New England Sports Trivia 8.0

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

New England Sports Trivia 8.0

Postby 1981Eagle on Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:08 pm

Standings
AC 56 points
p6p 37.5 points
BN 25 points
b0mber 1 point
AMDG 0.5 points

Remember, one point for each correct answer. 5 points to the winner. Total 15 points available to win.The winner is the first poster to post all correct answers in one post. Winner gets to change 81's avatar. Guest moderators of the Trivia Contest receive 15 points provided the contest is solved. This is to prevent a Guest Moderator from picking up 15 easy points but constructing an impossible set of questions. You may only be a Guest Moderator once a quarter. BN has already used his slot. p6p is up for the task on Trivia 9.0. The contest will be posted at 9pmEST on Tuesdays. We still have 6 more contests in the first qtr 2010 contest derby, plenty of time to enter and win.

Trivia 8.0

1. Name the Former Northeastern University Bball star that played for the Celtics who is honored with his name on the facility that holds the Reebok
Indoor Track Meet in the local Boston area.

2. What is the “Head of the Charles” race and why is it called “Head”?

3. The MVP of the 1985 Cotton Bowl.

4. This former BC assistant Bball coach was named coach of the Philly 76ers in 2009.

5. What is the Walter Brown Award and who was the last Eagle to win it.

6. The first BC baseball player drafted since the early 1960’s.

7. In Red Sox lore, what was known as “Duffy’s Cliff” and why was it so named.

8. In what year was the Boston Garden the first venue to host both the NBA and Stanley Cup Finals.

9. The Pats starting running back in Super Bowl XX also known as “The Great White Hope”.

10. Rick Hoyt works at Boston College. Along with his father, they are famous for competing in what two events
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Re: New England Sports Trivia 8.0

Postby bignick33 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:10 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:Standings
AC 56 points
p6p 37.5 points
BN 25 points
b0mber 1 point
AMDG 0.5 points

Remember, one point for each correct answer. 5 points to the winner. Total 15 points available to win.The winner is the first poster to post all correct answers in one post. Winner gets to change 81's avatar. Guest moderators of the Trivia Contest receive 15 points provided the contest is solved. This is to prevent a Guest Moderator from picking up 15 easy points but constructing an impossible set of questions. You may only be a Guest Moderator once a quarter. BN has already used his slot. p6p is up for the task on Trivia 9.0. The contest will be posted at 9pmEST on Tuesdays. We still have 6 more contests in the first qtr 2010 contest derby, plenty of time to enter and win.

Trivia 8.0

1. Name the Former Northeastern University Bball star that played for the Celtics who is honored with his name on the facility that holds the Reebok

4. This former BC assistant Bball coach was named coach of the Philly 76ers in 2009.

8. In what year was the Boston Garden the first venue to host both the NBA and Stanley Cup Finals.

9. The Pats starting running back in Super Bowl XX also known as “The Great White Hope”.

10. Rick Hoyt works at Boston College. Along with his father, they are famous for competing in what two events

1) Reggie Lewis
2) Crew races on the Charles River. It's called the "head" because it's a time-trial race.
3) Doug Flutie
4) Eddie Jordan
5) Best American-born Div I College Hockey Player in New England. Chris Collins.
6) Brian Looney
7) A 10-foot embankment that ran from the left-field foul pole to the centerfield flag pole. Named after Red Sox left fielder Duffy Lewis who was so skilled at playing balls hit to the ledge.
8) 1957
9) Craig effing James
10) Boston Marathon. Iron Man Triathlons
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:13 pm

9 correct so 9 points to BN. Still 1 answer and 6 points available.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:17 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:9 correct so 9 points to BN. Still 1 answer and 6 points available.

I think I know which one it is, but I don't know the answer. I'll cede the six points.

:whiteflag
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:21 pm

The wrong answer is Number 3. There were two MVP's in that game. Name them. Not one MVP has been named yet.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:25 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:The wrong answer is Number 3. There were two MVP's in that game. Name them. Not one MVP has been named yet.

Wow, I thought 6 was the wrong answer. Here are my final answers.

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:Standings
AC 56 points
p6p 37.5 points
BN 25 points
b0mber 1 point
AMDG 0.5 points

Trivia 8.0

1) Reggie Lewis
2) Crew races on the Charles River. It's called the "head" because it's a time-trial race.
3) Doug Flutie Romo and Steve Strachan
4) Eddie Jordan
5) Best American-born Div I College Hockey Player in New England. Chris Collins.
6) Brian Looney
7) A 10-foot embankment that ran from the left-field foul pole to the centerfield flag pole. Named after Red Sox left fielder Duffy Lewis who was so skilled at playing balls hit to the ledge.
8) 1957
9) Craig effing James
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:27 pm

15 points for BN who moves into 2nd place with 40 points.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:27 pm

campion {l Wrote}:The answer to no.2 is wrong. It is a time race (not a trial) but that isn't why it is called "head." The "Head" is a race in London at the head (north end) of the Thames near London. Americans copied the name, although "head" rtaces are held here even on lakes.

Its like made up soccer names-- like DC United-- when there were no 2 or more teams that united to form DC United.

Sometimes I think you're too wicked smaht for your own good.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:30 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
campion {l Wrote}:The answer to no.2 is wrong. It is a time race (not a trial) but that isn't why it is called "head." The "Head" is a race in London at the head (north end) of the Thames near London. Americans copied the name, although "head" rtaces are held here even on lakes.

Its like made up soccer names-- like DC United-- when there were no 2 or more teams that united to form DC United.

Sometimes I think you're too wicked smaht for your own good.

Campion is the real humble genius. With only 5 games left in this round, I'm wondering if he can round up all remaining 75 points to win and stage a comeback that even the Sox coming from 4 down can't match. If anyone can do it it's Campion. It's about the only thing that could add to his Trivia lore.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:27 am

1) Reggie Lewis
2) Crew races on the Charles River. It is a time race (not a trial) but that isn't why it is called "head." The "Head" is a race in London at the head (north end) of the Thames near London. Americans copied the name, although "head" races are held here even on lakes.
3) Romo and Steve Strachan
4) Eddie Jordan
6) Brian Looney
8) 1957
9) Craig James
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:42 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:for those that don't know... i once beat angrychicken in a head race by three years

I never finished.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:56 am

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:15 points for BN who moves into 2nd place with 40 points.

My official protest has been filed.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:15 pm

campion {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:1) Reggie Lewis
2) Crew races on the Charles River. It is a time race (not a trial) but that isn't why it is called "head." The "Head" is a race in London at the head (north end) of the Thames near London. Americans copied the name, although "head" races are held here even on lakes.
4) Eddie Jordan
6) Brian Looney
8) 1957
9) Craig James

Wang is clearly the first and only one to list all 10 correct answers in a single post. Once again, 81 pulled the trigger and declared a victor too soon.

The points need to be taken away from the Pretender and given to the Angry Chicken.

You should get a point.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:24 pm

Not to quibble, but I believe that all "Head" races are named such because the winner was named the "Head of the River." It has nothing to do with the geographical location on the river, whether on the Thames and copied, or otherwise.

And I cannot think of a single Head race that takes place on a lake. Most lake racing is Sprints.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:33 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i think i'm going to start deleting these trivia threads as soon as i see them. they seem to be more crooked than the "throw the ball in jennifer love hewitt's mouth" game and lead to nothing but disagreement.

stick to telling us that its a foregone conclusion that nd will join the acc - stay away from factual things like trivia contests where participants expect things like "rules" and "correct answers"

Will you be deleting my trivia thread next week, TYRANT? (I respect your decision)
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:36 pm

1) Reggie Lewis
2) It's a crew race on the Charles River. There is some debate about the origin of this term. Several theories are: a) It's called the "head" because it's a time-trial race. b) "Head" races are named such because the winner was named the "Head of the River." c) The "Head" is a race in London at the head (north end) of the Thames near London. Americans copied the name, although "head" races are held here even on lakes.
4) Eddie Jordan
6) Brian Looney
8) 1957
9) Craig effing James

I still win dickfaces.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:37 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:(I respect your decision)

I don't.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:41 pm

There is no debate over #2. Head races are not named because of anything to do with anything other than the fact that the winner is the "Head of the River." In fact, in the "Head" race campion references, the official website states that the "Fairbairn Trophy" is awarded to "to the crew finishing Head and individual medals for the members of the crew." In addition, "Pennants and Plaques" are awarded "to the Head , 2nd and 3rd crews."
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:42 pm

angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:42 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:http://www.hocr.org/about/history.asp

Damn IT department.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:45 pm

I wish 1981 were a more decisive trivia leader. He shouldn't accept this guff.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:46 pm

I don't like trivia, never have.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby angrychicken on Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:48 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Damn IT department.

Head Of The Charles Regatta®, the world's largest two-day rowing event, was first held on October 16, 1965. The race was established by the Cambridge Boat Club members D'Arcy MacMahon, Howard McIntyre, and Jack Vincent, with the advice of Harvard University sculling instructor Ernest Arlett. Arlett proposed that a "head of the river" race similar in tradition to races held in his native England, be held on the Charles River. "Head" races, a class of regattas, are generally three miles long-boats race against each other and the clock, starting sequentially approximately fifteen seconds apart. Winners of each race receive the honorary title of "Head of the River" or, in this case, "Head Of The Charles."
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:50 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Damn IT department.

Head Of The Charles Regatta®, the world's largest two-day rowing event, was first held on October 16, 1965. The race was established by the Cambridge Boat Club members D'Arcy MacMahon, Howard McIntyre, and Jack Vincent, with the advice of Harvard University sculling instructor Ernest Arlett. Arlett proposed that a "head of the river" race similar in tradition to races held in his native England, be held on the Charles River. "Head" races, a class of regattas, are generally three miles long-boats race against each other and the clock, starting sequentially approximately fifteen seconds apart. Winners of each race receive the honorary title of "Head of the River" or, in this case, "Head Of The Charles."

Thank you. Evidently the Head of the Charles falls in the category of "cinema" for the purposes of IT.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:52 pm

How can you read this board at work but not the HOCR homepage?
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:24 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:How can you read this board at work but not the HOCR homepage?

No idea. HOCR is evidently "cinema."
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 1981Eagle on Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:33 pm

I'm glad Campion's back. Trivia was boring without his weekly challenges and the follow-on arguments. We will compete each week to see if 81 can create an ironclad contest than even Campion can't question. I have thrown down the gauntlet. Some contests wil be ironclad. Others will have a trick. We will see if the Campion can find the trick. This week there was a bit of a trick. There were two MVP's in the Cotton Bowl. You needed to name both to win.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:41 am

1981Eagle {l Wrote}: There were two MVP's in the Cotton Bowl. You needed to name both to win.

Hey dummy. They were both named.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:46 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}: There were two MVP's in the Cotton Bowl. You needed to name both to win.

Hey dummy. They were both named.

Not until I hinted that there were two. Read the thread. Campion and BN both only gave one answer, both wrong, until I hinted there were two MVP's.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:48 pm

I've got to hand it to Campion, he can find holes in the trivia whether they exist or not.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Next

Return to Kelley Rink