Penn State

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Penn State

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:26 pm

These poor, helpless students who had no choice but to go to a university requiring internships have a RIGHT to graduate. There is no recourse for the slave like dropping out or transferring credits. This institution must be abolished and by Zeus, my calcium-depleted bones will not rest until I topple this evil empire!
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:29 pm

campion {l Wrote}:Would Dred Scott have to pay out of state tuition if he matriculated at the University of Wisconsin? What if his master took him back to Missouri. Could he attend Mizzou on instate tuition?

Mizzou is in the sec now. No more minorities allowed.
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:37 pm

I'm trying to understand why people not only read IB's posts, but respond to his posts as well. I don't get it.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:37 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:Nospace, do you know what slavery is?

Yeah.

Do you know what involuntary servitude is?

If I were a freed slave, I'd be bullshit at your suggestion that a voluntary unpaid internship is the same as slavery. I'd also be bullshit at your assertion that higher education is an inalienable right. Oh, the ironing.

Higher education is not an inalienable right. But demanding to be financially compensated for serving someone (that you don't volunteer to serve) is Constitutional. These students are not criminals and their desire to NOT intern, is a legitimate one. A university has no place or right requiring students serve for free, anywhere. You might be able to get away with that in other countries, but students shouldn't have to tolerate that crap, here.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:40 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:I'm trying to understand why people not only read IB's posts, but respond to his posts as well. I don't get it.

You do get it. I'm irresistible. That is the only reason why they keep asking me questions.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:44 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Yeah.

If I were a freed slave, I'd be bullshit at your suggestion that a voluntary unpaid internship is the same as slavery. I'd also be bullshit at your assertion that higher education is an inalienable right. Oh, the ironing.

Higher education is not an inalienable right. But demanding to be financially compensated for serving someone (that you don't volunteer to serve) is Constitutional. These students are not criminals and their desire to NOT intern, is a legitimate one. A university has no place or right requiring students serve for free, anywhere. You might be able to get away with that in other countries, but students shouldn't have to tolerate that crap, here.

So the student can't leave the school or (gasp!) transfer credits to a different one?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:44 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Yeah.

so a college diploma is an inalienable right. gotcha

no tre. it isn't.

but the school hasn't the right to demand you volunteer your time working anywhere for free, in order to graduate it
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:44 pm

This thread is about the rape of minors. Please keep the discussions on the enslavement of minors on its own thread. The enslavement of minors for the express purpose of rape should be on a third, new thread.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:45 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Yeah.

So the student can't leave the school or (gasp!) transfer credits to a different one?

happens all the time. happened that way for (gasp!) me. :)

best decision I could make at the time.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:47 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Yeah.

So there was no force then? You graduated without serving as a coffee wench, right?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:01 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Yeah.

So there was no force then? You graduated without serving as a coffee wench, right?

that's correct, i never had to do any internships.

now, the first school that I attended did have internships (the bulk of which were unpaid) but that was only for the liberal arts majors, mostly those who wanted to work in CJ, Journalism, etc, especially photography. it wasn't that way for Comp Sci (I don't know of ANY engineering on Comp Sci students who would ever have worked for free), but I would have had to do a Co-Op. At the time, the Comp Sci Co-Ops only paid about $11-$13/hour, maybe a smidgen more, but that was still pretty good "kid" money for upstate New York in the late 1980s.

I think those unpaid internships are mostly just for theater, journalism, English majors, maybe business administration, economics, etc. You aren't going to see that with the techies, so to speak. I guess I can understand why so many of you here vehemently defend the irrationality of the unpaid internship, too many of you had to do them at BC, probably figure that since you had to do them, so does everyone else.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:10 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i never had to perform an unpaid internship but i think your statements are stupid and like to point out how stupid they are

is your real name nick burns?

no.

and great, i'm glad you didn't have to intern
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:19 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i never had to perform an unpaid internship but i think your statements are stupid and like to point out how stupid they are

MOVE!
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:24 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

no.

and great, i'm glad you didn't have to intern

i didn't say i didn't intern... i said i didn't hold a position of an unpaid intern.

great, even better

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:your claim was that there was disagreement from the masses because they must have held unpaid internships at one point in their lives and i was simply pointing out that, as usual, you were wrong

i'm glad you were paid. you should have been paid. that is right and just
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:30 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:

MOVE!

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/ ... uy/1356802
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:32 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i don't know about right and just but it was the opportunity afforded to me

excellent

i'm of the opinion that it should be afforded to everyone who is required to do work
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:14 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Yeah.

that's correct, i never had to do any internships.

now, the first school that I attended did have internships (the bulk of which were unpaid) but that was only for the liberal arts majors, mostly those who wanted to work in CJ, Journalism, etc, especially photography. it wasn't that way for Comp Sci (I don't know of ANY engineering on Comp Sci students who would ever have worked for free), but I would have had to do a Co-Op. At the time, the Comp Sci Co-Ops only paid about $11-$13/hour, maybe a smidgen more, but that was still pretty good "kid" money for upstate New York in the late 1980s.

