Do We Have a Goaltending Controversy?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Do We Have a Goaltending Controversy?

Postby claver2010 on Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:46 pm

For the first time since Schneider's freshman year we have multiple goalies with 10+ games. Milner was originally thought as insurance as no one really knew when Muse would be ready to start the year. The initial reports were out until November but we heard it was possible until Christmas. Needless to say Milner has provided much, much more than expected.

Before discussing here are the stats, along with some notes:
Muse: 21 games, 11-8-2, 2.42 GAA, .911 Save %
Milner: 12 games, 9-2-0, 2.04 GAA, .915 Save %

Muse rates: #3 in GAA in HE, and #5 in Save %
Milner rates: #1 in GAA in HE, and #4 in Save %

After Beanpot, I don't think anyone who follows the program thought this would be an issue but since winning a couple of weeks ago Muse is 0-2-0 and Milner is 4-0-0. So from that standpoint it looks like Milner will be getting the majority of the minutes. In the words of Lee Corso not so fast my friend. If you look at those games Muse hasn't played poorly, he has given up 5 goals in 2 games. There are two points to why I don't think it's as controversial as it appears: 1) competition & 2) experience.

The games Milner has played in this year:
1) Merrimack 4-3 W, 10/30
2) @ Maine 4-3 W, 11/20
3) @ UMass 3-1 W, 12/4
4) @ Harvard 3-2 W, 12/9
5) SLU (Denver Cup) 2-5 L 1/1
6) PC 4-1 W, 1/12
7) BU 4-5 L, 1/22
8) UML 2-1 W, 2/13
9) NU 7-1 W, 2/21
10) Merrimack 7-0 W, 2/23
11) UMass 2-1 W, 2/26

If you look at who he has played against this year in HE they are ranked: 7, 3, 8, 10, 4, 4, 4, 7, & 8 along with 2 non top 25 OOC teams. So he hasn't exactly played many big games at all this year. If you had to rank in importance the games thus far this year (followed by who was in net.
1) BU (Fenway) -Muse. While it only counted for 2 points in HE, the publicity surrounding this event was huge
2) BU (Beanpot) -Muse. Soldout crowd at the Garden Muse holds strong and pulls out an important trophy for the young team.
3) Denver (Denver Cup) -Muse. Clearly the #1 team in the country. Muse saves 35 out of 39 as BC falls 4-3.
4) @ UNH -Muse. Big sheet, clearly a top team in HE this year.
5) @ BU -Muse. The 5th was difficult to choose I was debating between home BU for revenge for Fenway as well as 1st round Beanpot. But Agannis is always a tough environment and Muse pulls out a 4-1 victory.

So if you look at it Milner's biggest game was probably first round @ Maine, it was his first road game in a tough environment against a team that was supposed to be pretty good in HE. What this shows me is that, at least thus far, York has had the confidence in Muse when push comes to shove. Clearly he thinks Milner can be a very good goalie as he has played him 3 in a row (I don't think anyone saw that coming). I think it is also unfair to look at Muse's record compared to Milner as Muse has played almost all of the big games this year.

I know you only find out what you have through experience but at this stage I trust Muse more in the big stage. That being said, Milner has been extremely impressive and has made the decisions going forward very difficult for York & Co.

My guess is that we see Muse on the big sheet on Friday and on Senior Night on Saturday. I also think that they will split the HE quarters (BC has locked up either the 1 or 2) and will play Muse going forward beyond that. But hey what do I know? :shrug :shrug :shrug
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Re: Do We Have a Goaltending Controversy?

Postby BC923 on Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:14 am

Doesn't really matter. It's a good problem to have to know that whoever you insert at goal can be one of the best in the league. I'm not worrying. Plus we have Jerry York, I will support pretty much what ever he does.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:53 am

From what I hear Milner puts in an absurd amount of extra time pretty much everyday. Gets to stick sessions early, leaves late. I haven't seen too much of him but I absolutely abhor Muse for one reason and another, so I may not the best to answer this,but I just don't think the team can do much with him. Yeah, they won with him in net but that was more so in spite of him then because of him so I don't really feel he has any "solidified" spot on the team so, if anything, the spot should be up for grabs with someone grabbing the number 1 spot in time for the HE playoffs and on. Hope to God it's Milner because I have zero confidence in Muse's ability to carry a team.

Of course York is also a guy who though Margdolin (sp?) and Venti were decent backup options so who knows.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:57 am

Muse will be bewteen the pipes in the NCAA opener and most likely the NE Tourney.

Maybe in Game 2 if we win Game 1 you may see Milner, but Muse is the train.

Buy a ticket and get on it.

All aboard..next stop Detroit.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:47 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Yeah, they won with him in net but that was more so in spite of him then because of him so I don't really feel he has any "solidified" spot on the team so

Yeah allowing 13 goals in 8 playoff games is terrible. :gun
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:15 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:Muse will be bewteen the pipes in the NCAA opener and most likely the NE Tourney.

Maybe in Game 2 if we win Game 1 you may see Milner, but Muse is the train.

Buy a ticket and get on it.

All aboard..next stop Detroit.

This is my thought process. Milner has been great all year, but you ride the train that won you a title two years ago.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby EIConvert on Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:25 pm

Word is: its Milner's job to lose. York has lost faith in Muse's glove side
EIConvert
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:48 pm

EIConvert {l Wrote}:Word is: its Milner's job to lose. York has lost faith in Muse's glove side

Wow..great post..

York knows Hockey. York is the genius.

This is not Toblunders0-13 and Quintina nand Ryan.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:07 am

EIConvert {l Wrote}:Word is: its Milner's job to lose. York has lost faith in Muse's glove side

It only took him 2+ years ;)

Seriously though, I do have reservations in not riding the train that won you a national championship, but in Jerry I trust.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:28 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Yeah, they won with him in net but that was more so in spite of him then because of him so I don't really feel he has any "solidified" spot on the team so

Yeah but the defense in front of him was incredible that year, aside from Sneep whom I seem to remember sucking pretty bad. Honestly, there's nothing spectacular about his game and, as alluded to above, his glove is beyond awful (see: Harvard Beabpot finals), so much so that, at least last year, he began overcompensating for it by leaving his blocker open. This team scares me because I don't have a ton of confidence in the young corps of relatively average D-men, unlike the solid core of the 2007-8 team, and they don't have that good of an option that will carry the team to victory when the offense gets cold.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:05 am

Wow its gonna be interesting after the UNH series and HET on who starts in the NCAA's --survive and move on.

Since you guys are in he know, maybe he starts Milner in NH and Muse in Boston and tests the kid?

Second guessing York is like second guessing God..or me.... :roll: :lol: :lol:

After reading what you guys posted....I would go with Milner, since my train has Amtrak Glove issues...

This is one of those, 74 and everybody is always wrong and York knew and was getting Muse to work on his glove side and make adjustments?

Just win me 4 after the seeds are announced.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:54 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Yeah but the defense in front of him was incredible that year, aside from Sneep whom I seem to remember sucking pretty bad. Honestly, there's nothing spectacular about his game and, as alluded to above, his glove is beyond awful (see: Harvard Beabpot finals), so much so that, at least last year, he began overcompensating for it by leaving his blocker open. This team scares me because I don't have a ton of confidence in the young corps of relatively average D-men, unlike the solid core of the 2007-8 team, and they don't have that good of an option that will carry the team to victory when the offense gets cold.

So you're saying Muse has a hard time with high glove-side, particularly early in his career? I don't see how that makes him different from any goalie on the planet.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby EIConvert on Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:29 am

Can't wait for the weekend. My 7 year old wants to know if its "NOISE TIME" We've got tickets for Saturday and will buy tickets the rest of the way.
EIConvert
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:35 am

EIConvert {l Wrote}:Can't wait for the weekend. My 7 year old wants to know if its "NOISE TIME" We've got tickets for Saturday and will buy tickets the rest of the way.

This fellow EO posters is what life is all about in one post.

Beyond priceless.

I wish I could join you!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby bcsoxfan12 on Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:45 pm

I still believe because of his resume Muse is our #1 guy going forward. I can see Muse in both games this weekend and the first game of the quarters with Milner for game 2. I believe Muse will be between the pipes from the HE semis all the way to Detroit.
bcsoxfan12
Campion Hall

Postby EIConvert on Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:55 pm

bcsoxfan12 {l Wrote}:I still believe because of his resume Muse is our #1 guy going forward. I can see Muse in both games this weekend and the first game of the quarters with Milner for game 2. I believe Muse will be between the pipes from the HE semis all the way to Detroit.

I have no problem with either in goal. But as of now, the freshman is red hot in net! Expect to see both goalies for the home & home with UNH. Muse will need to see ample time this weekend to get sharp for the post-season run.
EIConvert
Carney Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:37 pm

EIConvert {l Wrote}:
bcsoxfan12 {l Wrote}:I still believe because of his resume Muse is our #1 guy going forward. I can see Muse in both games this weekend and the first game of the quarters with Milner for game 2. I believe Muse will be between the pipes from the HE semis all the way to Detroit.

I have no problem with either in goal. But as of now, the freshman is red hot in net! Expect to see both goalies for the home & home with UNH. Muse will need to see ample time this weekend to get sharp for the post-season run.

This. Muse is going to have to play this weekend to get sharp again...he hasn't played in a couple of weeks. If I see Milner at least once this weekend (especially the Friday game), then my guess is it's Milner's job to lose. If Milner is in goal and we win Friday night, we're going to know for sure who Jerry will ride for the postseason by seeing his choice for Saturday.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Salzano14 on Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:50 am

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:York knows Hockey. York is the genius.

I disagree with you about a great deal, but one thing I always get behind is your borderline religious support of York.

Actual conversation between my friend and his girlfriend:

Friend: "I love the old school BC hockey jerseys with the eagle on the front but Jerry York doesn't like them."
Girl: "Why not?"
Friend: "I think he likes the collegiate look of just having the name on the front. I wish we could have them as a third jersey or something."
Girl: "...Why would you disagree with anything Jerry York says?"
Friend: "........Touché."
BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:I wish I could join you!

Well, head to Cowtown Horse Rental and giddy-on-up here! This is a special team we have.
I prefer hockey.
Salzano14
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:03 pm

Sallzzie--

Bring me 4 NCAA Wins..

Make someone upset Denver and Miami and hopefully we will avoid them and Wisconsin and get a 1 seed.

You and Claver will die if we do not win, Adam escaped, but I will find him and kill him for losing last year.

1949-2001-2008-2010.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby bcsoxfan12 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:34 am

With Milner winning HE goalie of the month…..has that answered the question or fueled the debate?
bcsoxfan12
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:07 pm

Neither, Muse has never had to fight for his job since getting here. It should be interesting to see how he reacts as I assume he'll get both this weekend (but who knows at this point).
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:15 am

Milner in net tonight, from TOS
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bcsoxfan12 on Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:25 pm

bcsoxfan12 {l Wrote}:With Milner winning HE goalie of the month…..has that answered the question or fueled the debate?

I guess that answers my own question.......should be an interesting tonight in Durham.......will there be a big BC crowd? Anyone going or are you just going to watch it on NESN?
bcsoxfan12
Campion Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:26 pm

bcsoxfan12 {l Wrote}:
bcsoxfan12 {l Wrote}:With Milner winning HE goalie of the month…..has that answered the question or fueled the debate?

I guess that answers my own question.......should be an interesting tonight in Durham.......will there be a big BC crowd? Anyone going or are you just going to watch it on NESN?

I thought about heading up, but decided to just go tomorrow. I'll probably catch it at a sports bar near where I live.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:47 pm

BC usually has a strong group up there I'll be watching this one and coming back to school for tomorrow night.

If you go up make sure you have ticket in hand I don't know if it is sold out yet but it is close.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:01 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

So you're saying Muse has a hard time with high glove-side, particularly early in his career? I don't see how that makes him different from any goalie on the planet.

Very late response, but it's different because good three year starters usually don't put up sub-.910 SV% numbers. He had a very good freshman year numbers-wise but performance wise, I thought he was average to below average, which is understandable for a freshman goalie. The problem is that his numbers have caught up to his performance the past two years and he hasn't shown any significant improvement. He's a decent goalie but I really don't think he's done anything to solidify his standing as starter.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Salzano14 on Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:05 am

The problem is that every single college hockey player in the country knows exactly where to put the puck on him. Which makes me lean more toward the Milner camp.
I prefer hockey.
Salzano14
McGuinn Hall

Postby bignick33 on Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:01 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Very late response, but it's different because good three year starters usually don't put up sub-.910 SV% numbers. He had a very good freshman year numbers-wise but performance wise, I thought he was average to below average, which is understandable for a freshman goalie. The problem is that his numbers have caught up to his performance the past two years and he hasn't shown any significant improvement. He's a decent goalie but I really don't think he's done anything to solidify his standing as starter.

Muse has been better this year than last; not to make excuses, but his Save % has gone up throughout the season as he has gotten healthier. The injuries really threw things off, but were perhaps a blessing in disguise, cause Milner got a lot of PT as a result. That being said, I actually tend to agree with you. Milner seems to exceptionally athletic in net, and that has really helped him as he can make the spectacular save. It's tough to predict how a young goalie will respond to pressure, but I'm sure Jerry has a good impression of his personality.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Return to Kelley Rink