BC vs Union in the 1st Semi

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: BC vs Union in the 1st Semi

Postby bchockey04 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:51 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:I finally calmed down enough to logon. I am so fucking angry and cant put my finger on it. How the fuck wasnt that icing? I need to go shooting tomorrow. I missed the game because of NY banking audit by 2 Nigerians who didnt know how to apply a single CFPB rule and were giving me shit for how much I charge. 3 days of horseshit by idiots and this is my reward. :suicide :suicide

College has hybrid icing now as well, so it's only icing if your defenders reach the face off dot first. Since the union player was behind everyone...no icing.

I'm not all that upset. BC didn't deserve to win plain and simple. If they had played better and just been stoned by a goalie standing on his head...well that's the worst. Union is a very good team, and anyone who says otherwise is just letting the anger of losing get in the way.
bchockey04
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:19 am

Yeah that sucked. Union is a good team, haven't lost since January, but didn't play all that well and still had big chances to win.

Was never in love with stacking the big line but it was the result of 2 complete whiffs of recruiting classes in the JR/SO class. It really stunted the growth of Cangelosi & Fitz. Think Cangelosi is going to turn into a 25 goal per year sniper once he matures and he's already one of our best 2 way forwards (and now that Arnold's done, he's probably our best). By the end of the season the all FR line was our 2nd best line.

Very young team in both age and experience. Youngest player in college hockey between the pipes, 5 Dmen are FR/SO.

With one of the best classes in York's history maturing from FR to SO and another bumper crop of FR coming in team should be favorites in HE this fall.

Shocked I got nearly face for my Saturday tickets.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:55 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Shocked I got nearly face for my Saturday tickets.

You did well. I took a 30% haircut on mine, but I was happy just to get them off my hands.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:05 am

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:Well that sucked hairy donkey balls. 2 good BC friends made the trip down here. 3rd period sucked, but at least dinner afterwards was fun. Pissed that now I'll just be selling my Saturday night tickets on stub hub for whatever I can get for them.

How the hell do you not score on a 5-minute power play? By not shooting, that's how.

Ugh.

Was one of your 2 good BC friends tubasteak?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby shockdoct on Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:06 am

Listed mine on stubhub when I got home from Monks at like 2 am at what I figured was fairly high price but a few dollars under similarly listed seats.
Gone before I woke up.
Even after all the fees (10% to the buyer and 15% to the seller?!?), I only lost a few bucks.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby commavegarage on Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:09 am

really not that disappointed.

was a really fun year to follow the team...once the big line was set, it was clear it was going to be very difficult to win it all.

the big line was and is good enough to beat 90% of ncaa teams by itself pretty much...and it did.

but there was just too much reliance on them all year. way too much. and that's what happens when your junior year (outside of G) and sophomore year classes contribute absolutely nothing on the offensive end. pathetic really.

this upcoming freshman class better be as good as advertised or we'll be in trouble.

ive followed the team loosely since 07, then very well from 08 on. this was not a disappointing year in my opinion. the only year that I thought we really blew it in my time was my junior year ('11). that team was absolutely loaded and had no business losing any games.

on to next year.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby shockdoct on Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:29 am

Unfortunately BC squandered the opportunity of the first 10 minutes of the game where Union was on their heels playing very tentative.
BC hit some posts and didn't capitalize on all of Union's mistakes with the puck in their own zone.
It was clear going into the 1st intermission that Union had settled down and their defensemen started moving the puck up the ice.

I stuck around for the first period of the ND/MN game and I know BC has historically played the kind of up and down transition game, but I am not sure we have the defensemen right now to play that way. ND actually looked a lot like some of the old BC teams where the defensemen could handle the puck, but I wouldn't call them "puck moving" defensemen. When they got turnovers, they immediately transitioned to offense with a crisp pass on the stick of their forwards.

Our breakout consisted of firing it off the glass and having forwards go chase it.

Union showed a bit of the trap after the 1st period and we just couldn't get the puck through the neutral zone with speed like we did in the first 10 min of the game. I can't believe with all of the practice over the past month that we looked so out of sync when facing the trap.

Matheson can just go to the AHL. I have never seen a guy with his size and skating ability just let guys go right around him to the net without using his body.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:42 am

shockdoct {l Wrote}:Listed mine on stubhub when I got home from Monks at like 2 am at what I figured was fairly high price but a few dollars under similarly listed seats.
Gone before I woke up.
Even after all the fees (10% to the buyer and 15% to the seller?!?), I only lost a few bucks.

stubhub completely bends you over (insert tre pic) but they're the gorilla & everyone uses them. i've always had success finding buyers when selling.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby shockdoct on Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:43 am

BTW has anyone heard if anything was wrong physically with Hayes yesterday?

Outside of the first 10 min, I haven't seen him play that poorly all year. It was like he went back in time and played like his first 3 years....
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:00 am

shockdoct {l Wrote}:BTW has anyone heard if anything was wrong physically with Hayes yesterday?

Outside of the first 10 min, I haven't seen him play that poorly all year. It was like he went back in time and played like his first 3 years....

I've thought he's been playing hurt since about the UML series 6 weeks ago, though I have no idea what his injury actually is.

There were whispers a little while back (they subsequently quieted after the Denver game) but nothing concrete.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby shockdoct on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:19 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
shockdoct {l Wrote}:BTW has anyone heard if anything was wrong physically with Hayes yesterday?

I've thought he's been playing hurt since about the UML series 6 weeks ago, though I have no idea what his injury actually is.

There were whispers a little while back (they subsequently quieted after the Denver game) but nothing concrete.

He really struggled with pucks in close to his body yesterday. It isn't all that surprising considering his size, but for this entire season he had definitely figured it out.
Third period he really struggled at times.

Also I heard it was pointed out on the radio, but the away from the puck clutch and grab on Johnny was apparent if you were in the building (several instances right in front of the ref). While that is the game of hockey, if you are going to put fitz in the box for that suspect interference...there should be some consistency.

I really hope the defensemen make the leap next year as this should be an extremely talented team that hopefully is hungry for the home ice frozen four.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:30 am

shockdoct {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

He really struggled with pucks in close to his body yesterday. It isn't all that surprising considering his size, but for this entire season he had definitely figured it out.
Third period he really struggled at times.

Also I heard it was pointed out on the radio, but the away from the puck clutch and grab on Johnny was apparent if you were in the building (several instances right in front of the ref). While that is the game of hockey, if you are going to put fitz in the box for that suspect interference...there should be some consistency.

I really hope the defensemen make the leap next year as this should be an extremely talented team that hopefully is hungry for the home ice frozen four.

Watching it on TV, the Fitzgerald interference call was one of the easiest penalties to call in the history of hockey. Not calling that would have been a travesty. And it was utterly unnecessary and really stupid.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:04 am

People are going to say this sounds nuts, but Mattheson leaving would be addition by subtraction next year. I think he's my new Spencer Rositano/Lonnie Jackson.

That or move him to RW.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:06 am

Matheson is nowhere near as bad as people have made him out to be in this thread.

he obviously did not have his best game yesterday.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:11 am

Not surprising re Gaudreau. Can't remember seeing as much shit away from the puck as Johnny has dealt with over the last month, it was at its worst against UML 2 weeks ago. He better get used to it I guess.

One of my favorite moments this year was in the beanpot where some BU turd was going nuts slashing Johnny before the faceoff. Linesman blows the whistle, guy still going nuts. Santini skates up from his spot yanks Johnny out of LW and lines up as a winger and the moron stops.

That was one of the areas where the team really improved over last year. When you have the small, skilled players you need someone who isn't afraid to scramble some brains out there. Santini & McCoshen gave this team an edge they didn't have.

Agreed on the Fitz call.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:17 am

Agreed w CAG 110% regarding Matheson

Does he turn the puck over at times? No doubt. But guess what he handles the puck probably double the amount of time the rest of our D core combined. While others instantly look for the outlet pass or banking it off the glass and having our forwards go get it. He can actually carry the puck out and start transition on his own.

Does he need work in his own end? Certainly but what Dman who just turned 20 doesn't?

