No Mass Kids on USA Olympic Team

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

No Mass Kids on USA Olympic Team

Postby QuailMan on Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:38 pm

Whats the deal with Mass hockey? I think the closet to making the team was the goalie Schenider
QuailMan
Carney Hall

Re: No Mass Kids on USA Olympic Team

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:49 pm

Keith Yandle. I don't really have an answer to the other question. Perhaps increased athletic specialization but that's a half-assed and non-thought out answer. There's just not a lot of high-end talent there outside a couple of guys. http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/us-state/active-nhl-players-born-in-massachusetts-career-stats.html
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:14 pm

Part of the reason is that they took the 9th or 10th best player on the Rangers (Stepan) instead of the 2nd best player (Kreider). The fact that Kreider skates faster than Stepan, covers exponentially more ice and has played with a nasty edge while staying on the right side of that edge (with the exception of his 17 pms and ejection the other night) makes it that much more unfathomable. Unfortunately, USA Hockey decided who was going to be considered a year ago and didn't care much about what actually happened on the ice this year.

Anyway, because this Olympics is not being played in North America, I expect Team USA to fail spectacularly like they did in Turin and Nagano.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby QuailMan on Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:47 am

I expected Minnesota, Michigan and New York to be represented with a lot of players but Connecticut has representation and not Mass...
QuailMan
Carney Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:01 pm

It's probably because Toughchester has lost its edge.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:24 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Part of the reason is that they took the 9th or 10th best player on the Rangers (Stepan) instead of the 2nd best player (Kreider). The fact that Kreider skates faster than Stepan, covers exponentially more ice and has played with a nasty edge while staying on the right side of that edge (with the exception of his 17 pms and ejection the other night) makes it that much more unfathomable. Unfortunately, USA Hockey decided who was going to be considered a year ago and didn't care much about what actually happened on the ice this year.

Anyway, because this Olympics is not being played in North America, I expect Team USA to fail spectacularly like they did in Turin and Nagano.

Don't think Kreider crossed the line, just a big guy hitting someone in an awkward spot.

I agree, I don't see the US doing well this year either.

Edited type faster than i think
Last edited by claver2010 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby QuailMan on Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:16 pm

CM playing Delbarton of New Jersey in Yankee stadium

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/high-sch ... ee-stadium

Cm better win
QuailMan
Carney Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:55 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Part of the reason is that they took the 9th or 10th best player on the Rangers (Stepan) instead of the 2nd best player (Kreider). The fact that Kreider skates faster than Stepan, covers exponentially more ice and has played with a nasty edge while staying on the right side of that edge (with the exception of his 17 pms and ejection the other night) makes it that much more unfathomable. Unfortunately, USA Hockey decided who was going to be considered a year ago and didn't care much about what actually happened on the ice this year.

Well the decision wasn't Kreider vs. Stepan. It was more likely Stepan vs. Saad vs. Dubinsky and maybe Okposo, though he's a different player than the other ones. Kreider will have his chance come 2018 but he is way too green at this point.

That said, I expect failure as well. Not enough scoring, not enough depth on D.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:17 pm

I think they will score but the D sucks other than the goalies.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:33 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

Well the decision wasn't Kreider vs. Stepan. It was more likely Stepan vs. Saad vs. Dubinsky and maybe Okposo, though he's a different player than the other ones. Kreider will have his chance come 2018 but he is way too green at this point.

That said, I expect failure as well. Not enough scoring, not enough depth on D.

I don't disagree that Kreider's green, but check out the scouting report on Stepan and the "strengths" he allegedly brings to the table and there is not a single thing he does better than Kreider. Not one. Up until six weeks ago you might have been able to say that he was more defensibly responsible than Krieder, but that has flown by the wayside. Hell, the last minute of last night's surprising road win over the Blackhawks nearly turned into a tragedy for the Rangers because Stepan was running around up top futilely chasing the puck (but not making any attempt to block a shot) while the Rangers were getting crushed down low only getting bailed out of giving up the tying goal by Brian Boyle's face (blocking a deflection) and ability to push Toewes out of position Callahan's quick poke check to break up the last second attempt to feed a wide open Kane.

I would have taken Dubinsky over Saad, but would not have been upset one way or the other.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Return to Kelley Rink