Bobby Butler

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Bobby Butler

Postby 1981Eagle on Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:22 pm

I knew this kid was going to be a star. I sent the BC hockey coaches an email 6 years ago saying they needed to take a look at this kid. As far as I know from the family, he never got a serious look. I went to high school with both his HS coaches and dated his fathers sister in HS. A local Central Mass kid. I don't understand how we missed on him. He was very interested in BC. He is UNH's star player. 28 goals, 41 points.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Re: Bobby Butler

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:31 am

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:I knew this kid was going to be a star. I sent the BC hockey coaches an email 6 years ago saying they needed to take a look at this kid. As far as I know from the family, he never got a serious look. I went to high school with both his HS coaches and dated his fathers sister in HS. A local Central Mass kid. I don't understand how we missed on him. He was very interested in BC. He is UNH's star player. 28 goals, 41 points.

81--You have now moved up on my list of Athletc Director leaders.

This kid is a superstar and York is human, but others are at BC who should had responded.

I hate hearing shit like this since you know you are going to need goal scoring magician guys who have a knack for putting the puck in the net especially with Denver in the NCAA's.

A 74 MORAL:

The best line I ever heard was about Mike Bossy.

I watched every Islander game in the arly 80's and saw his first versus Philly and said to my buddy, "This kid may score 35-40 a year and he netted a couple in his first game!"

Then all the BS, he is too slight, too slender, doesn't back check and Al Arbour will bench him.

Al Arbour was a defenseman's defenseman and scored like a goal a season.

Arbour said, "This kid can lead us to a Stanley Cup because you need snipers and guys with a natural uncanny goal scoring shot and goal scoring talent more than you need a defensive stalwart of a guy who can play defense and can't score in close playoff hockey!!!"

4 STRAIGHT CUPS. 57 GOALS A YEAR for 10 years. 85 CUP Goals in 129 Games.

658 GOALS IN 10 Years and the guy was a thin scarecrow.

Like Casey Stengel said about baseball, "Shake a tree and 100 gloves fall off, gimme a guy who can hit!"

BC is getting balanced scoring and will make the NCAA's but another killer sniper in the Frozen Four woulda been sweet versus the TOP 3-4 teams better than BC who score in bunches!
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:43 pm

Amazing that this kid is #2 in scoring in the NCAA and remains undrafted. He has the size and the stats. Are there any smart hockey guys on the board that can shed some light on why he is undrafted?

In this NCAA report we will take a look at three players who are putting up numbers in the early season and could garner NHL attention as free agents when the NCAA season ends.

Bobby Butler (Senior, Forward, New Hampshire):

UNH certainly is used to pumping out NHL caliber players (James vanRiemsdyk comes to mind as their most recent gem), and Bobby Butler, a senior undrafted forward could make waves in the offseason as an NHL free agent. Butler, a senior captain, has increased his productivity every season and is currently second in all of college hockey in scoring. As a freshman, Butler was heralded as a strong two-way prospect. As a senior, he was just named hockey east player of the month. At 6’0, 180, Butler has NHL size and could be a solid pickup for NHL teams trying to add to their prospect depth charts as a guy that slipped through the cracks.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:40 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:Amazing that this kid is #2 in scoring in the NCAA and remains undrafted. He has the size and the stats. Are there any smart hockey guys on the board that can shed some light on why he is undrafted?

In this NCAA report we will take a look at three players who are putting up numbers in the early season and could garner NHL attention as free agents when the NCAA season ends.

UNH certainly is used to pumping out NHL caliber players (James vanRiemsdyk comes to mind as their most recent gem), and Bobby Butler, a senior undrafted forward could make waves in the offseason as an NHL free agent. Butler, a senior captain, has increased his productivity every season and is currently second in all of college hockey in scoring. As a freshman, Butler was heralded as a strong two-way prospect. As a senior, he was just named hockey east player of the month. At 6’0, 180, Butler has NHL size and could be a solid pickup for NHL teams trying to add to their prospect depth charts as a guy that slipped through the cracks.

North American players that aren't drafted by the time they're 20 become UDFAs upon graduation or whenever they leave school. Seeing as how he didn't exactly light up his last eligible season (9-3=12, +7), it's not a huge surprise this happened. Something similar happened with Tyler Bozak of Denver.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:24 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:Amazing that this kid is #2 in scoring in the NCAA and remains undrafted. He has the size and the stats. Are there any smart hockey guys on the board that can shed some light on why he is undrafted?

North American players that aren't drafted by the time they're 20 become UDFAs upon graduation or whenever they leave school. Seeing as how he didn't exactly light up his last eligible season (9-3=12, +7), it's not a huge surprise this happened. Something similar happened with Tyler Bozak of Denver.

Thanks. But, why wouldn't someone draft him now? Is there some rule against it? I'm biased of course knowing the family but I think this kid is a player.

