Pro Defections Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Pro Defections Thread

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:28 am

If it was contract signing instead of ice time, all of these guys wouldn't sign with playoff teams before the playoffs were over. For example, no way the Broons signed Cross to help them now. Does he lose a year?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:32 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:If it was contract signing instead of ice time, all of these guys wouldn't sign with playoff teams before the playoffs were over. For example, no way the Broons signed Cross to help them now. Does he lose a year?

You could be right that it refers to practice time.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:40 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:If it was contract signing instead of ice time, all of these guys wouldn't sign with playoff teams before the playoffs were over. For example, no way the Broons signed Cross to help them now. Does he lose a year?

You could be right that it refers to practice time.

That would make sense.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:57 am

You can get around the issue by signing these guys to basically tryout contracts and just have them play with the AHL team and, once the season is over, sign them to an ELC. The tryout contracts can only be for a short period but I believe the rules are suspended for the playoffs, so a lot of guys that aren't eligible for the AHL yet but are still in juniors can get some exposure to the organization and vice versa.

With regards to the practicing part, Cross participated in the development camp, which is not illegal for juniors or college players to do. It's not the full team and just includes guys that aren't signed or on the AHL team, though I'm not positive about the latter. Krieder has practiced with Rangers players but I believe that was before training camp and was a captain's practice. I'm not positive but I don't believe college players can participate in camp without a contract. Juniors players may participate in camp but you have to be either 20 or 21 to be eligible for the AHL so most get sent back to the juniors team. Additionally, NHL teams can have a juniors player be on the roster for 9 games. They have to get sent back to the juniors team or one year off the ELC will be burned.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:10 pm

Kreider practiced today. He skated with Boyle and Fedotenko.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/nhlblog/k ... 4ZGNKPa30O
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:35 am

Days After Winning It All, Five Eagles Sign Professional Contracts

Just days after winning a national championship for Boston College, five members of the hockey team have signed contracts to begin their professional careers. Adding to their whirlwind of a week, each player has either already left to start suiting up for their new team, or will be doing so in the coming days.

On Monday night, Paul Carey, Barry Almeida, and Chris Kreider went to Cityside with their agent, and talked over their deals together. Carey and Almeida, who are roommates and captains together, made their signings official in a special way.

“I’m lucky to have the same agent as Barry and Chris, so we all met up,” Carey said. “I was [Barry’s] witness, he was mine, and we signed.”

Carey signed with the Colorado Avalanche, and left Chestnut Hill on Wednesday morning at 5:50 a.m. to join their AHL affiliate, the Lake Erie Monsters.

“It’s amazing. It’s a lot of stuff going on all at once. You get the signing and the trophy and stuff like that. It’s just all coming at me so fast, I really haven’t had time to relax, but it’s a great feeling.”

After going undrafted, Almeida was offered a contract by the Washington Capitals, and the second team All-American accepted the offer.

“The Washington Capitals organization offered me a contract, and it was a good offer. I’m very pleased to be a part of their organization,” Almeida said. “It’s crazy. This week has just been surreal so far. I take off next week and start my new chapter, I guess.”

Almeida has been assigned to the Capitals’ AHL team, the Hershey Bears. He will join them next Monday or Tuesday, and will suit up with his cousin, T.J. Syner.

“It’s going to be pretty cool,” Almeida said about playing with his cousin.

The other three Eagles all signed their contracts on Tuesday.

Cross made a visit to the Boston Bruins in the morning, and officially signed his contract with the defending Stanley Cup champs after being drafted by them in 2007.

“It’s special,” Cross said. “It’s an honor to sign with such a great organization.

“I think right now, it hasn’t really settled in. My mind is still here at BC. I’ve had four unbelievable years here, and it’s sad to see it come to an end. But when one door closes, another door opens. But I’m still not shutting the door here yet. I love it here, and a part of my heart will always be here.”

Cross is expected to make his professional debut on Friday night with the Providence Bruins, Boston’s AHL squad.

The two juniors to leave were Kreider and Brian Dumoulin. The two have long been coveted by the New York Rangers and the Carolina Hurricanes, respectively, and they finally made it official on Tuesday.

Kreider signed his contract with the Rangers, and has since joined them in New York as the team prepares for the Stanley Cup Playoffs. It is yet to be determined whether or not he will suit up for the Rangers in the playoffs, but his contributions to winning teams at BC certainly helps his chances.

“You can’t emphasize enough how important it is how much winning [Kreider] has done already in his career,” Rangers assistant general manager Jeff Gorton said in a statement. “When you win consistently at a young age like Chris has, it becomes your mindset. In addition, we love his desire to consistently try and improve his all-around game.”

Dumoulin signed a three-year entry-level contract with the Hurricanes a few hours before Tuesday’s parade.

“It feels good, especially going out as a winner,” Dumoulin said. “I’m excited about the opportunity.”

The big-frame defenseman left yesterday to join the Charlotte Checkers in the AHL.

“Brian is a big, puck-moving defenseman who achieved at a high level throughout his time at Boston College,” said Ron Francis, Carolina’s director of Hockey Operations, in a statement. “His success there speaks for itself, and it is important for his continued development that he now begins his professional career.”

http://www.bcheights.com/sports/days-af ... 4baAlFAaUk
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:30 am

The kid says it looks like Kevin is staying for his JR year, as he should.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Previous