NCAA Tournament

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

NCAA Tournament

Postby claver2010 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:07 pm

Selection show tomorrow at noon on ESPNU.

BC is 99.9% guaranteed the #1 seed in the northeast regional in Worcester
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Re: NCAA Tournament

Postby pick6pedro on Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:08 pm

You made me more nervous about Bridgeport with this post.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:22 am

Looking like Denver in Worcester, Saturday at 4:00 on ESPNU

UML straight off their HE win looking like the 2 seed in the region
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:17 am

Had this discussion last year, but 6 pm on a Sunday Night is absurd
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:36 am

At least it isn't 9? :shrug

@BCHockeyNews 22m
According to @Buccigross, the Eagles are back in Worcester at the DCU Center! @BCHockeyNews learns its opponent at noon on @ESPNU #WeAreBC
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:44 am

This is most likely the bracket:

Worcester
2 BC vs 15 Denver
7 Lowell vs 10 Minnesota State

St. Paul
1 Minnesota vs 16 Robert Morris
8 Notre Dame vs 9 St. Cloud State

Bridgeport
3 Union vs 14 North Dakota
6 Quinnipiac vs 11 Providence

Cincinnati
4 Wisconsin vs 13 Vermont
5 Ferris State vs 12 Colgate

Only possible change would be swapping North Dakota and Vermont
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:04 am

Guess again, it's 3:00 on ESPN2 vs Denver

UML vs Minn St on other side.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:27 am

Tough region, but to be expected.

I think it really comes down to Demko. I expect some of the defensive lapses from the frosh on the blue line, but not the soft goals we've seen lately.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:06 pm

Looks like ESPN was wrong about hockey (shocking, I know). BC is the 4:00 on ESPNU

@bchockeyblog1
They're switching up the fourth line. Matty G in. Merry Christmas.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:40 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:Tough region, but to be expected.

Meh, could've been a lot worse. Denver doesn't impress me at all and hopefully UML/Minn State will beat each other up. Lowell is playing well right now but they're certainly not a team we can't handle.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:57 pm

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:

Meh, could've been a lot worse. Denver doesn't impress me at all and hopefully UML/Minn State will beat each other up. Lowell is playing well right now but they're certainly not a team we can't handle.

Really? Of course BC can beat anyne. And I admit I don't know a ton about these teams, but we've lost 3 of our last 4, played only 3 games over a 4 week span, and each of those teams is on a strong streak (Lowell 3/4 and shutout their opponents at the garden, Minny St is 12-0-1 in their last 13, and DU has won 4 straight). There is always cause for concern when we are the coldest of the 4 and the only non-conference tourney champ.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby wolverineneshl on Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:27 pm

Nothing is a given but up to BC to get it together. Not only does Demko or Billet has to play better but the team D also.

They should be able to get by Denver but UML and Minnesota State are playing well also as someone has mentioned.

I think the coaching staff have to tighten up the D if the team is to advance.

BC is selling but not sure if you can pick your own seats.
wolverineneshl
McGuinn Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:48 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Really? Of course BC can beat anyne. And I admit I don't know a ton about these teams, but we've lost 3 of our last 4, played only 3 games over a 4 week span, and each of those teams is on a strong streak (Lowell 3/4 and shutout their opponents at the garden, Minny St is 12-0-1 in their last 13, and DU has won 4 straight). There is always cause for concern when we are the coldest of the 4 and the only non-conference tourney champ.

Momentum from week to week is overrated in college hockey, IMO. It's not like any other sport where you're playing games at a consistent clip, whether it's once a week in football, every 3-4 days in NCAA basketball, basically every other night in the NHL/NBA, almost every day in baseball. You play two games in 2-3 nights and then you have 5 days off, making each weekend its own event.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:30 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Momentum from week to week is overrated in college hockey, IMO. It's not like any other sport where you're playing games at a consistent clip, whether it's once a week in football, every 3-4 days in NCAA basketball, basically every other night in the NHL/NBA, almost every day in baseball. You play two games in 2-3 nights and then you have 5 days off, making each weekend its own event.

You can phrase it any way you like. Using your terminology, BC won't have won an "event" in 5 weeks when they take the ice on (hopefully) back to back nights against teams that have won "events" far more recently. You can poo poo it. I won't.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:26 am

I guess here's where we see if BC is in a slump, peaked too early, or simply if ND has their number. If chalk holds (which seems like almost never), we'd advance and face a UML team that we handled well until the last 10 mins of the series, right before we went into our month of playing ND.

I'm not as doom and gloom as some posters on BCI and USCHO are. I think I said it before, but this is going to be more about matchups than anything for us.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:16 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

I'd worry about losing 3 of 4 if they weren't all to the same team.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:45 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

That's definitely a consideration. I would also worry less if it wasn't a combination of lines 2-4 disappearing, line 1 having trouble getting into the zone, awful D lapses, and soft goals allowed. Which also highlights the importance of matchups with this team.

