HE Final - BC - Maine

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: HE Final - BC - Maine

Postby Salzano14 on Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:18 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:It's not chest-beating move by any means. Throughout the year there's about 5 regular posters that post about BC hockey. (me, claver, adam, shock, sally, BN, maybe a few more).

All of a sudden tournament time comes around and people come in here trying to act like they know what the fuck is going on. Did you watch the games this past weekend? How many games have you seen in person this year?

It's not to say I don't want everybody on the board rooting for BC this weekend. Just please, don't act like you know what's going on just based on stats. It's ridiculous. Use the stats to back up what you've seen live.

That was extraordinarily well said.
I prefer hockey.
Salzano14
McGuinn Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:23 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:It's not chest-beating move by any means. Throughout the year there's about 5 regular posters that post about BC hockey. (me, claver, adam, shock, sally, BN, maybe a few more).

All of a sudden tournament time comes around and people come in here trying to act like they know what the fuck is going on. Did you watch the games this past weekend? How many games have you seen in person this year?

It's not to say I don't want everybody on the board rooting for BC this weekend. Just please, don't act like you know what's going on just based on stats. It's ridiculous. Use the stats to back up what you've seen live.

You fail to realize that just because someone doesn't post all that much doesn't mean they don't know "what's going on". I'm a hockey 3rd guy, and I'm open about that. Not that I have to justify it to you, but I've seen 6 games in person and another 4-5 on TV. So yes, I'm using stats to back up what I've seen with my eyes. AND I'm combining that with the opinions of someone who is close enough to the program that they have consistently been at practices throughout the season and are in close contact with the coaching staff. Get off your high horse already.

You know what's ridiculous? You trying to distract from the actual issue of you misreading TW. Thanks for the tangent though.

Please. Give me a break. What info have you given that is driven by those on the inside of the program? I don't believe that for a second. All you have said are stats. People can make whatever they want out of stats.

You know what's even more ridiculous? You defending Mrs. Sanders when she clearly can do it herself. What, are you attracted to her?

BTW, of those 10 games, how many did Muse start? How many did Cross and/or Wey play in? Was Shea scratched? How many were after juniors when Krieder started to light it up? How many were after Jerry had figured out the lines he wanted to roll? You get my point.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:35 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:Please. Give me a break. What info have you given that is driven by those on the inside of the program? I don't believe that for a second. All you have said are stats. People can make whatever they want out of stats.

You know what's even more ridiculous? You defending Mrs. Sanders when she clearly can do it herself. What, are you attracted to her?

BTW, of those 10 games, how many did Muse start? How many did Cross and/or Wey play in? How many were after juniors when Krieder started to light it up? How many were after Jerry had figured out the lines he wanted to roll? You get my point.

I had no idea the level of hockey snobbery that existed here. I don't give out that information because if I did it would blow the source up, etc. Most of the time I'm not texting him or pumping him for insider information because I'm sure he'd find that really cool, it's conversations I have with him about the team and what he freely divulges when I see him. Which is fairly often. And you don't have to believe it, I don't care if you do.

Are you seriously quizzing me? This is about as ghey as it gets. If I answer these will you STFU already? Muse started most of the games. I actually haven't seen a ton of Milner yet personally. Not to mention I've probably seen Muse at least 20 other times live or on TV throughout the course of his career. A couple were before, but most were after Krieder came back. Cross and Wey I honestly don't know how many - I don't keep a notebook.

I wish my opinion counted. Man, it sucks to have a valid point that goes widely ignored while someone tries to call you out for not going to games when you have.
Last edited by pick6pedro on Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:36 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

You fail to realize that just because someone doesn't post all that much doesn't mean they don't know "what's going on". I'm a hockey 3rd guy, and I'm open about that. Not that I have to justify it to you, but I've seen 6 games in person and another 4-5 on TV. So yes, I'm using stats to back up what I've seen with my eyes. AND I'm combining that with the opinions of someone who is close enough to the program that they have consistently been at practices throughout the season and are in close contact with the coaching staff. Get off your high horse already.

You know what's ridiculous? You trying to distract from the actual issue of you misreading TW. Thanks for the tangent though.

Please. Give me a break. What info have you given that is driven by those on the inside of the program? I don't believe that for a second. All you have said are stats. People can make whatever they want out of stats.

BTW, of those 10 games, how many did Muse start? How many did Cross and/or Wey play in? Was Shea scratched? How many were after juniors when Krieder started to light it up? How many were after Jerry had figured out the lines he wanted to roll? You get my point.

Meh, you may know more about specifics but generalities about goaltending play and overall team play can still be gleaned in short viewings. In the games I've watched I could maybe answer two of those (Muse and Kreider) but it's still pretty easy to get an overall feel for the style of the team, its apparent strengths and weaknesses, and the such. It won't catch it all but sometimes watching too much of a team clouds one's view. It sure as hell does for me and the Bruins.

Regarding inside info, it seems to be implied about Muse and his ability or lack thereof. In general it is vague because nobody likes to give up sources but to dismiss it off of nothing is glib.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:59 pm

I'm not "quizzing" you. They were rhetorical questions to make you think about how many times you've seen the current team play, because the team that is now is not the team of the beginning of the season, the beanpot, or even a month ago. And to make you think about the types of goals Muse has let in: i.e. figure out his weaknesses, trends, why things are happening the way they are, how players are developing- who's moving up in Jerry's mind and who's moving down, etc.

Maybe I would believe that you knew/cared what the hell you are talking about had you posted at all here during the regular season.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Puerto Rico Eagle on Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:37 pm

Muse is going to be the starter...So we will live and die with him between the pipes...The rest doesn't matter, he is a good, not great, goalie who has a great track record in the playoffs and a great team in fron of him...Let's just say that we all hope he does well enough to lead us to the title and leave it at that....
Puerto Rico Eagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby chuckfrombc on Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:02 pm

Problem is that with a small, fast team, we need extraordinary goal keeping to win it all. Let's hope Muse gets hot during the tourney.
chuckfrombc
Carney Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:05 pm

P6P is a semi-fan. Obv.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:30 pm

chuckfrombc {l Wrote}:Problem is that with a small, fast team, we need extraordinary goal keeping to win it all. Let's hope Muse gets hot during the tourney.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. This post makes no sense.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:35 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:I'm not "quizzing" you. They were rhetorical questions to make you think about how many times you've seen the current team play, because the team that is now is not the team of the beginning of the season, the beanpot, or even a month ago. And to make you think about the types of goals Muse has let in: i.e. figure out his weaknesses, trends, why things are happening the way they are, how players are developing- who's moving up in Jerry's mind and who's moving down, etc.

Maybe I would believe that you knew/cared what the hell you are talking about had you posted at all here during the regular season.

Let's back up here, I said I agreed with a poster (and several others too by the way) and told you why logically you're counter was barking up the wrong tree. Then I added some detail of a stat that everyone has been throwing around, and you're response is to question my fanhood?The funny thing is that you still seem to agree with me, et al - "It's a worry for virtually every team." and "Yes, but you act like this is a problem unique to BC. It's not." The crux of your argument about why you shouldn't worry about Muse (even though you admit it is a legit worry) is because 1) of things that happened 2 years ago and 2) because many other teams worry about their postseason goaltending. #1 instills trust (but not enough to curb my concerns) and #2 has nothing to do with Muse's play.

Sure, like most other York-coached teams, this team is at its best late in the season. That's more than obvious. Do you really think that's some kind of secret that only you realize?

I've admitted I'm not a hockey first guy. Hockey's not really my thing when compared to football and basketball. But it doesn't take someone who is in the stands for every game or has inside sources to develop the opinion that I have. The fact that I've seen Muse a ton throughout his career and a lot lately is plenty. You can believe me or not - I don't really care. That doesn't change the fact that my points have been more than valid.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:30 am

Alright, so now it's my turn to ask you questions. I want to evaluate this postseason as more than a 3-0 Muse record. Wins are great, but not the whole story. Are you really that thrilled with the way Muse has played this postseason?

-Stopped 16 shots against a very average UMass team and let in 2 goals. Not stellar.
-Made 30 saves to shutout a hot team in the semis. But again, UVM is not an offensive club by any means. Even the breakaways and point blank shots Muse stopped were "half shots", in that the UVM players barely got the puck on their stick or were so unskilled they couldn't even make a move. I really can't think of any great saves Muse had in that game because the shots just weren't challenging.
-26 saves, but 6 goals against a great offense in Maine. Admittedly, some of the goals weren't his fault, but that is part of the point: those goals happen. He only faced 8 shots for the last 25 minutes of the game (giving up 3 mind you).

Taking Muse's past success into account, I think he can step up and be the man if need be. However, his recent play concerns me. If you can make me feel 100% confident - go for it. So far you've done little to allay my fears.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby JConman on Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:39 am

"A goalie that can get hot (i.e., ryan miller against BC and in the olympics) can negate the overall talent disparity and win the big game."

I don't think BC ever faced Ryan Miller in the NCAAs. I thought they were upset his senior year, 2001, and BC never played them on the way to the title. Maybe you meant Jeff Lerg of MSU in 2007?
JConman
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:22 am

JConman {l Wrote}:I don't think BC ever faced Ryan Miller in the NCAAs. I thought they were upset his senior year, 2001, and BC never played them on the way to the title. Maybe you meant Jeff Lerg of MSU in 2007?

True on both counts.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Eagledom on Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:25 am

JConman {l Wrote}:"A goalie that can get hot (i.e., ryan miller against BC and in the olympics) can negate the overall talent disparity and win the big game."

I don't think BC ever faced Ryan Miller in the NCAAs. I thought they were upset his senior year, 2001, and BC never played them on the way to the title. Maybe you meant Jeff Lerg of MSU in 2007?

My bad. I thought they faced him. Nevertheless, bad example withstanding, the point remains the same.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:55 am

Salzano14 {l Wrote}:

It's also bullshit. Not a single one of you knows how many games the others have seen. For that matter, you have no idea how many times I have seen Denver on my sports package or how many times I have watched Wisconsin or Michigan State on the Big Ten channel.

I am openly not a huge NHL fan. I like college hockey.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eaglecaddy on Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:15 pm

Just let me know who you want banned from this site. Thank you.
-Caddy
eaglecaddy
Campion Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:29 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
eaglecaddy {l Wrote}:Just let me know who you want banned from this site. Thank you.
-Caddy

is this in the right thread?

I want this guy banned, caddy.

-b0mb
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby eaglecaddy on Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:53 pm

eaglecaddy {l Wrote}:Just let me know who you want banned from this site. Thank you.
-Caddy

I figured since we do not have our own board to talk about bannings I would jump into the middle of this "hockey weirdo" fest to discuss.
Apparently tre is being banned.
eaglecaddy
Campion Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:58 pm

eaglecaddy {l Wrote}:
-Caddy

I figured since we do not have our own board to talk about bannings I would jump into the middle of this "hockey weirdo" fest to discuss.
Apparently tre is being banned.

Thank God!

Ding dong the tyrant's dead!
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:30 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Salzano14 {l Wrote}:

It's also bullshit. Not a single one of you knows how many games the others have seen. For that matter, you have no idea how many times I have seen Denver on my sports package or how many times I have watched Wisconsin or Michigan State on the Big Ten channel.

I am openly not a huge NHL fan. I like college hockey.

All this tells me you have seen BC play once, maybe.

1. People here have said they don't follow the team very closely.
2. I'm inclined to believe that as true because of the lack of discussion on the hockey board throughout the year.

Find the last thread that has commentary made other than me, claver, adam, shock, sally, BN, (maybe a few more- you know who you are) about this team. Specifically commentary made on games not on television (i.e. 26 of the 38 games this year)
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:37 pm

Putting all "you can't post because I've been to more games than you" aside, has anyone heard hear anything about Wey's condition? I poster on TOS says he's out with Mono.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:05 pm

I read it on USCHO, haven't confirmed it yet, will try to find out.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:16 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:Putting all "you can't post because I've been to more games than you" aside, has anyone heard hear anything about Wey's condition? I poster on TOS says he's out with Mono.

That's not my point. I want more people to post here. I really do. It would be great if it wasn't just 6 of us bantering. My point is, don't make judgments about players based on stats when you haven't watched them all year (or at least, a very little portion of the year).

Anyway, yeah, heard that yesterday about Wey. Haven't confirmed it but should know tonight, tomorrow at latest.

BTW: Cute karmatizing me chuckfrombc. Here's a hint as to how to make it not so obvious: If you're going to karmatize me, do it when you and I aren't the only two registered on the hockey board. And what in God's name were you doing up at 3:15 in the morning? Were you up just to karmatize me?
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:23 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:Putting all "you can't post because I've been to more games than you" aside, has anyone heard hear anything about Wey's condition? I poster on TOS says he's out with Mono.

That's not my point. I want more people to post here. I really do. It would be great if it wasn't just 6 of us bantering. My point is, don't make judgments about players based on stats when you haven't watched them all year (or at least, a very little portion of the year).

Let me get this straight, someone is not allowed to make judgments about a player based on what they've seen and use stats to back it up? I term this Hockeysnobbdeuchery.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:24 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:I term this Hockeysnobbdeuchery.

Mods, can we get an emoticon for this?
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:25 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:

Anyway, yeah, heard that yesterday about Wey. Haven't confirmed it but should know tonight, tomorrow at latest.

BTW: Cute karmatizing me chuckfrombc. Here's a hint as to how to make it not so obvious: If you're going to karmatize me, do it when you and I aren't the only two registered on the hockey board. And what in God's name were you doing up at 3:15 in the morning? Were you up just to karmatize me?

I don't think this was bignick's point, either.

Since you know more than everyone else here about BC's Hockey team, can you actually answer his question? It'd be nice to know if we're losing one of our blue liners for the tourney.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:32 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:I don't think this was bignick's point, either.

Obviously. We've already established that while P6P never watches BC Puck except for the postseason and is thus not allowed to post here, he does have lots of sources in Houston. Ergo, I had to officially permit him to post in order to get an answer to this important question.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:47 pm

Wey is out for the year with mono.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:50 pm

Arrggh...I texted KGB for the answer (they are my best source, EVER) but didn't get it in time to beat Claver. KGB would have been a great idea before smartphones - now = useless.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:26 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

I don't think this was bignick's point, either.

Since you know more than everyone else here about BC's Hockey team, can you actually answer his question? It'd be nice to know if we're losing one of our blue liners for the tourney.

Actually I don't, and I never said I did. Sally and claver know a hell of a lot more about the team than I do. I just don't understand why all of you defend Mrs. Sanders and the ridiculous shit he posts.

Muse is not terrible. He has been solid this year. He has been solid his whole career, and exceptional in postseason play. As I said, if you've watched the games, you would know this. It's not degrading anybody who hasn't, it's means that if you've actually watched this team play and they way Muse has played, you know he hasn't been terrible at all. You look and say, "Oh wow, in the game against UMaine and let in 6 goals, he must suck". Did you see how those goals went in? Me asking that doesn't mean I think you're stupid or don't get hockey, it's to see if you saw what happened. Two of those goals came directly off set plays in which we lost the faceoff in our own zone (which will be a huge problem if we continue to do so). If you were to look at the stats you'd have no idea that that was the case.

To answer your question: yes, but claver outscooped me by 30 minutes. He's done.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Kelley Rink