Hockey East Quarters

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Hockey East Quarters

Postby claver2010 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:38 am

After the craziest end to HE in years, the seeds are set. It took all 27 games to determine all but two of the seeds for the playoffs, here's a little preview for the other three Quarter Final Matchups.

(8) UVM @ (1) UNH:
For the third time in four years, UNH won the HE regular season title. They come in as the favorites against UVM but they are not nerly as big of favorites as the traditional 1-8 matchup. While uNH is 2-0-1 against UVM whis year, UVM was able to take both games at the Whit to OT. UNH also has a well documented history of collapsing in March. A little tidbit on the teams. UVM had the most difficult end to the season playing series @UNH, BU, @UML but was able to hold on to the 8 seed as NU collapsed down the stretch. UVM comes in with a more balanced attack, gone are the days of trapping the puck to death as they have opened play up and rank 5th in HE offensively at slightly over 3 goals per game and tied for third in HE defensively at 2.9 goals allowed per game. While only having two double digit goal scorers they have five 20 point players, one of whom however is Justin Milo a senior who was kicked off of the team (the ever popular team rules violation). They are steady in net with sophomore Rob Madore who is 11-10-7 on the year ranking 4th in HE at 2.70 GAA. UNH comes in as the champs despite not playing 60 minutes of hockey in a month. They are lead by senior Bobby Butler (an :81 favorite) who is rapidly closing in on 50 points this year. Many UNH fans will tell you this isn't the most talented UNH team they have had but they are the grittiest of Dick Umile's teams. Known for their 3rd period comeback, especially at the Whit where they are 9-0-4 in HE play. Two weeks ago they scored a goal at Matthews to tie it up with 15 seconds to go and salvage a point, the next night they scored two goals in 12 seconds for the difference against NU. The following weekend they were able to score 3 unanswered goals against BC to salvage a tie.
Prediction: UNH in 3

(6) Mack @ (3) BU:
Long counted out in a down year BU was able to make the most of the help given to them and secure the 3 seed after sweeping NU to close the year out. Bu won the season series 2-1 against Merrimack winning the games at Agganis and losing the game on the road. A theme for Mack all year as they are 12-3-1 at home and 3-13-1 on the road. Merrimack is lead by freshman French import Stephane Da Costa (15-30-45) and junior Chris Barton (20-18-38) as their two main offensive threats -the only players above 22 points on the year. Da Costa is the odds on favorite for ROY in HE. They have a rotation in net between Joe Cannata (21 games) and Andrew Braithwaite (16 games), both records are around .500, have save percentages about .900, and GAA around 3.1. Their coach Mark Dennehy is probably going to win COY for turning around a perennial cellar dweller. BU has had a rocky year (16-15-3) and ultimately was able to win the log jam in HE. The key to BU's game is the offensive production from the blueline. Junior Colby Cohen is second on the team in points, and goals at (14-16-30) and has a rocket shot from the point that will probably cause his exit from BU after this year. He is joined on the blueline by junior Kevin Shattenkirk, who is widely regarded as the best Dman in HE (5-20-25). After a National Championship in his freshman year, goalie Kieran Milan faced a sophomore slump similar to John Muse. He is last in HE in save % (.883) and GAA (3.28).
Prediction: BU in 2

(5) UML @ (4) Maine:
A typical matchup of different styles as Maine boasts a high powered offense and UML a stout defense. Maine won the season series 2-1 this year. UML was a popular pick to do well in HE after making it to the championship game against BU last year and losing 1-0 to BU in (shocking I know) a favorable review for BU at the Garden (see link here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnibxyJAu8w ). UML beat out BC by a hair for fewest goals allowed with 2.39 in HE and they are lead by who I believe to be the best goalie in HE in senior Carter Hutton. They play a trapping style that frustrates high powered offensive teams. They also bring a balanced scoring attack having 10 playings registering between 18-30 points. Maine comes in a team in turmoil; they chocked away a 3 point for the three seed and come in 2-6-0 in their last 8. To add to the bad news starting goalie Scott Darling has been suspended indefinitely and will not be available for the playoffs (it is widely reported that he is entering rehab for alcohol issues). Offensively they are lead by the leading scorer in HE, Gustav Nyquist (18-38-56) .
Prediction: UML in 2
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Re: Hockey East Quarters

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:23 pm

BC jumps to #4 in the PWR.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby AdamBC on Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:39 pm

Excellent write up. Any news if there will be a special rate for students for this round of games?
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:04 pm

AdamBC {l Wrote}:Excellent write up. Any news if there will be a special rate for students for this round of games?

$10/3 games

I tried to order online and they wanted some bullshit $5 ordering charge. So, I just went down to the ticket office and didn't have to pay the additional $5.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby shockdoct on Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:53 pm

Unfortunately for those people not in Boston, the BU/Merrimack game made the NESN showcase on friday...
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby AdamBC on Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:00 pm

shockdoct {l Wrote}:Unfortunately for those people not in Boston, the BU/Merrimack game made the NESN showcase on friday...

What a load of poppycock.
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:55 pm

Maybe we should have a permanent link for the BC channel surfing thing, since it usually is the scoreboard feed.

BTW anyone who looks like a student can go to the ticket office and give the story of, "My online account isn't working and my friends say the same thing. I would like to buy the three game pack for $10." No need to show ID, just don't wear your :tophat
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby shockdoct on Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:18 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Maybe we should have a permanent link for the BC channel surfing thing, since it usually is the scoreboard feed.

BTW anyone who looks like a student can go to the ticket office and give the story of, "My online account isn't working and my friends say the same thing. I would like to buy the three game pack for $10." No need to show ID, just don't wear your :tophat

They have channel surfing for hockey as well? I always figured that site only worked on home basketball games...
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:32 pm

I've seen the link posted on TOS several times this year so I just assume it's always on.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bcsoxfan12 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:38 pm

Great write up about the other HE games this weekend Claver….can’t wait to see your preview of our series…..BU on NESN smells a little fishy, but not surprising ….is it Friday yet?
bcsoxfan12
Campion Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:31 pm

bcsoxfan12 {l Wrote}:BU on NESN smells a little fishy, but not surprising ….is it Friday yet?

Don't they usually do the 4/5 or 3/6 anyway because they tend to be more competitive? And it's a short, cheap trip (those travel costs are killing them!)

oh, and yes major :kudos claver. Keep up the good work.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby BCTG on Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:18 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Maybe we should have a permanent link for the BC channel surfing thing, since it usually is the scoreboard feed.

http://channelsurfing.net/watch-boston-college.html
BCTG
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:24 am

I watched both Sioux games and theya re heating up.

BC always seems to play Miami and North Dakota and we are 3-0 and 5-2---and that luck is scary.

BC has to win the HET to get a 1 seed over UND and Saint Clloud State.

If Bc wins 2 and in teh Frozen 4 cna avoid Miami and Denver --or pray they play in the bracket set-up--then BC will be a slight dog to Miami and a 4-1 dog versus Denver.

I watched Denver on the other channel and they could qualify for the NHL playoffs too.

Big, nasty, strong, fast, scorers galore, defensive forechecking, brutal defensmen hits....goaltending...this is the best College Hockey team i have seen in 10 years.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:30 am

Here is how we avoid Denver and Miami

West -- Denver --Yale--St Cloud --AHA Champion
MW--Miami -- North Dakota --Alaska ---Minn Duluth
East---Wisconsin -- Cornell --Benji--North Mich
Ne---BC -- Ferris Bueller--Alaska --Mich State

BC
Benji BC BC National Champions
Denver Miami
Miami

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby Salzano14 on Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:35 am

Not sure we would be 4:1 dogs to Denver at normal altitude, 74. We skated with them for 2 periods in Denver (OUTSKATED them in the first, really) in the mile-high altitude until we wore down in the 3rd.

Not to mention the fact that we're a much, much better team than we were even then. Kreider coming back from World Juniors has since been a man possessed.

Honestly, having been to all but 5 BC games this year (@ND, @Mack, the 2nd one @Maine, vs. SLU, and @Denver [though I watched the DU game on TV])... give us Denver on neutral ice, and I can't see us being worse than 3:2 dogs. Really. BC v. Denver on neutral ice would be an even matchup. An epic matchup.

Denver is a great team, but no one - NO ONE - comes close to being as deep as us. And I'd take our top forwards over Denver's, when you see how well that Gibbey line has worked together this year.

On a side note... can you believe that entire effing Gibbey line is going to be back next year?!? We're going to sweep the freaking Hobey finalists.
I prefer hockey.
Salzano14
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:41 am

Salzano14 {l Wrote}:Not sure we would be 4:1 dogs to Denver at normal altitude, 74. We skated with them for 2 periods in Denver (OUTSKATED them in the first, really) in the mile-high altitude until we wore down in the 3rd.

Not to mention the fact that we're a much, much better team than we were even then. Kreider coming back from World Juniors has since been a man possessed.

Honestly, having been to all but 5 BC games this year (@ND, @Mack, the 2nd one @Maine, vs. SLU, and @Denver [though I watched the DU game on TV])... give us Denver on neutral ice, and I can't see us being worse than 3:2 dogs. Really. BC v. Denver on neutral ice would be an even matchup. An epic matchup.

Denver is a great team, but no one - NO ONE - comes close to being as deep as us. And I'd take our top forwards over Denver's, when you see how well that Gibbey line has worked together this year.

On a side note... can you believe that entire effing Gibbey line is going to be back next year?!? We're going to sweep the freaking Hobey finalists.

Ok Vegasalzano, I have lowered the odds to 7-2.

I just watched that 3rd period in the Denver Classic--and they steamrolled a young immature BC team and NOW we are much better and that is why JY is a genius since he plays all the beasts as regular and life lessons so you are prepared on the road and know how to play and beat the best. He does this every year and BC Football and Basketball schedule now only PUSSIES >>>>>> and therein lies a tale of greatness and mediocrity in the same Yawkey building????

I want title number 4 and 28W so bad I can taste it. I hate every fucking team we play with a passion and know we can beat every team in the tournament, no matter what happens in the HET, and you only have to win 1 out of 1 and not a long series.

As a music trumpet player you practice daily ---since my wife was a flute professor and teacher for 30 years and player and teaches scores of kids now.

Jerry York --unlike assclowns TOBlunders0-13 and Spazoo knows the key to life is preparation and practice and that is why JY is the greatest.

You practiced the BC alma mater before you played it? You prepared for a great rendition? Was BC prepared for the intensity and games with Clemson and VT by Spazoo, Topoo amd MCGoo? NO!

Do even go TOblunders0-13 way, he was a loser and idiot!

Get a 1 seed and avoid the revenge teams of Miami and UND and lets see if wee can get to the Final game and catch a few lucky bounces!

I want a title. Titles is why we came to the greatest university in the Galaxy!

1949-2001-2008-2010.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby Salzano14 on Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:16 am

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:
Salzano14 {l Wrote}:Not sure we would be 4:1 dogs to Denver at normal altitude, 74. We skated with them for 2 periods in Denver (OUTSKATED them in the first, really) in the mile-high altitude until we wore down in the 3rd.

Ok Vegasalzano, I have lowered the odds to 7-2.

I just watched that 3rd period in the Denver Classic--and they steamrolled a young immature BC team and NOW we are much better and that is why JY is a genius since he plays all the beasts as regular and life lessons so you are prepared on the road and know how to play and beat the best. He does this every year and BC Football and Basketball schedule now only PUSSIES >>>>>> and therein lies a tale of greatness and mediocrity in the same Yawkey building????

I want title number 4 and 28W so bad I can taste it. I hate every fucking team we play with a passion and know we can beat every team in the tournament, no matter what happens in the HET, and you only have to win 1 out of 1 and not a long series.

As a music trumpet player you practice daily ---since my wife was a flute professor and teacher for 30 years and player and teaches scores of kids now.

Jerry York --unlike assclowns TOBlunders0-13 and Spazoo knows the key to life is preparation and practice and that is why JY is the greatest.

You practiced the BC alma mater before you played it? You prepared for a great rendition? Was BC prepared for the intensity and games with Clemson and VT by Spazoo, Topoo amd MCGoo? NO!

Do even go TOblunders0-13 way, he was a loser and idiot!

Get a 1 seed and avoid the revenge teams of Miami and UND and lets see if wee can get to the Final game and catch a few lucky bounces!

I want a title. Titles is why we came to the greatest university in the Galaxy!

1949-2001-2008-2010.

Hear, hear.
I prefer hockey.
Salzano14
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:39 am

if we lose SZ, Adam and Claver are gonna get their asses kicked by my daughter ---who will most likely drive you nuts and make you go insane first.

I wanna hear the SZ Man's trumpet solo playing For Boston in Detroit after we win.

That is the deal.

For here men are men and our hearts are true.

I will find you if we lose.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby shockdoct on Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:43 am

shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby Salzano14 on Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:53 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:I wanna hear the SZ Man's trumpet solo playing For Boston in Detroit after we win.

If we win in Detroit, I will bring my trumpet and play "For Boston" through the streets as I walk back to my hotel. That's a promise.

EDIT: Until I am shot.
I prefer hockey.
Salzano14
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:46 pm

Salzano14 {l Wrote}:
BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:I wanna hear the SZ Man's trumpet solo playing For Boston in Detroit after we win.

If we win in Detroit, I will bring my trumpet and play "For Boston" through the streets as I walk back to my hotel. That's a promise.

EDIT: Until I am shot.

I give it 40 seconds
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:11 pm

UML 2 Maine 1
UNH 7 UVM 4 (UNH scores 5 unanswered)
BU 3 Mack 2 (BU scores 3 unanswered)
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCEagle74 on Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:38 pm

BC wins tomorrow 3-2.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:48 pm

I can see it either two ways:
1) UMass tries to play wide open again and gets blown out in the neighborhood of 6-1
2) UMass plays trap for 60 minutes making the game incredibly boring and BC wins 3-1 (ENG)

Either way Saint Jerry of BC, please Muse.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCEagle74 on Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:48 pm

Boston College 6, Massachusetts 5
Non-Conference Game
Friday, March 12, 2010 at Silvio O. Conte Forum (Att: 2888)

Scoring Shots on Goal Penalties Power Plays
Massachusetts 1 2 2 5 10 14 14 38 4-8 2-5
Boston College 2 4 0 6 15 10 7 32 5-10 3-4
Scoring Summary

First Period

Boston College-1 Cam Atkinson (Joe Whitney, Brian Dumoulin) 3:41
Massachusetts-1 Justin Braun (James Marcou, Matthew Irwin) PPG 5x3 9:13
Boston College-2 Cam Atkinson (Ben Smith, Steven Whitney) PPG 14:39

Second Period

Massachusetts-2 T.J. Syner (Kevin Czepiel, Douglas Kublin) 3:51
Boston College-3 Chris Kreider (Carl Sneep, Tommy Cross) 6:18
Boston College-4 Barry Almeida (Matt Price, Matt Lombardi) 7:11
Boston College-5 Cam Atkinson (Steven Whitney, Joe Whitney) PPG 8:22
Massachusetts-3 Casey Wellman (James Marcou, Justin Braun) PPG 5x3 17:15
Boston College-6 Steven Whitney (Cam Atkinson, Joe Whitney) GWG PPG 18:54

Third Period

Massachusetts-4 Martin Nolet (Kevin Czepiel, T.J. Syner) 0:34
Massachusetts-5 James Marcou (Casey Wellman, Matthew Irwin) 0:54
Goaltender Saves
Massachusetts-1 Paul Dainton (58:33 L) 13 6 7 26 (6 GA)
Boston College-1 Parker Milner (60:00 W) 9 12 12 33 (5 GA)

Referee(s): Tom Fryer, Jeff Bunyon
Asst. Referee(s): Brendan Kelleher, Chris Millea

Atkinson Hat trick but giving up 2 goals in the first minute P3 was poor.

Whitney 3 assists.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:42 am

Copied from TOS:

In the semis, there is a:
50% chance we play Vermont
25% chance we play BU
12.5% chance we play Maine
12.5% chance we play Lowell.

We cannot play Merrimack or UNH in the semis.

These are the 8 possible Garden matchups:
unh v. maine
bc v. bu

unh v. uml
bc v. bu

unh v. mc
bc v. maine

unh v. mc
bc v. uml

bc v. Vermont
bu v. maine

bc v. Vermont
bu v. uml

bc v. Vermont
maine v. mc

bc v. Vermont
uml v. mc
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:25 pm

Adam, Claver and SZ14-- you 3 kids owe me 4 NCAA Tournamnet Wins and a Title and a For Boston trumpet solo.

You do not want to die a slow death.

Love and Kisses! 74

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby Puerto Rico Eagle on Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:27 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Copied from TOS:

In the semis, there is a:
50% chance we play Vermont
25% chance we play BU
12.5% chance we play Maine
12.5% chance we play Lowell.

We cannot play Merrimack or UNH in the semis.

These are the 8 possible Garden matchups:
unh v. maine
bc v. bu

unh v. uml
bc v. bu

unh v. mc
bc v. maine

unh v. mc
bc v. uml

bc v. Vermont
bu v. maine

bc v. Vermont
bu v. uml

bc v. Vermont
maine v. mc

bc v. Vermont
uml v. mc

Ok...thats pretty simple...If Vermont wins we automatically play them if UNH wins we play the highest remaining seed BU/ Maine/ UML in that order.
GO :screamyeagle
Puerto Rico Eagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:06 pm

They usually put the top remaining seed at 5:00 to theoretically give that team a 3 hour extra rest (especially if there is a long OT game like 2 years ago UNH & BC). Granted NESN can always supersede that like last year when BU was the #1 and played the 8:00 game against us because BU BC gets eleventy billion more eyes than Lowell NU.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy