2016 winterclassic at Alumni??

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

2016 winterclassic at Alumni??

Postby HammarMA on Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:05 pm

Would this ever happen? Certainly better sightlines than Fenway. How long does in take to deflate/inflate the bubble?

http://nesn.com/2014/12/red-sox-coo-tea ... ain-video/
HammarMA
n00b

Re: 2016 winterclassic at Alumni??

Postby talon on Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:14 am

If Boston gets it again, they'll put it in Fenway again.

And it's probably time to retire this event, anyway. When the BCS spread out the bowls to January 1, 2, 3, 4, etc, college football kind of lost it's dominance over New Year's Day sports. With the two semifinals now on January 1, the NHL's chance to shine may be done.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby AdamBC on Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:12 pm

I think those are two different groups of sports fans in general. I've never gotten the sense that college football fanatics and NHL fanatics overlap all that much.

I would prefer to see Boston do the winter classic away from Fenway - the sightlines are really bad. Alumni would be nice (and would be interesting to see if BC would use the ice for a home hockey game) - however parking would be a major issue - there's already significant issues during a big BC game, fill the student sections with people who don't live on campus and you're doubling down on parking concerns.
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby talon on Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:23 pm

AdamBC {l Wrote}:I think those are two different groups of sports fans in general. I've never gotten the sense that college football fanatics and NHL fanatics overlap all that much.

There are NHL fans and there are casual sports fans who will watch an NHL game when it's played outdoors.

Compare the ratings for NHL on NBC for a Winter Classic to NHL on NBC for a Stadium Series game to NHL on NBC for a regular season game.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:06 pm

talon {l Wrote}:
AdamBC {l Wrote}:I think those are two different groups of sports fans in general. I've never gotten the sense that college football fanatics and NHL fanatics overlap all that much.

There are NHL fans and there are casual sports fans who will watch an NHL game when it's played outdoors.

Compare the ratings for NHL on NBC for a Winter Classic to NHL on NBC for a Stadium Series game to NHL on NBC for a regular season game.

The playoff games start at 4:30 where the Winter Classic begins at 1 PM IIRC so there's not much of an overlap unless you're actually going to the game.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Return to Kelley Rink