Divisional playoffs

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Divisional playoffs

Postby OldEaglePub on Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:40 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Tri State area losers calling Boston fans "fair weather" may be the funniest thing of all time. I grew up in the Tri-State area rooting for Boston teams. It was impossible to argue with New York Fans, because the only ones that existed at the time were only rooting for the Giants.

Remember how the Boston Garden was packed with lifelong Celtics fans when Walter McCarty and Antoine Walker led the team?

In other news, Springs sucks.

Yes, I do. I was a season ticket holder for the Celtics back then. They drew very well considering they were playing to get Tim Duncan. And I was there 2 years later for the greatest 4th quarter comeback in NBA playoff history.

I'm sure you were. I'm sure you had your choice of any seat in the upper deck then as well.

Whatever. I am sure you are not a Knick or Net fan, so this is pointless. I have you pegged for recently graduated, so you probably like the Bulls.

No, you're right. I'm a Knicks fan.

A connoisseur of irrelevance, you are.
OldEaglePub
Carney Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:40 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Tri State area losers calling Boston fans "fair weather" may be the funniest thing of all time. I grew up in the Tri-State area rooting for Boston teams. It was impossible to argue with New York Fans, because the only ones that existed at the time were only rooting for the Giants.

Remember how the Boston Garden was packed with lifelong Celtics fans when Walter McCarty and Antoine Walker led the team?

Yes, I do. I was a season ticket holder for the Celtics back then. They drew very well considering they were playing to get Tim Duncan. And I was there 2 years later for the greatest 4th quarter comeback in NBA playoff history.

I'm sure you were. I'm sure you had your choice of any seat in the upper deck then as well.

Whatever. I am sure you are not a Knick or Net fan, so this is pointless. I have you pegged for recently graduated, so you probably like the Bulls.

Priceless.

Whatever you say TW. Enjoy the rest of the MLB playoffs.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:44 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

Priceless.

Let me know what happens. Mets fan? You are on a roll. Cap it off by telling me your root for the Islanders. Even better, please, please make my night and tell me that you are from Glen Cove.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:46 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

Priceless.

Let me know what happens. Mets fan? You are on a roll. Cap it off by telling me your root for the Islanders. Even better, please, please make my night and tell me that you are from Glen Cove.

Unfortunately I can't make your night.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:09 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

Priceless.

Ronkonkama?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:18 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

Priceless.

Ronkonkama?

No.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby angryty on Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:45 pm

ballgame just lost all credibility with his comments about the Celts. You could walk into the Fleet Center and get a seat wherever you wanted to in those days. And if you really want to see a pathetic fan base, take a look at the Pats of the early 90s--the only time they ever drew more than 20,000 fans was when they played the Giants. Also, a quick note, while the Mets were drawing 3 million plus in the mid 80s the Yankees were drawing 2,500,000. The bottom fell out on Yankee attendance in the early 90s--the Stump Merrill years of Oscar Azocar, Bobby Kelly, Bam Bam Muelens, Wayne Tolleson and other memorable Yankee favorites (and a team that finished 30 games out of first). 1991 attendance was pretty bad--but a youngster named Bernie Williams was a late season call up who ripped the fucking heart out of the Red Sox in a late season series of Fenway that handed the Al East to the Jays.

Now back to the topic. Knowledgeable baseball observers knew that the idea this version of the Sox was built for the postseason was laughable. The line up was mediocre, the defense is medicore, the middle relief is mediocre. The starting rotation was good but a pale shadow of what it was two or three years ago. The closer was slightly worse than he was in previous years, but his utter collapse today was far worse than his slipping performance. The Sox are sitting where the Yankees were two years ago. They have some nice key components but the infrastructure is old and needs a serious offseason remodeling. The question is whether Theo will gut the roster and rebuild or try to keep this aging jalopy together for one more year. I think he will be smart enough to look at what happened to the Yankees last year and start the rebuild now rather than waiting for an implosion.
angryty
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:55 pm

angryty {l Wrote}:ballgame just lost all credibility with his comments about the Celts. You could walk into the Fleet Center and get a seat wherever you wanted to in those days. And if you really want to see a pathetic fan base, take a look at the Pats of the early 90s--the only time they ever drew more than 20,000 fans was when they played the Giants. Also, a quick note, while the Mets were drawing 3 million plus in the mid 80s the Yankees were drawing 2,500,000. The bottom fell out on Yankee attendance in the early 90s--the Stump Merrill years of Oscar Azocar, Bobby Kelly, Bam Bam Muelens, Wayne Tolleson and other memorable Yankee favorites (and a team that finished 30 games out of first). 1991 attendance was pretty bad--but a youngster named Bernie Williams was a late season call up who ripped the fucking heart out of the Red Sox in a late season series of Fenway that handed the Al East to the Jays.