I think those unpaid internships are mostly just for theater, journalism, English majors, maybe business administration, economics, etc. You aren't going to see that with the techies, so to speak. I guess I can understand why so many of you here vehemently defend the irrationality of the unpaid internship, too many of you had to do them at BC, probably figure that since you had to do them, so does everyone else.

Another swing and a miss - I've never done an unpaid internship either and never plan to. Most people are vehemently letting you know they aren't slavery nor illegal, not necessarily defending the practice. Some people are defending the practice, but it's only when done under the right circumstances - certainly not for fetching coffee and picking the underwears out of your crack. So once again, you're pretty much off on all accounts.

Unlike you, most people don't broadly generalize and constantly makes words synonymous with words they are not even close to synonymous with. Eh, at least this has taken my mind off of real life for a bit. You wanna split a Sandusky Sundae?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:29 pm

There is a thread on TOS that maybe McQueary as a kid was taking it from Sandusky and/or JoePa.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby ryrob on Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:37 pm

Take this retarded internship shit to its own worthless thread in MAs. At least I kept my :slapfight somewhat on topic.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:41 pm

ryrob {l Wrote}:Take this retarded internship shit to its own worthless thread in MAs. At least I kept my :slapfight somewhat on topic.

If Bcfan94 being a needle dick moron is on topic than so did I. I think it is.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:48 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
ryrob {l Wrote}:Take this retarded internship shit to its own worthless thread in MAs. At least I kept my :slapfight somewhat on topic.

At least that :slapfight originated in this thread. The IB intern theory :slapfight came from a MA's thread.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:52 pm

IB being a moron amuses me. His butchery of history, the "law" and the constitution is without parallel.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:57 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

At least that :slapfight originated in this thread. The IB intern theory :slapfight came from a MA's thread.

That's all me. I'd be sorry if it wasn't so entertaining. It's not like this thread had anything interesting in it. :?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:00 pm

Has Regal flipped out today? Because that is always fun.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:02 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:IB being a moron amuses me. His butchery of history, the "law" and the constitution is without parallel.

I'm guessing you would say the same thing about 4 or 5 of the Supreme Court justices, teddy.

I wish the law was as objective as it should be. If it was, we wouldn't need so many lawyers.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:06 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:IB being a moron amuses me. His butchery of history, the "law" and the constitution is without parallel.

I'm guessing you would say the same thing about 4 or 5 of the Supreme Court justices, teddy.

I wish the law was as objective as it should be. If it was, we wouldn't need so many lawyers.

Move to Europe. Until then, STFU.

And the Supreme Court has thus far been smart enough to think your theory is retarded. In fact, I bet more than one of them did an unpaid internship at some point. Some are old enough to have been young lawyers when apprenticeships were in vogue, the early 1800s.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:44 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

And the Supreme Court has thus far been smart enough to think your theory is retarded. In fact, I bet more than one of them did an unpaid internship at some point. Some are old enough to have been young lawyers when apprenticeships were in vogue, the early 1800s.

A lot of stuff (legal and a-okay with the Constitution and the Supreme Court) was in vogue, in the early 1800s.

I don't really care if all nine of them did unpaid internships. I don't believe that it's Constitutional, and under no circumstances, will anyone in my family have such low self-esteem as to be doing them.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:48 pm

Megan's take on Penn State....

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2011/11/the-inexplicable-events-at-penn-state/248287/

Megan {l Wrote}:Like everyone else around here, I'm trying to wrap my brain around exactly what happened at Penn State. Until yesterday, I had been somewhat vague on exactly what the graduate student saw; naturally, I'd assumed it was considerably more ambiguous than the grade jury report suggests. How do you walk in on someone clearly having anal sex with a 10-year old, and then walk out again?

(I apologize for the graphic description, but a surprising number of people, as I was, seem to be a bit confused about what the graduate student actually saw. The answer turns out to be "almost the worst thing you can imagine".)

Actually, I can forgive the walking out. No, really, I can. I can imagine myself walking in on a scene so horrible that I couldn't quite believe that it was actually happening. I can imagine it taking me as long as five minutes to convince myself that no, really, it actually happened, and either walk back in there and do the right thing, or fetch someone else who would do it with me.

I don't think I would have walked out. I think I probably would have been arrested for doing bodily harm to Sandusky. Of course, you never really know what you are physically capable of until you are put in the situation.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby ryrob on Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:50 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Your legal :slapfight with child pornography boy is fine, and hugely entertaining. Not sure how this internship nonsense came into play again, mainly because I don't want to wade through 3 pages of INNOCENTBYSTANDERPOSTS.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:02 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

A lot of stuff (legal and a-okay with the Constitution and the Supreme Court) was in vogue, in the early 1800s.

I don't really care if all nine of them did unpaid internships. I don't believe that it's Constitutional, and under no circumstances, will anyone in my family have such low self-esteem as to be doing them.

Well, at least you finally admitted that your retardedness is an opinion.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium