Beanpot

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Beanpot

Postby claver2010 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:59 am

Agreed, it was simply a matter of time before Demko won the job.

McCoshen is officially out tonight, still no word as to what his injury officially is.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:59 pm

1-0 Eagles.....SICK pass by Hayes to start that scoring sequence
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:18 pm

Tight game with Northeastern having a slight edge through the 2nd period but with 5 minutes left in the game Brown made an absolutely incredible redirect as he lay on the ice to put BC up 2-0. The two garbage time goals are misleading as it was a tight game until Brown put them up for good. I love how this team gets on a roll as the season pushes on.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby wolverineneshl on Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:54 pm

It made the game 2-1 not 2-0. Great game by both teams.

UVM is next, it will be tough winning up there
wolverineneshl
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:08 am

What a game

All 3 games w NU this year have been very tight. After the 1st period, they did a great job shutting down the big line.

How impressive is Demko between the pipes? Youngest player in college hockey and consistently comes up huge (puns!), should've been MVP.

Savage had a rough one last night, odd because he's been consistent back there. Would be nice to have McCoshen healthy and get back to full strength.

Great crowd as well.

1 down. :chewbanka

also bu
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:10 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:How impressive is Demko between the pipes? Youngest player in college hockey and consistently comes up huge (puns!), should've been MVP.

I was actually pretty ticked he didn't get the MVP.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:20 am

BU won the Beanpot every year I was a student at BC. It's nice to see BC returning the favor for this generation of nerds.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:27 am

I'd be curious to see the breakdown in shots for the final 15 minutes. Seemed like the puck didn't leave the BC zone outside of a couple dump ins by Northeastern.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:35 am

#1 play on sportscenter
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:36 am

Whenever I watch BC hockey, I think that no matter what the spread is on shots or scoring chances as a stat, BC always looks like they are about to score in the other team's zone, and I only feel like that 4-5 times a game for the other team. Just feel like BC out-talents and out-quicks teams to much better scoring chances.

Thought the other goalie, Witt, had a hell of a game and kept NE in it early, allowing them a chance to swing momentum in the second. Felt like BC could have had 2 or 3 in the first otherwise. I believe that the garbage-time 4th goal with him in the net actually changed the outcome of the goalie award.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:41 pm

Patrick Brown's goal was #1 on ESPN's Top Plays of the Day.

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Whenever I watch BC hockey, I think that no matter what the spread is on shots or scoring chances as a stat, BC always looks like they are about to score in the other team's zone, and I only feel like that 4-5 times a game for the other team. Just feel like BC out-talents and out-quicks teams to much better scoring chances.

Thought the other goalie, Witt, had a hell of a game and kept NE in it early, allowing them a chance to swing momentum in the second. Felt like BC could have had 2 or 3 in the first otherwise. I believe that the garbage-time 4th goal with him in the net actually changed the outcome of the goalie award.

I think that is a pretty accurate point. Over the past decade and a half, when the game matters (championships of Beanpot and Hockey East or the Frozen Four)... there has been only one formula I can recall that is consistant through BC's big game losses:
1. Goalie stands on his head (which then results in skaters pressing).
2. BC plays tight when tied late.

That's it. I can't recall a big game BC loss that didn't have the opposing goalie playing the game of his life (think QBs vs. Don Brown's 2013 Defense).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:56 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:...(think QBs vs. Don Brown's 2013 Defense).

angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:25 pm

Not sure how my hockey comment became the impetus for HJS' Don Brown agenda redux, but my apologies.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:39 pm

Not to mention it doesn't make sense
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:44 pm

IMO this tournament changed when Gerbe beat BU in OT back in 2008.

I don't have the history with this tournament that some others have, but some numbers:
Beanpots:
Before: 14
After: 5

vs BU:
Before: 10-29
After: 5-0

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Whenever I watch BC hockey, I think that no matter what the spread is on shots or scoring chances as a stat, BC always looks like they are about to score in the other team's zone, and I only feel like that 4-5 times a game for the other team. Just feel like BC out-talents and out-quicks teams to much better scoring chances.

Agreed, but this especially plays itself out in big games and late in games. The depth & the program just wears teams down. Shit just look at the captain, only played in essentially 50% of the games and had 2 points his first two years on campus. You have very talented playes on all 4 lines who buy into their roles. Ex: Gilmour & Calnan could get top 6 minutes anywhere in HE, instead they are a very very effective 4th line.

The constant pedal to the metal combined with consistent offensive talent coming over the boards is usually too much for teams to handle over 60 minutes. Sure they can lose games, hell last night was tied w 6 min to go but over the long run, it's tough to top.

Correct on the final goal.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:29 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Not sure how my hockey comment became the impetus for HJS' Don Brown agenda redux, but my apologies.

It was a joke. But, I see hockey weirdos take message boarding as serious as their hoop weirdo counterparts.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:06 pm

With 6 freshman skaters and a freshman goalie, this was the year that BC could be upset. It was really defense that won the game for BC, especially after the first period holding NU to 14 shots after giving up 16 in the first period. Not getting a single pp and killing off 3 NU pp was impressive for the youngest team in the country. Besides the mistake made Savage, BC could have shut out NU.

Last night did prove that BC needs to get a 2nd scoring line going. I would like to see Gilmour with Fitz and Cangelosi.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Previous

Return to Kelley Rink