He had offers from Northeastern and Harvard so grades weren't an issue for BC. I don't know why BC passed on him but without him, we would be winning Hockey East right now, not UNH.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:25 pm

He's over 20 so he's ineligible for the draft.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:36 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:He's over 20 so he's ineligible for the draft.

Thanks. I'm sure there is a reason for that rule but it sounds like an odd rule to me.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby buconvict on Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:37 am

Of all the kids from Metro/Selects who went on to be successful NCAA players, Bobby Butler is by far the biggest surprise. The kid was incredibly average until his junior year of HS.

Can't blame Jerry York for this one. A Ryan Gomes-esque situation.

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:13 pm

Butler was very good up to his junior year in college, but not necessarily spectacular. He scored 30 points his junior year, 9 goals 21 assists. He didn't even play on the first line with Van Remsdyke. He has just really exploded his senior year. There is now a website for his Hobey Baker nomination. http://butlerforhobey.com/

This is another example of how the EJHL is really having an impact on college hockey. If you look at most hockey east rosters, there are now at least a half dozen EJHL players on each one. Ten years ago, five years ago, there were none. The coaches better start paying attention to the EJHL, they are producing some great players. Butler was able to play varisty high school hockey, and still play junior hockey at the same time, not that Marlboro is a high school powerhouse.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:35 am

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:Butler was very good up to his junior year in college, but not necessarily spectacular. He scored 30 points his junior year, 9 goals 21 assists. He didn't even play on the first line with Van Remsdyke. He has just really exploded his senior year. There is now a website for his Hobey Baker nomination. http://butlerforhobey.com/

This is another example of how the EJHL is really having an impact on college hockey. If you look at most hockey east rosters, there are now at least a half dozen EJHL players on each one. Ten years ago, five years ago, there were none. The coaches better start paying attention to the EJHL, they are producing some great players. Butler was able to play varisty high school hockey, and still play junior hockey at the same time, not that Marlboro is a high school powerhouse.

Marlboro won the states in their division his senior year and I believe went to the semi's his junior year. But, they are not an annual powerhouse as you noted.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby bignick33 on Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:43 am

Marlborough has one of the coolest baseball fields that I've ever played on, right by downtown. The centerfield wall is about 320 with a massive stone wall (20 feet?) and a pedestrian walkway above it. Leftfield and rightfield are much deeper than center. The surrounding neighborhoods are densely populated with triple deckers and other multi-family homes, so there is always a crowd checking out the games. I used to love playing there.

There, I said it.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:13 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:Marlborough has one of the coolest baseball fields that I've ever played on, right by downtown. The centerfield wall is about 320 with a massive stone wall (20 feet?) and a pedestrian walkway above it. Leftfield and rightfield are much deeper than center. The surrounding neighborhoods are densely populated with triple deckers and other multi-family homes, so there is always a crowd checking out the games. I used to love playing there.

There, I said it.

Ward Park. I played for MHS. Second baseman. Accurate description of the field. I was a lefty leadoff hitter not known for hitting long but I did poke one out over that centerfield wall to the astonishment of all my teammates. The ONLY home run I ever hit at any level. A lucky swing.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby bignick33 on Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:14 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:Marlborough has one of the coolest baseball fields that I've ever played on, right by downtown. The centerfield wall is about 320 with a massive stone wall (20 feet?) and a pedestrian walkway above it. Leftfield and rightfield are much deeper than center. The surrounding neighborhoods are densely populated with triple deckers and other multi-family homes, so there is always a crowd checking out the games. I used to love playing there.

There, I said it.

Ward Park. I played for MHS. Second baseman. Accurate description of the field. I was a lefty leadoff hitter not known for hitting long but I did poke one out over that centerfield wall to the astonishment of all my teammates. The ONLY home run I ever hit at any level. A lucky swing.

I only played there a couple of times. One of the times, there was a huge block party on an adjacent street, and they were blasting hip hop and latin music the entre game while grilling huge cuts of meat. It looked like a blast. I was from Natick, so we only played against Marlborough in summer leagues. I was a first baseman. Unfortunately, I never got a hold of one there, but had I hit one out towards left-center, I might have been running for a while. Didn't the field go for something like 500 feet in that direction with no wall? In a place like Natick or Milford where there are walls have standard dimensions, there's no way i was making it father than second base. That's another reason that field was cool.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:55 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:

There, I said it.

I only played there a couple of times. One of the times, there was a huge block party on an adjacent street, and they were blasting hip hop and latin music the entre game while grilling huge cuts of meat. It looked like a blast. I was from Natick, so we only played against Marlborough in summer leagues. I was a first baseman. Unfortunately, I never got a hold of one there, but had I hit one out towards left-center, I might have been running for a while. Didn't the field go for something like 500 feet in that direction with no wall? In a place like Natick or Milford where there are walls have standard dimensions, there's no way i was making it father than second base. That's another reason that field was cool.

yes. Left Field was no wall and a runner. Natick has a nice field and of course, if you love baseball, you have to play once at Milford's Fino Field. I'm old so I played against Jeff Dziama and his crew from Natick, They killed us as did just about everyone else.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby bignick33 on Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:18 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:

There, I said it.

yes. Left Field was no wall and a runner. Natick has a nice field and of course, if you love baseball, you have to play once at Milford's Fino Field. I'm old so I played against Jeff Dziama and his crew from Natick, They killed us as did just about everyone else.

