Page 9 of 9

Re: Team USA -Men

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:26 pm
by twballgame9
I'm torn on this. Olympic hockey is dumb now, but it was also dumb when it was the All Star game over and over.

Re: Team USA -Men

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:15 pm
by TobaccoRoadEagle
they should sign this dude. i'd watch (even though i don't even like sports)
Image

Re: Team USA -Men

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:36 pm
by HustlinOwl
Half the team is BU and Harvard. I thought BC was good at hockey?

Re: Team USA -Men

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:53 am
by Dick Rosenthal
The BC guys are all playing in the NHL. As this team is a collection of guys who were not good enough to play in the NHL (and Gionta who could have signed with someone this year and elected not to for the opportunity to be the captain of the Olympic team after a very successful NHL career), it is little surprise that it is comprised of also-ran programs like BU and Harvard.

Re: Team USA -Men

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:26 am
by twballgame9
TobaccoRoadEagle wrote:they should sign this dude. i'd watch (even though i don't even like sports)
Image


Is that an outtake from Lethal Weapon 6?

Re: Team USA -Men

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:43 am
by BCMurt09
Is the KHL as a league actually that much better than the AHL?

Re: Team USA -Men

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:45 am
by flyingelvii
It's probably slightly better at the top end and relatively even below that.

Re: Team USA -Men

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:56 am
by claver2010
Starting off with a bang, :flagus vs :flagca at 1 on NHL net

Knight in net

Re: Team USA -Men

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:17 am
by Dick Rosenthal
Rough to go out in the quarterfinals. With that said, Knight was fantastic throughout and in the loss—the team just couldn’t put the puck in the ocean against Finland. Also, Oliver Wahlstrom has now passed Steve “Point Shaver” Heinze as my least favorite guy to ever play for BC.

Re: Team USA -Men

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:37 pm
by Los
It's too bad because this was a really good crop of 18-year-olds. Just a tough draw getting Finland in the quarters.

Re: Team USA -Men

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:39 pm
by claver2010
what a bizarre player wahlstrom is, certainly don't miss watching him play every night. talented but disappears for far too long

Re: Team USA -Men

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:04 pm
by BostonCollege1
Dick Rosenthal wrote:Rough to go out in the quarterfinals. With that said, Knight was fantastic throughout and in the loss—the team just couldn’t put the puck in the ocean against Finland. Also, Oliver Wahlstrom has now passed Steve “Point Shaver” Heinze as my least favorite guy to ever play for BC.


I'll bite. What's the point shaving story, and how do you do that in hockey?

Re: Team USA -Men

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:05 pm
by BostonCollege1
Dick Rosenthal wrote:Rough to go out in the quarterfinals. With that said, Knight was fantastic throughout and in the loss—the team just couldn’t put the puck in the ocean against Finland. Also, Oliver Wahlstrom has now passed Steve “Point Shaver” Heinze as my least favorite guy to ever play for BC.


I'll bite. What's the point shaving story, and how do you do that in hockey?

Re: Team USA -Men

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:11 pm
by Dick Rosenthal
Word on the street was that Heinze was deep in the hole with the Boston mob/bookies at the end of the 90-91 season. BC has been coast to coast #1 for the season, the H-E-M line was historically prolific and then completely imploded in the Hockey East tournament and then was beaten at home, two in a row, by an Alaska-Anchorage team in the 1st round of the NCAA tournament that had no business being on the same ice as BC. That BC team would put four players on the 1992 Olympic team (The H-E-M line and defenseman Ted Crowley—joining Greg Brown and Scott Gordon), a team that finished 4th in the tournament) and Billy Guerin, who was the best of the bunch was the final cut due to political considerations (that BC having 7 players would have been “too much” from one school—a whining campaign lead by the excrable Jack Parker).

Heinze played like absolute garbage in the Hockey East and the NCAA tournament and the HEM line was ineffective after dominating all year. Rumor on campus was that Heinze was on the take and was tanking. No idea if the allegation was true, but it was widely believed and that dirt never attached to McInnis or Emma. Part of that was because Heinze was an undeniable asshole of epic proportions* and part of it was that the local Southie crowd, who were still a sizable portion of the striver contingent at BC at that time insisted it was true.

*The author of this missive freely admits that in the spring of 1991, before his matriculation at BC, that he punched Steve Heinze in the face at a party on Sutherland Road and was somewhat cheered on in this activity by the late, great, defenseman Joseph Cleary—peace be upon him—who stated “Everyone hates Ketchup, go have a beer.”

Re: Team USA -Men

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:23 am
by vegasEagle
Dick Rosenthal wrote:Word on the street was that Heinze was deep in the hole with the Boston mob/bookies at the end of the 90-91 season. BC has been coast to coast #1 for the season, the H-E-M line was historically prolific and then completely imploded in the Hockey East tournament and then was beaten at home, two in a row, by an Alaska-Anchorage team in the 1st round of the NCAA tournament that had no business being on the same ice as BC. That BC team would put four players on the 1992 Olympic team (The H-E-M line and defenseman Ted Crowley—joining Greg Brown and Scott Gordon), a team that finished 4th in the tournament) and Billy Guerin, who was the best of the bunch was the final cut due to political considerations (that BC having 7 players would have been “too much” from one school—a whining campaign lead by the excrable Jack Parker).

Heinze played like absolute garbage in the Hockey East and the NCAA tournament and the HEM line was ineffective after dominating all year. Rumor on campus was that Heinze was on the take and was tanking. No idea if the allegation was true, but it was widely believed and that dirt never attached to McInnis or Emma. Part of that was because Heinze was an undeniable asshole of epic proportions* and part of it was that the local Southie crowd, who were still a sizable portion of the striver contingent at BC at that time insisted it was true.

*The author of this missive freely admits that in the spring of 1991, before his matriculation at BC, that he punched Steve Heinze in the face at a party on Sutherland Road and was somewhat cheered on in this activity by the late, great, defenseman Joseph Cleary—peace be upon him—who stated “Everyone hates Ketchup, go have a beer.”



I heard the same story/rumor but it wasnt Heinze, it was the goalie. Cant remember his name.

Re: Team USA -Men

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:48 pm
by flyingelvii
I'm guessing that would be either Scott LaGrand or Sandy Galuppo. Guess which one is from Long Island.

Re: Team USA -Men

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:00 pm
by Dick Rosenthal
flyingelvii wrote:I'm guessing that would be either Scott LaGrand or Sandy Galuppo. Guess which one is from Long Island.


Yeah, but Legrand was the one who played in most of the big games that year and Legrand was the one who turned pro at the end of the season. I never heard that Legrand was in the tank, but it is interesting to note that he was a fairly highly rated prospect—at the time the best goalie prospect BC had ever brought in (including Gordon, who was the Olympic team back up and then had a couple of cups of coffee in the League), had a lengthy minor league career including several very good AHL seasons and yet never got a single whiff from the NHL. Not one game. Not even a call up as a back up. You have to wonder about that and what he did to get the complete freeze out.