Preseason Primers...

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Preseason Primers...

Postby claver2010 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:28 pm

As we leave the off season think it deserves a new thread.

Article by McKenzie of TSN on Hanifin.

Will be fun to have 2 top 3-5 picks on Comm Ave this winter

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=462393

MCKENZIE: HOCKEY FANS WILL SOON KNOW THE NAME HANIFIN

Bob and Tina Hanifin's first-born child arrived on Jan. 25, 1997, but it took Dad and Mom another few days before they decided on a name for their baby boy.

Noah.

Noah Hanifin.

"My wife loved it," Bob Hanifin said. "After we named him that, she told me, 'He's going to go on to do great things with this name.'"

If you're not familiar with Noah Hanifin, you soon will be. And, yes, it would appear he's on course to do great things, certainly in the hockey arena.

This year's NHL draft is billed as the Connor McDavid draft. Or Connor McDavid vs. Jack Eichel. McDavid and Eichel have been labeled generational talents, potential NHL franchise centres, the undisputed top two in the Class of 2015.

Hanifin, a defenceman, will be hard pressed to displace either of the star centres, but the Boston College freshman goes into this season as a potential elite offensive blueliner who could yet transform the high end of this draft from a dynamic duo to a tremendous trio.

"There's not a huge gap between McDavid or Eichel and Hanifin but there is, to start the season anyway, a gap between those top three and everyone else," said one head scout of an NHL team. "(Hanifin) is at a disadvantage simply because he's a defenceman and the other two guys are centres. But (Hanifin) could be Scott Niedermayer. He skates like him."

Hanifin is a shade under 6-foot-3 and weighs 205 pounds. The scouting report says he has world-class wheels, elite offensive skills, can run a power play and use his size effectively to play physically when it's required. He's not quite as big as Nashville Predator Seth Jones, the last prospect, before Hanifin, who went into his NHL draft year billed as the next great American defenceman. Some scouts like Hanifin better than Jones at the same stage of development. Others think the jury is still out on that. Regardless, Hanifin is certainly viewed as being in the same universe as the top defenceman from the 2013 NHL draft, who was ranked No. 1 much of his draft year before going fourth overall to Nashville.

TSN's pre-season 2015 NHL draft rankings will be unveiled in a half-hour special (and on www.tsn.ca) Thursday at 7:30pm et/4:30pm pt – at precisely the same time as Hanifin, Eichel and others will be playing in the USA Hockey All-American Prospects Game at Buffalo's First Niagara Center.

There is considerable discussion amongst NHL scouts who should start this season as No. 1 – McDavid or Eichel – but (spoiler alert) there's little doubt who's ranked No. 3 – eight of 10 NHL scouts surveyed by TSN have Hanifin right behind the two star centres.

Hanifin played last season for USA Hockey's Under-17 program based out of Ann Arbor, Mich., but in late March was added to the Under-18 national team, where he excelled at the Under-18 World Championships last April, helping to lead Team USA to the gold medal. With one goal and five points, Hanifin was highest-scoring American defenceman.

"He took over the tournament as an underage defenceman," said another NHL head scout.

Hanifin was a teammate of Eichel's at that tournament; Hanifan hasn't played with or against McDavid, though Hanifin did skate this summer with McDavid -- as well as Sam Gagner, John Tavares and other NHLers -- at a skating and skills session in the Toronto area. Hanifin first met McDavid last year at a Boston Bruin game when they were both there as guests of the agent – Bobby Orr – they share.

Hanifin is uniquely qualified to size up the Mac (McDavid) or Jack (Eichel) battle, but as one might expect, he's playing it safe, with a fellow American/former teammate who is now a college rival at Boston University and a young Canadian whom he got to know as a friend/training partner this summer.

"Well, they're both tremendous players," Hanifin said. "But I just try to focus on my own game and what I can control."

This was supposed to be Hanifin's senior year at high school, the season in which he moved up fulltime to the U.S. Under-18 program. But he instead opted to fast track his high school graduation – he took internet courses all summer – so he could go directly to Boston College, where he's been billed as the youngest player in BC history. (For the record, Boston College has no definitive word on who is the youngest player to play for the Eagles, but a 17-year old freshman is highly unusual.)

"It's always been my goal to play college hockey and I've always wanted to go to Boston College," Hanifin said. "It's a big jump but I'm looking forward to the challenge. I'm feeling confident in practice but I know I'll be playing against guys who are a lot older, a lot more mature. So it's going to be a challenge but I like challenges. I'm looking forward to getting started."

Hanifin began his minor hockey career as a forward. But Neil Shea, an NHL scout (now with the Colorado Avalanche) who was Hanifin's coach through much of his minor hockey career in the Boston area with the South Shore Kings, moved him to the blueline, and there's been no looking back. Hanifin also excelled at St. Sebastian's prep school before going to the U.S. program in Ann Arbor. As a 13-year-old eighth grader, Hanifan made the St. Sebastian's varsity high school team, playing against competition as much as five years older.

Hanifin grew up in Norwood, Mass., southwest of Boston. He has a younger brother Cole, 12, and younger sister, Lily, 11. His parents – Bob, a Boston court officer, and Tina, who works in human resources with a law firm – both grew up in the city (Boston). Not surprisingly, Noah was raised to be a Bruin fan.

"Oh, yeah, my Dad was always a huge Bruin fan," Hanifin said.

But the defenceman he most admired growing up was Detroit Red Wing star Nick Lidstrom. Hanifin wore no. 5 in minor hockey and at St. Sebastian's as a tribute to Lidstrom. No. 5 wasn't available with the U-17 team so he wore 55. No. 5 is taken at Boston College, so he'll wear No. 7, which isn't a coincidence.

Hanifin is too young to recall Ray Bourque's time with the Bruins but his Dad most certainly imparted some wisdom.

"I've watched a lot of Ray Bourque video because my Dad told me all about him," Hanifin said. "Nick Lidstrom and Ray Bourque, those would be the two defencemen I've tried to model my game after."

Disappointments have been few and far between in Hanifan's young hockey career, but he was not happy to not be invited to USA Hockey's national junior team summer evaluation camp in Lake Placid, N.Y., though he wasn't alone on that count. U-17 teammate Zach Werenski, who often was paired on the blueline with Hanifin, was also overlooked. Like Hanifan, Werenski fast-tracked through high school to leave the U.S. program a year early for the University of Michigan. There was speculation the Lake Placid snub was a USA Hockey reaction to the pair bolting early. Players are generally expected to play two seasons - U-17 and U-18 - in the system.

Nevertheless, USA Hockey still considers Hanifin, Werenski and, for that matter, Tampa first-rounder draft pick Anthony DeAngelo of the OHL's Sarnia Sting (a third high profile absentee from the Lake Placid camp) as candidates for the U.S. world junior team.

"I wasn't that surprised (at not being invited to the summer camp)," Hanifin said. "I'm a young guy but I'm a competitive kid and I feel like I can contribute. (Not getting invited) motivated me even more."

In the meantime, he intends to do whatever he can to work on the areas of the game that need improvement.

"I'm really focusing on my shot," he said. "I'm working on that a lot. I'm trying to shoot it harder, be better at the one-timers, get more shots through."

He's also taking advantage of having Bobby Orr as a sounding board and confidante.

"The biggest thing Bobby tells me is to not get caught up in everything -- the draft, the attention, the pressure, all that stuff," Hanifan said. "He tells me to embrace it, just enjoy playing, just try to have fun playing the game and focusing on that."

So that is what he will do, and it all starts in earnest this week: McDavid's third OHL season with the Erie Otters begins on Wednesday; Eichel, Hanifan and the best young American talent playing in the U.S. prospects game in Buffalo on Thursday.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Re: Preseason Primers...

Postby claver2010 on Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:33 am

NHL released their preliminary rankings for the 2015 draft, some familiar names.

A = 1st rounder
B = 2/3 rounder
C = 4-6

Hanifin A
Colin White A
Jeremy Bracco B (mainly because of his size at 5'9. there's also question as to whether we're dealing with another milano situation with this kid)
Chris Birdsall B (the goalie they grabbed what seems like forever ago, apparently he has been struggling though)
Casey Fitzgerald B (defenseman, brother of Ryan)
David Cotton C

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=731360
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:06 am

Just looking at the roster, do they really only have 7 defensemen on the roster? Is Linell going to end up on D again?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:56 pm

Given the questions at F have to assume (pray?) Linell stays up front.

Might have the most talent from blue line back in a long time under York
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:53 pm

Should be no reason to put him back there, barring injury. Give Jeke run. Is also hate to see Linnel play on the "shutdown line" again given how bad that combo was.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:28 pm

no surprise (especially once Milano bolted) but Fitzergald is moving to C

silk out

lines right now:
Tuch-Gilmour-Calnan (serious size on this one: 220, 209, 193)
Sanford-Fitz-Cangelosi
Gaudreau-Linell-Spiro
Smith-Sit-Straight

Matheson-Savage
McCoshen Doherty
Santini Noah

according to the kid

Couple of thoughts:

Going to need 1 or 2 from the last listed line to have a Pat Brown like senior season. Again we're pretty top heavy.

I think we're going to get a ton of offense from the blueline.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:42 am

Has Matheson not been invited back to the team yet?
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby shockdoct on Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:54 pm

Wasn't at the game, but I was receiving updates by the chn app... the number of goals allowed to this type of opponent is alarming.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:43 pm

Demko only played the first period. There were a lot of giveaways, especially Sanford on the pp sending the UNB on a breakaway. Sit played well, be interesting to see if he can make a big step up this year. BC is a very big team this year that will wear down a lot of teams. It will take some time to figure out who should be on a line with Fitz and Cange,but I expect Silk, maybe even Sit will be given a chance. They will have 2 strong lines for sure and I think they will put together a 3rd scoring line by next March along with a shut down line.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby wolverineneshl on Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:21 am

Tuch was obviously impressive with 2 goals and I think he will be counted on to provide some of the offense. Only an exhibition game but the give aways will be worked on. Barone looked good in the 2nd and Billett looked weak on his 2 goals allowed but some of that is the fault of his skaters in front of him on give aways.

Matheson tries to do too much sometimes and needs to make good decisions to avoid coughing up the puck or bad plays. He is a junior now and expect more from him. Hanafin looked OK and will contribute. McCoshen was a monster out there on some of those hits and one NB player, #23 was ejected from the game. Straight got hit hard and was slow to get up but was OK rest of the game. Chippy game with these Canadiens.

Sanford didn't impress me though he has good size.

I already bought my ticket for next Friday in Lowell and plenty available at the BC ticket office. If you're interested in RIT, you have to buy through them as there is a problem for them to send an allotment to BC to sell for some reason. Same day as BC plays Clemson and they have not announced the game time for it. I would think it would be around noon or 12:30 PM game and the hockey game at RIT at 7 PM. I was thinking of driving to NY but no way since I have football tickets too. Clemson clobbered NC State.
wolverineneshl
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:13 am

Tough to read too much into it as not sure the skill level of the opposition + they're 23-26 (good test for our first game against lowell!)

Several thoughts:
Nice to see Benedetto was in midseason form, took him 10 minutes in a fucking exhibition game to sort out a call. Ended up being matching majors resulting in 5 min of 4 on 4 with the UNB kid getting tossed and going ham on the chairs in the hallway which was interesting. The 4 on 4 really broke up flow of the period.
Big line of Calnan-Gilmour-Tuch was obviously impressive. Tuch was the most impressive FR by far. 5 SOG, & 2 goals in different ways (quick rocket release from the slot & planted in front of the PP).
Nice to see some scoring from the lower lines, Sit & Linell and I could've sworn Desty (?) tipped Savage's first goal.
Demko looked sharp. He's such a big goalie in there and extremely athletic there's just not much room.
Noah wasn't very noticeable which I guess is good 1 assist, 1 shot & +2

This is just a big BC team across the board. Yeah you have the Linell & Quinn but the big line combines to be over 600 lbs and they're all underclassmen, 5 of 6 D are 6'1"+

Concerning:
Defensive breakdowns. There must've been 4 breakaways in the 2nd half of the game
Allowing a SHG, still getting the point worked out
Teams pretty weak down the middle.

No injuries (beyond Silk) and get ready for Lowell
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BostonCollege1 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:06 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Tough to read too much into it as not sure the skill level of the opposition + they're 23-26 (good test for our first game against lowell!)

Several thoughts:
Nice to see Benedetto was in midseason form, took him 10 minutes in a fucking exhibition game to sort out a call. Ended up being matching majors resulting in 5 min of 4 on 4 with the UNB kid getting tossed and going ham on the chairs in the hallway which was interesting. The 4 on 4 really broke up flow of the period.
Big line of Calnan-Gilmour-Tuch was obviously impressive. Tuch was the most impressive FR by far. 5 SOG, & 2 goals in different ways (quick rocket release from the slot & planted in front of the PP).
Nice to see some scoring from the lower lines, Sit & Linell and I could've sworn Desty (?) tipped Savage's first goal.
Demko looked sharp. He's such a big goalie in there and extremely athletic there's just not much room.
Noah wasn't very noticeable which I guess is good 1 assist, 1 shot & +2

This is just a big BC team across the board. Yeah you have the Linell & Quinn but the big line combines to be over 600 lbs and they're all underclassmen, 5 of 6 D are 6'1"+

Concerning:
Defensive breakdowns. There must've been 4 breakaways in the 2nd half of the game
Allowing a SHG, still getting the point worked out
Teams pretty weak down the middle.

No injuries (beyond Silk) and get ready for Lowell

Benedetto has sucked for decades... still remember a game vs. UMass where he called 26 penalties - and there wasn't any sort of fight, IIRC.
Security guy in that tunnel just smiled and let the UNB player alone. Every time a UNB player was called for a penalty, they had the "Who, me?" look.

Interesting that Barone went in ahead of Billett - and I thought he looked the better of the two.

Hanafin is very smooth-skating for someone of his size, lots of agility, seems very poised (albeit for an exhibition). SHG happened when he and Matheson were on the points together. Hopefully, Jerry doesn't team the two of them up 5 on 5, both think offense first.

Destry missed a wide open net, and Tuch looked like the most impressive player on the ice.

Looking forward to the game at Lowell. BC has lots of tickets left.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Return to Kelley Rink