Old BC pics

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Old BC pics

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:39 pm

Saveagle {l Wrote}:The point is BC might not be playing those Va Tech games In the ACC without thAt Texas game

And I think this point is absurd. BC was still playing Villanova and Holy Cross 5-6 years later. Then came Doug Flutie.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Mosi on Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:05 pm

enough with the debate, if not for Flynn getting us the ND game in 75, Texas home and home in 76 & 77, Tennesse home and home in 77 80 etc we'd be playing the fucking Cross and all the other Patriot Leaguers...now Campy can we get more pics? :whalepants
"Felgie, you Kenmore Kommunity Kollege Eurotrash prettyboy, you're right about one thing, I'm a BC guy and my shit dosen't stink" Mosi on the whiner line 3/23/04
Mosi
McGuinn Hall

Postby 1413overut on Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:18 pm

Thank you Mosi for getting right to the point... :banana
1413overut
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:02 pm

Drastically overstated though it may be. Ahhh, the glory days.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:21 pm

1413overut {l Wrote}:Thank you Mosi for getting right to the point... :banana

Bill Flynn could shit bigger than that twisted incompetent mouse GDFuckup and his stooge Football Program.

Flynn made mistakes, but that was a different time.

BC can admit any qualifier and big woo-woo, our graduation rate goes from 98% to 92% --and we get more talent.

BC is the epicenter for whining excuse making graduation rate card playing Puscadores.

We are no :clownshoes.

Just wait.... BC now has the worst Head Coaching Staff and paradigm approach --- AND!!!----for a school that had QB's and an offensive scheme and play calling that could hang 35 on anyone.

Anyone seen a new dynamic playbook lately and the new Leader?
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:23 pm

I crap on GDF because he can't take the program from very good to elite. In the 70s, the program was irrelevant.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:54 pm

I won this masterbaiting round, campion. None of the younguns took your bait, but I have all 5 of the old guys getting early alzheimers.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:07 pm

Maroon and gold!! Not tan and off red!!!

That interlocking Bc is cool.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:53 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:
campion {l Wrote}:Kelly Elias' goal line game saving tackle vs. Texas, 1976.

After the Flutie Hail Mary and Gordon FG, the most important play in BC football history. Thanks Campion and thanks Kelly Elias.

Really? That humongous play to beat a 6-6 team?

At the time. Texas was ranked Number 1. It got us on the map nationally. In the rear view mirror UT went 6-6 but at the time beating a Number 1 team put us on the map. Add Syracuse win in early 60"s, Yale inn the 20's, Flutie/Miami and Gordeon/ND. Those are the biggies.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:57 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
campion {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
campion {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:

After the Flutie Hail Mary and Gordon FG, the most important play in BC football history. Thanks Campion and thanks Kelly Elias.

They were undefeated and ranked when BC played them, but they finished the season at 5-5-1.

They were undefeated at 0-0 and only ranked on reputation. They stunk that year.

I know that. But they should not have stunk. They had a world class backfield with Earl Campbell and Johnny "Ham" Jones and Jonny "Lam" Jones, a good defense, and arguably the best kicker ever. Darrell Royal claimed that the tean never recovered after the BC loss. Neither did he. He was retired soon thereafter. But they really should have been good that year.

I think 81's point is that the 76 Texas game was BC's first win against a big-gum in a long time. At the time it was huge. Really huge. Much bigger than any local college sports story in Boston in the past 15 years, I'd say.

It may have been a big story, but it doesn't come close to the BC VT game in terms of importance for the program. It's not even top 10.

9--you are sharp and I agree 99% of what you say. But, this is the dumbest statement you have ever made. UT win was NATIONAL news. No one had even heard of BC outside of the Northeast.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:19 am

Now, I like all the old unis better?

I must be old.

Concannon was a Round 1-- #1 pick.

I like the 3 if it was maroon and the shoulder stripes gold.

Thanks.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby AMDG on Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:30 pm

Mosi {l Wrote}:enough with the debate, if not for Flynn getting us the ND game in 75, Texas home and home in 76 & 77, Tennesse home and home in 77 80 etc we'd be playing the fucking Cross and all the other Patriot Leaguers...now Campy can we get more pics? :whalepants

Actually the Teax deal was a 2 for 1. 1974 and 1976 were at BC and 1977 was at Texas.
AMDG
Carney Hall

Postby AMDG on Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:32 pm

campion {l Wrote}:1978. 0 and 11. 1978 captain and current Notre Dame broadcaster Mike Mayock makes a tackle at West Point.

Mayock was a real nice guy - he use to bartend downstairs at MA's.

OT, but speaking of nice guys one of the nicest guys I met at BC was Jim Sweeney.
AMDG
Carney Hall

Postby AMDG on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:28 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
AMDG {l Wrote}:... he use to bartend downstairs at MA's.

i'd always thought the "downstairs bar at ma's" was a myth. as someone that's been down there in the early 90s, the only thing i could ever envision occuring down those stairs was a reenactment of the silence of the lambs theme
AMDG
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:38 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
campion {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
campion {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:

They were undefeated and ranked when BC played them, but they finished the season at 5-5-1.

They were undefeated at 0-0 and only ranked on reputation. They stunk that year.

I know that. But they should not have stunk. They had a world class backfield with Earl Campbell and Johnny "Ham" Jones and Jonny "Lam" Jones, a good defense, and arguably the best kicker ever. Darrell Royal claimed that the tean never recovered after the BC loss. Neither did he. He was retired soon thereafter. But they really should have been good that year.

I think 81's point is that the 76 Texas game was BC's first win against a big-gum in a long time. At the time it was huge. Really huge. Much bigger than any local college sports story in Boston in the past 15 years, I'd say.

It may have been a big story, but it doesn't come close to the BC VT game in terms of importance for the program. It's not even top 10.

9--you are sharp and I agree 99% of what you say. But, this is the dumbest statement you have ever made. UT win was NATIONAL news. No one had even heard of BC outside of the Northeast.

Yes, and BC at #2 in the country beating #8 VT in a monsoon with a Heisman candidate at QB, on the road in one of the toughest places to play in the country, after two TD drives in the last 4 minutes, was small potatoes.

Much bigger win for the program. Just because they didn't do anything with it doesn't matter - after beating Texas in 76, BC was mediocre, and fell to Temple-esque withing 2 years. That Texas game was also the fisrt game of the season. It is just not anywhere near as important.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:59 pm

campion {l Wrote}:Here's what those uniforms looked like. This is Larry Marzetti being sacked vs. Syracuse, 1964. The game was a huge BC upset, by the way.

I like the shoulder stripes.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:03 pm

campion {l Wrote}:
BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:Now, I like all the old unis better?

I must be old.

Concannon was a Round 1-- #1 pick.

I like the 3 if it was maroon and the shoulder stripes gold.

Thanks.

Here's what those uniforms looked like. This is Larry Marzetti being sacked vs. Syracuse, 1964. The game was a huge BC upset, by the way.

I would love to be buried on one of those. I wish it had a small BC logo in the upper shoulder.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:31 pm

campion {l Wrote}:
BCEagle74 {l Wrote}: I would love to be buried on one of those. I wish it had a small BC logo in the upper shoulder.

They did have a BC seal on the right shoulder. The team is carrying first year coach Jim Miller off the field after defeating Holy Cross, 1962.

I was thinking in front, but that seal is even cooler.

Maroon Jersey, Gold numbers, Gold/white/Gold piping, BC Insigina that I ahve a patch for in my drawer on one shoulder and the interlocking old BC on the other........I could retire making thousands of those beauties.

That, that is a uni.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:33 pm

Look at that sweater...even that is cooler than the new stuff we have now.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:33 pm

campy has a neverending supply of CONTENT
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:36 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:campy has a neverending supply of CONTENT

He said he got married at 40. That is because every virgin Irish Lass within a 100 mile radius was violated and her parents liquor cabinet was drained of single malt.

I am salivating for that content with Ty's stories.

Camper is a rounder.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby mod6A on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:56 pm

:whalepants :whalepants :whalepants :whalepants

this does not suck. please continue.

:whalepants :whalepants :whalepants :whalepants
we are all whalepants now
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:57 pm

do you have any of smerlas on the winless '78 team?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Mosi on Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:13 pm

campion {l Wrote}:Coach Jim Cotter and the BC High Eaglets (that's what they were called back then) celebrate their 1977 "Super Bowl" Mass. state championship at Alumni Stadium.

I believe that #10 in that pic is future kicker Brian Waldron, because once he graduated from BC High, my brother wore #10

and :
by AMDG on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:30 pm

Mosi wrote:
enough with the debate, if not for Flynn getting us the ND game in 75, Texas home and home in 76 & 77, Tennesse home and home in 77 80 etc we'd be playing the fucking Cross and all the other Patriot Leaguers...now Campy can we get more pics?

Actually the Teax deal was a 2 for 1. 1974 and 1976 were at BC and 1977 was at Texas.

I don't recall but I know that we didn't play Texas HERE twice during those years, I may have been drunk but I would have remembered that

and Campy, I think that the '65 game at the Point was the first road trip that I went on also, small f'ing world all I remember is the stoplights every 20 feet in Pokieskie (sp)
"Felgie, you Kenmore Kommunity Kollege Eurotrash prettyboy, you're right about one thing, I'm a BC guy and my shit dosen't stink" Mosi on the whiner line 3/23/04
Mosi
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:32 pm

campion {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:campy has a neverending supply of CONTENT

Believe it or not I still have about 75-80 football pics, 50 or 60 hockey pics, and I haven't even looked at the basketball folder yet. Not to mention all of the miscellaneous stuff like cheerleaders, the band, field hockey, and Mosi's lacrosse team. So this could go on for quite a while, unless people think that its making the board suck too much.

74 makes the Board suck. These pics and my new uniform search are priceless.

Did you ever find that 73 South Street picture?

Oh, I am 74....scratch that and get me a jersey.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby 1413overut on Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:04 pm

OK old guys, my first home game was '64 v. VMI. Big game for Brendan McCarthy I believe. When was yours?
1413overut
n00b

Postby Eagledom on Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:22 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
campion {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
campion {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:

Yes, and BC at #2 in the country beating #8 VT in a monsoon with a Heisman candidate at QB, on the road in one of the toughest places to play in the country, after two TD drives in the last 4 minutes, was small potatoes.

Much bigger win for the program. Just because they didn't do anything with it doesn't matter - after beating Texas in 76, BC was mediocre, and fell to Temple-esque withing 2 years. That Texas game was also the fisrt game of the season. It is just not anywhere near as important.

VT in 2007 was a FANTASTIC game. And it was a great season. But in the grand scheme of things, it really didn't mean much and faded away in most people's minds other than BC fans. Unless people are talking about Matt Ryan's college career, that game is forgotten. Not saying the Texas game is any different, but the point is that you guys are nitpicking here. Unfortunately, the ONLY 2 relevant games in BC history in terms of standing the test of time are ND in 93 and Miami in 84.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby AMDG on Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:29 pm

Mosi {l Wrote}: I don't recall but I know that we didn't play Texas HERE twice during those years, I may have been drunk but I would have remembered that

and Campy, I think that the '65 game at the Point was the first road trip that I went on also, small f'ing world all I remember is the stoplights every 20 feet in Pokieskie (sp)

BC lost to Texas 42-19 on 9/14/74. This was the first game that the band wore band uniforms instead of the blazers and slacks worn in prior years.

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/acc/boston_college/yearly_results.php?year=1970
Last edited by AMDG on Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMDG
Carney Hall

Postby AMDG on Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:30 pm

campion {l Wrote}:This was the first BC road game I ever attended, a 10-0 shutout by Army at West Point, 1965. Here is Ed Foley heaving up a pass down the middle.

That is the first BC football game I remember attending.
AMDG
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:39 pm

AMDG {l Wrote}:
Mosi {l Wrote}: I don't recall but I know that we didn't play Texas HERE twice during those years, I may have been drunk but I would have remembered that

BC lost to Texas 42-19 on 9/14/74. This was the first game that the band wore band uniforms instead of the blazers and slacks worn in prior years.

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/acc/boston_college/yearly_results.php?year=1970

First plays by Texas. Pitch to Raymond Clayborn a freshman RB. He took pitch and blew by BC defenders like a cartoon character rabbit.

I said to GF -- he will make a great Rb one day..... Of course NFL DB Pro Bowler. LMAO!

I have told the story 5x here about about Darrell Royal backing team out of locker room stepping on my GF's foot while she was lighting up a cigarette outside of McHugh Forum under Alumni stands.

I turn around and yell "Darrell Royal!"

Darrell says "Can I get the trainer to look at your foot little lady.

I yell Coach Royal !! again.

My GF says rudely no.

74 says for the third time "Coach Royal!!"

GF say I am OK and then 10 minutes later calls me an idiot since I asked for his autograph on the program since it was such a huge game.

Texas said the locker room at MucHugh smelled of urine and was the worst hellhole on earth in the papers.

My present day's skin doctor's sister is married to James Slick Street Qb of Champion 1970 UT team. UT Doctor and goes to every game for 40 years like its a religion.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium