NHL Gamecenter and the playoffs

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: NHL Gamecenter and the playoffs

Postby flyingelvii on Mon May 11, 2015 4:12 pm

From what I recall, they were one of the luckier playoff teams this year but they also lost a Norris-caliber defenseman in Giordano halfway through the year. Their big issue is going to be in net since Hiller and Ramo both suck. They do have Gilles in the pipeline as well as some other Finnish goalie (as well as HIller signed for another year), so they have options down the road there.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue May 12, 2015 8:20 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:From what I recall, they were one of the luckier playoff teams this year but they also lost a Norris-caliber defenseman in Giordano halfway through the year. Their big issue is going to be in net since Hiller and Ramo both suck. They do have Gilles in the pipeline as well as some other Finnish goalie (as well as HIller signed for another year), so they have options down the road there.

They had a ridiculous amount of 3rd period/OT comebacks, they were at about even in goals for and goals against with the goalie pulled. They definitely do have some good pieces, but they don't have depth. Beyond Gaudreau's line, they basically have a bunch of 3rd/4th liners, they play Dennis Wideman in heavy rotation on their 2nd D pairing, and Hiller and Ramo are not a long term solution.

Basically, they still have another 3 years to go before being real contenders (not just a fringe playoff team). So if they start throwing big money around on vets to 'get them over the hump' or reward some of their players who had career years off of high sh% (like the B's did this year), then they're pulling an Avs.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:18 am

Anyone know what Boyle was so mad about after his penalty last night?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:23 am

Sitting in the box for two minutes in a do or die game on an iffy penalty call?
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:06 pm

the officiating was certainly interesting last night (as it usually is). both teams got away with blatant too many men penalties, tampa must make the loosest line changes in the league
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Re: NHL playoffs

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:17 am

The start times have been awful. Would love to watch the LA v SJ and NSH v ANA games.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:32 am

amen, not to sound like :oldman but you have 3 games being played in the ET / CT and only 1 starts before 7 on a Sunday, WTF is that?

also maybe I was oblivious but I had no clue Matheson was up with the panthers and playing. assisted on the first goal last night
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:04 pm

Good riddance.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:36 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:amen, not to sound like :oldman but you have 3 games being played in the ET / CT and only 1 starts before 7 on a Sunday, WTF is that?

also maybe I was oblivious but I had no clue Matheson was up with the panthers and playing. assisted on the first goal last night

This. and the Wash-Phil & Dallas-Minn are unwatchable yet it seams those are the only games on before 10:00.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:20 am

Isles-Panthers played 3 games in 4 days, presumably because of a stadium conflict and they aren't going to put three games on at once if they can avoid it, especially when one is a west coast game.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:49 pm

Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby angrychicken on Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:56 pm

Nice effort
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:40 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:amen, not to sound like :oldman but you have 3 games being played in the ET / CT and only 1 starts before 7 on a Sunday, WTF is that?

This. and the Wash-Phil & Dallas-Minn are unwatchable yet it seams those are the only games on before 10:00.

nice to hear pat foley agree with me http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/nbcsn ... 1772420552

it's absurd. la / sj is a great series, no reason those games should start at 10:45, start them at 10 but Chicago / st. Louis is even more egregious, 8:45 local time start?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue May 03, 2016 7:33 am

very entertaining series so far.

letang is far and away the most unlikeable player on the pens. hagelin is so much fun to watch, not sure if he's $4 MM / year fun to watch

great for dumoulin, really found a role after stagnating the last couple of years. #4 on pitt in TOI
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue May 03, 2016 9:25 am

There is something really remarkable about the negative karma that surrounds Ovie and the Caps. The late goal notwithstanding, Justin Williams has played like absolute dogshit for most of the playoffs. Ditto Mike Richards, Niskanen and Orpik has played dumb, dumb, dumb. You can be the Mayor of Winnerville, but spend enough time in the Caps locker room and you catch whatever it is they have. Of course, it doesn't help that they hired a coach who spent 15 years in Nashville not getting out of the 2nd round. Objectively speaking, Dale Hunter is the best coach they have had over the last 10 years. Dale Hunter is, of course, plying his trade in the OHL.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby BCEagles66 on Wed May 04, 2016 1:10 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:very entertaining series so far.

letang is far and away the most unlikeable player on the pens. hagelin is so much fun to watch, not sure if he's $4 MM / year fun to watch

great for dumoulin, really found a role after stagnating the last couple of years. #4 on pitt in TOI

As a diehard Penguins fan, I LOVE watching Letang. I actually like the Rangers second, and hated Hags there as he had no skill beyond straight line speed. With Pittsburgh, he's actually crashing the net, making solid passes and playing great defense (still cannot shoot). But Letang is an awesome player. Thought his hit vs. Johansson wasn't that bad at all. I thought his sword hack vs. the Rangers was MUCH worse. That being said, he gets hit with cheap shots all day long every game.

Dumo has been great...not ready for top-pairing minutes/opposition, but solidly top 4 with room to grow.

The worst part of being a Pens fan is having a bu head coach and Bonino. Bonino, after blowing the first half+ of the season, has been playing great since being paired with Kessel and Hagelin. How you didn't pick him as the most unlikeable player is questionable....
BCEagles66
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed May 04, 2016 1:31 pm

I have a brother (that doesn't hate me) that is a Pens fan and he doesn't even pretend Letang plays any defense. Rich man's Tory Krug.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby ckoub01 on Wed May 04, 2016 2:15 pm

The difference between the Pens-Caps series and Isles-Bolts is startling. That's the de facto ECF and this is coming from a Lightning fan.

Agreed on the Letang hit not being egregious - that's a make-up suspension because of Orpik. Neither of those hit were as bad as the one on Drouin last night, which was clean.
ckoub01
n00b

Postby flyingelvii on Wed May 04, 2016 3:43 pm

It wasn't a make-up suspension at all. He hit the dude's head when he was looking away and about 1 second after he passed it. Now it wasn't as bad as the latest cheap shot in the Brooks Orpik collection, which was a clear target to the head about 30 seconds after the puck was released, but it was a late shot to the head nonetheless, a hit that Letang shouldn't even think about making. One game was what I predicted after seeing it, so I think it was appropriate.

The Drouin hit was classic shoulder to chest and a fantastic one at that.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri May 06, 2016 12:20 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I have a brother (that doesn't hate me) that is a Pens fan and he doesn't even pretend Letang plays any defense. Rich man's Tory Krug.

i wouldn't play much defense either if my goalie was saving 95% of the shots at even strength...
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri May 06, 2016 12:22 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I have a brother (that doesn't hate me) that is a Pens fan and he doesn't even pretend Letang plays any defense. Rich man's Tory Krug.

i wouldn't play much defense either if my goalie was saving 95% of the shots at even strength...

He hasn't always been back there. Marc-Andre Fivehole sends his regards
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Fri May 06, 2016 12:27 pm

BCEagles66 {l Wrote}:hated Hags there as he had no skill beyond straight line speed. With Pittsburgh, he's actually crashing the net, making solid passes and playing great defense (still cannot shoot).

Yeah that's actually what he did with the Rangers, especially his last season paired with Hayes and Fast.

It sucked that they had to get rid of him and even worse that they traded him for a guy that AV wouldn't play, who was essentially traded for nothing again.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu May 12, 2016 7:31 am

surprised angry dick hasn't chimed in on the annual rite of spring that occurred a couple of nights ago
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu May 12, 2016 9:42 am

Sorry, I was busy savoring the sweet taste of another Capitals meltdown. It is hard to imagine the joy I felt watching Smokin' Al Koken, Alan May and Joe Benanati going through the Kubler-Ross model before my eyes on the Caps Postgame and reading the scroll of angry/sad tweets. Over my wife's objections, I stayed up til 1:00 am watching the televised wake. I spent the next day laughing at talk radio--the recriminations that were flying around on 980 am were something to behold and nobody was spared. Orpik was obviously eviscerated with several hosts half-jokingly suggesting that he was a Trojan Horse plant by the Pens sent to destroy the best Caps team ever. Ovie and Backstrom were next in the line of fire, followed in no particular order by Alzner, Carlson, Niskanen, Williams and Oshie. And as if it couldn't get better, last night Troy Brower annihilates Dallas in Dallas and leads the Blues to their first conference finals in 15 years and the "Oshie is the American version of Ovie" theme was batted around a bit by the morning drive guys.

I saw Justin Williams this morning--he lives down the block from me and is a really nice guy. He has busted my balls about the 2014 Cup Finals against my beloved Rangers and I certainly owe him, but he just looked so sad that I did not have the heart to laugh. It's locker clean out day at the Kettler Complex. He said the problem was that they peaked in February and had not been playing particularly well since then while the Pens morphed into the best team in hockey. I was tempted to say the problem is that Trotz is your coach and he is averse to making it past the 2nd round, but I will wait until block party in June before rolling out that particular shtick.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon May 23, 2016 8:58 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Sorry, I was busy savoring the sweet taste of another Capitals meltdown. It is hard to imagine the joy I felt watching Smokin' Al Koken, Alan May and Joe Benanati going through the Kubler-Ross model before my eyes on the Caps Postgame and reading the scroll of angry/sad tweets. Over my wife's objections, I stayed up til 1:00 am watching the televised wake. I spent the next day laughing at talk radio--the recriminations that were flying around on 980 am were something to behold and nobody was spared. Orpik was obviously eviscerated with several hosts half-jokingly suggesting that he was a Trojan Horse plant by the Pens sent to destroy the best Caps team ever. Ovie and Backstrom were next in the line of fire, followed in no particular order by Alzner, Carlson, Niskanen, Williams and Oshie. And as if it couldn't get better, last night Troy Brower annihilates Dallas in Dallas and leads the Blues to their first conference finals in 15 years and the "Oshie is the American version of Ovie" theme was batted around a bit by the morning drive guys.

I saw Justin Williams this morning--he lives down the block from me and is a really nice guy. He has busted my balls about the 2014 Cup Finals against my beloved Rangers and I certainly owe him, but he just looked so sad that I did not have the heart to laugh. It's locker clean out day at the Kettler Complex. He said the problem was that they peaked in February and had not been playing particularly well since then while the Pens morphed into the best team in hockey. I was tempted to say the problem is that Trotz is your coach and he is averse to making it past the 2nd round, but I will wait until block party in June before rolling out that particular shtick.

Ever since I covered the Caps they peak in about February and face plant. The guys you listed at the top are not particularly nice in person.

Ovie is actually pretty cool
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:22 am

I feel like we say this every year (maybe if the search function was working we could CONFIRM) but good god has the officiating in the finals been brutal.

there have been times where outright tackling has gone uncalled and then you had the board on dumoulin last night where the ref was staring right at it.

entertaining series so far
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:25 am

Fat Phil is going to win the Conn Smythe and I love it
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Snooks Kelly on Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:34 pm

Does anyone remember the reason Lovejoy transferred out?
Snooks Kelly
n00b

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:23 am

Lovejoy came in with a ton of hype, but never looked good at BC and was not a top 4 defensemen. Domoulin is a stud--they double shifted him and Letang the last 15 minutes of the 3rd.

Also, Crosby winning the Conn Smythe was an absolute joke. Kessel, Bonino, Hagelin, Murray, Domoulin, Letang and Cullen were all far more important to winning the Cup than Cindy.

Bettman ought to be killed.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:00 pm

I don't really follow hockey, but the Canadiens are out of their minds, correct?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Kelley Rink