Now back to the topic. Knowledgeable baseball observers knew that the idea this version of the Sox was built for the postseason was laughable. The line up was mediocre, the defense is medicore, the middle relief is mediocre. The starting rotation was good but a pale shadow of what it was two or three years ago. The closer was slightly worse than he was in previous years, but his utter collapse today was far worse than his slipping performance. The Sox are sitting where the Yankees were two years ago. They have some nice key components but the infrastructure is old and needs a serious offseason remodeling. The question is whether Theo will gut the roster and rebuild or try to keep this aging jalopy together for one more year. I think he will be smart enough to look at what happened to the Yankees last year and start the rebuild now rather than waiting for an implosion.

I actually agree with most of this, especially moving forward with the Sox on offense. They are fine with pitching though, and pitching usually wins if you get any hitting at all. They didn't this postseason.

The Celts, however, were drawing 13-14K in the late 90s early 00s. There were certainly empty seats, but it wasn't a mass exodus. And the team was really, really bad and poorly run.

You are not wrong about the Pats, other than the years. The Pats have been selling well since Bledsoe/Kraft/Parcells. I believe Bledsoe's first year was 92. Before that the Pats did not draw very well, at least from 88-91.

All of that said, attendance is only one measure of whether one is a front runner. I used the empty Yankee Stadiums of my youth as an example. The Yankee Stadium crowds of 1986 to 1991 were downright laughable.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:09 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I do enjoy Yankee fans enjoying a Red Sox loss more than a Yankee win. So nice to have the shoe on the other foot. Me personally, I now no longer give a shit about who wins.
Last edited by hansen on Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby angryty on Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:10 pm

I would give you 90-92 for bad crowds. 86-89 they were averaging 2,500,000 according to the baseball almanac. In 1990 they drew over 2,000,000 and in 91 and 92 they drew 1.8 million. Not great, but still decent for a team that is 30 games out of first--in fact those three years are the only years the Red Sox have ever outdrawn the Yankees (and I will grant you the Yankees have 20,000 seats more to sell per game, but still, if you look at the numbers, The Sox draws are pretty pathetic until roughly 1999. The front runner fans in NY have always resided in the NL.

BTW, when did A-Rod turn into the biggest clutch postseason performer? Un-fucking-believable.
angryty
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:16 pm

angryty {l Wrote}:

BTW, when did A-Rod turn into the biggest clutch postseason performer? Un-fucking-believable.

It's Kate Hudson and her magic twattwinkie juice he rubs on his bat like liquid steriod cream that Barry Bonds used.

Eric Lindros--He had a series of concussions from head banging her.

Mat LeBlanc --Got the Friends job and made $100 million. He was no where.

Owen Wilson-- Another no where actor then got huge roles after tapping her pussy.

Goldie has used her enormous power and movie producer cash and she and her daughter rule Hollywood and now Post-season baseball.

As Casey Stengel would say, "It all makes sense!"
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:21 pm

Without delving into the fair-weather fray, the Sox braggarts need to take their medicine. This team may have been built for the post-season from a pitching standpoint, but the hitters were horrific, as Ty pointed out in his post last week. Ortiz and Bay completely shit the bed.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:44 pm

Jeter and Posada do not have 8 rings for nuthin.

Jeter knew he had no play at first and did not hestiate to throw home to makes ure punto could not score ---and Posada, benched with the Steve Carlton personal catcher horseshit theory..with a laser dart to nail Punt-ohmy.

Bring on the Halos.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:03 pm

YANKEES POST-SEASON SINCE 1996

Texas 9 1 ALDS
Baltimore 4 1 ALCS
Atlanta 8 2 WS
Cleveland 4 2 ALCS
Cleveland 3 6 ALDS
Cleveland 7 8 TOTAL
San Diego 4 0 WS
Boston 11 8 ALCS
Oakland 6 4 ALDS
Seattle 8 3 ALCS
New York 4 1 WS
Arizona 3 4 WS
Anaheim 3 6 ALDS
Minnesota 9 2 ALDS
Florida 2 4 WS
Detroit 1 3 ALDS

79 47

BY SERIES:

Wins Losses ------Series Wins Losses

ALDS 31 22----- 13 58.5%----- 8 5 61.5%
ALCS 27 14----- 8 65.9%----- 6 1 85.7%
WS 21 11----- 6 65.6%----- 4 2 66.7%

79 47----- 27 62.7%----- 18 8 69.2%

Series Records
Texas 3 0
Baltimore 1 0
Atlanta 2 0
Cleveland 1 2
San Diego 1 0
Boston 2 1
Oakland 2 0
Seattle 2 0
New York 1 0
Arizona 0 1
Anaheim 0 2
Minnesota 3 0
Florida 0 1
Detroit 0 1

18 8

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby branchinator on Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:33 pm

Well...Papelbon shit the bed. Had previously gone 26 straight postseason innings without giving up a run. Obviously, this was a terrible time to implode. However, any astute fan knew that he had been walking a tightrope all season. Without an effective splitter, he goes from dominant to very good. In reality, Mark Teixeira's signing pretty much shifted the balance of power in the AL. If he goes to the Sox, they walk to the World Series. Next year, the Sox will be right back in the thick of things in terms of being a playoff team. But Theo's gonna have to overhaul the offense a decent amount to get this team to World Series calibre.

The ALCS is going to be an interesting one. The Angels have always been the Yankees' daddy but that line of thinking didn't really work out too well for the Sox. I think this series goes a full 7 games with the Yankees pulling it out.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:36 pm

So do Yankees fans accept A-Rod now? Has he become a TRUE YANKEE yet?

And to sum up the previous argument, people don't show up when teams suck. They do when teams are good.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:38 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:
BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:
Yanks over Twins in 5
Angels over Sox in 4
Dodgers over Cards in 5

Phillies over Rockies in 5

Yankees over Angels in 5
Dodgers over Phillies in 4

Yankees over Dodgers in 7
Bump your prediction.

Thank God my pre-season deal was lost again!!!!

I had the Cubs in the WS losing to the Yankees.
[/quote][/quote]

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:41 pm

Digging up home plate at the Metrodome without any illegal Mexicans or central or South Americans?

That's un-American.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby buconvict on Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:41 pm

angryty {l Wrote}:I would give you 90-92 for bad crowds. 86-89 they were averaging 2,500,000 according to the baseball almanac. In 1990 they drew over 2,000,000 and in 91 and 92 they drew 1.8 million. Not great, but still decent for a team that is 30 games out of first--in fact those three years are the only years the Red Sox have ever outdrawn the Yankees (and I will grant you the Yankees have 20,000 seats more to sell per game, but still, if you look at the numbers, The Sox draws are pretty pathetic until roughly 1999. The front runner fans in NY have always resided in the NL.

In 1992, the Yankees were outdrawn by the Royals, Brewers, Rangers, Reds, and Mets. That doesn't tell me that Yankee fans are front-runners, it tells me that the team was shitty so people didn't pay money to attend games. I guess I'm missing the correlation between attending games while the team is shitty and being a good fan. I like the Bruins, and have my entire life, but I will not give the Jacobs family my money so that I may watch an inferior product, just as I will not pay the BC Athletics Department for football season tickets after they fire the best coach they've had since TC. It's okay to not go to games when the team sucks. That does not mean that you don't care.

Celtics fans have always been pretty good with the team. IIRC, the Celtics had top-10 attendance in 2005-2006.

re: A-Rod, I think he finally realized that he's one of the 10 best players in the history of the game and that he has nothing to be scared of, it's the pitcher who ought to be scared of him. It's like when people are scared of spiders, then wake up one day realizing how retarded their phobia is, and they just get over it. I honestly think it's that simple.

It'll be interesting to see Theo at work this winter. There were some pretty serious talks with the Padres over Gonzalez and the Mariners over Felix in Julky, so I wouldn't be shocked to see them resume in December. Other names likely to swirl about will be Miguel Cabrera, Carl Crawford, Hanley Ramirez, and a few other players who make too much for their current team to handle. A Miguel Cabrera for Lowell and Papelbon deal makes sense in that the Tigers shed tons of salary, have a decent one year option at third until they find a replacement, and they have two years of Papelbon control. They can walk him to free agency or give him a deal and sure up their bullpen for years. The Red Sox walk away with a premier, Manny-esque talent for pretty reasonable AAV.

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:55 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:
BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:
BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:
Yanks over Twins in 5
Angels over Sox in 4
Dodgers over Cards in 5
Phillies over Rockies in 5

4-4--- Now watch me fold like Papelbon.

Yankees over Angels in 5
Dodgers over Phillies in 4

Yankees over Dodgers in 7
Bump your prediction.

Thank God my pre-season deal was lost again!!!!

