Simple Ideas to boost attendance???

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Simple Ideas to boost attendance???

Postby eagletx on Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:29 am

If you could implement one or more things to encourage an immediate boost in any given single game attendance based on all you actually know about the circumstances as they are, what would that be?

Open Brighton/Newton Campuses to free "first come" parking?

Allow Brighton/Newton tailgating?

General/permanent reduction in ticket prices?

Free matching tickets offers within 24 hours of game time for present ticket holders?

Give-aways and promotions for game attendees?

What?
eagletx
Campion Hall

Re: Simple Ideas to boost attendance???

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:53 am

Contact all the loyal BC fans Gene screwed over when he implemented DBS and say "We screwed up, here are your seats back plus a couple years of Shea Field parking on us." I think this would result in an immediate and long term boost in attendance, even if it only 5% or so.

The only other thing I can think of is a radio advertising campaign giving away the remaining tickets to the Northwestern game to MA residents. Force the people to pick up the tix in person the day of the game and present a valid state ID. Give them access to the Alumni Association/Gridiron Club tailgate thing in the Plex. Opening Day is usually one of, if not the best game atmospheres of the season. It's a great opportunity to sell people on the BC football experience. We are told the economy is still bad and energy prices are higher than they were last summer, so if f people can't afford to go away Labor Day weekend, they will probably be grateful for some free entertainment. Then market future games to them via mail. If you turn 10% of the people who show up into repeat customers, I think it is a win in the long run.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby shockdoct on Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:08 am

Opening up tailgating on brighton campus is likely never going to happen. I just don't see what they have to lose by offering single day $20 parking on the brighton campus with the understanding there is no tailgating allowed.

Probably too late to institute for this year (since you will likely piss off the people who dropped $500 for the year to park), but you could be creative (e.g. allow the $500 donors closer/better parking).

Also do they still allow parking on newton campus? I know in 2003 they did as people parked right outside our window in duchesne.

I honestly wonder how much it costs to rent the 50 or so school buses to shuttle people to some parking lot in needham?
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:37 am

- Treat people who are tailgating like the customers they are. BC football and the gameday experience is a product. We are spending our money on that product only to be patrolled by a gestapo like fun police. Many of the action of the police on gameday would not fly if we were, say, at a bar or a restaurant, so why should it fly on Shea Field?

- Open up Newton Campus to parking

- Charge $XX to park on Brighton campus on a first come/ first serve basis

- Instead of parking out in Needham, could BC make arrangements with Newton North and Newton South High School for the same use? I have no idea about the capacities of each, but Newton is a hell of a lot closer than Needham
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby SignalDeafeningNoise on Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:44 am

Step #1: Stop trying to get asses in the seats for kickoff by encouraging our brothers and sisters in law enforcement to treat loyal alumns like criminals.

Instead, here's a novel idea:

Step #1A: let's make the product on the field exciting enough that fans WANT to see every play. The defense is already there. Perhaps (and this is just pure speculation on my part) balancing our passing and running games and mixing up play-calling will make the offense watchable again.
Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, but it expresses a courage little seen in this day and age...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4OPr_QxoFg
SignalDeafeningNoise
n00b

Postby SignalDeafeningNoise on Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:52 am

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:- Treat people who are tailgating like the customers they are. BC football and the gameday experience is a product. We are spending our money on that product only to be patrolled by a gestapo like fun police. Many of the action of the police on gameday would not fly if we were, say, at a bar or a restaurant, so why should it fly on Shea Field?

- Open up Newton Campus to parking

- Charge $XX to park on Brighton campus on a first come/ first serve basis

- Instead of parking out in Needham, could BC make arrangements with Newton North and Newton South High School for the same use? I have no idea about the capacities of each, but Newton is a hell of a lot closer than Needham

Amen to all of the above. Additionally, the Edison School's parking lot is directly behind St Johns and easily walkable. Why doesn't the City of Boston charge $30-$40 per car, hire a detail, and give the remaining cash to the school, (which, by the way, has one janitor who covers about 5 other schools, as well)?
Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, but it expresses a courage little seen in this day and age...

SignalDeafeningNoise
n00b

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:54 am

shockdoct {l Wrote}:Also do they still allow parking on newton campus? I know in 2003 they did as people parked right outside our window in duchesne.

The Flynn Fund Parking page on bceagles.com does not list a donation level for Newton Campus. Now that may not necessarily mean they don't allow parking there, but it may be by invitation only.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:58 am

free tacos
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:04 pm

Is there some kind of incentive that can be offered to locals to allow cheap, day of parking in their driveways/lawns? BC wouldn't offer that incentive because it would essentially kill their tailgating money grab because people would go for the cheap and easy alternative. But what if we offered free styrofoam peanut recycling to those who allowed parking and drinking and use of their toilets for $50 a day?

With this you would eliminate a lot of problems. Of course BC would likely fire back by not allowing entrance after the game has started or somesuch BS policy to discourage parking at private homes. Or call in anonymous complaints to the police about anyone who was brazen enough to host people on their own property.

sigh.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby NDubEagle on Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:36 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
shockdoct {l Wrote}:Also do they still allow parking on newton campus? I know in 2003 they did as people parked right outside our window in duchesne.

The Flynn Fund Parking page on bceagles.com does not list a donation level for Newton Campus. Now that may not necessarily mean they don't allow parking there, but it may be by invitation only.

It's free, but it's first come first serve when you get the season tix. Also a pain in the ass to get back to.
NDubEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby Eagles97 on Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:41 pm

Put some of the marketing efforts out to non profits (w/ huge discounts $5 or $10 per ticket)... Pop Warner, Boy / Girl Scouts and Boys and Girls Clubs. Find a reasonable place where they can be bused to / from (drop off / pick up near St Mary's?) and provide extra incentives (discounted hot dog and coke, t-shirt, etc).

This would fill up more seats this year and possible create longer term fans.
Eagles97
Carney Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:48 pm

Eagles97 {l Wrote}:Put some of the marketing efforts out to non profits (w/ huge discounts $5 or $10 per ticket)... Pop Warner, Boy / Girl Scouts and Boys and Girls Clubs. Find a reasonable place where they can be bused to / from (drop off / pick up near St Mary's?) and provide extra incentives (discounted hot dog and coke, t-shirt, etc).

This would fill up more seats this year and possible create longer term fans.

This has been practiced for a while now. There are probably just as many kids from non-profits scattered around the country whom have attended BC bowl games as there are local BC season ticket holders who attended those games.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Dirtywater on Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:50 pm

Subject to a lot of details that would need to be thought through:

1. Put cars everywhere and charge $30 (Brighton, Newton). Use the funds in part to employ sufficient numbers of BC students to help with the parking organization and on game day. As previously suggested, find third party space that could be used and let them keep the money. If you have ever been to Wrigley Field - you would see how its done.

2. Restrict tailgating but establish areas in vicinity of stadium as free to all restaurants and food vendors (such as caterers) to set up a promotional food stand to serve food and non alcoholic beverages before game up to 4 hours through end of half time - much like any quality food fair you have been to in the city offering a range from gourmet items to pizza and deserts (no fast food chains). Close down all BC run food operations except inside stadium. All moneys retained by vendor except insurance requirement and a modest fee to defray post game litter clean up costs. Each vendor required to set up certain amount of portable seating. Would be open to everybody regardless of whether they are attending the game. A temporary ticket kiosk with an electric sign in the vicinity of the stadium would announce any remaining ticket availability and sell out remaining game day tickets at a discounted price. If we can't compete with our tailgating experience - let's try to deliver something else that makes the experience unique and fun.

3. Establish a program to allot a certain number of discounted seats for residents of Brighton and Newton who are neither BC students nor employees. Also allot a certain number of free seats for police, fire department and teachers of Newton and for those police, fire and teachers of Boston with a Brighton address and two family members. The mayors and their direct staff get admitted free along with a family member. I know this sounds ridiculous - but the reality is that we need to ingratiate ourselves with the locals and try to turn them over time into fans. Designate a section of the stadium as Newton Corner and another as Brighton Corner for these seats. In the end - it will be money well spent.

4. Set up a one man ticket kiosk under an electric sign announcing ticket availability that people can pull up to in their cars off Beacon or Comm Ave.

5. Never schedule anybody who doesn't pass the laugh test (e.g., Stony Brook, Rhode Island, Weber St, Buffalo.). That doesn't mean we have to play Penn State every week but it means at least a team from a respectable conference (even if its at the bottom of the conference).
Last edited by Dirtywater on Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dirtywater
McGuinn Hall

Postby shockdoct on Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:03 pm

Dirtywater {l Wrote}:1. Put cars everywhere and charge $30 (Brighton, Newton). Use the funds in part to employ sufficient numbers of BC students to help with the parking organization and on game day. As previously suggested, find third party space that could be used and let them keep the money. If you have ever been to Wrigley Field - you would see how its done.

Honestly there are a ton of groups on campus who would probably coordinate the logistics and staff it for free if you gave them a cut of the money. And hell they honestly couldn't do it worse than BC athletics.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby h2o on Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:56 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:- Instead of parking out in Needham, could BC make arrangements with Newton North and Newton South High School for the same use? I have no idea about the capacities of each, but Newton is a hell of a lot closer than Needham

A lot of people forget there is parking in Brighton in the Guest St. parking garage with busing to Alumni. A much better option than parking in Needham even if you live outside of 128. We park in Brighton and "tailgate" in the Plex (actually outside behind the Plex next to the Mods) with a gridiron club membership.

In the past ~8 years or so my group went from parking on campus with tickets on the 40 behind the BC bench to doing the above and sitting in the endzone upper deck. I am fine with this setup because we are not alums and refuse to "donate" money to BC to park on campus and keep the prime seats. We love going to BC games so, although not happy about it, we're willing to put up with it. We actually like the seats we have now better.

As for boosting attendance:
Offer a family type deal of something like four tickets, four hot dogs and four drinks for ~50.00. So you can park in Brighton, get bused to BC, have something to eat, and the kids can go to the fan fest thing in the Plex prior to the game all for 50 bucks.

Make the Fenway marketing group earn their money (and BC needs to spend some) with TV comercials at a time other than 6am on Sunday the last week of August; ads on the Globe, Herald, Boston.com and other web sites, billboard ads, etc. They should be doing this now. BC does a terrible job marketing their teams.
h2o
Campion Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:21 pm

I think a promise that tailgaters won't be roughed up and treated like criminals will go a long way.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby SignalDeafeningNoise on Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Anyone mention the Edison? Boston Public School, right behind St John's? 40+ spaces? Boston? Sticking it to BC? Maybe make a little money? Anyone?

SignalDeafeningNoise
n00b

Postby BCFAN94 on Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:32 pm

First come first served parking.

Beer.
BCFAN94
Campion Hall

Postby UK Eagle on Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:18 am

a) Schedule a big name program late in the season, Texas, Oklahoma, Oregon etc and put single tickets on sale at half time of a cupcake game in Week 1 or Week 2.

b) Win games and/or at least to play with an aggressive offensive game plan

c) Have a staff in place that create a buzz about the program in the local media - the past 3 months their should have been a mass media campaign for the BC Eagles while the NFL was in lock out

d) Improve the gameday experience, although I've never attended a game I hear how poor it curretnly is. Bring back past players for halftime interviews, have fan challenges like kick a 40 yard field goal or try to down a punt in the 5yard line

e) On a different note, I became a father in the early hours of Wednesday morning. Baby Brooke Elizabeth was born at 1.12am weighing 7pounds 13 ounces :D
UK Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby SJeagle09 on Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:10 am

