Old BC pics

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Old BC pics

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:54 pm

Any access to the 1973 BC Yearbook and pictures on South Street?
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby 1413overut on Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:18 pm

Not to be completely contrary, but the Barnette picture may be correct in date; the player being blocked by Lynch has stripes on his sleeve, not so in the posted NI uniform. My guess is that is the UMass game.

Didn't Phil Bennett were #33?
1413overut
n00b

Postby Mosi on Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:48 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
GreenvilleEagle {l Wrote}:
BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:Empty stands even back then.

I like the old unis?

BC fans have a long history of tailgates. They will come in the second quarter once the band warms up.

They used to let fans leave at halftime to "freshenup" and come back in. I think they put a stop to that in the late 80s?

up until the mid 80s, post Doug years, they used to give the perfectly named 'Pass Out Checks' so you could go out at half time, and reload so ythat you could be passed out by games end..one cold Nov Sat vs Mass Aggie, I made my way back to the Res to grab some warming fuel for the 2nd half, Wild Turkey 101, as I walked along the track, behind the BC bench and was talking to a couple friends on the team, a member of BC-50 told me to take that bottle under the stands and dump it out. Well I took it under the stands, walked back to my seats on the other side of the field and sure did pour it down, my and my friends throats, mmmmm :whalepants
"Felgie, you Kenmore Kommunity Kollege Eurotrash prettyboy, you're right about one thing, I'm a BC guy and my shit dosen't stink" Mosi on the whiner line 3/23/04
Mosi
McGuinn Hall

Postby 1413overut on Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:26 pm

Yep, my mistake.

The fields to Robsham; don't forget the Snake n Apple! That convenience store where Robsham now is was vital to keeping tailgates stocked!
1413overut
n00b

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:24 pm

:whalepants
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby h2o on Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:57 pm

campion {l Wrote}:Two early pictures of Alumni Stadium. Note the reservoir behind the north end zone, where the Recplex is today.

And the roof of McHugh Forum behind the west stands, played many pee wee hockey games there in the 60's.

And Roberts Center in the background, where the loudest sporting event I ever attended was held - BC vs St. John's in the mid 70's.

Hopefully the Don can get Conte rocking like that night soon.
h2o
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:34 am

Are these pictures you took?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby SJeagle09 on Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:53 am

h2o {l Wrote}:
campion {l Wrote}:Two early pictures of Alumni Stadium. Note the reservoir behind the north end zone, where the Recplex is today.

I realize the campus would be completely different, but this configuration would be awesome to still have. Res coming right up to the stands, great, unobstructed view of the Gasson, Bapst, etc.

:pontif
SJeagle09
Cushing Hall

Postby 1413overut on Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:02 pm

Campion, your description of McHugh and Roberts brings back lots of memories! Right on about McHugh...Conte seems so tame in comparison. What I always thought was cool about Roberts was the second level was really a balcony that made the game feel like it was being played in a pit when the crowd was on fire. Hard to be a visiting team.

Great pictures too.
1413overut
n00b

Postby BCEagle74 on Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:17 pm

Bapst -- 10 degrees hotter than the Sun 1970-1974.

Roberts Center -- 5 degrees hotter.

McHugh Forum -- Heaven at any degree.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby angrychicken on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:04 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:Bapst -- 10 degrees hotter than the Sun 1970-1974.

Same 20 years later
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby bcsoxfan12 on Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:39 pm

Thanks for giving the youngsters a glimpse of the past Campion!!!!! :bowdown :bowdown :whalepants
BC HOCKEY: 1949-2001-2008-2010-2011 2012 and counting :angrychicken
bcsoxfan12
Campion Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:34 pm

campion {l Wrote}:
Mosi {l Wrote}:No Golder Girl?

I still have scars on my arse from playing Lax on the old original astro turf field the cheerleaders are on

You questioning my ability? Of course I have the golden girl...

Not kidding. I dated the Golden gal. She was from Welesley, a commuter. We played tennis all the the time the the RecPlex. She was hot. The baton twirler went to my high school--Marlboro High. Her name is Melody Barrett. She was th national champion baton twilrler. A few years later, Kevin Snow fromMarlboro did some decent field goal and after-point kicking during the Flutie years. Brian Brennan was in my Freshman Orientation class when I was a senior. Nice guy. Could not believe he was a D! receiver. Talk about a gamer who made the most of what little ability God gave him. Brennan could catch the ball in ANY traffic and would always hold on after getting crushed.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:36 pm

campion {l Wrote}:Kelly Elias' goal line game saving tackle vs. Texas, 1976.

