Rangers Weirdos

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Rangers Weirdos

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:45 am

Did any rumor as to what exactly Montgomery did come out?
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:29 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Did any rumor as to what exactly Montgomery did come out?

freideman said he heard it wasn't related to abuse of players or racism, etc that's been going on with other coaches.

didn't say it was related but all he knows is montgomery has the reputation as a partier which had scared other teams away during their searches
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:11 pm

I am told, through an admittedly second hand, but I think fairly reliable source who would definitely know persons with first hand knowledge, that Monty had a Hugh Freeze-type problem both as to the underlying issue and his use of Stars resources in the pursuit.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:34 pm

obviously this 3 goalie situation is not sustainable but barring it hurting the development of the czar or georgiev no need to sell low. did chuckle though at one of the potential offers from the leafs is bc fan favorite jeremy bracco who can of course GTFOMAM
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:35 pm

Kreider has been on fire as of late with tonight’s last minute goal sinking the Islanders. I have heard rumors that rather than trade him, Gorton would like to keep him and probably can if Kreider is good with $7 million and five years. Hank’s idiotic contract continues to be an albatross as he is now the 3rd best goalie in the ridiculous 3 goalie rotation. It’s too bad that he is the modern day Eddie Giacomin, a great goalie who did not have quite enough talent around him to hoist the Cup. He was certainly better than the grossly overrated Mike Richter (who everyone forgets was completely outplayed by Kirk McLean in the 94 Cup finals and almost shit the game 7 bed against the Devils by giving up the goal to Zelepukin with 7 seconds left.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:14 am

i think kreider will (rightfully) ask for more than 5 years. i do agree with your idea though, eventually you have to switch from giving up proven talent for prospects to actually keeping those impact players.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:27 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:i think kreider will (rightfully) ask for more than 5 years. i do agree with your idea though, eventually you have to switch from giving up proven talent for prospects to actually keeping those impact players.

True, but the word on the NHL Street is that GMs are red faced over some of the ridiculous numbers and years given out during last offseason (I am looking at the Kevin Hayes contract as an example) that GMs might be a little tighter. Kreider will want more than 5, but do you really think he'll get more than 6, particularly with what happens to physical power forwards when they get towards their mid-30s, which Kreider will reach five or six years down the line. Gorton would probably do 6 years if he thinks Kreider will be scoring more than 30 goals a year--which he should playing with Mika (who seems better suited with Kreider rather than pairing with Panarin) and with him logging PP minutes down low while Panarin works his magic up top.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:44 am

jeez is kreider going to get paid.

freidman said the rumor around asg weekend was that kreider really wants to stay a ranger. now is that enough to get something done in next 3 weeks cause from the ranger side there has to be some resolution before deadline day.

i don't like the idea of trying to thread the needle of moving him and then getting him back come july
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:56 pm

Larry Brooks reporting that Kreider’s reps and the Rangers have started negotiations in earnest and that Kreider wants to stay and Gorton has already turned down a few serious offers that involved a good prospect and a late first round prospect. Two major considerations for the Rangers are whether with Igor emerging as a bona fide star between the pipes are they committed in getting the roster ready to make a sustained run in two years in which case you probably want Kreider and second what they think Tony DeAngelo will command on the open market. The frustrating thing is that if they could just get through next year you get Hank, Smith and Staal off the books and out from under the Girardi buyout, which frees up a lot of money.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:01 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:. The frustrating thing is that if they could just get through next year you get Hank, Smith and Staal off the books and out from under the Girardi buyout, which frees up a lot of money.

exactly and the shatty buyout decreases

there's no shot they move giorgiev unless they get blown away, nor should they. yeah the 3 goalie thing is awkward but they're not competing and it's clearly not hampering the czar's growth. ideally this offseason you sit down with hank and try to work out a deal somewhere w the rangers eating salary.

tony d is going to cost a pretty penny as well, has he finally after however many years turned the corner? i'm not sure

also there have been external rumblings of moving on from trouba, but while he's underachieved in year 1 i don't see the need nor point

staal and smith are what they are but i think you just bite the bullet and know you're dealing with 2 anchors on the cap for one more year
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:40 pm

Strange trade for the Blueshirts. They trade their best young defensive prospect, Joey Keane, who has been lighting it up in Hartford and was actually called up last week with the thought he would anchor the 2nd line PP until DeAngelo recovered from whatever malady he was suffering from. Keane was a 3rd round 2018 draft choice and is 20 years old. In return they get Julien Gauthier, who was Carolina's 2016 1st rounder. He is a big, fast kid, who allegedly has a high hockey IQ, and while he has lit it up in Charlotte the last couple of years, he has only managed to play in 5 NHL games this year.

I don't want to read too much into what looks like a bad trade on paper and I know that the Rangers have stockpiled defensive prospects and are a bit light with respect to forwards, especially with the way Lars Andersson crashed and burned as a top-10 pick (joining the Rangers Wall of Draft Shame next to Manny Malhotra, Hugh Jessiman, Al Montoya, Pavel Brendl, Dylan Mcillrath, Bobby Sanguinetti, Jeff Brown, Dan Blackburn, Jamie Lundmark)* but I think this seems to telegraph that they are going to pay DeAngelo and probably going to let either Kreider or Fast or both go.

*Holy shit. I know the Rangers have sucked at drafting talent, but if anyone wants to see why we have 1 Stanley Cup in the last 80 years take a look at that list. You simply cannot whiff on that many drafts and get to the top of the mountain--particularly post salary cap where you can no longer win a cup by buying away free agents in unlimited numbers from small market teams and trade prospects (Doug Weight and Tony Amonte most notably) to get some short term veteran playoff performers like they did in 94, although in fairness, they did draft Leetch--who is the best player in franchise history, Zubov, who they stupidly traded and is now a HoFer, Nemchinov, Kovalev and Richter, which is better homegrown talent (along with Amonte and Weight) then they have drafted since Phil Esposito got canned as the GM. Imagine the 2014 and 2015 Rangers with any one of the All Star players who were selected after Jessiman, Montoya, and Sanguinetti and would have been in their prime during that run. Hell, if they'd taken any one of Zach Parise, Patrice Bergeron, Dustin Brown, Brent Seabrook, Brent Burns, Ryan Kessler, Mike Richards, Shea Weber of David Backes (all selected after Jessiman in 2003) or Drew Stafford, Travis Zajac or Andrej Mezaros (all taken after Montoya in one of the weakest drafts ever) and Claude Giroux (taken one pick after Sanguinetti), we'd be talking about a dynasty that would have erased the LA Kings and probably taken a a couple of cups away from Chicago. Jesus fuck it sucks being a Ranger fan.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:30 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Strange trade for the Blueshirts. They trade their best young defensive prospect, Joey Keane, who has been lighting it up in Hartford and was actually called up last week with the thought he would anchor the 2nd line PP until DeAngelo recovered from whatever malady he was suffering from. Keane was a 3rd round 2018 draft choice and is 20 years old. In return they get Julien Gauthier, who was Carolina's 2016 1st rounder. He is a big, fast kid, who allegedly has a high hockey IQ, and while he has lit it up in Charlotte the last couple of years, he has only managed to play in 5 NHL games this year.

I don't want to read too much into what looks like a bad trade on paper and I know that the Rangers have stockpiled defensive prospects and are a bit light with respect to forwards, especially with the way Lars Andersson crashed and burned as a top-10 pick (joining the Rangers Wall of Draft Shame next to Manny Malhotra, Hugh Jessiman, Al Montoya, Pavel Brendl, Dylan Mcillrath, Bobby Sanguinetti, Jeff Brown, Dan Blackburn, Jamie Lundmark)* but I think this seems to telegraph that they are going to pay DeAngelo and probably going to let either Kreider or Fast or both go.

*Holy shit. I know the Rangers have sucked at drafting talent, but if anyone wants to see why we have 1 Stanley Cup in the last 80 years take a look at that list. You simply cannot whiff on that many drafts and get to the top of the mountain--particularly post salary cap where you can no longer win a cup by buying away free agents in unlimited numbers from small market teams and trade prospects (Doug Weight and Tony Amonte most notably) to get some short term veteran playoff performers like they did in 94, although in fairness, they did draft Leetch--who is the best player in franchise history, Zubov, who they stupidly traded and is now a HoFer, Nemchinov, Kovalev and Richter, which is better homegrown talent (along with Amonte and Weight) then they have drafted since Phil Esposito got canned as the GM. Imagine the 2014 and 2015 Rangers with any one of the All Star players who were selected after Jessiman, Montoya, and Sanguinetti and would have been in their prime during that run. Hell, if they'd taken any one of Zach Parise, Patrice Bergeron, Dustin Brown, Brent Seabrook, Brent Burns, Ryan Kessler, Mike Richards, Shea Weber of David Backes (all selected after Jessiman in 2003) or Drew Stafford, Travis Zajac or Andrej Mezaros (all taken after Montoya in one of the weakest drafts ever) and Claude Giroux (taken one pick after Sanguinetti), we'd be talking about a dynasty that would have erased the LA Kings and probably taken a a couple of cups away from Chicago. Jesus fuck it sucks being a Ranger fan.

Amonte had an apartment in the same building we did as a kid. I was 6/7 when he was with the Rangers so didn't know him from a hole in the wall, but my dad says he was a nice guy.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:38 pm

Kreider playing tonight against Carolina. Have to believe they are either close to a deal or Gorton knows how he is clearing cap space for next year (trading Trouba or buying out Hank and Staal or something). They are also beating up on Carolina tonight and have looked like a playoff team for the last two weeks (will be 4 points out if they win tonight).

If they were going to trade the most valuable player on the potential trade market there is no way he plays tonight if they are looking to move him before the deadline.

Plus with the Bs picking up Kase and the Caps landing Dillon, the two most likely destinations have exited the market.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:08 pm

7 for 6.5 AAV with limited NMC is pretty good for both sides. obviously didn't want to give 7th year but he was going to get it regardless of who it came from
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:30 am

Kreider breaking his foot immediately after signing is the most Ranger thing ever. If they make the playoffs he’ll be available. Will be interesting to see if—last night’s result notwithstanding—they can maintain momentum. Blue Jackets are fading. Carolina has goalie issues, so if they can just play decent hockey (as opposed to the current scorching hot pace) they have a good shot.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:26 pm

Welp, the Rangers Rangered. I suppose this is the karmic price I pay for rooting for the Yankees and Giants. A couple of things:

1. Hank is not an NHL goalie anymore and the notion they played him over Georgiev while Shesterkin was hurt is a huge indictment of Quinn and Gordon. Will Hank take the hint and gracefully retire? He'll probably be rewarded with a long term no show job in the front office that will make up for the money left on the table over the long haul. If he does come back for the last year you waive him and send him down to Hartford because (a) he isn't good enough to play in the NHL and (b) at least you get the veteran minimum as cap relief ($750K). I'd consider doing the same thing with Staal, who looks like a traffic cone out on the ice. You could also send Smith down as well--its been done before--but he at least provides reasonable value as a plug in on D or as a F.

2. Assume that Georgiev will be exposed in the expansion draft. Who else? Maybe DeAngelo, as he looked awful playing playoff hockey and someone is going to pay him more than he is worth. I might also try and move Trouba who is way overpaid--particularly in an environment where the cap isn't going up for a couple of years. I think as a result of the playoff, his no move clause has not kicked in yet.

3. Quinn is not the guy for this job. He is basically Dave Hakstol Part Deux--great college recruiter who underachieved with the talent he had in college and yet, was hired to develop young talent. Welp, I don't see it. Chytl and Buchie have not lived up to expectations. Kakko had an okay year, but I think Quinn's "tough love" approach fucks with his head and, of course, Andersson was a complete debacle at a Hugh Jessiman level. Do we really want him fucking with K'Andre Miller or Nils Lundqvist. And I almost forgot about Kravtsov, who is approaching Andersson status. Either Quinn is awful or Gordon sucks at evaluating talent--probably a bit of column a and a bit of column b.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:25 pm

have to hope hank retires (i doubt he will). it sucks but i think you have to just eat it for a year and not buy him out.

i don't think you can commit the type of money (or term) tony d will want.

like you, i'm no fan of quinn.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Logitano on Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:35 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:have to hope hank retires (i doubt he will). it sucks but i think you have to just eat it for a year and not buy him out.

i don't think you can commit the type of money (or term) tony d will want.

like you, i'm no fan of quinn.

With next season being very unclear I see no reason for more buyouts. Just ride out next year and clear the books. They still have Girardi and Shattenkirk (Shattenkirk accounts for over 6 million in dead money next season) on the books for a few more years. The dead money is worse in my opinion than going for a short term reprieve.

No confidence in the Quinn/Gordon tandem. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:35 am

well last night certainly helped the rebuild
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:36 am

Another year of anemic offense and clueless defense from the Rangers coming right up! Seriously, at what point does JD step in and tell Gorton "Sorry, your boy has to go."
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:24 am

The Rangers are going to spend another 1-2 years on the Quinn experiment all the while wasting the better years of the core they've built around Kreider and Zibanejad.

I met Kreider once about a year ago and we talked for a little while. He had really great things to say about Shattenkirk. I wonder if there is any scenario where they bring him back.

BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:55 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:The Rangers are going to spend another 1-2 years on the Quinn experiment all the while wasting the better years of the core they've built around Kreider and Zibanejad.

I met Kreider once about a year ago and we talked for a little while. He had really great things to say about Shattenkirk. I wonder if there is any scenario where they bring him back.

EDIT: Quinn might not make it through the year.

BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:44 pm

would have zero problem with that outcome
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:24 am

The Ranger Twitterverse seems to think that if the Rangers do not turn it around within the next month that Quinn will get the hook from JD. And while I don’t put a lot of faith in the musings of anonymous randos, a couple of the accounts pushing this story seem to have been right about a lot of behind the scenes things over the last few years.

Frankly, I don’t see what the upside to keeping Quinn is at this point. He has been handed a barrel full of young talent and the only guys who seem to be developing as expected are on the defense which has been the exclusive domain of Ruff and Brown. He also has enough veteran talent including a superstar in Panarin and a near superstar in Zibby (or as I cal him the Ayatollah of Hockey) that this should be a good playoff team—maybe not a cup contender, but a team that could take out a cup contender. And while last year the expectation was that they would be a playoff bubble team and it would be no disgrace to fall a bit short, the way they got worked by an exhausted Canes team was a disgrace.

Of course this was predictable. Quinn never showed that he was a great developer of talent at BU. In fact, quite the opposite. No one did more with less then Quinn and on the one occasion that he did manage to make an NCAA final—aided by a bus load of talent and a once in a generation talent like Jack Eichel—his team folded up like a tent the minute it faced adversity in the final. You give Jerry York the talent Quinn had and you get another 2008, 2010, 2012 run of titles.

Anyway, it is time to pull the plug. His “holding people accountable” schtick has already alienated on top-10 draft pick who has crashed and burned. Kakko looks mikes behind Jack Hughes and while it is early for Lafreniere, shuffling him between lines after every game is not a good look. He is basically Dave Hakstol part 2–a guy who recruited insane amounts of talent to North Dakota, but never won a title (honestly, how did he fail to win with Toews and Oshie on an already loaded roster) and whose lack of coaching chops was thoroughly exposed when he got to the show.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:13 am

agreed, never understood the 'developer of talent' tag that he got which seems another example of lazy media that thought college coach = developer of talent

as for hakstol, nate gerbe took some tonto sized dumps on those teams

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:49 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:agreed, never understood the 'developer of talent' tag that he got which seems another example of lazy media that thought college coach = developer of talent

True, but the most spectacular pantsing of a Hakstol North Dakota team by a BC player was Chris Collins "hitting for the cycle hat trick" (SH, ES, PP goals) in the 2006 Frozen Four Semifinal. A team that included on its roster TJ Oshie, Travis Zajac and Jonathan Toewes, along with a bunch of other guys who at least had cups of coffee in the NHL. A buddy of mine here in NoVa, who is also a BC grad sends his youngest to the same fancy pre-K school in McLean as Oshie (and basically every Cap and Nat with small children who live in Arlington, McLean or Great Falls). He has spoken with Oshie a lot at various school events and fundraisers and says that Oshie is a genuinely good guy and had a hilarious riff on that game. Basically said that Hakstol was completely out coached by York. That they were completely unprepared for how fast that BC team was and that they made the mistake of trying to play run and gun hockey with them for two periods before Hackstol figured out that if they dumped the puck in they had the size and skill to keep BC pinned deep, but by then it was too late--they scored to make it 6-5 with like 10 seconds left in the game. He described the team as Brian Boyle, Orpik's little brother and 20 incredibly fast midgets, which in looking at that roster seems a pretty apt description--there were only about four guys on that roster who played significant minutes were taller than 6' or over 200lbs.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:46 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:agreed, never understood the 'developer of talent' tag that he got which seems another example of lazy media that thought college coach = developer of talent

True, but the most spectacular pantsing of a Hakstol North Dakota team by a BC player was Chris Collins "hitting for the cycle hat trick" (SH, ES, PP goals) in the 2006 Frozen Four Semifinal. A team that included on its roster TJ Oshie, Travis Zajac and Jonathan Toewes, along with a bunch of other guys who at least had cups of coffee in the NHL. A buddy of mine here in NoVa, who is also a BC grad sends his youngest to the same fancy pre-K school in McLean as Oshie (and basically every Cap and Nat with small children who live in Arlington, McLean or Great Falls). He has spoken with Oshie a lot at various school events and fundraisers and says that Oshie is a genuinely good guy and had a hilarious riff on that game. Basically said that Hakstol was completely out coached by York. That they were completely unprepared for how fast that BC team was and that they made the mistake of trying to play run and gun hockey with them for two periods before Hackstol figured out that if they dumped the puck in they had the size and skill to keep BC pinned deep, but by then it was too late--they scored to make it 6-5 with like 10 seconds left in the game. He described the team as Brian Boyle, Orpik's little brother and 20 incredibly fast midgets, which in looking at that roster seems a pretty apt description--there were only about four guys on that roster who played significant minutes were taller than 6' or over 200lbs.

Mrs. Oshie is a certified rocket.

BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:18 pm

She is that and there are many Dads willing to drop their kids off at McLean Country Day in the morning for the privilege of catching a glimpse of her.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Logitano on Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:28 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:The Rangers are going to spend another 1-2 years on the Quinn experiment all the while wasting the better years of the core they've built around Kreider and Zibanejad.

EDIT: Quinn might not make it through the year.

Ruff would have made a lot of sense to elevate up.

Any thoughts on replacements? :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby Logitano on Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:47 pm

The Holiday is over, win with Quinn! :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Kelley Rink