Three questions

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Three questions

Postby hansen on Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:41 pm

I don't follow BC hockey as closely as I used to while I was in school so I have a couple of questions.

1) How did we go from challenging for the NCAA title every year to this (most likely not makinthe tournament)? I don't get it.
2) how are teams like umass Lowell better than us? Who the fuck wants to go there! BU I can kind of understand.
3) is this a one year aberration or are we on a downward trend? The thought of us having 0 good revenue sports is appalling; we always had Bc hockey to fall back on.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Re: Three questions

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:41 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:I don't follow BC hockey as closely as I used to while I was in school so I have a couple of questions.

1) How did we go from challenging for the NCAA title every year to this (most likely not makinthe tournament)? I don't get it.
2) how are teams like umass Lowell better than us? Who the fuck wants to go there! BU I can kind of understand.
3) is this a one year aberration or are we on a downward trend? The thought of us having 0 good revenue sports is appalling; we always had Bc hockey to fall back on.

What planet are you on. Google umass Lowell and hockey easy championship.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:34 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:I don't follow BC hockey as closely as I used to while I was in school so I have a couple of questions.

They have 3 (including this one & all in the past 5 years). Have only been a D1 program since 1983. Don't see the appeal of the school and don't think we should be losing out to them.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:55 am

We won the NCAAs in 2008 and didn't make the tourney in 2009, in a very similar scenario to how this year panned out, so not sure why you're just noticing this.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:26 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

They have 3 (including this one & all in the past 5 years). Have only been a D1 program since 1983. Don't see the appeal of the school and don't think we should be losing out to them.

What's the appeal of North Dakota?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:34 am

1) we've made the tournament what 11 of last 13 years? i don't think any other program can touch that. they were the first team out.
in the last decade, bc has been able to keep a vast majority of high first rounders and future nhl'ers at least 3 years. here's who is missing from this team that could've been on their jr year or younger: sonny milano, zach sanford, miles wood, alex tuch, bracco, hanifin. that's a roster that with even half of those players is a top 3 team.
2) they have one of the best coaches in college hockey
3) they've made the ff every even year since 2004

starting in '07 (a decade) here are the #s of FF's teams have made:
BC: 6
BU: 2
NoDak: 6
Minn: 2
Denver: 1
wisconsin: 1
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:30 am

While you can quibble about some of the recent recruiting strategy, placing faith in dirty, double-dealing greaseballs like Bracco and Milano, and failing to anticipate the mass exodus that occured last summer (I am told the coaches expected 3 to 4 departures), the truth is this is still the best program in the country by a wide margin and the coaching job the staff did this year was one of their best. On paper at the beginning of this year there was no way that this team should have challenged for a league title and no way it should have appeared in the Hockey East final. It is only disappointing because they so overachieved that they should have been able to scrape enough points together down the stretch to win the regular season and get in to the tournament. The Vermont weekend was a back breaker--even one win there and they are probably in today. What is really amazing is that they shared a league title and played in the tournament championship and still didn't make the NCAAs--I would have probably bet my house against that kind of outcome at the beginning of the season.

But here is the good news. Kids like McPhee and a bunch of the other freshman are going to be very good four year players and we have some high end talent coming in that will supplement that core over the next few years. Jerry is building for one more big run before he retires and unlike Lenny, I think he intends to hand his successor a juggernaut as opposed to the talent-depleted she'll that Lenny gave the in-over-his-head Cedorchuk.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:56 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:While you can quibble about some of the recent recruiting strategy, placing faith in dirty, double-dealing greaseballs like Bracco and Milano, and failing to anticipate the mass exodus that occured last summer (I am told the coaches expected 3 to 4 departures), the truth is this is still the best program in the country by a wide margin and the coaching job the staff did this year was one of their best. On paper at the beginning of this year there was no way that this team should have challenged for a league title and no way it should have appeared in the Hockey East final. It is only disappointing because they so overachieved that they should have been able to scrape enough points together down the stretch to win the regular season and get in to the tournament. The Vermont weekend was a back breaker--even one win there and they are probably in today. What is really amazing is that they shared a league title and played in the tournament championship and still didn't make the NCAAs--I would have probably bet my house against that kind of outcome at the beginning of the season.

But here is the good news. Kids like McPhee and a bunch of the other freshman are going to be very good four year players and we have some high end talent coming in that will supplement that core over the next few years. Jerry is building for one more big run before he retires and unlike Lenny, I think he intends to hand his successor a juggernaut as opposed to the talent-depleted she'll that Lenny gave the in-over-his-head Cedorchuk.

It's the above. That Vermont weekend was a killer but these last 2 games BC looked very good
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby NaturalLight on Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:34 pm

Recruiting classes look excellent for next 3 years. Easily top 5 classes so far for all three years. Unexpected attrition last year left roster depleted. Expect BU to have a similar situation this off season except a few highly regarded defensemen could stick around. Team definitely overachieved this year, but next year we should be right back in the thick of it with potential top 15 draft pick Eeli Tolvanen in the fold. Bunch of very reliable 4 year players this year will form a great leadership core when they are older.

I thought we were very bad on D this year, but with another Samuelsson coming in in two years and the current core in the weight room this offseason, we will be just fine. Things are looking OK in Chestnut Hill.
NaturalLight
Carney Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:24 am

hansen {l Wrote}:I don't follow BC hockey as closely

You really didn't need this after you asked your questions.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Logitano on Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:21 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

:whammy :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:18 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

as someone who just wants to see BC succeed academically and athletically, I'm really glad to read the above posts. Sounds like this was just a down year and we have a good foundation for the coming seasons which is great. Love seeing a BC program actually exemplify the Ever to Excel motto.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Return to Kelley Rink