Vinny Saponari to BC

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Vinny Saponari to BC

Postby bignick33 on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:25 pm

Former BU player Vinny Saponari has transferred to BC. He was kicked off BU in the spring for non-performance issues. More recently, he has been playing in the USHL for the upstart Dubuque Fighting Saints.

http://thebostonhockeyblog.blogspot.com ... to-bc.html

Here is an article about his dismissal:

http://www.dailyfreepress.com/sports/vi ... -1.2258421
I drink whiskey instead of water.
User avatar
bignick33
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 12824
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:31 pm
Karma: 909

Re: Vinny Saponari to BC

Postby claver2010 on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:51 pm

I hope that is a joke.

We're losing a ton post 2011 but still...

Edit: let me take this back, always one of my most hated BU ratdogs, just crazy.
2016 Death Pool Champion
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16046
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 2696

Re: Vinny Saponari to BC

Postby bignick33 on Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:32 pm

claver2010 wrote:I hope that is a joke.

We're losing a ton post 2011 but still...

Edit: let me take this back, always one of my most hated BU ratdogs, just crazy.


He's a bitch on the ice. In a good way. He's also extremely skilled. So, I'll take it.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
User avatar
bignick33
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 12824
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:31 pm
Karma: 909

Re: Vinny Saponari to BC

Postby shockdoct on Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:02 pm

Hrmm interesting. A BC guy that graduated with me in '07 is in the FO of the USHL team in Dubuque. Probably recognize his Dad, Joe Micheletti. I bet he has something to do with this.

http://dubuquefightingsaints.com/team_operations.php
User avatar
shockdoct
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2868
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:40 pm
Karma: 313

Re: Vinny Saponari to BC

Postby bignick33 on Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:06 pm

shockdoct wrote:Hrmm interesting. A BC guy that graduated with me in '07 is in the FO of the USHL team in Dubuque. Probably recognize his Dad, Joe Micheletti. I bet he has something to do with this.

http://dubuquefightingsaints.com/team_operations.php


They like him a lot in Dubuque. I'm sure he'll fit in well here as well. Not to mention, he'll have extra motivation in the 4 to 8 games we play against BU.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
User avatar
bignick33
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 12824
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:31 pm
Karma: 909

Re: Vinny Saponari to BC

Postby Puerto Rico Eagle on Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:32 am

The story has been confirmed by the Globe...I guess he is one of those players you hate when he plays against you, but love when he is on your side...It going to take some time to get used to though...
User avatar
Puerto Rico Eagle
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 515
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:12 pm
Karma: 44

Re: Vinny Saponari to BC

Postby bcsoxfan12 on Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:32 am

bignick33 wrote:
shockdoct wrote:Hrmm interesting. A BC guy that graduated with me in '07 is in the FO of the USHL team in Dubuque. Probably recognize his Dad, Joe Micheletti. I bet he has something to do with this.

http://dubuquefightingsaints.com/team_operations.php


They like him a lot in Dubuque. I'm sure he'll fit in well here as well. Not to mention, he'll have extra motivation in the 4 to 8 games we play against BU.


He will definitely have the motivation against BU, I’m really surprised he didn’t make the jump to pro. We’ll need to fill the void after Gibbons, Whitney leave and he might be the job. It will be strange to see him in a BC uniform. Just make sure he doesn’t party too much with Wey, Samuelsson and Milner
bcsoxfan12
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1494
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:56 pm
Location: Milton,MA
Karma: 171

Re: Vinny Saponari to BC

Postby slurpees on Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:50 am

bcsoxfan12 wrote:
bignick33 wrote:
shockdoct wrote:Hrmm interesting. A BC guy that graduated with me in '07 is in the FO of the USHL team in Dubuque. Probably recognize his Dad, Joe Micheletti. I bet he has something to do with this.

http://dubuquefightingsaints.com/team_operations.php


They like him a lot in Dubuque. I'm sure he'll fit in well here as well. Not to mention, he'll have extra motivation in the 4 to 8 games we play against BU.