UK Eagle {l Wrote}:a) Schedule a big name program late in the season, Texas, Oklahoma, Oregon etc and put single tickets on sale at half time of a cupcake game in Week 1 or Week 2.

c) Have a staff in place that create a buzz about the program in the local media - the past 3 months their should have been a mass media campaign for the BC Eagles while the NFL was in lock out

d) Improve the gameday experience, although I've never attended a game I hear how poor it curretnly is. Bring back past players for halftime interviews, have fan challenges like kick a 40 yard field goal or try to down a punt in the 5yard line

e) On a different note, I became a father in the early hours of Wednesday morning. Baby Brooke Elizabeth was born at 1.12am weighing 7pounds 13 ounces :D

Congrats! :cheer
:pontif
SJeagle09
Cushing Hall

Postby h2o on Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:20 am

Gene must have read my post, I see an ad on boston.com today and there was a TV commercial last night.
h2o
Campion Hall

Postby Dirtywater on Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:17 pm

UK Eagle {l Wrote}:a) Schedule a big name program late in the season, Texas, Oklahoma, Oregon etc and put single tickets on sale at half time of a cupcake game in Week 1 or Week 2.

Congratulations! Nothing is sweeter than a little girl. But get ready for a new world - a world with two women - you don't have a chance and don't even try to fight back! Your sole purpose in life now is to serve them, bring home the bacon, pay the bills and keep them happy! If you are lucky - they will cook for you occasionally and leave you in peace to watch your BC games.
Dirtywater
McGuinn Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:29 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:- Treat people who are tailgating like the customers they are. BC football and the gameday experience is a product.

Lot of good ideas here but this is where it must start, but not just with tailgaters but all BC fans and potential BC fans. The fact that the AD is just getting around to updating the roster from last fall is a great example of how the fans are treated. After that:

1) get rid of the 30min rule;
b) find someway to have pay per game tailgating spots within walking distance; and
iii) open up another walking entrance onto Shea and allow people to bring booze.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:37 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:- Treat people who are tailgating like the customers they are. BC football and the gameday experience is a product.

Lot of good ideas here but this is where it must start, but not just with tailgaters but all BC fans and potential BC fans. The fact that the AD is just getting around to updating the roster from last fall is a great example of how the fans are treated. After that:

b) find someway to have pay per game tailgating spots within walking distance; and
iii) open up another walking entrance onto Shea and allow people to bring booze.

I get why you need db parking - especially the expensive ones to foot the bill, I just want a study done by the mongos in the athletic department (because, lets be serious, what else do they have to do) how many more cars theyd have to get to break even if they charged on a per game basis of 25/car over the what, 500?, that you have to pay to park on brighton.

Say 6 games at 25 = 150. So youd need roughly 3x more cars. I bet youd get that.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:23 pm

DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:03 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/2014/06/24/could-beer-wine-sales-catch-college-games/hVS1W8XJlAJAIJJ0yHdE8N/story.html

iwnh
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Onyx Blackman on Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:29 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/2014/06/24/could-beer-wine-sales-catch-college-games/hVS1W8XJlAJAIJJ0yHdE8N/story.html

iwnh

I Was NathanHale?
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:39 pm

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:

iwnh

I Was NathanHale?

it will never happen
also, unless beers are $2, people who aren't going to BC games now aren't going to start just because there is a new place to drink.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:39 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

I get why you need db parking - especially the expensive ones to foot the bill, I just want a study done by the mongos in the athletic department (because, lets be serious, what else do they have to do) how many more cars theyd have to get to break even if they charged on a per game basis of 25/car over the what, 500?, that you have to pay to park on brighton.

Say 6 games at 25 = 150. So youd need roughly 3x more cars. I bet youd get that.

Feel like I should be patting myself on the back for this one
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:44 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:

iwnh

I Was NathanHale?

it will never happen
also, unless beers are $2, people who aren't going to BC games now aren't going to start just because there is a new place to drink.

especially if it's limited to 3 low alcohol beers per game
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium