NCAA scheduling

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

NCAA scheduling

Postby Eagledom on Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:46 pm

Who is the idiot that thinks its a good idea to schedule the frozen 4 ELEVEN fucking days after the quarterfinals?
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Re: NCAA scheduling

Postby 1981Eagle on Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:56 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:Who is the idiot that thinks its a good idea to schedule the frozen 4 ELEVEN fucking days after the quarterfinals?

I'm sure it's because they don't want to interfere with the F4 of the Bball tourney which is next weekend.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:38 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:Who is the idiot that thinks its a good idea to schedule the frozen 4 ELEVEN fucking days after the quarterfinals?

I'm sure it's because they don't want to interfere with the F4 of the Bball tourney which is next weekend.

That's exactly the reason. It kind of sucks but what can you do.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:59 pm

Would you rather them play easter weekend?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:08 pm

Does it really fucking matter?
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:15 am

I'm glad it is after the Hoops Final Four. It stretches out the college sports season. After the Frozen Four games there won't be a televised BC game in any sport in my market until the end of September (and that's assuming the V-Tech game is televised).
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby BC '00 on Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:13 am

Why don't they just start the tournament a week later? It's not like it gets great coverage even when it's not up against the Final Four.
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby Eagledom on Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:20 am

BC '00 {l Wrote}:Why don't they just start the tournament a week later? It's not like it gets great coverage even when it's not up against the Final Four.

exactly. Also, they are already going up against the sweet 16 and final 8, which covers 4 days as opposed to the final 4, which is one saturday and a monday. Having a week and a half off in the middle of the tournament is just dumb.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:22 am

Eagledom {l Wrote}:Having a week and a half off in the middle of the tournament is just dumb.

Why?
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:26 am

BC '00 {l Wrote}:Why don't they just start the tournament a week later? It's not like it gets great coverage even when it's not up against the Final Four.

Starting a week later is Easter weekend. God is hurling lightning bolts at you as we speak.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby tallsy on Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:31 am

Last year the Frozen Four was Easter weekend. I don't see why Frozen Four and Final Four can't be on the same weekend. NCAA could us that to its advantage.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby bcsoxfan12 on Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:24 pm

I don’t have a big problem with the week ½ break in between….it will allow time for fans that need to make travel plans and in the case of our guys a few guys that need to get healthy. I have a problem with the scheduling of the Frozen Four Weekend itself. I wish it was a Fri/Sat or Fri/Sun….Thursday IMO sucks for holding the semis for people that work
bcsoxfan12
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:49 pm

tallsy {l Wrote}:Last year the Frozen Four was Easter weekend. I don't see why Frozen Four and Final Four can't be on the same weekend. NCAA could us that to its advantage.

It was in '07 as well in St. Louis.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:10 pm

tallsy {l Wrote}:Last year the Frozen Four was Easter weekend. I don't see why Frozen Four and Final Four can't be on the same weekend. NCAA could us that to its advantage.

Why in the world would it be to anyone's advantage to have these two events on the same weekend? The Frozen Four would get blown away in any ratings battle with the Final Four. The media coverage of the Final Four drowns out virtually all other college sports coverage that weekend. The quickest way to destroy the Frozen Four as as an sports entertainment/TV event would be to schedule it the same weekend as the basketball National Championship.

Give the hockey players their own separate weekend to shine. The folks at the NCAA are not stupid (at least not entirely). The way it is set up now maximizes fan anticipation, attendance, TV exposure and TV revenue - although I agree that a Friday/Sunday format might be better for fan attendance.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:42 pm

I think it's perfect this year.

The Final Four ends college basketball this weekend. Baseball starts up this weekend which has the festivities of Opening Day but goes into a slight lull for the first week+ or at least until the weather warms up (BTW anyone check the extended forecast? 75 in NY for Easter :shock: ), just look at stubhub's tickets.

So there really is a lull in the sporting world. In order to succeed, hockey needed one (and most likely 2) Big 11 schools to make it which it got. Miami is a team people have become slightly more familiar with and BC has been the dominant program of the last 13 years. If last years field of BU, UVM, Bemidji St, & Miami was this year, they would struggle to get 20,000 after giving away a bunch of seats.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Eagledom on Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:59 pm

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:

Why in the world would it be to anyone's advantage to have these two events on the same weekend? The Frozen Four would get blown away in any ratings battle with the Final Four. The media coverage of the Final Four drowns out virtually all other college sports coverage that weekend. The quickest way to destroy the Frozen Four as as an sports entertainment/TV event would be to schedule it the same weekend as the basketball National Championship.

Give the hockey players their own separate weekend to shine. The folks at the NCAA are not stupid (at least not entirely). The way it is set up now maximizes fan anticipation, attendance, TV exposure and TV revenue - although I agree that a Friday/Sunday format might be better for fan attendance.

I don't think the frozen 4 should b the same weekend as the final 4 - I am fine having it a week later...but I don't like the 10 day break. I don't see what the problem would have been for starting the hockey tourney this week rather than last.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Return to Kelley Rink