The blind drop passes? Yeah that shit needs to go.

The amount of vitriol this kid gets is absurd.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby shockdoct on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:27 am

My issue with Matheson is that he just tries to do too much with the puck. Take the opportunities to skate it when they are there, but otherwise retrieve the puck then get your head up to find a forward. That is what BC defensemen have been doing for years.

The Fitzgerald call was tough. It is just like pick play in the secondary in football.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:29 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
shockdoct {l Wrote}:Listed mine on stubhub when I got home from Monks at like 2 am at what I figured was fairly high price but a few dollars under similarly listed seats.
Gone before I woke up.

stubhub completely bends you over (insert tre pic) but they're the gorilla & everyone uses them. i've always had success finding buyers when selling.

agreed. ebay is the vanilla of secondary markets.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:44 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:Matheson is nowhere near as bad as people have made him out to be in this thread.

he obviously did not have his best game yesterday.

He takes ridiculously awful penalties (see UNH game last year), he plays little to no defense, and makes incredibly lazy mistakes in his own zone. Have fun in the AHL.

You all sound like Steve Donahue in this thread. I'm pretty sure as a defenseman you're supposed to at least attempt to play defense.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby shockdoct on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:45 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Agreed w CAG 110% regarding Matheson

Does he turn the puck over at times? No doubt. But guess what he handles the puck probably double the amount of time the rest of our D core combined. While others instantly look for the outlet pass or banking it off the glass and having our forwards go get it. He can actually carry the puck out and start transition on his own.

Does he need work in his own end? Certainly but what Dman who just turned 20 doesn't?

I am ok with immediately looking for the outlet pass as you can't go wrong with our forwards going through the neutral zone with speed. I could do without the more prevalent break out strategy of banking it off the glass to the other teams d-men. I do think this year (ND in particular) has exposed a weakness in our ability to beat the trap that I don't recall from past years.

Matheson just needs to learn to when he should carry it out (in the middle of a change for example) and when to just get it on the stick of the forwards. I just hoped it would have happened by the end of year 2. Maybe I am just spoiled from watching Dumoulin step right in a play solidly in his own zone while also display a pretty nice offensive skill set (and I am shocked he isn't in the league playing regularly).
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:49 am

shockdoct {l Wrote}:My issue with Matheson is that he just tries to do too much with the puck. Take the opportunities to skate it when they are there, but otherwise retrieve the puck then get your head up to find a forward. That is what BC defensemen have been doing for years.

The Fitzgerald call was tough. It is just like pick play in the secondary in football.

It really wasn't. He skated away from a play on the puck to hip check the guy away from the play. I had no idea what he was thinking when I saw the replay, but it wasn't a close call.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby shockdoct on Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:03 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
shockdoct {l Wrote}:My issue with Matheson is that he just tries to do too much with the puck. Take the opportunities to skate it when they are there, but otherwise retrieve the puck then get your head up to find a forward. That is what BC defensemen have been doing for years.

It really wasn't. He skated away from a play on the puck to hip check the guy away from the play. I had no idea what he was thinking when I saw the replay, but it wasn't a close call.

I just pulled this up on espn3 because I was surprised at people's reaction to my comment. It didn't look that bad in real time inside the arena (even the gopher fans behind me commented as such), but it does look pretty egregious in slow motion.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:09 am

To be honest I was screaming at the TV that it was bullshit and then I saw the replay and went "okay, maybe not"
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:44 am

shockdoct {l Wrote}:

I am ok with immediately looking for the outlet pass as you can't go wrong with our forwards going through the neutral zone with speed. I could do without the more prevalent break out strategy of banking it off the glass to the other teams d-men. I do think this year (ND in particular) has exposed a weakness in our ability to beat the trap that I don't recall from past years.

Matheson just needs to learn to when he should carry it out (in the middle of a change for example) and when to just get it on the stick of the forwards. I just hoped it would have happened by the end of year 2. Maybe I am just spoiled from watching Dumoulin step right in a play solidly in his own zone while also display a pretty nice offensive skill set (and I am shocked he isn't in the league playing regularly).

Matheson's ceiling is probably someone like Brian Campbell. Swift, biggish puck-moving defenseman but not someone you want to have anchoring your D in the final minute while protecting a one goal lead. I do think most of this thread is overreacting.

With regards to the five minute PP, Union did a fantastic job clogging the middle. There were a couple times where a quick shot or one-timer would've helped but the shooting lanes were blocked for the most part. Plus BC was struggling with tape to tape passes. A lot of bouncing pucks and indirects on that which always mess up the flow of the PP and allow the D to get set. Shooting wasn't the issue, the set-up, or lack thereof, was the bigger problem.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:17 pm

I haven't seen a replay and don't plan on it, but watching live it looked like the Union player crashed directions to run into Fitz and draw the call. I thought it was atrocious and led directly to the go ahead goal.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby shockdoct on Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:20 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
shockdoct {l Wrote}:

Matheson's ceiling is probably someone like Brian Campbell. Swift, biggish puck-moving defenseman but not someone you want to have anchoring your D in the final minute while protecting a one goal lead. I do think most of this thread is overreacting.

With regards to the five minute PP, Union did a fantastic job clogging the middle. There were a couple times where a quick shot or one-timer would've helped but the shooting lanes were blocked for the most part. Plus BC was struggling with tape to tape passes. A lot of bouncing pucks and indirects on that which always mess up the flow of the PP and allow the D to get set. Shooting wasn't the issue, the set-up, or lack thereof, was the bigger problem.

I am not expecting a shut down defender out of Matheson, but I cringe every time he just doesn't use his body (his hip more specifically) to prevent guys from getting around him as he is big guy who can really skate. Usually you see forwards sliding right around big guys who aren't great skaters (e.g. North dakota defensemen in the 00's). He also tends to play the puck instead of his man in the defensive zone. Both of these things usually result in odd man situations and many times goals.

They are just small defensive tweaks that would really round out his game and it is frustrating that you don't see them improving after playing so much the last 2 years,

Puck bounced over a lot of sticks after the 1st period (Hayes point blank chance from early in the 3rd comes to mind). It was rather surprising the BC PP couldn't get it going in the major penalty as Union's PK was average-below average this year (low 80s).
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:27 pm

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:I haven't seen a replay and don't plan on it, but watching live it looked like the Union player crashed directions to run into Fitz and draw the call. I thought it was atrocious and led directly to the go ahead goal.

The exact opposite happened.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:20 pm

shockdoct {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
shockdoct {l Wrote}:

I am not expecting a shut down defender out of Matheson, but I cringe every time he just doesn't use his body (his hip more specifically) to prevent guys from getting around him as he is big guy who can really skate. Usually you see forwards sliding right around big guys who aren't great skaters (e.g. North dakota defensemen in the 00's). He also tends to play the puck instead of his man in the defensive zone. Both of these things usually result in odd man situations and many times goals.

They are just small defensive tweaks that would really round out his game and it is frustrating that you don't see them improving after playing so much the last 2 years,

Puck bounced over a lot of sticks after the 1st period (Hayes point blank chance from early in the 3rd comes to mind). It was rather surprising the BC PP couldn't get it going in the major penalty as Union's PK was average-below average this year (low 80s).

I don't disagree and was more addressing the people that said Matheson would be addition by subtraction and other nonsense of that nature. Even if he is as bad defensively as people in here are hyperbolically claiming in here, you then treat him like a Krug and manage his zone starts and the competition he faces since he's certainly a plus from the offensive blue line in.

I also imagine a player with his skillset was somewhat stunted in his defensive development because of his size and skill early on in which they didn't have to rely on defensive guile and trickery that comes about with experience. Will he ever get there? Now that is to be seen. Defense takes a really long time to learn.

Regarding the interference penalty, my initial reaction was hoping the ref kept his arm at his side and then cringing when he raised it since that meant he got caught. Pretty blatant and obvious call.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby commavegarage on Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:01 pm

the kid says g's probably gone
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:33 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:the kid says g's probably gone

:-(
I was hoping he would stay to win the championship next year but then again personally it would probably be a poor decision on his part being the best player in the country.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Kelley Rink