BC vs ND

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: BC vs ND

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:34 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
h2o {l Wrote}:ualbany75k.

This would have been funny had I not gone to your alma mater for grad school.

but it is funny beacuse i think the $75k is a number you've thrown around as undergrad savings in the past

now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:43 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
h2o {l Wrote}:ualbany75k.

This would have been funny had I not gone to your alma mater for grad school.

but it is funny beacuse i think the $75k is a number you've thrown around as undergrad savings in the past

I haven't thrown that number around because it is not accurate. It is way too low.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:45 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:ND deserved to win this series. A combination of bad luck (BC hit 5 maybe 6 posts this series, none went in), miserable turnovers, & not as good goaltending will do that.

Several issues that some have hit on throughout the year manifested themselves.
1) The big line for all the flashy #s, killed the growth of Cangelosi & Fitz. Even though Brown has pumped in 14 goals this year (which is amazing considering where he came from), 7 have been from special teams. Cangelosi is going to put in 20-25 goals next year.
2) I hate to rag on kids and you won't find a bigger Quinn Smith fan than I but Linell-Sit-Smith have 1 goal in 2014. With them dressing every night on the highest scoring team in the country, that's nearly impossible. They were -3. -3, & -2 last night. Again I hit on it a couple of weeks ago when Matt Gaudreau got some run against UML, I was suprised how Jerry didn't shuffle the bottom of the lineup constantly throughout the season.

On the positive side, thought Canlan-Gilmor-Silk looked awesome last night. They had the right idea against ND, get the puck deep, use you size & skill to force turnovers. Trying to go fancy 1 on 4 in the neutral zone is death against this team. Thought Doherty looked very good on the blueline, especially in the 3rd period when we needed some offense.

Again another weekend off. Whatever the coaching staff did last weekend didn't work.

Hate to bitch about the refs but by calling nothing in an attempt to not have an impact on the game, you're having an impact on the game. The amount of holding and stick crap they allowed was atrocious. Now Johnny has a rep as going down easy but could've drawn at least 5 penalties yesterday.

Agree with Linnel, Sit, Smith. I think Smith should be out there due to his hustle, and there were times when I wished we had Linnel back on Defense in place of Matheson (eek), but overall that line is not doing much. Especially when they are the "stopper" line that goes out against the opponents best line. They make too many bad plays, like the goal at the end of the 2nd, to have that designation.

Scott Savage... I liked the kid in the beginning of the year but he's made some bad mental mistakes in big games this year. Hope he can learn from it because the potential is there.

I hated the way the game was officiated. I understand and expect the whistles to be swallowed in games like this because the 'let them play' mantra seems to be what HE refs take. But there has to be some consistency. Hayes got cross-checked in the back and sent head first into the boards in front of an official in the 2nd and there was no call. Through the regular season, that was a 5 and a toss, 10 times out of 10. Hell, we've seen less obvious hits near the boards garner a toss this year in the name of player safety. Allowing the clutching and grabbing is one thing, but if you're going to be maddening all year about these hits because of the safety aspect of the game, you can't stop calling them just because you "don't want officiating to decide the game." Pure BS. So you only care about player safety if its the regular season?

Anyhow, I'm not as over the cliff as some people. This isn't a buzz-saw BC team like 10 was, or even the team that gets hot at the right moment like 12. This is a team with some real strengths and weaknesses, and its going to come down to matchups for them. Sure ND and Minny aren't good match ups, but there's no guarantee we run into them again. A one and done tourney carries enough of an element of chaos that we've still got a shot I'd say.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:52 am

people are idiots if they go to bc (or other schools) and accumulate a shit ton of debt at the cost of going somewhere else for very cheap and doing very well.

id say "there, I said it"...but it should be pretty fucking obvious to people.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:58 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:people are idiots if they go to bc (or other schools) and accumulate a shit ton of debt at the cost of going somewhere else for very cheap and doing very well.

I agree if college is not the last educational stop on your resume. I did not perform the same cost benefit analysis for grad school. Had I not known that I was going to wring up additional grad school debt, choices may have been different.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:03 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:people are idiots if they go to bc (or other schools) and accumulate a shit ton of debt at the cost of going somewhere else for very cheap and doing very well.

I agree if college is not the last educational stop on your resume. I did not perform the same cost benefit analysis for grad school. Had I not known that I was going to wring up additional grad school debt, choices may have been different.

yes - key assumption I was making there without saying it.

this is under the guise that you want an advanced degree.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:38 am

or have your sights set on an h&r block career
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:51 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:or have your sights set on an h&r block career

I thought that the only requirement for an h&r block career was that you had to spend a weekend on the street in the Uncle Sam or Statue of Liberty costume. :shrug
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:56 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:

I thought that the only requirement for an h&r block career was that you had to spend a weekend on the street in the Uncle Sam or Statue of Liberty costume. :shrug

You also have to be able to do the moonwalk, the running man, and the sprinkler dance in said costume.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:04 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Agree with Linnel, Sit, Smith. I think Smith should be out there due to his hustle, and there were times when I wished we had Linnel back on Defense in place of Matheson (eek), but overall that line is not doing much. Especially when they are the "stopper" line that goes out against the opponents best line. They make too many bad plays, like the goal at the end of the 2nd, to have that designation.

Scott Savage... I liked the kid in the beginning of the year but he's made some bad mental mistakes in big games this year. Hope he can learn from it because the potential is there.

I hated the way the game was officiated. I understand and expect the whistles to be swallowed in games like this because the 'let them play' mantra seems to be what HE refs take. But there has to be some consistency. Hayes got cross-checked in the back and sent head first into the boards in front of an official in the 2nd and there was no call. Through the regular season, that was a 5 and a toss, 10 times out of 10. Hell, we've seen less obvious hits near the boards garner a toss this year in the name of player safety. Allowing the clutching and grabbing is one thing, but if you're going to be maddening all year about these hits because of the safety aspect of the game, you can't stop calling them just because you "don't want officiating to decide the game." Pure BS. So you only care about player safety if its the regular season?

Anyhow, I'm not as over the cliff as some people. This isn't a buzz-saw BC team like 10 was, or even the team that gets hot at the right moment like 12. This is a team with some real strengths and weaknesses, and its going to come down to matchups for them. Sure ND and Minny aren't good match ups, but there's no guarantee we run into them again. A one and done tourney carries enough of an element of chaos that we've still got a shot I'd say.

Agreed Savage has been up and down this year which isn't all that surprising considering he's an 18 year old defenseman. Don't think the pairing of him & Matheson is that smart though. Savage has a very good slapshot but it doesn't need to be a back scratcher every time (see: final minute of game 3). Maybe he can learn something from Tommy Cross who had a killer wrist shot.

Also agree on the officiating. I know swallowing the whistle but there was blatant shit that either took away a scoring chance that wasn't called (ex: Hayes breaking towards the net on a 2 on 1 where the ND defender was literally waterskiing with his stick in Hayes' gut), player safety questions (what you hit on above), or calls that aren't open to interpretation (when ND lined up with 6 skaters on the ice at a face off, won it, and had the 6th flying off).

Not as bad as what happened to NU yesterday, where a perfectly legal goal was waved off they end up losing by 1 and as a result there's a good chance their season is over.

Like you, I'm not over the cliff either. I think it just sucks cause we've been spoiled running to the garden for 10 years in a row but ran into arguably the 2nd best team in HE in the 1st round and didn't play well.

BC better get used to this style cause there's a damn good chance we're in a regional with UML or ND.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:13 pm

I actually think the Beanpot final was a good exhibit of how to 'let them play' but not officiate a poor game through ignoring blatant calls. There was good hard hitting (that the HE will sometimes call) and lots of action in the corners/after the whistle, but they let it go for the most part. Can't think of a really blatant miss in that game.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:21 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

You also have to be able to do the moonwalk, the running man, and the sprinkler dance in said costume.

my point was that a great dane degree would do just fine for those pursuing an enriching career with h&r block.

it appears you don't need a bc degree to work as a ladyboy loving government spy/ballwasher or floridian garden level office lawyer
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby The Knife of Asia on Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:46 pm

No call on blatant hit from behind on Hayes, goalie interference on brown for the puck hitting him in the chest and going in the net well before he was pushed into the goalie.

It was a perplexing game.
The Knife of Asia
McGuinn Hall

Previous

Return to Kelley Rink