He will definitely have the motivation against BU, I’m really surprised he didn’t make the jump to pro. We’ll need to fill the void after Gibbons, Whitney leave and he might be the job. It will be strange to see him in a BC uniform. Just make sure he doesn’t party too much with Wey, Samuelsson and Milner


He was nowhere near ready to go pro when he left BU. Not to mention his lack of focus and maturity off the ice, there were times he couldn't hit an open net if the puck was sitting on the goal line. Still, he's got loads of skill and could be a huge producer if York can get him focused and keep him from acting like a clown off the ice. He's got great defensive skills and was very solid on our PK. It's best for us that he's gone because his lack of focus was one thing that brought our team down last year, but with focus, he can be a huge addition to your squad, and for that reason, this blows for my guys.
slurpees
n00b
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:49 am
Karma: 9

Re: Vinny Saponari to BC

Postby bignick33 on Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:51 am

Saponari was apparently rejected by BC Admissions (after initially being accepted) and won't be coming.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
User avatar
bignick33
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 12824
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:31 pm
Karma: 909

Re: Vinny Saponari to BC

Postby claver2010 on Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:16 am

That's weird. I always had mixed feelings about him coming here.

Appears you outscooped everyone.
2016 Death Pool Champion
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16046
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 2696

Re: Vinny Saponari to BC

Postby commavegarage on Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:32 pm

bignick33 wrote:Saponari was apparently rejected by BC Admissions (after initially being accepted) and won't be coming.


Good.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall
 
Posts: 6896
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:33 pm
Karma: 689

Re: Vinny Saponari to BC

Postby bignick33 on Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:34 pm

commavegarage wrote:
bignick33 wrote:Saponari was apparently rejected by BC Admissions (after initially being accepted) and won't be coming.


Good.


It makes BC look like :clownshoes to recruit/offer him only to reject him a month later.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
User avatar
bignick33
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 12824
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:31 pm
Karma: 909

Re: Vinny Saponari to BC

Postby bcsoxfan12 on Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:13 pm

bignick33 wrote:
commavegarage wrote:
bignick33 wrote:Saponari was apparently rejected by BC Admissions (after initially being accepted) and won't be coming.


Good.


It makes BC look like :clownshoes to recruit/offer him only to reject him a month later.


I agree, but I’ll also admit it’s a little funny. Are we really that upset about this?? Can’t lose what you never really had :laugh :lol: Sorry Vinny
BC HOCKEY: 1949-2001-2008-2010-2011 2012 and counting :angrychicken
bcsoxfan12
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1494
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:56 pm
Location: Milton,MA
Karma: 171

Re: Vinny Saponari to BC

Postby mod17b on Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:24 pm

campion wrote:
shockdoct wrote:Hrmm interesting. A BC guy that graduated with me in '07 is in the FO of the USHL team in Dubuque. Probably recognize his Dad, Joe Micheletti. I bet he has something to do with this.

http://dubuquefightingsaints.com/team_operations.php

Is his Dad the Michiletti who played for Minnesota in the 80's? From Hibbing, MN I think. But I sorta remember his first name being Pat. Brothers, maybe?


Brothers, yes. There were a number of them who played for the Gophers - Pat "The Rat" was the best of them, and there were brothers Joe and Don. Another brother played for Harvard.
mod17b
n00b
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:49 pm
Karma: 10

Re: Vinny Saponari to NU

Postby claver2010 on Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:41 pm

Looks like Vinny is going to NU and Cronin is heading to the AHL -interesting to say the least
2016 Death Pool Champion
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16046
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 2696

Re: Vinny Saponari to BC

Postby claver2010 on Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:53 am

Here's an article on it, Cronin is out of the country so no word from him (not that he should respond to every interweb rumor).

April 24, 2011
Cronin Leaving Northeastern?
CHN Staff Report

And then there was eight.

According to a report in The Forum of Fargo-Moorhead (N.D.), Northeastern coach Greg Cronin will step down to take an unspecified job in the American Hockey League.

Cronin is currently with Team USA as an assistant coach at the World Championships in Slovakia.

Northeastern would become the eighth coaching change in Division I this season, matching a record set in 2004-05.

It would not be a surprise, coming on the heels of Cronin's school-imposed suspension for recruiting violations.

In February, the school discovered improper contacts between the coaching staff and recruits. Northeastern athletic director Peter Roby, who came in to clean up a program that had been setback by violations in its basketball program, came down harshly on Cronin and his staff. Cronin and assistant coach Albie O'Connell were suspended for three weeks, with the possibility of more to come as the school kept its investigation going. The second assistant, Sebastien Laplante, who was the interim head coach in Cronin's absence, is set to be suspended for an equal length of time when next season begins.

Cronin previously coached in the AHL at Bridgeport, an affiliate of the New York Islanders, for two seasons, 2003-05. He left to take the job at Northeastern, replacing Bruce Crowder, and led the Huskies to an NCAA Tournament appearance in 2009. Prior to Bridgeport, Cronin was an assistant coach with the Islanders from 1999-2003. He's also been an assistant coach at Maine, Colorado College and Colby, his alma mater.

Cronin, 48, is a native of Arlington, Mass.

The news from The Forum came amid a story about current Fargo Force (USHL) player Vinny Saponari transferring to Northeastern. Saponari was dismissed from Boston University after the 2009-10 season. He played two seasons there, winning a national championship as a freshman and scoring 20 goals and 47 points. After his dismissal, he went to Fargo and scored 18 goals this season. A former U.S. Under-18 team member, Saponari is a native of suburban Atlanta, and was drafted in the fourth round of 2008 NHL Draft by his hometown Atlanta Thrashers.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2011/04/24_cronin_leaving_northeastern.php

One error, he's not on the Fargo Force
2016 Death Pool Champion
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16046
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 2696

Re: Vinny Saponari to BC

Postby claver2010 on Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:55 am

Cronin denies leaving NU

http://bostonherald.com/sports/college/hockey/view/2011_0427huskies_cronin_staying/

Huskies’ Cronin staying
By John Connolly
Wednesday, April 27, 2011 -

E-mail Print (0) Comments Text size Share
Northeastern University hockey coach Greg Cronin yesterday shot down an unconfirmed report that he was leaving his position with the Huskies to take an unspecified job with an unnamed AHL franchise.

Cronin was tracked down in Innsbruck, Austria, where he was traveling with Team USA while en route to the world championships in Slovakia.

“I have no idea where it’s coming from,” Cronin said. “I have nothing to comment on.”

When asked if he plans to return to NU, Cronin answered simply, “Yes.”

“As far as Northeastern is concerned, nothing has changed,” Huskies spokesperson Mark Majewski said. “We’re not addressing a rumor. We have no comment.”

Cronin’s reported move to the AHL appeared in The Forum of Fargo-Moorhead (N.D.) in a story about Vinny Saponari transferring to Northeastern. Saponari, most recently with the junior Fargo Force of the USHL, was dismissed by Boston University after playing two seasons.

Cronin, a 48-year-old Arlington native, is currently serving as an assistant coach under Scott Gordon with Team USA. The Americans play their first tournament game Saturday against Austria.

In February, Cronin and assistant coach Albie O’Connell were suspended for NCAA violations relating to excessive telephone and text message contact with prospective recruits.

The coaches were reinstated after three weeks. In the fall, assistant coach Sebastien Laplante, who guided NU during Cronin’s absence, will serve a suspension equal in length (six games) to those served by Cronin and O’Connell.
2016 Death Pool Champion
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16046
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 2696

Re: Vinny Saponari to BC

Postby AdamBC on Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:23 pm

Shockingly a paper in bumfuck nowhere has no sources close to the situation.
User avatar
AdamBC
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2704
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:57 pm
Karma: 368

Re: Vinny Saponari to BC

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:09 pm

Well where there's smoke there's fire...

Cronin leaving to take an asst. job with the Maple Leafs..
2016 Death Pool Champion
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16046
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 2696

Re: Vinny Saponari to BC

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:32 am

BTW this might be a logical landing spot for Cav. It's the best job that has come available recently (provided Cronin didn't pull a Pete Carroll and more sanctions are coming at NU) & he wouldn't have to uproot his family.
2016 Death Pool Champion
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16046
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 2696

Re: Vinny Saponari to BC

Postby bignick33 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:37 am

claver2010 wrote:Cronin leaving to take an asst. job with the Maple Leafs..


The Maple Leafs also hired all-around good guy Scott Gordon, who is a BC grad and a potential York successor. Legend has it that Gordon, along with PC's goalie Chris Terreri, were the first to put water bottles on top of the net while playing in net.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
User avatar
bignick33
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 12824
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:31 pm
Karma: 909

Re: Vinny Saponari to BC

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:18 am

FWIW Gordon coached many of the Pruins that have had success in the NHL, such as Krejci, Marchand, Boychuk, Tuukka, and McQuaid, among others. Seems like he'd be a good X's and O's coach for a young team, as opposed to a veteran team that already largely has that down.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall
 
Posts: 4745
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:28 pm
Karma: 543

Re: Vinny Saponari to BC

Postby bignick33 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:23 am

flyingelvii wrote:FWIW Gordon coached many of the Pruins that have had success in the NHL, such as Krejci, Marchand, Boychuk, Tuukka, and McQuaid, among others. Seems like he'd be a good X's and O's coach for a young team, as opposed to a veteran team that already largely has that down.


People I know who covered Gordon when he was Providence think very highly of him. He got a raw deal on Long Island...which I suppose was to have been expected when he took the job.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
User avatar
bignick33
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 12824
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:31 pm
Karma: 909

Re: Vinny Saponari to BC

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:30 am

That's what happens when your GM got the job because the old GM resigned in the same offseason he got hired and then the owner took the next logical step and turned to the team's current backup goalie. They make the Mets look like the Red Sox.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall
 
Posts: 4745
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:28 pm
Karma: 543

Re: Vinny Saponari to BC

Postby bignick33 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:33 am

flyingelvii wrote:That's what happens when your GM got the job because the old GM resigned in the same offseason he got hired and then the owner took the next logical step and turned to the team's current backup goalie. They make the Mets look like the Red Sox.


People kind of overlook the Islanders as a franchise that needs to be imploded and/or moved to Canada because they are located in the northeast. Aside from Phoenix, they are without question the most dysfunctional and despicably unsuccessful franchise in the NHL.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
User avatar
bignick33
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 12824
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:31 pm
Karma: 909

Re: Vinny Saponari to BC

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:16 am

NU is taking on water fast.

Talented team with a very good (excellent by their standards) recruiting class that should've competed for home ice pre off-season.

Now:
No coach

Leading returning scorer, FR Brodie Reid (11-17-28) suprisingly signs with San Jose

FR Dman Jamie Oleksiak, who was the 1st college player picked at 14th overall is debating whether he'll return http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2011/06/25_oleksiak_ponders_future_after.php

One of their better recruits Garrett Haar (2012) backed out and says: that “a bunch of guys” are going to decommit. http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/324875/group/Sports/

Including top recruit, USHL rookie of the year John Gaudreau. “Gaudreau said he was going to get out and I was pretty lucky that I didn’t sign with them, he did,” Haar said. Gaudreau was linemate to none other than Vinny Saponari.
2016 Death Pool Champion
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16046
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 2696

Re: Vinny Saponari to BC

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:00 pm

Nick, you know anything about Gaudreau? Apparently BU is trying to lure him.
2016 Death Pool Champion
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16046
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 2696

Re: Vinny Saponari to BC

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:51 am

Another week, another decommit.

USHR is reporting that 5’10”, 173 lb. Cedar Rapids (USHL) center Justin Kovacs has decommitted from Northeastern, where he was scheduled to matriculate this fall.
2016 Death Pool Champion
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16046
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 2696

Re: Vinny Saponari to BC

Postby bignick33 on Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:12 pm

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/cap ... n-college/

Implicitly, there is very high praise for BC in this article.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
User avatar
bignick33
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 12824
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:31 pm
Karma: 909

Re: Vinny Saponari to BC

Postby claver2010 on Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:40 am

claver2010 wrote:NU is taking on water fast.

Talented team with a very good (excellent by their standards) recruiting class that should've competed for home ice pre off-season.

Now:
No coach

Leading returning scorer, FR Brodie Reid (11-17-28) suprisingly signs with San Jose

FR Dman Jamie Oleksiak, who was the 1st college player picked at 14th overall is debating whether he'll return http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2011/06/25_oleksiak_ponders_future_after.php

One of their better recruits Garrett Haar (2012) backed out and says: that “a bunch of guys” are going to decommit. http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/324875/group/Sports/

Including top recruit, USHL rookie of the year John Gaudreau. “Gaudreau said he was going to get out and I was pretty lucky that I didn’t sign with them, he did,” Haar said. Gaudreau was linemate to none other than Vinny Saponari.


Goodbye Oleksiak...

http://thecollegehockeyblog.com/2011/07/21/oleksiak-signs-with-saginaw/

:titanic
2016 Death Pool Champion
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16046
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 2696

Next

Return to Kelley Rink

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Untitled document