Beanpot 2010

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Beanpot 2010

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:55 pm

buconvict {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
The second clause of the first definition makes every team in college hockey BC's rival. Form over substance again. Not all definitions apply in all contexts.

Exactly my point.

Therefore, refusing to acknowledge rivals for reasons other than competitiveness is too limited. Geographic rivals exist. Rivalries can stretch back to early matchups even though teams don't play any more. Some rivalries can be based on education or religion. Holy Cross and BC don't even compete any more yet there's a rivalry that developed based on numerous factors. You're just too strict in your interpretation.

Simply put rivalry is in the eye of the beholder. The strength of rivalries has to do with familiarty, history, geography, competitiveness, common goals, reciprocity, etc.

Do you think Northeastern and BC are rivals in hockey?

Barely. More to do with the cross-town and the common conference/goal aspects. But I can certainly understand why NU holds BC and BU as rivals and why they would want to foster that...even if they can't sniff our jocks.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:55 pm

OK, I'm gonna settle it once and for all. According to Wikipedia and Wikia, NU is not one of BC's rivals. But, according to Wikia, BC is one of NU's rivals. Does this help?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_College_Eagles_hockey
http://icehockey.wikia.com/wiki/Northeastern_Huskies
http://icehockey.wikia.com/wiki/Boston_College_Eagles

The fact that we've spent this many posts discussing them probably means there a rival. Even though one of the people is a BU fan.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:56 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:OK, I'm gonna settle it once and for all. According to Wikipedia and Wikia, NU is not one of BC's rivals. But, according to Wikia, BC is one of NU's rivals. Does this help?

The fact that we've spent this many posts discussing them probably means there a rival. Even though one of the people is a BU fan.

Nick, you have a future in mediation.

SHOW US THE RIVALRY LOGS YOU COWARD!
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:01 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
The second clause of the first definition makes every team in college hockey BC's rival. Form over substance again. Not all definitions apply in all contexts.

Exactly my point.

Therefore, refusing to acknowledge rivals for reasons other than competitiveness is too limited. Geographic rivals exist. Rivalries can stretch back to early matchups even though teams don't play any more. Some rivalries can be based on education or religion. Holy Cross and BC don't even compete any more yet there's a rivalry that developed based on numerous factors. You're just too strict in your interpretation.

Simply put rivalry is in the eye of the beholder. The strength of rivalries has to do with familiarty, history, geography, competitiveness, common goals, reciprocity, etc.

Under no definition is either BU v NU or BC v. NU a rivalry. I get your point, it just doesn't apply. And rivalries can die as easily as they were formed, as was the case with Holy Cross. That rivalry dies a violent death one afternoon in the 1970s
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:03 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Exactly my point.

Under no definition is either BU v NU or BC v. NU a rivalry. I get your point, it just doesn't apply. And rivalries can die as easily as they were formed, as was the case with Holy Cross. That rivalry dies a violent death one afternoon in the 1970s

I'd call NU BU's second biggest rivals. Who would you say their second biggest rival is?

With BC it's more debatable.

I love adding nothing to an argument.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:05 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:OK, I'm gonna settle it once and for all. According to Wikipedia and Wikia, NU is not one of BC's rivals. But, according to Wikia, BC is one of NU's rivals. Does this help?

Do we consider UNH our rival? I guess they had that run atop the HE, which counts for something.

I see North Dakota as a bigger rival, given the last decade of Frozen Fours.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:13 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

Do we consider UNH our rival? I guess they had that run atop the HE, which counts for something.

I see North Dakota as a bigger rival, given the last decade of Frozen Fours.

I only started following BC hockey closely in about 2001, while I followed basketball and football a lot longer than that, so I might not be the most qualified to answer the question as some others, but here's how I'd rank our rivals.

1) BU is obvious

2) UNH is more questionable. Even though they never win shit, we've played a lot of big games with them late in the season and in the Hockey East Tournament. BC and UNH have been the two best teams in in Hockey East since about 2003. I think you could flip-flop with number 3.
3) North Dakota because we've played them a lot in the postseason. However, we rarely play them in the regular season, so it's tough to consider them a serious rival. Their fans might disagree with the assessment because we usually win and therefore they hate us. They also take hockey more serious than we do.
4) Notre Dame, but only because it coincided with the football rivalry. The National Championship game was fun too. Once we stop playing them in football, they'll plummet on my rivals list.
5) NU because they're so close and because we play them in the Beanpot. Their students hate BC, because they're jealous. If they get good under Cronin, I could see them rising as high as number 2.
6) Maine because when they were good in the late 90s and early 00s, we clashed with them quite a bit.

7) Boise State because we'd probably ruin their winning streak on the blue ice.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:47 pm

Ok finally have a minute (or 10) to talk about the game. Great performance all around for BC, they abused Harvard in every aspect of the game.

Whenever you allow 0 goals you have to start at the defense and goaltending. First with Muse, he gets a lot of shit from people on the message boards but he is getting near the top of his game and you could tell last night. While he didn't face 33 Grade A opportunities there were several sequences where he made big time consecutive saves. He also stood tall and didn't back down when Harvard started to have runs at him. Look for him to secure the great majority of PT for the rest of the year.

The D played very well as a unit. There are only 4 healthy regulars who share the load of ice time -the young D has been the key to our successes thus far this year. Lyles played his normal physical game and was able to pinch at the right times and not get caught below the goal line. Have to give my :kudos to Alber. In his first couple of games he had the deer in headlights look but on the biggest stage of his young career he played as physical and confident as he has all year. Granted he didn't have thousands of facepainted, glittered up fanboys yelling at him but he definitely held his own. Cross is coming along quickly so and he might be back Friday but more likely Monday.

The offensive output was there and again it was lead by the midget line of Gibbons, JWhitney, & Atkinson. While they didn't have the points from 5 on 5 that they have been getting they upped the forecheck and pressure on a shaky Harvard D. Nice to see the grinder/checking line of Price, Lombardi, & Almeida get a goal -any offense from them is gravy. The SWhitney, Mullane, & Carey line played well and bring an extra element of speed off of the top line. The Kreider, Smith, & Carey line needs to gel a little more and hopefully will get clicking soon.

The powerplay was effective, granted they had 11 opportunities but a night with 3 PPG is always a successful night. Nice to see Sneep & Dumoulin throw the puck on net. We have players (Smith, Hayes, & Kreider) with great hands in front that create Grade A opportunities.

It was said on TOS and it's a great point. It's always fun to watch BC's speed once they get out of the shackles of HE officiating -all the clutching and grabbing that refs are supposed to take out of the game is taken out and you can see BC's speed in action.

LeBlanc is such a hack, he'll fit in well with the Montreal fanbase -you can count at least 5 times where he just simply ran Muse. BC was able to take him out of his game once again his stat line: 0 points, 3 shots, 6 penalty minutes, 1-8 on faceoofs -a little step up from competition from the EZAC I guess?

Excellent 60 minutes. :screamyeagle :screamyeagle :screamyeagle :screamyeagle
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:53 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
AdamBC {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:BOSTON -- Even though his team had just dispatched Northeastern, 2-1, in a hard-fought Beanpot semifinal at TD Garden, Boston University coach Jack Parker was very honest about playing Boston College next Monday night in yet another BU-BC showdown for the 58th Beanpot championship. "The Beanpot is losing its luster a little bit if it's constantly going to be BU or BC winning this tournament," Parker said. "We dodged a bullet tonight. These teams are real good hockey programs, Harvard and Northeastern. It's not good overall, people are going to get tired of it. People are tired of it in some ways." BU has won a record 29 Beanpot titles and has reached the title game in 25 of the last 27 years. In the first game, Boston College hammered Harvard, 6-0, to reach its 30th Beanpot title game. For more, including audio from all four teams

Apparently Jack Parker has had about enough of BU-BC. Right Jack, like Harvard vs. BU in the Final would have been an instant classic. :lame

Agreed Jack, a NU-BC game would have had more luster. Learn your place BU and lose in the first round. Next!

Oh, and fuck off Jack: http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/mens_hockey/articles/2010/02/02/bus_parker_wants_upfront_answer_about_hitting_from_behind/

First off, as indicated in the reader comments, the Norwood players were not hit from behind, they fell. Secondly, I watched the two plays in question, and the reason why your player was called is for a makeup call when BU's player should have been ejected but wasn't. So fuck off Jack and stop teaching your players to be goons first, then we can talk about your concern for hitting from behind.

But I'm sure he had nothing to say about his player giving a NU player a cross check to the face well after the whistle.

What a joke. After calling an extremely questionable 5 minute HFB & game misconduct. Worsofsky is usually very level headed player -the sequence was:
1) He couldn't handle a pass on the PP and it gets out of the zone (barely)
2) He brings in back over the zone and fires it towards the net (usually a scrum would break out)
3) NU player approaches him, doesn't even lay a hand on him and Worsofsky cross checks him in the face. It was called a 2 minutes contact to the head cross checking. Should it have been 5? Maybe, but definitely a double minor. Considering they just threw out a NU player on a questionable call he probably should have gotten thrown out too. But don't forget -it's Parker, HE officials, & at the TD Banknorth.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:04 pm

Video of the hit:

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:13 pm

Best sign of the night goes to NU:

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby buconvict on Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:17 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
AdamBC {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:BOSTON -- Even though his team had just dispatched Northeastern, 2-1, in a hard-fought Beanpot semifinal at TD Garden, Boston University coach Jack Parker was very honest about playing Boston College next Monday night in yet another BU-BC showdown for the 58th Beanpot championship. "The Beanpot is losing its luster a little bit if it's constantly going to be BU or BC winning this tournament," Parker said. "We dodged a bullet tonight. These teams are real good hockey programs, Harvard and Northeastern. It's not good overall, people are going to get tired of it. People are tired of it in some ways." BU has won a record 29 Beanpot titles and has reached the title game in 25 of the last 27 years. In the first game, Boston College hammered Harvard, 6-0, to reach its 30th Beanpot title game. For more, including audio from all four teams

Apparently Jack Parker has had about enough of BU-BC. Right Jack, like Harvard vs. BU in the Final would have been an instant classic. :lame

Agreed Jack, a NU-BC game would have had more luster. Learn your place BU and lose in the first round. Next!

Oh, and fuck off Jack: http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/mens_hockey/articles/2010/02/02/bus_parker_wants_upfront_answer_about_hitting_from_behind/

First off, as indicated in the reader comments, the Norwood players were not hit from behind, they fell. Secondly, I watched the two plays in question, and the reason why your player was called is for a makeup call when BU's player should have been ejected but wasn't. So fuck off Jack and stop teaching your players to be goons first, then we can talk about your concern for hitting from behind.

But I'm sure he had nothing to say about his player giving a NU player a cross check to the face well after the whistle.

What a joke. After calling an extremely questionable 5 minute HFB & game misconduct. Worsofsky is usually very level headed player -the sequence was:
2) He brings in back over the zone and fires it towards the net (usually a scrum would break out)
3) NU player approaches him, doesn't even lay a hand on him and Worsofsky cross checks him in the face. It was called a 2 minutes contact to the head cross checking. Should it have been 5? Maybe, but definitely a double minor. Considering they just threw out a NU player on a questionable call he probably should have gotten thrown out too. But don't forget -it's Parker, HE officials, & at the TD Banknorth.

You're kidding me right? He lifted his stick up and tapped the NU kid below the chin. His left hand didn't even extend out. The NU kid flopped like Zahmhall's daughter's vag. 2 minute penalty for being a douche and shooting the puck after the whistle.

And the NU hit from behind was blatant.

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby AdamBC on Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:17 pm

buconvict {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
AdamBC {l Wrote}:

You're kidding me right? He lifted his stick up and tapped the NU kid below the chin. His left hand didn't even extend out. The NU kid flopped like Zahmhall's daughter's vag. 2 minute penalty for being a douche and shooting the puck after the whistle.

You would think that you 'glittered up fanboy' no way that was merely a tap. Have your drunk stop coaching your team to be goons.
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby buconvict on Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:32 pm

AdamBC {l Wrote}:
buconvict {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
AdamBC {l Wrote}:

You would think that you 'glittered up fanboy' no way that was merely a tap. Have your drunk stop coaching your team to be goons.

Holy grammar.

Anyway, watch the video. It was a light cross check. I readily admit the douchiness that led to the NU kid skating at Warsofsky, but the contact was minor, and the NU kid acting like he was shot is worthy of ridicule, if not a yellow card for diving.

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:57 pm

At worst it should have been:

1. Shooting after the whistle.
2. Contact after the whistle.

Double minor.

If the refs thought the contact was severe, they could have made it a major. Looking at the replay it appears that he didn't hit him that hard. That being said, I'd imagine getting hit in the neck with a stick when you don't see it coming would kill.

Regardless of how hard he hit him, the fact that he cross checked him intentionally significantly after the whistle should have been a penalty. As should have been the fact that he shot well after the whistle. A double minor at worst IMO.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:03 am

Glad to see BU classing it up as always.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby slurpees on Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:17 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
I'd call NU BU's second biggest rivals. Who would you say their second biggest rival is?

Not the case. You can make an argument that last year it might have been only because we were battling for the Hockey East title (despite them never leading us in a game for a second during the season), but beyond that, NU is a second-tier game for us. If you removed the NU Mental Asylum student section (they cheered when Tuckerman was brought out of the box because they thought the refs waived off his penalty) from the equation, there's virtually nothing there. Most BU fans will consider UNH and Maine (save the last couple of years) bigger rivals. The NCAA regional final last year certainly kept that flame going, and the number of huge games between BU and Maine throughout the 90s and early 2000s is very, very high. There were notable players on both sides that our fans got to hate, Ayers, Howard, Yandle-mania, JVR, Snow, etc. I can say that no one really cared much about Thiessen. He usually crapped himself whenever he played us, and no one else on their roster over the years really stands out. Only guy I can remember was Mudryk because the kid was no taller than 5'2". All throughout this, NU has been an afterthought to us and most of the hockey landscapre, and for the most part, they still are. Their fanbase amounts to students + a small group of season ticket holders, they jizz themselves crazy every time they see or hear a reference to BU - I don't know if the same applies to BC, and save last years game and the '05 Beanpot final, we haven't played a meaningful game against them in a very long time where something was on the line or there was jockeying for the top of the HE standings. If you took NU and swapped their campus location with Lowell, there'd be nothing to it.
slurpees
n00b

Postby bignick33 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:19 pm

slurpees {l Wrote}:they cheered when Tuckerman was brought out of the box because they thought the refs waived off his penalty

Well, it was kind of a weak penalty. He was hit on the side, but the hit twisted him sideways so he went in sort-of head-first.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:24 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
slurpees {l Wrote}:they cheered when Tuckerman was brought out of the box because they thought the refs waived off his penalty

Well, it was kind of a weak penalty. He was hit on the side, but the hit twisted him sideways so he went in sort-of head-first.

:tre "And the NU hit from behind was blatant."

I completely agree -I know they are going to be very cautious with those type of hits but it was a tough call.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:28 pm

slurpees {l Wrote}:they jizz themselves crazy every time they see or hear a reference to BU - I don't know if the same applies to BC,

This just gives me another chance to bring up one of my favorite BC hockey stories. My freshman year NU came to campus and, as usual, their stupid fanbase made their way over with their fugly cheerleaders (I hear they got the idea for their mascot from the cheerleading squad... hey-o!).

Anyhow, about midway through the second period,these two guys in Superfan shirts sitting near the front of the BC student section got up on their seats, turned around to the crowd and .... oh. my. god.... took off their BC shirts to reveal NU shirts. OMG!!!! ROFL!!! U GOT US!!!!

Anyhow, there was about a half-minutes pause while everyone looked at them trying to figure out how you are that retarded and pursuing a higher education - even at NU - before everyone in the section began pelting them with their empty, half-empty and full soda and water bottles, and whatever other trash they could find until security showed up.

The only two people kicked out of the arena for that incident were the two mouth breathers.

I think they have the same attitude towards BC than they do BU, based on my experiences at games. Other than that, the nice thing about a BC education is that it elevates you to a professional status above the typical NU student so, unless you get one of their co-ops, you don't have much interaction with them in daily life.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:31 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
slurpees {l Wrote}:they jizz themselves crazy every time they see or hear a reference to BU - I don't know if the same applies to BC,

This just gives me another chance to bring up one of my favorite BC hockey stories. My freshman year NU came to campus and, as usual, their stupid fanbase made their way over with their fugly cheerleaders (I hear they got the idea for their mascot from the cheerleading squad... hey-o!).

Anyhow, about midway through the second period,these two guys in Superfan shirts sitting near the front of the BC student section got up on their seats, turned around to the crowd and .... oh. my. god.... took off their BC shirts to reveal NU shirts. OMG!!!! ROFL!!! U GOT US!!!!

Anyhow, there was about a half-minutes pause while everyone looked at them trying to figure out how you are that retarded and pursuing a higher education - even at NU - before everyone in the section began pelting them with their empty, half-empty and full soda and water bottles, and whatever other trash they could find until security showed up.

The only two people kicked out of the arena for that incident were the two mouth breathers.

I think they have the same attitude towards BC than they do BU, based on my experiences at games. Other than that, the nice thing about a BC education is that it elevates you to a professional status above the typical NU student so, unless you get one of their co-ops, you don't have much interaction with them in daily life.

That's funny. NU fans get it, at least more so than BU fans. For example, when they cheer:

Safety School

at Harvard.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:33 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:was that your first wobbly h, center hash?

There was no sexual act in that story
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:38 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

I remember that. I saw them making out to Lionel Richie in the parking lot later.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:46 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

no - you stopped short of it. because you don't suck and tell like tdw does

Why don't you just say you didn't like the story and commence with your tired old nerdification rant instead of trying to get me to illustrate whatever sexual fantasy you have going on in your head involving two NU students and a lot of trash thrown at them?
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:05 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

no - you stopped short of it. because you don't suck and tell like tdw does

Do you ever post about sports?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby slurpees on Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:14 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Weak penalty or not, when was the last time you saw a guy get sent to the box and then taken out because the refs decided they were wrong and revoked the penalty? Similar to the NU fan wondering after the game why there wasn't a penalty shot assessed when a BU guy hit their guy in the act of shooting.....
slurpees
n00b

Postby bignick33 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:16 pm

slurpees {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Weak penalty or not, when was the last time you saw a guy get sent to the box and then taken out because the refs decided they were wrong and revoked the penalty? Similar to the NU fan wondering after the game why there wasn't a penalty shot assessed when a BU guy hit their guy in the act of shooting.....

Based on the geographic distribution of their student body, I'm gonna guess that more NU fans grew up playing hockey than BU fans.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:58 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
slurpees {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Based on the geographic distribution of their student body, I'm gonna guess that more NU fans grew up playing hockey than BU fans.

EXALT!

From Pinhead Nation:

"Saturday 25, March, 2006:

It is noontime and we are in a frenzy. BU demolished the Nebraskans 9-2! I think we had two hatricks, too. I know this because on two different occasions, BU fans threw their turbans on the ice after goals, so I know it to be true. Standing in our way to Milwaukee is that little college in Chestnut Hill. Since we beat them in the Beanpot and the Hockey East playoffs, tonight's game looks like a formality. They barely beat a team from Miami last night! Do they even have ice in Florida? I'll write as soon as I get back from the post game party on Landsdowne Street."
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Previous