Penn State

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Penn State

Postby cvilleagle on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:43 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:How do the PA residents feel about the hundreds of millions of dollars (at least?) in civil liability that their state now likely has?

Been a while since I was in law school, and this isn't my area of practice, but doesn't the 11th amendment keep the state off the hook?

Short answer, kind of but not really. Waived immunity and shit. I think.

What's the deal with PSU being sovereign (I read something about them being exempt from FOIA). Also, PA funds the university irregardless, and I doubt they'll let their flagship flounder.

Well, if PSU doesn't have sovereign immunity, then Pennsylvania will certainly foot the bill, but if the university is a state agency and is not liable, then you're stuck suing individuals and Pennsylvania isn't going to foot the bill for Sandusky or the AD, or even JoePa at this point.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:47 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:How do the PA residents feel about the hundreds of millions of dollars (at least?) in civil liability that their state now likely has?

Been a while since I was in law school, and this isn't my area of practice, but doesn't the 11th amendment keep the state off the hook?

What's the deal with PSU being sovereign (I read something about them being exempt from FOIA). Also, PA funds the university irregardless, and I doubt they'll let their flagship flounder.

Well, if PSU doesn't have sovereign immunity, then Pennsylvania will certainly foot the bill, but if the university is a state agency and is not liable, then you're stuck suing individuals and Pennsylvania isn't going to foot the bill for Sandusky or the AD, or even JoePa at this point.

You and 9903 team up to chase the ambulances. You both seem very knowledgeable on the topic.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:48 pm

How long before the victims are hiring Betardo, Wiki Esq., for their class-action suit against the ice cream parlor? "Your honor, bananas? Nuts? Come on. That can't be a coincidence. And ice cream scoops? Next to a cone? Was this an ice cream parlor or some sort of sex cauldron?"
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:49 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:Add this...

20 year old film student walks into the Film School department office: "It says here I have to complete an intership for credit. I can't find one that pays. What should I do?"

Secretary says: "Let me call the department head." a minute passes "She'll see you now."

20 year old film student: "I can find an unpaid internship, but I need money if I am going to work. So I am not willing to do that. What can I take for classes instead of this internship."

Department Head: "Hmmmm. I think we have a little problem here. You see, when you applied to this college at this university 3 years ago, you agreed to the sylabus. So if you ever want to actually graduate, you are compelled to do an intership."

20 year old film student: "But they wont pay me anything, and I have to pay YOU for my time on the intership."

Department Head: "That is your problem."

Although not technically a "slave" the student doesn't have leverage here. He or she already screwed up royal when he or she picked the wrong major, not they are boxed in. At this point, the student SHOULD seek legal council and sue the crap out of the school. But, the kid is only 20 and doesn't know any better.

20 year old film student : "I am sick and tired of fetching everyone coffee. Why do I have to do this?"

Assistant Director: "Look kid, this is the way it works. I had to do it. You can quit, but then I'll call your school and you'll get no intern credit. I'll take mine black with sugar this time."

This is called, no self-respect. It is also criminal on behalf of the film studio. I call that kid a slave, you can call him or her anything you want.

Nothing says personal responsibility like suing an institution because YOU made a mistake and don't like it a couple years later!

That is basically, the OWS protest/movement. We have a whole bunch of kids who made terrible mistakes and (a couple years later) want someone else to make them whole. Or we have grown-ups who turned their houses into ATMs (another stupid mistake) and now that they are upside down and can't refinance out of their ever increasing interest rate, they want someone else to make them whole.

In sum:

You are FOR bailing out students who agreed to take on debt and do internships because they didn't know what they were getting into but
You are AGAINST bailing out students who agreed to take on debt and didn't know what they were getting into because it's not someone else's job to make them whole for their mistakes

incorrect

you don't bail out the students with their loans. they need to pay those off

but you don't require them to do anymore unpaid internships to get their degree.

Recalling that you said this about the internship scenario (it's above): "At this point, the student SHOULD seek legal council and sue the crap out of the school. But, the kid is only 20 and doesn't know any better." What is the student suing for? Pride?

to be let out of the requirement of doing an internship.

if a school requires that you do an internship for a degree, and you can't find one that pays (often happens, particularly in this economy) then the university should not hold you responsible for your unwillingness to be a slave. and they legally mandate that you work for anyone (even the school) for free. THAT is what you sue for....

there is no way in fuck I would ever have done an unpaid internship. those of you who did that, you got snookered but good

Unless it is illegal (long ago established that this practice has yet to be deemed illegal), you bound yourself. So this kid shouold be bailed out a requirement (internship) because he didn't know what he was getting into, yet the Occupiers are losers for asking to be bailed out of a requirement (loan repayment) for the same reason?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:51 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

i think there will be a lot of private individuals who will be sued

it appears that too many people knew exactly what Sandusky was. they knew at the ice cream parlour

You could possibly make out a 1983 suit against the AD, and certainly against Sandusky himself. Hell, you could sue Sandusky straight-up.

NOTE: I don't actually know the law that well for these things.

they should just sue white men

http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/mike-friends-blog/penn-state-riots-about-white-men-not-liking-be-held-accountable

mike {l Wrote}:If, like me, you scanned the crowds rioting at Penn State last night after the announcement of the firing of Joe Paterno, you may have noticed that nearly all the people there were white men. The riots were about white men not liking to be held accountable.

As a native Pennsylvanian, I never once considered attending Penn State University. Penn State always seemed like a place full of cliquish white people recalling their glory years of making fun of the dorky kids in high school. More progressive white people and people of color went to big city state schools like Pitt or Temple while whiter, more conservative types tended to dominate the settings of the rural, fraternity-heavy Penn State campus.....

....Old, conservative white men around the state revered the football coach who stayed on well past his prime into his eighties. Paterno stayed on when others told him he was wrong not to change his old ways, well after his coaching seemed ineffective and his team’s record suffered. Paterno’s perseverance in the face of his deficiencies was a beacon of hope for many white men in Pennsylvania who felt their power challenged by liberals and people of color seeking to change their ways.

That's why I paid attention to the crowd rioting on television at Penn State last night. The firing of Joe Paterno upset the natural order that white men like Joe Paterno could rule not based on merit -- as Paterno’s coaching deficiencies showed -- but because white men always had.

You portray this as Michael Moore writing. He did not write that. You should be held accountable for not disclosing this fact.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby BCFAN94 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:52 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

Wow, this is ground breaking are you sure your just a lawyer and not a higher court justice? I especially like the use of the phrase "immunity and shit"....very lawyerly. You might have a case against the law school who printed your diploma. Just sayin'
BCFAN94
Campion Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:52 pm

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

Wow, this is ground breaking are you sure your just a lawyer and not a higher court justice? I especially like the use of the phrase "immunity and shit"....very lawyerly. You might have a case against the law school who printed your diploma. Just sayin'

:popcorn
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:55 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:Add this...

20 year old film student walks into the Film School department office: "It says here I have to complete an intership for credit. I can't find one that pays. What should I do?"

Secretary says: "Let me call the department head." a minute passes "She'll see you now."

20 year old film student: "I can find an unpaid internship, but I need money if I am going to work. So I am not willing to do that. What can I take for classes instead of this internship."

Department Head: "Hmmmm. I think we have a little problem here. You see, when you applied to this college at this university 3 years ago, you agreed to the sylabus. So if you ever want to actually graduate, you are compelled to do an intership."

20 year old film student: "But they wont pay me anything, and I have to pay YOU for my time on the intership."

Department Head: "That is your problem."

Although not technically a "slave" the student doesn't have leverage here. He or she already screwed up royal when he or she picked the wrong major, not they are boxed in. At this point, the student SHOULD seek legal council and sue the crap out of the school. But, the kid is only 20 and doesn't know any better.

20 year old film student : "I am sick and tired of fetching everyone coffee. Why do I have to do this?"

Assistant Director: "Look kid, this is the way it works. I had to do it. You can quit, but then I'll call your school and you'll get no intern credit. I'll take mine black with sugar this time."

This is called, no self-respect. It is also criminal on behalf of the film studio. I call that kid a slave, you can call him or her anything you want.

Nothing says personal responsibility like suing an institution because YOU made a mistake and don't like it a couple years later!

That is basically, the OWS protest/movement. We have a whole bunch of kids who made terrible mistakes and (a couple years later) want someone else to make them whole. Or we have grown-ups who turned their houses into ATMs (another stupid mistake) and now that they are upside down and can't refinance out of their ever increasing interest rate, they want someone else to make them whole.

In sum:

You are FOR bailing out students who agreed to take on debt and do internships because they didn't know what they were getting into but
You are AGAINST bailing out students who agreed to take on debt and didn't know what they were getting into because it's not someone else's job to make them whole for their mistakes

incorrect

you don't bail out the students with their loans. they need to pay those off

but you don't require them to do anymore unpaid internships to get their degree.

Recalling that you said this about the internship scenario (it's above): "At this point, the student SHOULD seek legal council and sue the crap out of the school. But, the kid is only 20 and doesn't know any better." What is the student suing for? Pride?

to be let out of the requirement of doing an internship.

if a school requires that you do an internship for a degree, and you can't find one that pays (often happens, particularly in this economy) then the university should not hold you responsible for your unwillingness to be a slave. and they legally mandate that you work for anyone (even the school) for free. THAT is what you sue for....

there is no way in fuck I would ever have done an unpaid internship. those of you who did that, you got snookered but good

Unless it is illegal (long ago established that this practice has yet to be deemed illegal), you bound yourself. So this kid should be bailed out a requirement (internship) because he didn't know what he was getting into, yet the Occupiers are losers for asking to be bailed out of a requirement (loan repayment) for the same reason?

school isn't slavery.

unpaid work is in violation to the US Constitution. The students upset about their loans have no one to blame but themselves. They picked those schools and asked for the loans. They didn't have to do that. There are a myriad of options. Hell, Newt Gingrich told every student in America (everyone that was watching the GOP debate last night) how to go to an accredited university and graduate without a penny of loan debt, and they do that regardless of their financial situation at home and without a penny from the government.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:56 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:unpaid work is in violation to the US Constitution.

link me
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:57 pm

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

You are the worst poster on the board by a very large margin.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby weinerdog on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:58 pm

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

:81 Here we go again... :lame
"...and, more importantly, me."
--Gene DeFilippo, January 7, 2009.
weinerdog
McGuinn Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:58 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

it appears that too many people knew exactly what Sandusky was. they knew at the ice cream parlour

You could possibly make out a 1983 suit against the AD, and certainly against Sandusky himself. Hell, you could sue Sandusky straight-up.

http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/mike-friends-blog/penn-state-riots-about-white-men-not-liking-be-held-accountable

mike {l Wrote}:If, like me, you scanned the crowds rioting at Penn State last night after the announcement of the firing of Joe Paterno, you may have noticed that nearly all the people there were white men. The riots were about white men not liking to be held accountable.

As a native Pennsylvanian, I never once considered attending Penn State University. Penn State always seemed like a place full of cliquish white people recalling their glory years of making fun of the dorky kids in high school. More progressive white people and people of color went to big city state schools like Pitt or Temple while whiter, more conservative types tended to dominate the settings of the rural, fraternity-heavy Penn State campus.....

....Old, conservative white men around the state revered the football coach who stayed on well past his prime into his eighties. Paterno stayed on when others told him he was wrong not to change his old ways, well after his coaching seemed ineffective and his team’s record suffered. Paterno’s perseverance in the face of his deficiencies was a beacon of hope for many white men in Pennsylvania who felt their power challenged by liberals and people of color seeking to change their ways.

That's why I paid attention to the crowd rioting on television at Penn State last night. The firing of Joe Paterno upset the natural order that white men like Joe Paterno could rule not based on merit -- as Paterno’s coaching deficiencies showed -- but because white men always had.

You portray this as Michael Moore writing. He did not write that. You should be held accountable for not disclosing this fact.

I said Mike. Mike Elk not Mike Moore.

Who do I hold accountable for you being silly?
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby BCFAN94 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:01 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

You are the worst pretend lawyer on the board by even a larger margin and shit.
BCFAN94
Campion Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:02 pm

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

BCFAN94,

Did you ever meet your fellow '94 grads :angrychicken or :tophat ? Or ARE you either :angrychicken or :tophat as an alliass?
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:02 pm

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

Your funny. I'd imagine you're a very likable person with a fulfilling life.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:11 pm

What's worse: a pretend lawyer, or a real lawyer with multiple aids?
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby BCFAN94 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:12 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

I don't usually spend much time pondering anonymous message posters in real life but to each his own.
BCFAN94
Campion Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:12 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:unpaid work is in violation to the US Constitution. The students upset about their loans have no one to blame but themselves. They picked those schools and asked for the loans. They didn't have to do that. There are a myriad of options. Hell, Newt Gingrich told every student in America (everyone that was watching the GOP debate last night) how to go to an accredited university and graduate without a penny of loan debt, and they do that regardless of their financial situation at home and without a penny from the government.

This is not fact, this is opinion. Sometimes you forget there is a distinction.

And stop saying "unpaid work" like unpaid internships are the only form of unpaid work. The terms are not synonymous.

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:The students upset about their loans have no one to blame but themselves. They picked those schools and asked for the loans. They didn't have to do that. There are a myriad of options.

That applies to students who chose a school that required an internship. I'm not sure how much clearer to make it. Keep talking to yourself, though.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:14 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

I said Mike. Mike Elk not Mike Moore.

Who do I hold accountable for you being silly?

But you didn't say Mike Elk. You said "mike". The link within 2 cenitmeters of the name clearly shows the quoted is from "michaelmoore.com". It's misleading. For shame.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:15 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:That applies to students who chose a school that required an internship. I'm not sure how much clearer to make it. Keep talking to yourself, though.

You mean like medical or dental students? Just ponder if we didn't have those, because clinicals became illegal. That would be bad.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:15 pm

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

I don't usually spend much time pondering anonymous message posters in real life but to each his own.

It's not a time consuming process. You try hard to be funny, or to have edgy or contrary opinions. You're painfully unfunny and you stink at arguing. There is occasionally an unintentionally humorous moment when I read one of your posts and it is obvious you thought it would be well received.

It never is.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby rktbrkr on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:16 pm

Nevin Shapiro the little twerp who pimped for the players at Miami looks like an altar boy now, uuuum maybe thats not a good metaphor.

Just think about Sandusky & Nevin sharing a cell, they might never want to come out!
rktbrkr
Campion Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:19 pm

rktbrkr {l Wrote}:Nevin Shapiro the little twerp who pimped for the players at Miami looks like an altar boy now, uuuum maybe thats not a good metaphor.

Just think about Sandusky & Nevin sharing a cell, they might never want to come out!

A university tacitly sanctioning large-scale raping of children is so much worse than cheating that it's not even worth comparing. This isn't just the biggest and most grotesque scandal in the history of collegiate sports; it's the worst scandal in the history of US sports.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:20 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:That applies to students who chose a school that required an internship. I'm not sure how much clearer to make it. Keep talking to yourself, though.

You mean like medical or dental students? Just ponder if we didn't have those, because clinicals became illegal. That would be bad.

If they became illegal, the jobs wouldn't exist because they were only created for illegals.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:21 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

If they became illegal, the jobs wouldn't exist because they were only created for illegals.

Just imagine the lawsuits. Eagle9903 and Civil would get an even bigger windfall from that than they will from the PSU scandal.
Last edited by bignick33 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:21 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
rktbrkr {l Wrote}:Nevin Shapiro the little twerp who pimped for the players at Miami looks like an altar boy now, uuuum maybe thats not a good metaphor.

A university tacitly sanctioning large-scale raping of children is so much worse than cheating that it's not even worth comparing. This isn't just the biggest and most grotesque scandal in the history of collegiate sports; it's the worst scandal in the history of US sports.

According to some, it's still when Swofford put a horse's head in Traghese's sheets...
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:22 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

According to some, it's still when Swofford put a horse's head in Traghese's sheets...

fucking traders
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:22 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Just imagine the lawsuits. Eagle9903 and Civil would get an even bigger windfall from that than they will from the PSU scandal.

And shit.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:22 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

I'm a very bad pretend lawyer.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:22 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

And shit.

gross
bignick33
Fulton Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium