Moss

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Moss

Postby commavegarage on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:27 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:It says something about how the Jets view Braylon Edwards that they decide not to re-sign him in no small part due to questions about his character and instead sign a guy who's been in jail for almost two years.

You do realize there's something called a salary cap in the National Football League, right? Because it doesn't sound like you do.

I realize that the NFL salary cap is largely a crock of shit that can be fairly easily manipulated, and that this is something the Jets to their credit have mastered. How else would you explain a $50 million deal for Santonio Holmes with a cap hit of merely $2.5 million?

You're an idiot. [bunch of non-coherent ramblings]

I don't for a second believe that it was as simple as a one-or-the-other proposition. The Holmes deal as an example that teams can offer big contracts with small cap hits (so that they are both team and player friendly in the short-term) is absolutely relevant in demonstrating that the Jets likely could have signed both Cromartie and Edwards had they chosen to. Obviously salaries had something to do with the Jets' signing Plax as opposed to Braylon, but I believe that Edwards' less than stellar dependability did as well.

There's a reason I don't make statements like this about the Patriots. It's because I don't have anywhere near the knowledge of their cap situation the way I do the Jets. It's funny to watch uniformed people make unintelligent statements. Again, go check what these players were making last year and come back to me telling me that they could've signed Santonio, Edwards, Cromartie and Smith.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:28 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:The Jets couldn't resign Holmes, Edwards, Cromartie, and Smith (not to mention other important players)...to think they could would be stupid. Check out what those players were making last year, then come back to me and say they could.

I never said this, and if you think i believe this then you're completely missing my two points. In fact, this post makes my point for me; there's always dead weight that can be dumped on NFL teams to allow teams to sign the guys they want. It just becomes a cost/benefit evaluation, and the Jets decided that Edwards wasn't worth the $ (and the resulting guy or two that would have to be released), and that's why they didn't re-sign him. They decided that Plax was better value and even at lesser money, it demonstrates to some degree what the Jets thought of Edwards.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:28 am

This is remarkably entertaining.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:28 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:Again, go check what these players were making last year and come back to me telling me that they could've signed Santonio, Edwards, Cromartie and Smith.

Why do you keep typing this?
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:29 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:Again, go check what these players were making last year and come back to me telling me that they could've signed Santonio, Edwards, Cromartie and Smith.

Are you not suggesting they could've kept Santonio, Cromartie and at least Edwards had they wanted to?
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:33 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Are you not suggesting they could've kept Santonio, Cromartie and at least Edwards had they wanted to?

Yes, but there would have to have been corresponding cuts that they didn't think were worth it.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:35 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Yes, but there would have to have been corresponding cuts that they didn't think were worth it.

Care to name those players? Or are you just going to keep making blanket statements that make no sense?
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:37 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Care to name those players? Or are you just going to keep making blanket statements that make no sense?

Admit that the Eagles beat the defending off season champion Jets this off season.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:38 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:It says something about how the Jets view Braylon Edwards that they decide not to re-sign him in no small part due to questions about his character and instead sign a guy who's been in jail for almost two years.

You do realize there's something called a salary cap in the National Football League, right? Because it doesn't sound like you do.

I realize that the NFL salary cap is largely a crock of shit that can be fairly easily manipulated, and that this is something the Jets to their credit have mastered. How else would you explain a $50 million deal for Santonio Holmes with a cap hit of merely $2.5 million?

You're an idiot. [bunch of non-coherent ramblings]

I don't for a second believe that it was as simple as a one-or-the-other proposition. The Holmes deal as an example that teams can offer big contracts with small cap hits (so that they are both team and player friendly in the short-term) is absolutely relevant in demonstrating that the Jets likely could have signed both Cromartie and Edwards had they chosen to. Obviously salaries had something to do with the Jets' signing Plax as opposed to Braylon, but I believe that Edwards' less than stellar dependability did as well.

There's a reason I don't make statements like this about the Patriots. It's because I don't have anywhere near the knowledge of their cap situation the way I do the Jets. It's funny to watch uniformed people make unintelligent statements. Again, go check what these players were making last year and come back to me telling me that they could've signed Santonio, Edwards, Cromartie and Smith.

The Jets salary cap situation was fucked until there was some writing in the new CBA that essentially forgave dead money. That gave them a significant amount of wiggle room that allowed them to go after Nnamdi, with a little help from the way Santonio structured his contract. If you want a very detailed analysis of the Jets cap situation I can direct you to another forum but you don't seem too intent on letting facts get in the way of your argument. In the meantime, please humor us with your analysis on the Jets cap situation oh wise one.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:38 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:Care to name those players?

Not really. I could name 2/3 of their roster if I wanted to.

commavegarage {l Wrote}:Or are you just going to keep making blanket statements that make no sense?

Yes, it's become quite obvious that you are having a hard time following an extremely basic point (that incidentally is complimentary to the Jets organization and the way they've chosen to do business).
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:42 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:

commavegarage {l Wrote}:Or are you just going to keep making blanket statements that make no sense?

Yes, it's become quite obvious that you are having a hard time following an extremely basic point (that incidentally is complimentary to the Jets organization and the way they've chosen to do business).

Whatever "complimentary" statement you're making about the Jets is clearly being overshadowed by your lack of understanding of their contract situations.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:45 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Whatever "complimentary" statement you're making about the Jets is clearly being overshadowed by your lack of understanding of their contract situations.

if you say so
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:45 am

In your world they could sign Andre Johnson, Nnamdi Asomugha, Peyton Manning, Santonio Holmes, Terrell Suggs, and many others. All they'd have to do is "cut a few players" and do a few things with restructuring of contracts. It's so simple!
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:46 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:In your world they could sign Andre Johnson, Nnamdi Asomugha, Peyton Manning, Santonio Holmes, Terrell Suggs, and many others. All they'd have to do is "cut a few players" and do a few things with restructuring of contracts. It's so simple!

Uh huh, exactly what I was saying OJ.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:00 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:In your world they could sign Andre Johnson, Nnamdi Asomugha, Peyton Manning, Santonio Holmes, Terrell Suggs, and many others. All they'd have to do is "cut a few players" and do a few things with restructuring of contracts. It's so simple!

They would not have been able to sign Andre Johnson or Terrell Suggs because they weren't FAs this year. It would have been possible to sign the rest.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:04 am

Does anyone besides CAG seriously believe that the NFL cap is as strict a cap as the NHL's? Is that a commonly held fallacy?
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:10 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:Does anyone besides CAG seriously believe that the NFL cap is as strict a cap as the NHL's? Is that a commonly held fallacy?

It was always my impression that the NHL had the strictest cap, then the NFL, then the NBA.

That being said, I don't know many of the details.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:14 am

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:Does anyone besides CAG seriously believe that the NFL cap is as strict a cap as the NHL's? Is that a commonly held fallacy?

It was always my impression that the NHL had the strictest cap, then the NFL, then the NBA.

The lack of guaranteed money in the vast majority of contracts in the NFL is of course a huge mitigating factor that gives teams significant flexibility as compared to the NHL and NBA. And, last fall they NHL put their foot down on back-loaded contacts after that Ilya fiasco, whereas they are commonplace in the NFL (see Holmes, Santonio).
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:19 am

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

Both the NHL and the NFL have a hard cap that you can't go over. The big difference is that NHL contracts are 100% guaranteed whereas NFL ones aren't. The NHL also uses the average annual value (AAV) of the contract, which can allow for cap circumvention, though that has been significantly, but not fully, curbed post-Kovalchuk signing, which allows for simplicity. The only real complexities arise with bonuses that get carried over to the next year, relief stemming from Long-Term Injured Reserve and the whole buyout process (see: Yashin, Alexei).

But that seems about right. Who knows what's going to happen with the NBA's cap after they sign their new CBA.

Edit: Yeah, what Nick said. Goes to show what happens when work gets in the way of message boardery.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:24 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:(see: Yashin, Alexei).

Did you hear that the Islanders may be interested in bringing him in this year? They might as well suit up Garth Snow and Ziggy Pallfy as well.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:26 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Did you hear that the Islanders may be interested in bringing him in this year? They might as well suit up Garth Snow and Ziggy Pallfy as well.

Marshmont. Marshmont. Marshmont.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:28 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Mike Millbury once traded away Zdeno Chara for Alexei Yashin. Many Canadian people hate Mike Millbury, but that trade has nothing to do with it.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:29 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Yeah. Would be great PR as they're trying to get a stadium so they won't move to Kansas City or [insert large-ish Canadien city here]
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:48 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Mike Millbury once traded away Zdeno Chara for Alexei Yashin. Many Canadian people hate Mike Millbury, but that trade has nothing to do with it.

Chara AND Spezza for Yashin. That and Heatley's Dale Earnhardt impersonation set up their Stanley Cup run.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:59 am

Moss retired today.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:05 pm

I think he was trying to defend Braylon Edwards' honor and he got stuck in a logic box.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:10 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:can someone help me understand if bc's "10-2 season" corresponds with the jets "14-2 season"

thanks in advance

The only team going 14-2 this year is the Eagles, and by 14-2 I mean 19-0. They already won, just like the Heat. Absolutely no way a terrific coach like Andy Reid screws this up.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:34 pm

Did the Jets get a quarterback when I wasn't looking?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:58 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:can someone help me understand if bc's "10-2 season" corresponds with the jets "14-2 season"

thanks in advance

The only team going 14-2 this year is the Eagles, and by 14-2 I mean 19-0. They already won, just like the Heat. Absolutely no way a terrific coach like Andy Reid screws this up.

Thank you for acknowledging our offseason championship.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:01 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Did the Jets get a quarterback when I wasn't looking?

Yes. His name is Greg McElroy.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium