Eugene DeFilippo in Hiding

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Eugene DeFilippo in Hiding

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:48 am

Hey minions... let Eugene know that I take great pleasure in knowing that he is too scared to hold online Chats (been well over a year) or attend fundraisers (not even ones for the Flynn Fund, like the FoxSports event this time last year). Well... not as much pleasure as hearing rumors of his departure. But, I delight in knowing that BC alums and donors are making the Oompa Loompa's last days in Yawkey as miserable as he has made us (ever since he injected his incompetent self into the sports programs).

Anyone with photoshop skillz want to take a crack at this? Maybe we can use the best one on some T-Shirts... signs... or the front page of FireGeneD.com/FireCoachFlip.com.
on
or
or
or maybe the mirror of
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Re: Eugene DeFilippo in Hiding

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:37 pm

Either the DeFilippo familiy inbred with the Schettino family... or cowardly, disasterous leadership is part of the genetic code of Italy.
http://news.yahoo.com/coast-guard-order ... 34509.html
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:52 pm

Come out... come out... wherever you are...
http://heightssports.tumblr.com/post/15 ... thority-in
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hawaiirob on Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:30 pm

http://www.bc.edu/clubs/thebc/commercials/therapy.mov

DeFillipo Field? This guy is an ass. At least he succeeded in inducting himself into the HOF.
hawaiirob
Carney Hall

Postby h2o on Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:00 pm

Is Lively the spokesperson for a group of unhappy former players? Or is he a one man show that's pulling a "I'm mad as hell and not going to take it anymore" routine? If it's the latter he very well may be mad as hell.
h2o
Campion Hall

Postby hawaiirob on Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:33 pm

Any pub is good pub when it comes to blabbering about Springfield College's finest and richest alum.
hawaiirob
Carney Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:40 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Hey minions... let Eugene know that I take great pleasure in knowing that he is too scared to hold online Chats (been well over a year) or attend fundraisers (not even ones for the Flynn Fund, like the FoxSports event this time last year). Well... not as much pleasure as hearing rumors of his departure. But, I delight in knowing that BC alums and donors are making the Oompa Loompa's last days in Yawkey as miserable as he has made us (ever since he injected his incompetent self into the sports programs).

Anyone with photoshop skillz want to take a crack at this? Maybe we can use the best one on some T-Shirts... signs... or the front page of FireGeneD.com/FireCoachFlip.com.
on
or
or
or maybe the mirror of

BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:56 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Hey minions... let Eugene know that I take great pleasure in knowing that he is too scared to hold online Chats (been well over a year) or attend fundraisers (not even ones for the Flynn Fund, like the FoxSports event this time last year). Well... not as much pleasure as hearing rumors of his departure. But, I delight in knowing that BC alums and donors are making the Oompa Loompa's last days in Yawkey as miserable as he has made us (ever since he injected his incompetent self into the sports programs).

on
or
or
or maybe the mirror of

BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadBeagle on Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:54 pm

How do you know he's hiding? Maybe he's just sitting home licking himself, or rubbing his butt across the carpet. Sometimes I do that a lot, and my brothers HATE me for it.
TobaccoRoadBeagle
n00b

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:21 pm

I am getting this third-hand... no idea if this is the actual email... but it sure as hell sounds like it.

If anyone knows Steven Lively, tell him that the next time he wants to go all 74... to email me first. I'll clean it up gratis and make his rantings at least make sense. He needs to learn that "Brevity is the soul of wit" or (since he was a football player) "Keep It Simple Stupid."

January 16, 2012
Gene DeFillippo Athletic Director Boston College 140 Commonwealth Ave. Chestnut Hill, MA

Gene,
You asked me to meet with you many years ago at your office to “say hello!” I had just given BC a donation and you were at the incubator stage of what today is the Athletic Development Office under your administration. I was surprised when you told me you wanted me to pay back the full scholarship I had received from Boston College years earlier.
You told me I owed Boston College for what the university had done for me. You then opened a leather- bound binder containing the names of my parents, along with a commitment to endow a scholarship of $250K to the university (athletic department). You mentioned that the money I had given was not enough. I told you then that I thought you should not be in the business on fundraising. I told you I would not sign such a pledge, and as I was leaving, you suggested that I contact two other former teammates and ask them to give money to the program. Shortly thereafter you were successful in your process to begin a new revenue source to the Athletic Department when Dave Nugent committed a substantial pledge.

I think this is where the wheel came off the wagon for our athletic program. The genesis of what is outlined in this communication to you began many years ago. My thought leaving your office was, “Does Gene get a piece of this as part of his compensation?”

Martin Luther King, Jr. said “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.” Your tenure as the Boston College Athletics Director is a remarkable example of the point made by Dr. King. Boston College needs to correct an intolerable situation. It is time that either you leave Boston College as the Athletic Director on your own accord or be forced out.
You were offered the stewardship of an incredible sports legacy. What you have done is nothing short of tragic. You have created a culture of fear throughout the Athletic Department.

My findings:
1.You have misused power.
2.You are abusive to employees and alum.
3.You shifted away from a traditional Athletic Director’s role to a role of sports fundraiser.
4.You instituted $1,000 surcharges for the right to keep season tickets & ever increasing parking fees destroying an incredible fan base (you financially insulted the fan base of Boston College).
5.You came up with a phony alibi that Boston is a professional sports town and that it is hard for
BC to survive.
6.You have instituted budget cuts that resulted in quality issues in the Athletic Department.
7.You have fired successful coaches to either keep operating budgets down and/or because they developed a national persona.
8.You have poor relationships with head coaches.
9.You overwork and under pay important providers in your staff.
10.You have caused two major sports programs to decline -- the big money makers.
11.You bullying & intimidate (“If I have to kiss Father Leahy’s ass you better be kissing mine!”).
12. You forced coaches to be a part of your noon walks “to show loyalty to you!”
13. You need to feel empowered by stating that “I am a Father Leahy guy.” 14. You need to ‘create’ an appearance of power using Father Leahy.
15. Your emotions result in your offering ‘Mea Culpa(s)’
16. You caused big donors to walk away from Boston College as a result of the profanity you directed at them in a face-to-face meeting
17. You placed a clear focus on money at the expense of reason and the well being of Boston College athletes.
18. You use of profanity.
19. You state: “I pay these coaches!”
20. You need to feel self empowered by stating “I will be here as long as I wish to be or longer than
you!”
21. You control the board that nominates and votes people into the Football Hall of Fame. You voted
yourself into the Hall of Fame.
22. What many say is your legacy as Boston College Athletic Director:
a.You tarnished Boston College’s public image.
b.You tarnished Father Leahy’s image.
c.You tarnished Boston College sports image.
d.You tarnished the Boston College brand.
e.You caused decline in the fan base of Boston College.
f.You created a revolving door of head coaches (no proper vetting and no prior head
coaching experience) (you make a fortune).
g.You have caused a steady decline in alumni financial support.
h.You have caused a sense of helplessness on the part of BC Alum, friends and families.
i.You have caused the sense that it’s totally about money!
j.You have caused a decline in staff diversity.
k.You caused the creation of a bureaucracy (Athletic Development Office) at the expense
of the staff, Student-Athletes and our fan base.
23. Propensity to personalize your emotional view to the detriment of Boston College, football alum and with relationships with former BC coaches.
24. Public Blunder - Source: http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazet ... ports/bob- smiziks-blog/30394-despite-vendetta-by-bc-athletic-director-uconn-still-might-gain-acc- memebership :
 ”Boston College Athletic Director Gene DeFilippo is clearly sorry he made the astonishingly candid quotes about why he kept Connecticut out of the ACC, which helped Pitt get in. But the comments stand, and in the end UConn still could gain ACC membership and DeFilippo could be out of a job.”
 “On Tuesday morning, it also was clear either (A) DeFilippo stood as one of the great whistle-blowers in major college athletics or (B) he had de-filipped his lid. By late Tuesday afternoon, after he had apologized for saying ESPN told the league to add Pittsburgh and Syracuse, it was clear DeFilippo again chose (B)”
 DeFilippo said he "spoke inappropriately and erroneously regarding ESPN's role in conference expansion."
 “How do you miss so badly on such a big and important topic? Isn't this a serious indictment of his judgment? Or is he backing down from the truth to save his job? The real powers in the ACC are not pleased with DeFilippo for agitating the giant
four-lettered beast of Bristol and they shouldn't be for rubbing UConn's face in his temporary triumph.”
 “The shock is not that ESPN, which denied DeFilippo's assertions, would exert some influence; it's that one of the BC’S Athletic Directors would boldly announce his school is doing what ESPN tells him to. It introduces questions about collusion and business practices.”
I http://www.bc.edu/clubs/thebc/commercials/therapy.mov. I had to ask myself, “what kind of university executive creates such a self promoting video?” It was like watching former presidential candidate Michael Dukakis riding atop the tank when he ran for President. The Dukakis video, as does ‘your’ video, raised significant red flags and a question, “do I want that guy to represent me?” The answer to so many BC Eagles is hell no ? time to go!

I recall being at a BC football game many years ago. I, along with other BC football alum, was in President Leahy’s box. I was standing next to President Leahy when you ran over to me and placed your head on my chest and said “I love you!” I asked you to take your head off of my chest. Today, many years later I see that it was all about theatre to President Leahy, your video is proof of that!

This is about your record, Gene, and what is documented and what else is going to come out of what will happen in the next few days and months. People are going to feel empowered and protected because for so many of us this communication is liberating. There are protections for employees at the state and federal levels. Once employees hear of these protections they can speak freely knowing that a growing chorus will tell of their experiences working under your leadership!

What I loved about BC was its incredible sense of loyalty to its employees and the people of Boston spanning out across New England. It was a place where you could bring your family and feel a part of something larger than one’s self. You moved the focus from the teachings of Christ and fellowship to ‘it is all about money!” You, Gene DeFillippo, brought in an era of profound self serving behavior and greed at the expense of a historic sports legacy and its athletes.

I see someone who knows he has wronged people around him and in the greater community including our athletes, their families, our sport alumni, our cherished Golden Eagles fan base, our students and former coaches. Former Men’s Basketball Coach Al Skinner, with a record of 210-137 (.605 in 11 years), was fired, Women’s Basketball Coach Cathy Inglese, with a record of 359-225 (.627 in 20 years) was fired. And we all know what Head Football Coach Tom O’Brien accomplished. Then there was the firing of Former Head Football Coach Jeff Jagodzinski was it a “difference of vision for the future” or was it “disloyalty?” All these winning coaches gone!

These coaches are people of impeccable credentials and yet you have done an injustice to them all. You have made seriously hurtful comments to people in an attempt to show you have power. You wish to belittle those who are helpless because they need a job or their children may one day wish to attend Boston College. You have abused your power in a way that has left a significant trail ? one that is verifiable.

Gene, did you make the comment that you always have to ‘keep one in your back pocket’ in reference to the hiring of an African-American women’s basketball coach? Was this why Al Skinner was fired.....a private policy of only one African-American head coach at a time? Is/was there diversity on your staff? What was it like for the former African-American BC football alum working with you to diversify your staff? There are so many issues and, because of these issue, there are numerous BC football alum who no longer associate with BC.

saw this video and thought to myself how tragic:
By the way Gene, Al Skinner is not lazy. He was focused on winning and high graduation rates (like Cathy Inglese and Tom O’Brien) for his athletes. Like many coaches past and present, they do not want to have to treat you like you are a deity. Coach O’Brien did your ‘walks’ to get exercise, not to support you like you were the president of Boston College. Al Skinner was the wrong guy to slap that stereotype on! The ‘lazy’ story was concocted by less than a handful; then pushed into the media. I will deal with the Board of Trustees directly on this. Watch yourself in this video, your body language tells a far different story than your words:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEui_sxB-Fs

You blew up the basketball fan base with your donor seating plan. You financially insulted a population focused on Boston College basketball. The question I and so many have is, how are you compensated? Do you make money ‘personally’ from the Athletic Development Office operation above and beyond your base pay? I feel this along with what I have stated above is why you fired these great coaches. If these coaches had received new contracts, would you have made less because operational costs would increase or would you continue to push out the Ferna Phillips of the world and hire cheap labor to offset the increase?

To protect the interest(s) of African-Americans at Boston College and ‘all’ those of prospective student athletes under consideration from the various sports programs, I am corresponding with organizations that are motivated to have the truth revealed about your lack of effort regarding diversity.

Your intent was to show President Leahy that you could bring home the bacon, but in so doing you stepped outside the bounds of integrity.

CC:
Boston College Board of Trustees
President Leahy Boston College
WHDH Boston
Diana Morris, President Black Student Forum Boston College
NECN
Nwando Ofokansi AHANA Caucus Representative Director of Social & Political Action Black Student Forum Boston College
The Boston Globe The Boston Herald
Dr. Ines Maturana Sendoya Director, Office of AHANA Student Programs Boston College
The Boston College Chapter of the NAACP BOSTON COLLEGE
The Boston Herald ESPN WFSB (CT)
Michael Caprio Editor-in-Chief The HEIGHTS Boston College
Paul Sulzer Sports Editor The HEIGHTS Boston College
Jason Whitlock Sports Writer
Brenda Henry-Brown & Andy Petigny, Co-chairs Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr Memorial Committee Boston College
Dr. Akua Sarr & Carolyn Jupiter- McIntosh, Co- Chair's Black Faculty, Staff, Administrators Group Boston College
Dan Bunch, Director Learning- to- Learn Program Boston College
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ryrob on Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:12 pm

74-esque rantings {l Wrote}:

I see someone who knows he has wronged people around him and in the greater community including our athletes, their families, our sport alumni, our cherished Golden Eagles fan base, our students and former coaches. Former Men’s Basketball Coach Al Skinner, with a record of 210-137 (.605 in 11 years), was fired, Women’s Basketball Coach Cathy Inglese, with a record of 359-225 (.627 in 20 years) was fired. And we all know what Head Football Coach Tom O’Brien accomplished. Then there was the firing of Former Head Football Coach Jeff Jagodzinski was it a “difference of vision for the future” or was it “disloyalty?” All these winning coaches gone!

Come on bro, even our football alumni?
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby apbc12 on Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:35 am

"CC: Jason Whitlock sports writer"

Instant credibility
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:23 am

Holy crap, even in my ranting emails to Napoleon they followed a somewhat coherent path.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DrJackRyan on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:32 am

The Steve Lively letter is a brilliant move by Gene to discredit his critics into looking like idiots.

Nice move, Coach Flip.

More on Steve Lively:

http://mansfieldfootball.org/2002hall.htm
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:56 am

DrJackRyan {l Wrote}:The Steve Lively letter is a brilliant move by Gene to discredit his critics into looking like idiots.

Nice move, Coach Flip.

this
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:18 am

That whole thing is very 74ish. There are a lot of credible and damning points, but they get washed away by the maniacal rhetoric that surrounds them. Lastly, the Race Card made a cameo early on but then became a resounding theme, especially with Reverends Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton in the cc column. They aren't really in there, but they mind as well have been.

From someone who completely despises GDF, I can read between the lines and understand the valid points in this e-mail. Unfortunately, I think a letter like this hurts the efforts of those who want to expose this Napoleonic Bastard with the ultimate goal of having him dismissed. Hopefully someone/some people with more credibility and literary reason can put pressure on the BOT to take some action.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:19 am

Thanks for the pic...
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:28 am

:81

Talk about setting the movement back! What a cotton-headed ninnymuggins!
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:44 am

The "movement" would have been better served if the email was remotely coherent. But, it could be helpful.

If the BOT is completely head-in-the-sand regarding Gene, this maniacal rant lets them know that some hardcore BC people have an undying hatred of him. That in and of itself should give them pause as to whether they have a duty to oversee the total FAIL that is BC Athletics.

If the BOT is already thinking about making a move at the end of the school year (which is what they should be doing), this 74 diatribe just adds fuel to the smoldering fire. While most of it comes off as crazy, there are some overriding themes and some real life... easily validated... events in there.

Finally, if the BOT is all-in on GDF (like GDF is on Spaz), then this drunken missive will be easily ignored. But, if this is the Board's predisposition, no matter how eloquently the letter/email was written, it truly "doesn't matter."

At the end of the day, I give Steve Lively a ton of credit for being willing to attach his name and reputation to this cause and bring it to the attention of the only people who can do something about it. It would serve BC well if we had more alums (football or otherwise) willing to do the same.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby h2o on Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:13 am

DrJackRyan {l Wrote}:The Steve Lively letter is a brilliant move by Gene to discredit his critics into looking like idiots.

Nice move, Coach Flip.

More on Steve Lively:

http://mansfieldfootball.org/2002hall.htm

Steve's writing skills seem inherent to the Mansfiled school system.

From his bio:
Steve Lively, class of 1978, was a four-year starter for the Hornets as a 6'5", 260-pound fullback ;and defensive lineman.

In 1997, he was. the team's leading scorer, second leading rusher with a 4.6 average, had six blocked passes, 33 tackles, 22 assists and nine quarterback sacks.

It would be nice if a bunch of big name former players/donors who are disgusted with Gene got together and approached the BOT to oust him. Maybe they have and are doing it quietly.
h2o
Campion Hall

Postby dixieagle on Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:18 pm

ryrob {l Wrote}:
74-esque rantings {l Wrote}:

Come on bro, even our football alumni?

For God's sake, will someone remind him he didn't play for Southern Miss????? :81
dixieagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:23 pm

I am starting to think Steven Lively is the love child of 7+4 and HJS.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:26 pm

There is a right way and a wrong way to handle these things. For a guy with Lively's resume, this is the wrong way.

I'm sure the Athletic Department gets a letter/email like Lively's on a daily or weekly basis, they are just from crazy alums, BC's handful of "subway" alums, or the likes of 74. So they are easy to dismiss as being from crackpots.

The language Lively chose to use, unfortunately, now places him in that mold. In the eyes of the decisionmakes, he will have lost whatever credibility he had as a spokesperson for dissatisified former football players. That is unfortunate since we need someone prominent to start taking up the mantle of the anti-Spaz cause.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby oldbcg on Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:56 pm

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:There is a right way and a wrong way to handle these things. For a guy with Lively's resume, this is the wrong way.

I'm sure the Athletic Department gets a letter/email like Lively's on a daily or weekly basis, they are just from crazy alums, BC's handful of "subway" alums, or the likes of 74. So they are easy to dismiss as being from crackpots.

The language Lively chose to use, unfortunately, now places him in that mold. In the eyes of the decisionmakes, he will have lost whatever credibility he had as a spokesperson for dissatisified former football players. That is unfortunate since we need someone prominent to start taking up the mantle of the anti-Spaz cause.

Steve is Steve. If you want credible in the traditional sense, look somewhere else. But for the most part, his email was pretty much dead on accurate.
oldbcg
n00b

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:22 pm

He has been found!

He did an interview at Around the Res (http://www.aroundtheres.com) blocked at work though
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:26 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:He has been found!

He did an interview at Around the Res (http://www.aroundtheres.com) blocked at work though

Hasn't Gene given them an interview before? Whoever writes that blog must be juiced in.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:29 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:He has been found!

Hasn't Gene given them an interview before? Whoever writes that blog must be juiced in.

are you suggested the minions plant stories for other minions disguised as independent bloggers? :popcorn
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby The Knife of Asia on Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:43 pm

Part I: BC Athletic Department and the Hockey Program
Part II: Football & Basketball...

Obviously they try to link his athletic department accomplishments with the hockey program to show 'success'... What a fellating interview, Gene has largely kept himself out of the hockey program with wonderful success.

This interview is intellectually dishonest...
The Knife of Asia
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:56 pm

Anyone want to post the text? It's blocked here
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby garf112 on Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:53 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Anyone want to post the text? It's blocked here

GDF Interview: Part I
This is part one of a two part interview with BC Athletic Director Gene Defilippo. In part one, we talk about the general direction of the athletic department and about the hockey program. In Part II, we'll get into the basketball and football programs. As always, special thanks to the athletic department for setting this up.

Thank you for sitting down with me today. I wanted to ask a few questions generally about the athletic department and then maybe get into a few specific questions about the major sports if that's okay.

Sure!

How has the Flynn Fund been able to weather the economic downturn? Are donations to the BC athletic department down?

You know what, we've been doing very, very well. When we got here in '97, the athletic department was raising about 2.5 million dollars per year. In the last three or four years we've been somewhere between 17.5 million and 20 million every year. In fact, I can get you the exact money. Here are our reports [hands me end of the year report to take home]. Here we are right here, at 17.5. The year before was a little more because we got a large gift, but that's about where we are. So it's been exceptionally well.

You have to understand the other thing is that we have very few tickets which we call donor-based seating. When you go to some of the larger schools, the Tennessee's, the Ohio State's, the Oklahoma's, you know they have as many as 50,000 or 60,000 donor-based seats. Our stadium seats 44.6, or 44.5, and we have approximately 6,000 donor-based tickets so that's why you see here that the Florida States and the Virginia Techs and the North Carolinas and the NC States raising a lot more money; because they have a lot more donor-based seating than we do. Our fund-raising is shoe leather. We're gone all the time...

So what are some of the things that BC Athletics is doing in terms of facilities in order to help BC stay on top?

Well, two things, from the fund-raising end of it. Number one, we want to add to our endowment. We want to grow the athletic endowment to somewhere around 200 million dollars, so that my successor, be it he or she, would have approximately 10 million dollars to start the year. And when you have 17 million from the ACC and 10 million from the endowment, that gives you about 27 million dollars to start the year, before you sell anything at all.

How involved is Father Leahy with the Athletic Department, if at all?

Father Leahy is very, very supportive of what we do in athletics. He's aware of everything that we do in athletics. He comes to some of our functions. He's very supportive, but he has a job to do to run this institution and that comes first to him, and it should. But I talk with Father all the time. I meet when the vice presidents meet. I meet with him sometimes separately, so he's involved with everything we do and knows about it but isn't necessarily right in the middle of it.

What are some things that the Athletic Department is doing to adapt to social media and social networking?

Jamie DiLoreto knows this better than I do. We're on Facebook, and they are communicating to our students through Facebook. We're doing a much better job with our website. Jamie Parker and also Christina Connelly have been doing interviews during and after games. We put those up. We're doing a lot better of a job of securing e-mails from students, alumni, fans; we're communicating that way to them. So our marketing and promotions departments have done a really, really good job, Michael. And being able to reach students, faculty, friends, through Facebook and social media has been great.

So let's talk hockey for a second...What do you think of our chances this year?

You know, as long as Jerry York's here, we never rebuild, we reload. It's about this time, now, as we get closer to the Beanpot...In the next week or two is when our team takes off every year. They get really going and playing well, and I suspect that it will be the same thing this year. We'll be right in the hunt.

What are some things that the Athletic Department can do to build wider support for the hockey program?

Well, you know, I don't know what we can do...First of all, most of our games are either sold out or nearly sold out. We're on radio this year. A number of our games are on television. We're putting players up on our website, coaches up on our website, with game stories or whatever. I think as we keep winning and winning here, there will be more and more people that will be coming to games and following the team. This is a team that's won three national championships since 2001, so they're a pretty good program.

Does Notre Dame moving into the Hockey East change anything?

You know I'm not sure it changes anything but it gives us another rival at home. When we play New Hampshire at home, BU at home, Notre Dame at home...those are great games and our fans love to see those games. So I love the fact that Notre Dame is coming into the Hockey East.

How has outdoor hockey at Fenway helped the program and when will we see a game at Alumni?

(laughs) How has outdoor hockey??? Well, I think the exposure we've gotten both nationally and locally from our two games at Fenway have been outstanding. I think there was more hoopla for the first game of course than for the second game. But the second game they sold 29,000 tickets so it gives more people a chance to see our team, to see how good they are, to get into a great environment like Fenway Park, and to come cheer for the team. So I think it's done a lot of things. We can't really do Alumni because we've got the bubble up, and that would be really difficult for us to do.

...I'd be willing to sacrifice the bubble...

You know...We've thought about how to get it done. (laughs) But that bubble is important to us too, because the last 12 years we've been practicing for a bowl after the last home game, and they need somewhere to practice, you know. That wouldn't leave us a whole lot of time for skating so I think if we continue to do it we'll do it at Fenway Park.
garf112
Carney Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium