Divisional playoffs

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Divisional playoffs

Postby auggiebc on Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:06 pm

Twinkies over Tigers tomorow nite

Yanks over Twinkies in 4
Sox over Angels in 4

Cards over Dodgers in 5
Phillies over Rockies in 3
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Re: Divisional playoffs

Postby Salzano14 on Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:28 pm

Twins over Tigers

---

Yankees over Twins in 5
Red Sox over Angels in 4

Cards over Dodgers in 5
Rockies over Phillies in 3

---

Yankees over Red Sox in 5
Rockies over Cards in 5

---

Yankees over Rockies in 6

---
The Yankees are the best team in baseball and the Red Sox will need to play their best ball of the year to get by them. If the Yankees get to the World Series the only team that *MAY* beat them is a Rockies team who has been RED HOT.

I'm a Sox fan.
Last edited by Salzano14 on Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I prefer hockey.
Salzano14
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:09 pm

Tigers over Twins tomorow nite

Yanks over Tigers in 5
Angels over Sox in 4

Dodgers over Cards in 5
Phillies over Rockies in 5

Yankees over Sox in 5
Dodgers over Phillies in 4

Yankees over Dodgers in 7

FINISH OFF THE DEAL HERE!!!
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby auggiebc on Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:23 pm

I was going to save my LCS picks until later. But I'll save you all the suspense.

REMATCH.

Red Sox over Cards in 6.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby Shredder on Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:25 pm

I think the Tigers will beat the Twins tomorrow and think the Yankees will have a hard time getting past them in the first round. If the Yankees choose the long series--which they should if only because it makes the Central team turn around, travel and play in NY the very next night--that gives Verlander starts in games 2 and 5. C.C. will likely pitch 1 and 4 but his postseason record and cold day record are not good. You have no idea what to expect with Burnett. Pettite had a good year and a great postseason record behind him but is no longer the famed postseason number two he once was. Joba has a 4 IP, 5 ER line written all over him as he's really shown to be little more than a mediocre starter.

It's hard not to like the Red Sox in a series against the Angels but Beckett has been iffy the past few weeks. While Lackey has trouble with the Sox, Kazmir and Saunders at the end of the rotation do not. I just have a feeling the Red Sox are in for a nice run. There's a lot to back that up, with Drew and Martinez tearing it up down the stretch and the return of Dice-K but mostly it's just one of those feelings. The Sox have an edge in relief pitching as Fuentes looks like a time bomb every time he takes the mound. Also, I wouldn't bet against Francona in the postseason with a rested team and set rotation.

I think the Phillies have the best combination of pitching and hitting in the NL. As great as Pujols and Holliday have been, I don't see a lot in the Cards. They'll probably still get past the Dodgers in their division series as it looks like they moped through a soft division (although the Cards enjoyed their division; it's hard not to when Cincy and Pittsburgh are there every year).

The series I want to see is Red Sox vs. Phillies and I like those chances.
Shredder
McGuinn Hall

Postby 15Radnor on Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:30 pm

Playoff: Tigers over Twins

ALDS: Yankees over Twins in 3
ALDS: Sawx over Angels in 4

ALCS: Yanks over Sawx in 7
---------------------------------------------------
NLDS: Cards over Dodgers in 4
NLDS: Phillies over Rockies in 5

NLCS: Phillies over Cards in 6
------------------------------------------------

World Series: Yanks over Phillies in 6
Last edited by 15Radnor on Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
94, thanks for the motivation!
15Radnor
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:35 pm

I don't have a lot of confidence in the Red Sox. It seems like they are very inconsistent.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby branchinator on Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:47 pm

ALDS: Yanks over Twins/Tigers in 4 games
ALDS: Angels over Sox in 5 games

NLDS: Cardinals over Dodgers in 5
NLDS: Phillies over Rockies in 4

ALCS: Yankees over Angels in 6
NLCS: Phillies over Cardinals in 7

World Series: Yankees over Phillies in 6
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby auggiebc on Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:56 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:I don't have a lot of confidence in the Red Sox. It seems like they are very inconsistent.

95 wins without a healthy rotation all year long is inconsistent?

With a healthy Dise-K and Wakefield we are talking about a 100+ win team.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:20 pm

auggiebc {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:I don't have a lot of confidence in the Red Sox. It seems like they are very inconsistent.

They've lost 5 in a row or more 3 times since the All Star break.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby Salzano14 on Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:54 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
auggiebc {l Wrote}:

They've lost 5 in a row or more 3 times since the All Star break.

Other than the garbage games where they used the PawSox, they were playing pretty well toward the end of the season.
I prefer hockey.
Salzano14
McGuinn Hall

Postby Puerto Rico Eagle on Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:32 am

Yankees over Twins in 4...
BoSox over Angels in 4...

Cards over Dodgers in 5...
Phillies over Rockies in 4...

Red Sox over Yankees in 7...
Cardinals over Phillies in 6...

Red Sox over Cards in 6...
Puerto Rico Eagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby ZBC2001 on Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:44 am

Angels over Sox in 5...

Dodgers over Cards in 5...
Phillies over Rockies in 4...

Yankees over Angels in 6
Dodgers over Phillies in 6

Yankees over Dodgers in 5
ZBC2001
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:13 am

Sox over Angels in 6...

Dodgers over Cards in 5...
Phillies over Rockies in 5...

Yankees over Sox in 6
Phillies over Dodgers in 7

Phillies over Yankees in 6
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:07 am

The Yankee starting pitching has just about 0% chance of making it through the first two rounds. The Tigers, Red Sox and Angels all are substantially better pitching staffs, and that is what wins this time of year.

Tigers over Yankees in 4
Sox over Angels in 5 (winner of this series wins the World Series)

Sox over Tiger in 5

Don't care about the minor league teams.

Sox over minor league representative in 5.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:17 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}: Sox over minor league representative in 5.

if lidge, hamels and lee weren't shitting all over themselves i would argue with you about this.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:21 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The Yankee starting pitching has just about 0% chance of making it through the first two rounds. The Tigers, Red Sox and Angels all are substantially better pitching staffs, and that is what wins this time of year.

Tigers over Yankees in 4

Sox over Tiger in 5

explain to me how the red sox can match up with carpenter, wainwright, piniero, smoltz... i doubt the redsox can make it to the world series but if so then i'll enjoy the cards exacting revenge for '04 when carpenter was hurt in the post-season.

Yanks over whomever
Angels over Red Sox
Cards over Dodgers
Phillies over Rockies (?)
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:29 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The Yankee starting pitching has just about 0% chance of making it through the first two rounds. The Tigers, Red Sox and Angels all are substantially better pitching staffs, and that is what wins this time of year.

Tigers over Yankees in 4

Sox over Tiger in 5

explain to me how the red sox can match up with carpenter, wainwright, piniero, smoltz... i doubt the redsox can make it to the world series but if so then i'll enjoy the cards exacting revenge for '04 when carpenter was hurt in the post-season.

Is this a real question, or are you trying to be funny? Piniero is terrible, the Sox cut Smoltz, and the other two, while decent, pitch in a league where they face few tough hitters (the toughest of which is on their own team) and get to go against the pitcher.

Of Carpenter, Wainwright, Piniero, Smoltz, Beckett, Lester, Bucholz, DiceK, Beckett and Lester are the two best pitchers, and I'd take the Sox staff every day of the week. Especially when you add in that they have the best and deepest bullpen I have seen in years.

Talk to me about how good Chris Carpenter was in the AL, or how great he and Wainwright would be facing the Rays and Yankees 8-10 times a year.

Assuming Beckett is healthy, which is a big assumption that I will make for these purposes, the Red Sox are the best playoff team of the bunch. I for one can't wait to see CC Sabathia and Burnett fold up like a bad poker hand in the playoffs again.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:33 am

campion {l Wrote}:I like it when the second place team wins the world championship. The 2004 Red Sox are Pretenders to the championship. The Marlins have two WS titles but have never finished in first place in franchise history. These fuckpigs wrecked baseball.

all i'm saying is that the 2004 WS would have been a completely different series had Carpenter been healthy. the final outcome might have been the same but i'd like to think with a Cy Young pitcher on the mound it would have been much closer.

i guess i shouldn't be that upset though because the 2006 cards won the title and were not the most deserving team so i guess it all evens out in the end.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:36 am

campion {l Wrote}:I like it when the second place team wins the world championship. The 2004 Red Sox are Pretenders to the championship. The Marlins have two WS titles but have never finished in first place in franchise history. These fuckpigs wrecked baseball.

There is a tremendous difference between winning over 162 games and winning 3 consecutive short series. Smart teams build playoff rosters. In your world, why bother having playoffs at all? Just anoint the team with the best record. While we are at it, I guess we can go back and make the 16-0 Patriots the Super Bowl champions, but take away their first championship as a wild card team, since the second place team should not be in it.

The Red Sox tied for the third best record in baseball despite stumbling down the stretch while getting the rotation in order. I say we kick St. Louis, which finished 4 games behind the Red Sox, out of the playoffs. Or Philly, which finished 2 games behind the Red Sox. Or the winner of today's battle of mediocrity, which will finish 8 games behind the Red Sox.

Red Sox have built their team to make the playoffs, but be the best team once they get there. It has worked twice in the past 5 seasons.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:37 am

hansen {l Wrote}:

all i'm saying is that the 2004 WS would have been a completely different series had Carpenter been healthy. the final outcome might have been the same but i'd like to think with a Cy Young pitcher on the mound it would have been much closer.

i guess i shouldn't be that upset though because the 2006 cards won the title and were not the most deserving team so i guess it all evens out in the end.

They got swept.

The team that wins is the most deserving period. Campion's theory is stupid.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:38 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

Tigers over Yankees in 4

Sox over Tiger in 5

Is this a real question, or are you trying to be funny? Piniero is terrible, the Sox cut Smoltz, and the other two, while decent, pitch in a league where they face few tough hitters (the toughest of which is on their own team) and get to go against the pitcher.

Of Carpenter, Wainwright, Piniero, Smoltz, Beckett, Lester, Bucholz, DiceK, Beckett and Lester are the two best pitchers, and I'd take the Sox staff every day of the week. Especially when you add in that they have the best and deepest bullpen I have seen in years.

Talk to me about how good Chris Carpenter was in the AL, or how great he and Wainwright would be facing the Rays and Yankees 8-10 times a year.

Assuming Beckett is healthy, which is a big assumption that I will make for these purposes, the Red Sox are the best playoff team of the bunch. I for one can't wait to see CC Sabathia and Burnett fold up like a bad poker hand in the playoffs again.

smoltz was tipping pitches. the fact your coaching staff couldn't pick up on that doesn't say much for them. as for the best pitchers, i'll admit that Beckett is an outstanding pitcher but carpenter is just as filthy. Carpenter is one of those pitchers who emerged from TJ surgery and became a much better pitcher. there are other examples of this. i'll give you that your closer is better... but the cardinals have a crazy good 1-2 punch in Pujols (the best hitter in all of baseball and arguably the best player in the game right now) and Matt Holliday. the red sox have a deeper lineup but that's a result of the DH... AL teams will always (or should at least) have deeper lineups. and, as for the devil rays, they were awful this year.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:43 am

one more thing about the cards as much as i hope they win the WS, i must admit they are playing some of their worst baseball in months lately. i'm hoping this was a result of lack of motivation but who knows, it's too early to tell. they've shown a lack of clutch hitting lately which is something very important in the playoffs.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:46 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

Tigers over Yankees in 4

Sox over Tiger in 5

smoltz was tipping pitches. the fact your coaching staff couldn't pick up on that doesn't say much for them. as for the best pitchers, i'll admit that Beckett is an outstanding pitcher but carpenter is just as filthy. Carpenter is one of those pitchers who emerged from TJ surgery and became a much better pitcher. there are other examples of this. i'll give you that your closer is better... but the cardinals have a crazy good 1-2 punch in Pujols (the best hitter in all of baseball and arguably the best player in the game right now) and Matt Holliday. the red sox have a deeper lineup but that's a result of the DH... AL teams will always (or should at least) have deeper lineups. and, as for the devil rays, they were awful this year.

Smoltz was tipping pitches? It had nothing to do with the fact that he was facing the Yankees, Rays and Blue Jays offenses?

Chris Carpenter is a good pitcher. He'd be a solid #3 on the Red Sox. And it is not just the closer - the Red Sox have three closers (Paps, Saito and Wagner), one of whom is a lefty, and 3-4 above average MLB set up men (Bard, Ramirez, Okajima, Bard). One of which throws 100 mph. The Red Sox middle of the lineup (Martinez, Youkilis and Ortiz) is actually a little weaker than it has been, but it is deep, even without a DH. Gonzalez is the only soft spot now that Varitek won't play - Bay, Drew and Lowell bat 6, 7 and 8.

The Rays were not awful this year. They got bad pitching and traded their ace, but their lineup is sick, which was the point. Beckett doesn't face their pitchers.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:47 am

One more thing - Matt Holiday was fucking terrible in the AL.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:49 am

Where would you place Beckett in the Phillies rotation? Taking out of the equation that Lee has been miserably overused.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby talon on Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:49 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

There is a tremendous difference between winning over 162 games and winning 3 consecutive short series. Smart teams build playoff rosters. In your world, why bother having playoffs at all? Just anoint the team with the best record. While we are at it, I guess we can go back and make the 16-0 Patriots the Super Bowl champions, but take away their first championship as a wild card team, since the second place team should not be in it.

The Red Sox tied for the third best record in baseball despite stumbling down the stretch while getting the rotation in order. I say we kick St. Louis, which finished 4 games behind the Red Sox, out of the playoffs. Or Philly, which finished 2 games behind the Red Sox. Or the winner of today's battle of mediocrity, which will finish 8 games behind the Red Sox.

Red Sox have built their team to make the playoffs, but be the best team once they get there. It has worked twice in the past 5 seasons.

I hate when people compare the NFL to Major League Baseball. The longer a regular season, the less important playoffs are in determining the best team.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:54 am

if the AL is so dominant, then why since 2000 is it AL 5, NL 4?

2000 New York Yankees
2001 Arizona Diamondbacks
2002 Anaheim Angels ◊
2003 Florida Marlins ◊
2004 Boston Red Sox ◊
2005 Chicago White Sox
2006 St. Louis Cardinals
2007 Boston Red Sox
2008 Philadelphia Phillies

i agree the AL is probably a deeper league but in terms of the top teams the talent is comparable.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:54 am

campion {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

You taught me everything I know about casting bait, Teddy. Nice to see you.

I am not saying that the post season should be eliminated, or even that there shouldn't be diviions. But the 3 division set up they have now is bogus. Two divisions, champions play for LCS.

:lame The playoffs have never been better than they have been with the 8 team format. Some of the most epic series of my lifetime have occurred in the past 15 years (04 Sox/Yanks ALCS, 03 Sox/Yanks ALCS, (01 Yanks D-Backs WS, 97 Marlins/Indians WS, 04 Sox/As ALDS, 95 Yanks/Ms ALDS, 07 Indians/Sox ALCS, 08 Rays/Sox ALCS, 99 Indians/Sox ALDS). Those are just the ones I can remember - The Yankees have been in several other great ones.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:57 am

talon {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I hate when people compare the NFL to Major League Baseball. The longer a regular season, the less important playoffs are in determining the best team.

Again, why do they let the teams that don't have the best record play in the playoffs? Why has the MLB championship never just been awarded to the team with the best record after 162 games? Because the point has never been to have the best record. The point is the win the World Series.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Next

Return to Shea Field