Milford has an awesome baseball program. Their legion team made a run in the nationals 5 or 10 years ago. I don't know if he's still there, but the coach runs a batting cage in Ashland. He was very involved at the youth level, so all of their teams at all levels are very tough. Natick hasn't been as strong over the last decade, as it's really a football town, as you know. Unfortunately, Tom Lamb (Flutie's coach who won Super Bowls with Natick in the 80s, then moved to Norwood and won Super Bowls, then returned to Natick to win another Super Bowl about five years ago) retired after this season. His final game was a loss in the Super Bowl to Reading.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:32 pm

Milford has always been good at baseball. In Central Mass, Milford, Shrewsbury, Leominster and Marlboro are good. the kid that took over second base from 81 is Marlboro's coach and he is great. Marlboro has won 13 of the last 15 lMid-Wach League titles and lost in the state finals to Roxbury about 5 years ago. The ace pitcher on that team, Jim Fuller, just got drafted but I can't remember by who. My home run was off a kid named Brian Ryder, #1 draft pick of the NYY that year. He stood 6'4 and threw 90mph plus flames. The kid never made it out of Double A ball. Having tried to hit that guy gives me an appreciation of both how great the pitchers and hitters in MLB must be. I mean this kid was the fastest hs pitcher I've ever seen before or since and he didn't even make it to the Show. From the hitters side, I just don't know how you can hit something going that fast. It's like trying to hit a bullet.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:55 pm

If you are interested in seeing Butler, BC plays UNH at Durham on March 5. This game will be on NESN. If you don't get NESN in your neck of the woods, there is a game the next night at BC. It may be worth your while to get some tickets and attend the game. Who knows, you might even hook up with your old girl friend.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:33 pm

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:If you are interested in seeing Butler, BC plays UNH at Durham on March 5. This game will be on NESN. If you don't get NESN in your neck of the woods, there is a game the next night at BC. It may be worth your while to get some tickets and attend the game. Who knows, you might even hook up with your old girl friend.

Thanks.I will go to Sonny McCalin's. They have NESN. As far as Butler's Aunt, she was the first girl I ever kissed on the lips. 7th grade. She is on my Facebook as a friend. Rumor has it after 4 divorces she has given up on men and is swinging the other way. She was a hottie and the ONLY REDHEAD I have ever been with romantically.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:24 pm

Those redheads sure are hotties. Better steer clear.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:48 pm

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:Those redheads sure are hotties. Better steer clear.

Yes, I'm leaving all the redheads for 74.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:27 pm

Butler is currently 6th in the Hobey Baker voting. http://www.hobeybaker.com/voting/

The BC nominee is Cam Atkinson, but he is not in the top ten as far as I know. These are the results so far. I can't believe a guy from Union is leading.

Player Class, Pos. School Votes
Mario Valery-Trabucco SR, Fwd Union 9008
Dan Ringwald SR, Def RIT 7702
Jeff Petry JR, Def Mich. State 7539
Chris Kushneriuk JR, Fwd Robt. Morris 6560
Tomas Petruska SR, Fwd Bowling Grn 6348
Bobby Butler SR, Fwd New Hamp. 6303
Blair Riley SR, Fwd Ferris State 6287
Chase Polacek JR, Fwd RPI 5797
Blake Geoffrion SR, Fwd Wisconsin 5458
Eric Lampe SR, Fwd Quinnipiac 4926
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:15 pm

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:The BC nominee is Cam Atkinson, but he is not in the top ten as far as I know.

Gibbons too.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:36 pm

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:Butler is currently 6th in the Hobey Baker voting. http://www.hobeybaker.com/voting/

The BC nominee is Cam Atkinson, but he is not in the top ten as far as I know. These are the results so far. I can't believe a guy from Union is leading.

Player Class, Pos. School Votes
Mario Valery-Trabucco SR, Fwd Union 9008
Dan Ringwald SR, Def RIT 7702
Jeff Petry JR, Def Mich. State 7539
Chris Kushneriuk JR, Fwd Robt. Morris 6560
Tomas Petruska SR, Fwd Bowling Grn 6348
Bobby Butler SR, Fwd New Hamp. 6303
Blair Riley SR, Fwd Ferris State 6287
Chase Polacek JR, Fwd RPI 5797
Blake Geoffrion SR, Fwd Wisconsin 5458
Eric Lampe SR, Fwd Quinnipiac 4926

Thanks for info. GG.