I'm not doom and gloom, I just don't get those who seem to think BC can sleepwalk into the finals.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:11 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

That's definitely a consideration. I would also worry less if it wasn't a combination of lines 2-4 disappearing, line 1 having trouble getting into the zone, awful D lapses, and soft goals allowed. Which also highlights the importance of matchups with this team.

I'm not doom and gloom, I just don't get those who seem to think BC can sleepwalk into the finals.

All of that is fair regarding the way they played ... against Notre Dame. This is also a team that didn't lose prior to that for pretty much the whole season. When considering the Fenway Game, I think it is fair to speculate that ND is just a bad matchup.

I will concede that some of the defensive lapses lately have been disconcerting, especially when Matheson decides he is Paul Coffey.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:27 pm

Mattheson is more Mike Green than Coffey--even the fucked up Coffey who single-handedly blew the 83 cup final and the 86 playoffs.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:17 am

I was originally going to go with Letang, who plays no defense as a defenseman, but he''s too good of a skater. Green works.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagletx on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:06 am

I want to believe that in "York we trust"....this team has some real holes (of late), not the least of which is Demko, and his really soft tending, as someone mentioned. (I wondered whether his late season slumping is in part due to his youth, and not ready for the full season grind. If so, maybe the layoff may help.) But couple that with the slow/or lazy/or confused defensive lapses and there is a real prescription for trouble.

So the premier coach in college hockey has to find the right combinations or light the right fires to get this team moving.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:23 am

I'm not sure it wasn't the layoff itself that was the problem. He seemed to lose his sharpness after that 2-week period between the ND regular season loss and the first playoff game debacle. He played okay in the second game win, but even there, that early quick goal was kind of a disaster.

So I agree he needs to tighten it up, I'm just not sure these absurd layoffs are going to help.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:14 am

Agreed Demko needs to play better (the softie in game 3 stands out) but the play around him needs to be much better. A couple of weeks ago after game 1 I went through the previous night's abortion goal by goal (I have a problem) and it was really a combo of defensive breakdowns (the 4 x 4 to end the 1st) and defense not clearing traffic out. But as referenced, he needs to play better.

One of the big concerns I have is the overreliance on the powerplay for offense of late. While the scoring output has remained pretty remarkably consistent month by month (about 4.3 goals per game, though it fell to 3.2 in Feb/March), the % of goals from the powerplay has sky rocketed, 9% of goals pre-Christmas came from powerplay, 33% after.

Now if the powerplay can remain scorching hot for 4 more games, 41% in February & March, awesome

Another problem is they've played 1 opponent in the last month who seems to have their number.

Lineup notes from the kid. Matt Gaudreau in, Danny Linell out. Silk will move up with Sit & Smith, Gaudreau slides in with Calnan & Gilmour.

Interesting, as I really liked how Silk/Calnan/Gilmour played against ND.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:14 am

johnny should listen to his mom:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/26/sport ... ticle&_r=0

B.U. or B.C.? Hockey Star Let Brother Pick

By PETER MAYMARCH 25, 2014

Behind Johnny Gaudreau (13), a 5-foot-8, 159-pound left wing who topped Division I with 30 goals this season, Boston College is an N.C.A.A. tournament favorite.CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. — The hockey rivalry between Boston College and Boston University has played out on many ice surfaces. Boston University has won more Beanpot championships. Boston College has had better luck lately in the N.C.A.A. tournament, winning four titles in the last 12 years.

But it was in a home in southern New Jersey three years ago that the rivalry took a decided turn in Boston College’s direction. Johnny Gaudreau and his younger brother Matthew sat in their Carneys Point home and debated the merits of both universities.

Johnny Gaudreau favored Boston College. Barely 5 feet 6 inches at that point, he liked that the Eagles sent small players like Brian Gionta and Nathan Gerbe to the N.H.L. He had been collecting B.C. apparel for years.

His brother, 15 months younger, favored the Terriers. He had been collecting B.U. apparel for years. The brothers were determined to go to college together, and Johnny Gaudreau decided to give Matthew the final say.

“They had narrowed it down to B.U. or B.C.,” said Jane Gaudreau, their mother. “John said: ‘I’ll let Matty pick. I’ll go with him.’ I know Matthew was leaning towards B.U., but he chose B.C.”

She added, “That’s how John ended up there, because Matthew picked it for him.”

Now Johnny Gaudreau, a left wing, is making his younger brother look prescient. Finishing his junior year, he is the overwhelming favorite for the Hobey Baker Award, given to college hockey’s top player.

Boston College spent much of the season ranked No. 1 and enters this week’s N.C.A.A. tournament as one of the favorites, despite having lost to Notre Dame in the Hockey East quarterfinals. Notre Dame is the only team the Eagles have lost to since Nov. 29.

Gaudreau, still diminutive at 5-8 and 159 pounds, is a big reason for the team’s success. He led Division I with 30 goals and failed to produce a point in only two games: Oct. 27 against Minnesota and March 16 against Notre Dame. He matched a Hockey East scoring streak set 21 years ago by Maine’s Paul Kariya with a point in 31 consecutive games, accumulating 61 points during the streak. He was the conference’s player of the month three times and became only the third player to win consecutive Hockey East player of the year awards.