I had the Cubs in the WS losing to the Yankees.
[/quote][/quote]

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:14 pm

i'm excited for the dodgers fans to come to town...

http://withleather.uproxx.com/2009/10/dodgers-fans-are-ready-for-the-nlcs
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby JConman on Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:48 pm

"The bottom fell out on Yankee attendance in the early 90s--the Stump Merrill years of Oscar Azocar, Bobby Kelly, Bam Bam Muelens, Wayne Tolleson and other memorable Yankee favorites"

Come onTy, get your shitty Yankee shortstops of the early 90's straight. The immortal Alavaro Espinoza was playing short in the early 90's. Tolleson was a late 80's guy (87?) I believe. You know it's a rough era when All Star Scott Sanderson, closer Steve Farr, and criminal Mel Hall are your "star" players.
JConman
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:10 pm

1941 Brooklyn Dodgers New York Yankees
1947 Brooklyn Dodgers New York Yankees
1949 Brooklyn Dodgers New York Yankees
1952 Brooklyn Dodgers New York Yankees
1953 Brooklyn Dodgers New York Yankees
1955 Brooklyn Dodgers New York Yankees
1956 Brooklyn Dodgers New York Yankees
1963 Los Angeles Dodgers New York Yankees
1977 Los Angeles Dodgers New York Yankees
1978 Los Angeles Dodgers New York Yankees
1981 Los Angeles Dodgers New York Yankees

I witnessed 2 in 76, 3 in 77 and 3 in 78 and 1 in 81.

I am 7-2.

Dan Dreissen hit a HR by me in the right field upper deck in the snow and mist that was going the speed of light. The Rastas who were setting fire to the garbage and rolling joints in Pampers to keep warm, were like the original... WTF MAN.....

Reggie's 3rd HR was simply the greatest sight I have ever seen and explosion and the decks were actually rocking like an earthquake and we ran down to the lower deck.

It was almost as loud as when Thurman hit one out in the ALCS versus KC into the bullpen in deep left.

Now I am old.

I was rich when I was young and had no money.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby angryty on Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:59 pm

Conman,

I remember the great Alvaro Espinoza, but Tolleson was on the Yankees at least through 91. Plus, Espinoza actually went on to play for a couple of playoff teams after he left the Yankees. so he is not the joke that Tolleson was.

My fondest Stump Merril moment involved watching the Yankees take out the Twins (who were one of the best teams in baseball at the time) when the immortal Oscar Azocar hit a Jack Morris fastball that was over his head into the right field seats. A brilliant moment. With that said, the fact that Oscar liked to swing at pitches that were over his head was probably the reason that he didn't make it for long in the majors.
angryty
McGuinn Hall

Postby auggiebc on Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:26 pm

I remember sitting in Yankee Stadium in Sept of 1988 watch the Sox beat the Yankees badly. There were maybe 20K fans in the entire stadium, 10K of which were Sox fans.

Even back then, the Yanks had the biggest payroll and the biggest stadium, yet they could never draw 3 million fans. And they were second fiddle to the Mets. Those were some tough years for the Yankees.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby buconvict on Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:58 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:i'm excited for the dodgers fans to come to town...

http://withleather.uproxx.com/2009/10/dodgers-fans-are-ready-for-the-nlcs

The Los Angeles Dodger fanbase has to be one of the more revolting groups of people in our beautiful nation. It's always nice to see overweight men picking fights with petite females who are standing in the row below them and then shoving them down the stairs.

In my lifetime I believe I have punched 4 people. The most recent of those was at Dodger stadium last September when a polite Latino gentleman in a Mike Piazza tee shirt spat on a girl I was with as we were leaving the game. If Dodger stadium collapsed during the seventh inning stretch, I wouldn't complain. Watching the trailer for 2012 gives me a good feeling.

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby JConman on Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:12 pm

Ty- I stand corrected. According to baseballreference.com, Tolleson's last year with the Yanks (or anyone) was 1990. I'd forgotten he'd lasted that long. I guess the fact he was able to stick with the Yanks for 4 years tells you what kind of organization they had back then.
JConman
Carney Hall

Postby 15Radnor on Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:35 pm

CC Sabathia sucks in the postseason!
94, thanks for the motivation!
15Radnor
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:05 am

15Radnor {l Wrote}:CC Sabathia sucks in the postseason!

I am glad he got his post season ERA down to single digits.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 15Radnor on Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:10 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
15Radnor {l Wrote}:CC Sabathia sucks in the postseason!

I am glad he got his post season ERA down to single digits.

Good enough yet?
94, thanks for the motivation!
15Radnor
Carney Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Shea Field