have 734 and move past Darryl Strawberry for first place among Mets. He needs 32 runs scored to break Jose Reyes' club record of 735, and 154 hits to surpass Ed Kranepool's franchise benchmark of 1,418. Life is a series of media notes and JumboTron moments.

Next week Wright's old left-side-of-the-infield mate, Reyes, will return to New York as a member of the Miami Marlins. Reyes is hitting in front of Hanley Ramirez in the batting order and playing for a club that's awash in big money and hype. Wright, meanwhile, leads the majors with a .500 batting average for a team that has exceeded expectations at 7-5. That's partly because fans have become conditioned to having no expectations for the Mets.

When Mike Pelfrey, Dillon Gee or Jonathon Niese pitches, eight of the nine players in manager Terry Collins' lineup are homegrown. That injection of youth is invigorating to Wright, who turned 29 in December and is the team's second-oldest regular behind Jason Bay while Andres Torres rehabilitates from a calf injury.

"I love it," Wright says. "Maybe we don't have the talent or experience or household names that other teams have. But give me guys that work the way these guys work and play the way we try to play the game, and I'll sign up for that."

Met for life?

Will Wright be signing anything else in the foreseeable future? In the past year, Matt Kemp, Jered Weaver, Matt Cain, Joey Votto, Andrew McCutchen, Brandon Phillips, Yadier Molina and Ryan Zimmerman, Wright's old Virginia buddy, are among the players who have signed big-money deals with their current teams to avoid free agency. The Mets even shelled out a guaranteed $25.5 million over five years on a contract extension for Niese.

But the long-term forecast for Wright in New York remains hazy. If the uncertainty drags on much longer, he might have to join Josh Hamilton, Cole Hamels, Zack Greinke, Andre Ethier and Brian McCann in a contract purgatory support group.

Wright's six-year, $55 million contract expires this winter. The Mets have a $16 million option for 2013, but Wright can void it if the team trades him during the season. He made copious mental notes last year while watching the ongoing drama surrounding Reyes. He dressed at the neighboring locker, and watched Reyes get peppered with questions about his future. To avoid that scenario, Wright summoned the media in spring training and said he would address his contract situation once and only once. Hey, it was worth a shot.

"It's hard enough playing this game," Wright says. "It's a lot harder when you're asked questions every day that you really have no control over. I'm not a free agent. I'm under contract this year and the team has control of me for next year. I have zero options right now. For me it doesn't make sense to continue to discuss something when I have no control over it and the ball is in the front office's court."

David Wright is quietly becoming one of the Mets' all-time greats.Some Mets watchers have observed that Wright is more guarded and less inclined to schmooze with the media than in recent years, but he needs to pick his spots to retain his sanity. In recent years, the Mets have probably been involved in more manufactured controversies than any team in baseball. And when reporters want a player's take on the 9/11 cap dispute or the Walter Reed hospital visit fiasco, they're conditioned to circle Wright's locker. Wright has yet to address the controversy over whether the Mets should sell kosher hot dogs at Citi Field during Friday night and Saturday afternoon games, but you never know.

In May 2011, at the height of the Bernie Madoff mess, Wilpon did an interview with Jeffrey Toobin for The New Yorker. Among other things, he observed that Reyes didn't deserve Carl Crawford money, Carlos Beltran was overpaid, and Wright's ability didn't match his golden-boy reputation.

"A really good kid," Wilpon told the magazine. "A very good player. Not a superstar."

That wasn't exactly the confidence boost Wright needed, given that he was on the DL with a back injury and the Mets were muddling along below .500 at the time. But he sent a very polite and courteous email to The Wall Street Journal and tried to remain above the fray.

"It was like a week-long thing," Wright says in hindsight. "Every day people would ask, 'What do you feel about it today?' Then the next day they would say, 'How do you feel today? Has it sunk in yet?'

"I've been through enough in New York to know you need to have thick skin. You'd prefer that your owner not say those types of things. But we started out awful, we were losing game after game, and I understand the frustration. The comments really, truly didn't hurt my feelings in any way. The biggest thing is, I would rather just prepare to play baseball and not have to answer questions about what kind of player I am."

The same old Wright

Wright seemed like such a nice, grounded, family-oriented kid when he arrived in New York, and he tries to stay true to his roots. Each offseason, he goes home to his native Virginia to clear his head and prepare for the season in a distraction-free environment. Wright has worked with the same trainer, Robert Reyes, since he was 18, and each winter he returns to the same high school field and focuses on hitting basics with Nick Boothe, the coach at Virginia Wesleyan University.

The early results are encouraging, to put it mildly. In a 14-6 loss to Atlanta on Wednesday, Wright singled, doubled and reached base at least twice for the ninth straight game. The last player to put together a streak that long to begin a season: Mike Cameron of the 2002 Seattle Mariners.

Wright, by all accounts, altered his approach and became more pull-happy in his first two seasons at Citi Field, but Mets hitting coach Dave Hudgens has made two helpful changes this spring. Last year, Wright was over-rotating his hips and driving his left shoulder toward first base to the extent that his back was almost facing the pitcher as he prepared to swing. He's eliminated much of that excess movement, and it's allowed him to be quicker and see the ball better as it leaves the pitcher's hand. At Hudgens' suggestion, Wright has also lowered his hands slightly in his stance.

It's a small sample size, but so far, so good. According to ESPN Stats & Information, Wright has chased about one of every 5.5 pitches outside the strike zone -- compared to about one in four from 2009-11. He's seen a total of 40 curveballs, changeups and sliders from right-handed pitchers this season and been very discerning. He has only three misses on his 20 swings against the off-speed stuff.

Wright knows he can get himself in trouble when he swings "a thousand miles an hour," as he puts it. Four games into the season, he suffered a broken right pinky against the Washington Nationals. When he gets overzealous at the plate, the shooting pain in the finger reminds him that he needs to tone it down a little bit. The Mets moved in the fences at Citi Field this year to make life more equitable for hitters. But regardless of ballpark dimensions, Wright is at his best when he's not so pull-happy. Of Wright's first 17 hits this season, seven have been right up the middle. Only 28 of his 99 hits last season fit that description.

"That's his game," says an AL scout. "He has power to right-center, but balls that used to go out at Shea were dying in the new park. He still has to stay with that approach and get his doubles. It's going to make him a better hitter if he's using the whole field, because you want to take that same approach when you go on the road."

As Wright waits for his future to play out, the kids on the New York roster watch him on and off the field and take their cues on how to compartmentalize and focus on the business at hand.

"You can't please everybody," says Mets first baseman Ike Davis. "You can't sign every autograph. You can't talk to everybody. You can't do that or you'd never have time to be yourself. But he does it unbelievably well. He handles a huge load, and I'm sure that can be stressful and take away from the time when he wants to relax and just think about what he needs to do. All us young guys listen to what he says."

It's not easy being the franchise face in Flushing. When Robinson Cano broke in with the Yankees in 2005, he had the luxury of Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, Mariano Rivera and other veteran players dominating the headlines and giving him cover. Wright, in contrast, watched all the Mets' veterans gradually leave the premises, anointing him as clubhouse spokesman by default. The role of team leader can be a burden at times. But after eight-plus years and 1,115 games in New York, he retains a healthy perspective about the place.

"Everybody enjoys and loves the perks that come along with playing in New York," Wright says, "but you have to be willing to accept that you're going to be in that fishbowl and under that microscope, especially when things aren't going so well. I understood that at a relatively young age."

Wright has emerged from the character test as an older and wiser Met. Two weeks don't make a season. But he just might be better than ever.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Endless Mike on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:33 am

I added that Kirk Nieuwenhuis guy to my fantasy team because I need the spark and he's spitting hot fiyah right now.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:36 am

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:I added that Kirk Nieuwenhuis guy to my fantasy team because I need the spark and he's spitting hot fiyah right now.

Why are you posting on EO and not at the birthday party?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:48 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:I added that Kirk Nieuwenhuis guy to my fantasy team because I need the spark and he's spitting hot fiyah right now.

Are you talking about Fenway or am I missing something from EI/ghettEO?
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:58 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

Fenway. Felger & Mazz reference.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:54 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

They should take a wrecking ball to Fenway.

There I said it.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:12 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

They should take a wrecking ball to Fenway.

There I said it.

Agreed, but short of a fault line opening under The Fens or the start of World War 3, this has as much of a chance of happening in our lifetime as Mike Leach to BC.

I hold out hope that, one day, they'll find a way to install proper seating without reducing capacity (and, thus, revenue). Yes, I realize this would require breaking the laws of physics if I expect them to do this without expanding the footprint of the stadium.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:40 pm

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:55 am

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

It's probably a good thing I missed the birthday party, but I heard Vaugh Eshelman and the rest of the '95 team were there, so that must have been cool.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:57 pm

I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:11 pm

Not to mention that question, if not grammatically incorrect, is extremely grammatically awkward.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:59 am

What an ugly doubleheader.

Here's a good article on Tejada on the night of Reyes' return http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7846875/new-york-mets-see-shortstop-ruben-tejada

Looking forward to Santana tonight, hopefully he proves his last start was a blip on the radar.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:25 am

I figured they would lose to Lincecum, but dropping the nightcap like that sucks.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:18 pm

Now Pelf to the DL
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:26 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Now Pelf to the DL

Well it was fun while it lasted.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:33 pm

And this is why it sucks they went so fucking cheap -there's absolutely no depth.

With Torres, Bay, & Pelf out, there's absolutely no one to put in left. Are we going to have Murphy 2.0 with Lutz? Where we put a natural 3B in LF? I'm sure Santana will be thrilled.

As for Pelf, it sucks cause he actually showed some balls last start, unfortunately it's probably too early for Familia & Harvey.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:36 pm

Santana has 10 Ks through 5 innings. Josh Johnson has 7. Game is on pace to be over in 2 hours, 20 minutes. Of course, someone will have to score first...
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:44 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:And this is why it sucks they went so fucking cheap -there's absolutely no depth.

With Torres, Bay, & Pelf out, there's absolutely no one to put in left. Are we going to have Murphy 2.0 with Lutz? Where we put a natural 3B in LF? I'm sure Santana will be thrilled.

As for Pelf, it sucks cause he actually showed some balls last start, unfortunately it's probably too early for Familia & Harvey.

Torres is expected to rejoin the club Monday. So they have to get through six games with Baxter and Hairston splitting time in left. Then I expect they will move Niuwenhuis over. I'll be surprised if they force Lutz into LF, this is a different manager and front office than the one that gave us the Daniel Murphy experiment.

As for Pelf, preliminary reports are not good. Partially torn UCL, which means Tommy John surgery in most cases. I don't know enough about the Mets' farm to suggest a promotion. I imagine Batista becomes a fixture in the rotation for the foreseeable future.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:02 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Santana has 10 Ks through 5 innings. Josh Johnson has 7. Game is on pace to be over in 2 hours, 20 minutes. Of course, someone will have to score first...

According to the tv, he just threw 105 mph
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:10 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Santana has 10 Ks through 5 innings. Josh Johnson has 7. Game is on pace to be over in 2 hours, 20 minutes. Of course, someone will have to score first...

Yeah, right... they sure that was a pitch and not a stolen car speeding into a chop shop on 126th St.?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:27 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:And this is why it sucks they went so fucking cheap -there's absolutely no depth.

Torres is expected to rejoin the club Monday. So they have to get through six games with Baxter and Hairston splitting time in left. Then I expect they will move Niuwenhuis over. I'll be surprised if they force Lutz into LF, this is a different manager and front office than the one that gave us the Daniel Murphy experiment.

As for Pelf, preliminary reports are not good. Partially torn UCL, which means Tommy John surgery in most cases. I don't know enough about the Mets' farm to suggest a promotion. I imagine Batista becomes a fixture in the rotation for the foreseeable future.

Good to hear about Torress, he brings some speed to a lineup that needs it. Niuwenhuis has looked excellent

Encouraging start for Johan, they've yet to give him a single run all year -back to old times.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:33 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Yeah, right... they sure that was a pitch and not a stolen car speeding into a chop shop on 126th St.?

Don't think he hit 91 all night

God what a dump around Citi
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:49 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Don't think he hit 91 all night

Pretty good for the seventh inning!!
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:56 pm

BTW interesting reaction for Jose
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:04 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

At least we're not forced to look at it behind the outfield anymore.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:38 am

DGF how would you have reacted to Reyes last night? I was debating with my brother who doesn't hate me and other Mets fans.

I was never in love with Reyes but I wouldn't have booed his introduction.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:33 pm

I would have stood and clapped for his first plate appearance, but I would have booed the rest of the time. By no means does he get the Piazza treatment, but by all accounts, the Mets didn't even make him an offer. I can't hold that against Jose. I was surprised he was received so negatively (by the few dozen who chose to show up) last night.

I'll never forget when I was at Shea for Armando Benitez's first game back (with the Marlins, coincidentally enough). That's the worst I've ever heard an ex-Met booed in person.

Your question got me thinking about how Chipper Jones will be received in his last game at Citi later this year. I think enough time has passed to heal those wounds and I would clap for him. And he's a future Hall of Famer. I would not do the same for the likes of Shane Victorino.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:40 pm

Wait, Mets fans booed Reyes?! Did the Met even offer him a contact?
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:57 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:I would have stood and clapped for his first plate appearance, but I would have booed the rest of the time. By no means does he get the Piazza treatment, but by all accounts, the Mets didn't even make him an offer. I can't hold that against Jose. I was surprised he was received so negatively (by the few dozen who chose to show up) last night.

I'll never forget when I was at Shea for Armando Benitez's first game back (with the Marlins, coincidentally enough). That's the worst I've ever heard an ex-Met booed in person.

Your question got me thinking about how Chipper Jones will be received in his last game at Citi later this year. I think enough time has passed to heal those wounds and I would clap for him. And he's a future Hall of Famer. I would not do the same for the likes of Shane Victorino.

Agreed, how by no means does he deserve the Piazza treatment. I think some of it was how Reyes handled himself on the last day of the season -that left a sour taste in people's mouths.

You could tell Reyes was definitely hurt by it, no matter what he said to the media post game. Some fans would try to start the Jose chant when he was at bat but they got booed out. He cares tremendously how he is viewed and still loves it here. He still has his house on LI and talked about how much it meant to him to have people come up to him welcoming him back when he was in the city the past couple of days.

I'm not a big booer in general though. I really don't boo my own team at all, I think the one time I did was Guillermo Mota after he came back from the steroid suspension.

As for Chipper, yeah I guess time heals all wounds. I absolutely despised him growing up but due to the Mets sucktitude it's moved towards a respect.

As for BigNick's comment, between Reyes & the Mets it's a battle of semantics. The Mets said they told Reyes to get an offer on the market and we'll see what we can do which he didn't and Reyes says they never made me an offer. Regardless his contract was too risky/expensive -they were never going to do it.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

PreviousNext