“Believe me, I never saw any of this coming,” Gaudreau said this month. “I never expected to have the kind of season I’m having.”

He may be an army of one in that line of thinking. The former Northeastern assistant Albie O’Connell, who recruited Gaudreau, said: “He’s the best player in college hockey. He is steps ahead of everyone.”

Jim Montgomery, the Denver coach, who had Gaudreau on his United States Hockey League team in Dubuque, Iowa, compared Gaudreau to the Detroit Red Wings’ Pavel Datsyuk and the Chicago Blackhawks’ Patrick Kane.

“His creativity is off the charts,” Montgomery said. “He does things you don’t see anyone else doing, like Datsyuk. His footwork and handwork are extraordinary, and his puck protection is like Patrick Kane’s.”

As it happens, Gaudreau and Boston College will play Montgomery’s Denver team in the first round of the N.C.A.A. tournament Saturday. The Eagles won the national championship Gaudreau’s freshman year, when he was second on the team in points behind Chris Kreider, now with the Rangers. Last season, Gaudreau led the team in scoring with 21 goals and 30 assists, was a finalist for the Hobey Baker, and scored seven goals to lead the United States to a gold medal at the world junior championships.
“I’m just glad we have him, because he could have gone anywhere,” Boston College Coach Jerry York said.

Well before the Gaudreau brothers made their college decision, Johnny Gaudreau committed to Northeastern as a 15-year-old. He then missed two straight showcase tournaments for the top college prospects because he did not earn a spot on the southern New Jersey district team that traveled to those events.

He said he wondered at that point if he would play college hockey at all. He was convinced he was too small to play at a high level in college.

“Most of the top players are committing to colleges and playing in this tournament, and I couldn’t even make my district team,” he said. “I was too small. I didn’t even want to try out again when I was 18. But the coaches at Northeastern said I should.”

At that 2010 tournament, he had his coming-out party. York remembered seeing a pint-size whirling dervish and wondering: “Where did he come from? I had never seen him before.”

U.S. Hockey Report rated Gaudreau the No. 1 forward in the tournament, adding, “Gaudreau was the show here.” By that time, Gaudreau had made the decision to spend his senior year of high school playing for Dubuque of the U.S.H.L. He was named the league’s rookie of the year, and expected to head off to Northeastern.

But in June 2011, Northeastern Coach Greg Cronin left to join the Toronto Maple Leafs. His assistant, O’Connell, left to take a similar position at Harvard. Gaudreau asked Northeastern to release him from his letter of intent, and the university complied. In early August 2011, after a whirlwind recruiting visit to five New England universities, Gaudreau chose Boston College. Matthew Gaudreau joined him this year and appeared in six games as a freshman.

In the summer of 2011, the Calgary Flames drafted Johnny Gaudreau in the fourth round, with the 104th overall pick. He was stunned by the news. He had decided to skate with some friends at a local rink rather than watch the draft, convinced he would be drafted much later, if at all.

“I was ranked 204,” he said. “I didn’t want to watch the draft and then not get drafted.”

Gaudreau is now wrestling with what to do at the end of this season. He enjoys college life and playing with his brother, but has little left to accomplish at the collegiate level, especially if Boston College wins another national championship.

The Flames are telling Gaudreau to focus on the coming tournaments and then make the decision. Gaudreau’s mother would like to see her son finish college and graduate, and he said his mother usually prevailed in these kinds of things.

“I don’t think he gets it that when you go out there, it’s not going to be all fun anymore,” Jane Gaudreau said. “I don’t think he gets he may be taking the spot of someone who has a wife and three kids.”

She added: “As his mom, I’d like to see him take one more year to get a little bigger, a little stronger, and to enjoy his senior year. He’s never had a homecoming. He’s never had a prom. He missed his high school graduation. He said he’d have a graduation picture for me.

“Have your senior year. You will never get that back.”

If Matthew Gaudreau gets to decide again, he and his brother will return to Boston College. And if Jane Gaudreau was choosing, her sons would be Eagles for another year.

But neither one will probably get that chance. This time, Johnny Gaudreau is going to make the call himself.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:35 am

That was a terribly written piece.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:30 am

Is this tomorrow at 4 on the U?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:23 am

Yes, tournament starts today w some good games that might warrant 3rd tv status tonight

Union vs UVM at 2:00 - Union might have the best odds of making it to the FF, given their competition. Which probably means they'll get bounced
PC vs Quinnipiac at 5:30, given their goalie think PC can make the FF
NoDak vs Wisco at 8:00, given that they're not in the same conf any more can meet in 1st round. Think NoDak might pull off the upset.

Article on Johnny: http://bostonherald.com/sports/college/ ... s_academic

Article on Matheson: http://bostonherald.com/sports/college/ ... inds_place

Not to sound like Pierre but both the above and Teddy Doherty played for Jim Montgomery (now Denver's coach) when they were with Dubuque
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Return to Kelley Rink