After the Flutie Hail Mary and Gordon FG, the most important play in BC football history. Thanks Campion and thanks Kelly Elias.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:39 pm

campion {l Wrote}:Ed Rideout follows Tom Bouguss vs Villanove 1972. Fred Steinfort, BC's all time greatest kicker.

Freddie--the best FG kicker we ever had.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:40 pm

campion {l Wrote}:Playing not to be embarrased. BC vs Notre Dame 1975. Mike Kruczek was one of the 2-3 top rated passers in the US, but Yukica had him hand off all game to kill the clock and keep it close. QB Kruczek, RB Glen Capriola.

I was at the game. Unreal. Had them 3-3 at half. Yuckica wasted the talent of that team. Mike K had a cannon and Glen C was a very good RB.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Mosi on Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:34 am

as we used to chant back in the day

YUCKIA----YOU BASTARD

and Freddie the Foot was still the best kicker ever, lets hope <r Freeze can rise to those levels
:whalepants
"Felgie, you Kenmore Kommunity Kollege Eurotrash prettyboy, you're right about one thing, I'm a BC guy and my shit dosen't stink" Mosi on the whiner line 3/23/04
Mosi
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:47 am

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:
campion {l Wrote}:Playing not to be embarrased. BC vs Notre Dame 1975. Mike Kruczek was one of the 2-3 top rated passers in the US, but Yukica had him hand off all game to kill the clock and keep it close. QB Kruczek, RB Glen Capriola.

I was at the game. Unreal. Had them 3-3 at half. Yuckica wasted the talent of that team. Mike K had a cannon and Glen C was a very good RB.

I just realized why I get so many nightmares...I was at that game......TRE WAS 3 and making donations from his piggy bank.....West Virginia the week after DGF....UNC...TOB 10 favored losses....UGH....so many...

1941-1985---????????

:clownshoes

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:22 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:

After the Flutie Hail Mary and Gordon FG, the most important play in BC football history. Thanks Campion and thanks Kelly Elias.

Really? That humongous play to beat a 6-6 team?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:30 pm

campion {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:

They were undefeated and ranked when BC played them, but they finished the season at 5-5-1.

They were undefeated at 0-0 and only ranked on reputation. They stunk that year.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:44 pm

campion {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
campion {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:

They were undefeated and ranked when BC played them, but they finished the season at 5-5-1.

They were undefeated at 0-0 and only ranked on reputation. They stunk that year.

I know that. But they should not have stunk. They had a world class backfield with Earl Campbell and Johnny "Ham" Jones and Jonny "Lam" Jones, a good defense, and arguably the best kicker ever. Darrell Royal claimed that the tean never recovered after the BC loss. Neither did he. He was retired soon thereafter. But they really should have been good that year.

I think 81's point is that the 76 Texas game was BC's first win against a big-gum in a long time. At the time it was huge. Really huge. Much bigger than any local college sports story in Boston in the past 15 years, I'd say.

It may have been a big story, but it doesn't come close to the BC VT game in terms of importance for the program. It's not even top 10.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:07 pm

campion {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
campion {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
campion {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:

I know that. But they should not have stunk. They had a world class backfield with Earl Campbell and Johnny "Ham" Jones and Jonny "Lam" Jones, a good defense, and arguably the best kicker ever. Darrell Royal claimed that the tean never recovered after the BC loss. Neither did he. He was retired soon thereafter. But they really should have been good that year.

I think 81's point is that the 76 Texas game was BC's first win against a big-gum in a long time. At the time it was huge. Really huge. Much bigger than any local college sports story in Boston in the past 15 years, I'd say.

It may have been a big story, but it doesn't come close to the BC VT game in terms of importance for the program. It's not even top 10.

I disagree. The two biggest games BC has ever played against Virginia Tech were both losses.

I don't disagree. But the 3 through 10 VT games were all more important that a close win by a mediocre BC team over a mediocre opponent 8 years before BC returned to relevance in college football. Some of those next 8 games against VT were wins.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby h2o on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:01 pm

campion {l Wrote}:They had a world class backfield with Earl Campbell and Johnny "Ham" Jones and Jonny "Lam" Jones, a good defense, and arguably the best kicker ever. Darrell Royal claimed that the tean never recovered after the BC loss. Neither did he. He was retired soon thereafter. But they really should have been good that year.

This. That 1976 Texas team was stacked and was ranked 7 preseason. They were supposed to walk in and stomp BC into the ground. That win can't be underestimated in terms of the effect it had in Boston. There was more local college (and high school) media covereage back then and they went nuts. I remember walking out of Alumni and some Texas fans were ahead of us. One of them, a guy wearing a big ten gallon cowboy hat, turns around and says to us "I can't belive BC just beat Texas, you just beat Texas for God sake!" He was in the state of shock, we were screaming at the top of our lungs. Good times.
h2o
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:05 pm

h2o {l Wrote}:
campion {l Wrote}:They had a world class backfield with Earl Campbell and Johnny "Ham" Jones and Jonny "Lam" Jones, a good defense, and arguably the best kicker ever. Darrell Royal claimed that the tean never recovered after the BC loss. Neither did he. He was retired soon thereafter. But they really should have been good that year.

This. That 1976 Texas team was stacked and was ranked 7 preseason. They were supposed to walk in and stomp BC into the ground. That win can't be underestimated in terms of the effect it had in Boston. There was more local college (and high school) media covereage back then and they went nuts. I remember walking out of Alumni and some Texas fans were ahead of us. One of them, a guy wearing a big ten gallon cowboy hat, turns around and says to us "I can't belive BC just beat Texas, you just beat Texas for God sake!" He was in the state of shock, we were screaming at the top of our lungs. Good times.

I didn't dispute that it was a big media story. I do, however, think the fact that no one on this board under the age of 40 has any idea about that game is indicative of the actual point, which is whether it is the 3rd biggest game, in terms of impact, in BC football history.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Saveagle on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:13 pm

Campion is right. That game proved that BC could compete with the big time programs. It was huge in terms of peception for the program. Of course it all came crashing down in the form of 0-11 two years later.
Saveagle
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:31 pm

Saveagle {l Wrote}:Campion is right. That game proved that BC could compete with the big time programs. It was huge in terms of peception for the program. Of course it all came crashing down in the form of 0-11 two years later.

And therein lies my point. The game really didn't mean much, and it was undermined by the fact that despite some talent at RB, that Texas team was grotesquely overrated.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby h2o on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:45 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Saveagle {l Wrote}:Campion is right. That game proved that BC could compete with the big time programs. It was huge in terms of peception for the program. Of course it all came crashing down in the form of 0-11 two years later.

And therein lies my point. The game really didn't mean much, and it was undermined by the fact that despite some talent at RB, that Texas team was grotesquely overrated.

But the BC win over VT in 2007 isn't undermined by BC following it up with back to back losses to FSU, MD and then a rematch game with VT in the ACCCG?
h2o
Campion Hall

Postby 1413overut on Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:09 pm

I agree with Campion; impossible to relate eras. It was a cornerstone to the development of the BC athletic program though. Teams of Texas' caliber wouldn't schedule a BC. The series was set up through the friendship that Bill Flynn and Darrell Royal developed through Flynn's NCAA work (Flynn three years later became the first AD ever elected President of the NCAA). The win, and the respect BC got for it, set the stage for program to develop since. And as I said before Chlebek almost blew it. But his failure to run a respectable (no bad apples) program lead directly to Bicknell's hiring and, well you know the rest...
1413overut
n00b

Postby Saveagle on Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:37 pm

The point is BC might not be playing those Va Tech games In the ACC without thAt Texas game
Saveagle
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:37 pm

h2o {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

But the BC win over VT in 2007 isn't undermined by BC following it up with back to back losses to FSU, MD and then a rematch game with VT in the ACCCG?

Not really. They went to the ACCCG twice in the two years, while the 76 team went 8-3, and almost destroyed the program two years later.

I know you old timers like to think of that game as the little engine that could taking on the powerhouse, and setting the stage for the rise of the football program. But the reality is that that BC team was just pretty good, and lost to Villanova, Texas was pretty bad, and went 5-5-1, nothing really came from the win, as the program nearly fell apart shortly thereafter. Between the Leahy era, the Flutie era, the Coughlin era, the Ryan era and yes, maybe even some of the TOB era, I can think of 10 games off of the top of my head that were more important than that 1976 game at the start of the season.

Like I said, just an opinion from a guy that was 3 at the time of the game. But I think people ranking the first game of the year as the third greatest win in history simply because of the names on the front of the jerseys are lying to themselves out of nostalgia.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium