Alums Doing Well

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Alums Doing Well

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:58 am

DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:08 am

Patrick Wey notched his first NHL point last night against the Jets.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:06 am

Paul Carey called up by the Avs today, making it 12 (if my math is correct) players from the 2010 championship team
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCMurt09 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:21 pm

Saw that it was not yet noted here that in the Rangers 3-0 win over the Red Wings on Sunday all goals were scored by Eagles. 1 by Boyle and 2 by Kreider.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:06 am

Gibbons got 2 in the 1st period (1 a SHG) on Saturday but got hurt and didn't return. Atkinson assisted on the GWG.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:46 pm

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:13 pm

What is Kreider's status?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:35 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:What is Kreider's status?

before the playoffs started reports were that if the philly series went deep he might have a shot, i think he's still several weeks away. he's not even practicing or holding a stick with the hand he had surgery on (as of last i heard).
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri May 02, 2014 9:29 am

Kreider is practicing with the Rangers, but he has been wearing some sort of strange contraption on his hand instead of a hockey glove and he is wearing the no-contact sweater. From what I am told the earliest return would be for Game 4 of the Pens series.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Bumpers on Tue May 06, 2014 3:46 pm

Ben Smith moved up to center 2nd line between Kane and Sharp for the Hawks. Pretty big move for the kid, he's been playing like a real bulldog with fearless net presence of late. Good for him.
Bumpers
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri May 09, 2014 9:16 pm

Gaudreau doing gaudreau things

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sat May 10, 2014 7:24 am

Kreider with a strong game last night, scoring the Rangers first goal and generally abusing Pittsburgh's defense--he was particularly unkind to Letang who was dismayed to find that Kreider was about two steps faster then him. I was shocked the Rangers didn't lie down and die last night.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat May 10, 2014 2:23 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Kreider with a strong game last night, scoring the Rangers first goal and generally abusing Pittsburgh's defense--he was particularly unkind to Letang who was dismayed to find that Kreider was about two steps faster then him. I was shocked the Rangers didn't lie down and die last night.

Letang and defense in the same sentence makes me pee myself laughing.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Sat May 10, 2014 6:25 pm

letang is drew doughty 0.0000001

was also shocked the rangers didn't mail it in
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sat May 10, 2014 10:26 pm

Oh come on. Letang's play was a stroke of genius this year.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun May 11, 2014 8:14 pm

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon May 12, 2014 9:05 am

It is clear from last night that the Pens have no answer for Kreider. Aside from the goal he was screwed out of, the dynamic of the series changed entirely the minute he got his legs under him--which took all of one game. I almost feel sorry for Letang when Kreider comes roaring down on him, all he really has is to commit a penalty and hope the God awful officiating of the league will bail him out by ignoring his own malfeasance and calling Kreider for a bullshit call.

With that said, I still think the Rangers will find a way to lose Game 7 because they are the Rangers.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon May 12, 2014 10:37 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:It is clear from last night that the Pens have no answer for Kreider. Aside from the goal he was screwed out of, the dynamic of the series changed entirely the minute he got his legs under him--which took all of one game. I almost feel sorry for Letang when Kreider comes roaring down on him, all he really has is to commit a penalty and hope the God awful officiating of the league will bail him out by ignoring his own malfeasance and calling Kreider for a bullshit call.

With that said, I still think the Rangers will find a way to lose Game 7 because they are the Rangers.

if the rangers didn't have what 7 games in 11 days or whatever it was, this series would be over
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bcmurph on Tue May 13, 2014 7:13 pm

Brian Boyle trending on twitter...
"Stay with this young team - there are great days ahead." Coach Donahue tweet 2/19/2012 -
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed May 14, 2014 9:26 am

I thoroughly enjoyed that game last night.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Fri May 16, 2014 9:08 am

Q&A w Kreider in the post

talks of BC & Kelly

http://nypost.com/2014/05/15/serbys-qa- ... s-kreider/

Before the Rangers begin their conference finals series against the Canadiens on Saturday, forward Chris Kreider skated through some Q&A with Post columnist Steve Serby.

Q: What do you like best about this team?
A: I think how everyone gets along so well. I love every single guy on this team. A lot of times you hear horror stories about the NHL — and about it becoming a job and how 23 guys show up at the rink, 23 different taxis type of thing — but it’s unbelievable how close-knit this group is, and just incredibly cohesive.

Q: Why do you think this is an easy team for New York to root for?
A: I think, from the little experience I’ve had in New York, is the fans value hard work. They can see that. For some people (chuckle), if they’re smooth, or it kind of comes kind of more easily … [I] feel like they love the guys who look like they’re working their ass off. Usually those guys are, but they can see that. I think this group works so much harder than anyone will ever know, but I think it’s very easy to see that on the ice, especially our leaders.

Q: How hungry is this team to win the Cup?
A: We’re focused on the next game, so I think right now we’re as hungry as any team’s ever been to win that game Saturday.

Q: Tell me about your boyhood dream about holding the Cup.
A: I didn’t have a ton of posters on my wall, but I had a Stanley Cup poster up on my wall. You grew up watching the Bruins kind of edge their way into the playoffs, and always bowed a little early, and then see Ray Bourque get traded to Colorado and watch him hoist it, just the emotions that are associated with that, how he can appreciate it as much as he did because of trials he went through in the course of a long career, a long successful career. It’s every kid’s dream. … Team trophies are so much fun, man, that’s a huge part of why I went to Boston College, too — an opportunity to win trophies. It is so much fun when you’re winning as a team.

Q: You were 3 when Mark Messier hoisted the Cup. What do you think when you watch the videos?
A: Goosebumps. I don’t think much, I just think, “I want to do that. That looks unbelievable.”

Q: You met Messier, right?
A: He actually came and talked to our team once at Boston College. He was one of my favorites for multiple reasons, but one thing that kind of stuck with me. He said, “I know a lot of guys that won a lot on good teams that I wouldn’t consider winners, and I know a lot of guys who never won a thing in their entire career that I would consider winners.” That kind of stuck with me, just kind of how you address your profession on a daily basis.

Q: How would you describe your on-ice mentality?
A: Lately? A little angry (laugh).

Q: Why is that?
A: I don’t know … I just … there’s not a lot of space out there, I think you learn that pretty quickly at this level. It’s something I wish I had learned earlier, even in college. So you need to do whatever you can to earn that space. The other team wants to play with the puck as much as you … I want that space, I want the puck (laugh), like I want our team to be in control. I’m not very happy when we’re not.

Q: So your Easy Kreider nickname would not apply on the ice?
A: (Laugh) Easy Kreider … I don’t think there’s anything easy about the way I play (laugh).

Q: What do you think of that nickname?
A: Easy Kreider? I don’t think it applies (chuckle). I think I used to be a smooth skater, I think I look pretty choppy now.

Q: What drives you?
A: Playing on a team like this, in particular, and playing for the guys in the room … playing for my family members — I know how much they love seeing me play, enjoy coming to the games and enjoy being a part of it … playing for friends, playing for family, playing for teammates.

Q: Do you think you’re an intimidator on the ice?
A: No. You’ve seen my facial hair? (Laugh) I don’t think there’s anything intimidating about this.

Q: Describe Martin St. Louis.
A: Intense, competitive, just a role model, kind of in every facet of his life … Gym rat, right? At the end of the day, he’s kind of the consummate professional, consummate team guy, consummate family guy.

Q: Henrik Lundqvist.
A: Regal (chuckle) … His intensity’s right up there with Marty’s and his competitive edge … I’d say extremely focused and probably the strongest athlete I’ve ever been around mentally.

Q: What kind of a lift is it knowing he’s your goalie?
A: I think if you ask anyone when you’re playing in front of a goalie who’s that capable, you’re not afraid to make mistakes, which kind of helps you avoid making mistakes, right? And if you’re making mistakes, you’re making them fast, and you’re making them trying to do something knowing that he’ll come up with that big stop, so it’s an incredible boost. I’ve been lucky, I haven’t had to play in front of other goalies (chuckle), but I think we’re incredibly spoiled.

Q: Brad Richards.
A: Another guy who’s an unbelievable teammate, and really good locker-room guy. A guy that I’ve probably learned the most from, just in terms of how to conduct yourself off the ice. The way he plays, just how he sees things. He’s so good at finding space and kind of exploiting that.

Q: Two years ago when you were called up, what was that like?
A: It was kind of a whirlwind. I laugh about that first game that I played because I thought I had to come out and sprint for the entire game, and I was throwing up in the locker room (laugh) between periods, I was exhausted. It was so much fun, there were no expectations, you can play really loose, you just shut the brain off, you go play, it was an awesome experience. Probably didn’t realize what a great opportunity it was at the time, going all the way to the Eastern Conference finals. Hopefully I appreciate it a little more this time around.

Q: How are you a different player now?
A: Bigger, stronger, faster, meaner (smile).

Q: Brian Boyle.
A: He’s a guy who’s kind of taken me under his wing too. Brian being a Boston guy, is kind of easy for me to talk to. He obviously went to Boston College, know a lot of the same people. Kind of like a big brother, I guess — a big, big brother (laugh).

Q: Anybody else you want to mention?
A: Every one of them, is that OK?

Q: Perfect answer, this way I don’t have to go one by one, OK?
A: Zucc [Mats Zuccarello] is one of the funniest guys I’ve ever played with. Awesome locker-room guy, everyone loves him, and plays like a bulldog on the ice, plays like he’s 6-5. He has such a chip on his shoulder, he’s fun to play with ’cause he’s always stirring stuff up. Unbelievable skill level.

Bras [Derick Brassard], such a good guy and such a good heart. He cares so much and you can see that, he kind of wears his heart on his sleeve, just so high-motor, always working hard, so high-skilled and another guy that’s just incredibly friendly, incredibly easy to get along with.

Benoit Pouliot, another guy who’s incredibly skilled. I think we’re lucky, we have a very, very skilled team. We kind of laugh about how athletic he is and how easily he can do things at times.

John Moore, unbelievable hockey player and has unbelievable potential and has played so well this year, but also just an awesome guy and really, really good friend of mine.

Then, Ryan McDonagh … (chuckle). You don’t have to say anything about Ryan’s game, he’s one of the best defensemen in the league and probably the world, and so level-headed and so down-to-earth. The first couple of days I got here, guys were joking about he doesn’t know how good he actually is. He may, and he’s just incredibly level-headed and he has everything in perspective and extremely humble.

Derek Stepan’s another guy I’ve been lucky enough to play with. Just kind of wise beyond his years. He’s the oldest young guy in the league, guys say (smile), and just sees the ice so well, so easy to play with, so easy to communicate with, and so easy to talk to off the ice if I ever have any issues at all. He’s got a real good pulse [of] what’s going on in the room and going on with guys. Another guy I thought pulled me under his wing when I got here to New York. It felt like every day I was spending time with a different guy, and they were reaching out and being friendly and showing me the ropes.

Mark Staal, an awesome locker-room guy, kind of a goofball, but on the ice just flips that switch, and you can just see how good he is on a nightly basis playing against another team’s top line and top competition. Just a really lighthearted, great guy, but helluva hockey player (chuckle). I’m glad I don’t have to play against him.

Same goes for Dan Girardi, who’s another lighthearted guy and can joke, but can throw the switch. I’m just so happy I don’t have to play against him. How he blocks shots, it’s amazing to me. … So many guys with such big hearts, I think that’s why this team’s so easy to root for.

Anton Stralman’s probably one of the more soft-spoken guys on the team, another guy who’s so friendly, so outgoing, so easy to talk to, and so high-skilled, and so sneaky fast on the ice, too. He just flies, just separated himself all the time.

Kevin Klein, just kind of getting to know, but another friendly, outgoing guy, very lighthearted, he’ll give you a hard time, but it’s all in good fun. Really good soccer player.

Then Dominic Moore is a guy who went to Harvard. Obviously a very smart, very well-educated guy, but very down-to-earth guy I’ve gotten to know very well as well, gone to dinner with a lot. He’s kind of showed me a few things away from the rink that I kind of didn’t contemplate, didn’t consider. Another guy, consummate professional. You’re not going to find anyone on this team that doesn’t worry about things that are going to make them a better hockey player.

Derek Dorsett, really excited to go to his wedding this summer. A guy who plays with so much heart. Same with Danny Carcillo … I wouldn’t want to play against those guys at all.

Carl Hagelin, the guys closer to your own age you see a little bit more of. He’s just another awesome guy and a really close friend and obviously an unbelievable hockey player. I feel like I’ve said that about every single guy, but that’s how I feel, just very lucky and blessed to be a part of this team and play with everyone.

And last but definitely not least, is Rick [Nash], who is probably the most skilled player I’ve ever played with. I think he’s worked for every single skill set he has, which is awesome to see because he does work so so hard, and I think people need to appreciate that more. He’s a tireless worker. He’s so easy to talk to, and he’s so easy to play with. He’s kind of introverted, but so humble and down-to-earth for as talented and as skilled and as successful as he’s been.

And I don’t want to talk about Cam Talbot, he’s the only guy I don’t like (smile). I’m kidding. I love Cam. Cam’s my own age. Cam I probably know better than most of the guys ’cause we spent a little time in Hartford together. Another guy who works so hard.

Q: Coach Alain Vigneault.
A: He’s incredibly level-headed, poised, and he’s obviously been around the game such a long time, so he knows it so well.

Q: John Tortorella.
A: He was awesome, AV’s awesome, really only have positive things to say about my pro experience so far.

Q: Boston College coach Jerry York.
A: Legend. Wouldn’t be where I am without him.

Q: Frozen Four memory?
A: Junior year, rattling off 19 wins to win the whole thing was really cool.

Q: Favorite players growing up?
A: Ray Bourque, Bill Guerin, Joe Thornton … Marty St. Louis (chuckle).

Q: Three dinner guests?
A: I’m just going to go with people that I knew that passed away — get an opportunity to talk to me one more time. Can I get four?

Q: Sure.
A: Grandmother, grandfather, uncle and close friend of mine, Richard Kelley. He had ALS, he passed away recently [February].

Q: Who was he?
A: Mentor at B.C.

Q: Why did his death affect you?
A: I was happy with my decision to go to Boston College, just everything I learned from him, everything I took from him … We don’t have enough time.

Q: Mentor as far as what?
A: I was having a tough time when I first got there. I skipped my senior year to go to B.C. I was just kind of getting acclimated to the college environment, it was a lot different. And he just kind of randomly called me into his office just to talk and … kind of life-changing. That one discussion I guess we had in particular, and then I’d go to his office a few times a week and just talk. Just a really, really good friend of mine.

Q: What did he tell you that made it life-changing?
A: I had such a level of comfort at my high school. I was having a little trouble in a lot of different areas, and he just had so many positive things to say, just kind of actively going out of his way, not really knowing me, no one asking him to talk to me, but him just kind of noticing that like, “This kid doesn’t look incredibly happy. He looks a little upset.” Just genuinely wanted to talk to me, get to know me … Probably the kindest thing anyone’s ever done for me.

Q: You were having trouble in a lot of different areas — could you elaborate on that?
A: It’s a hard transition going from high school hockey to Division I hockey (smile). In my high school, everyone’s playing a sport every season, and it’s not so all-consuming where you can make friends outside of your athletics of that season. I went to B.C. hoping I can take this class, this class, this class … I wasn’t allowed to take those ’cause they didn’t offer ’em then — they got canceled, practice conflicted — so I was pretty upset with my scheduling. I was pretty upset with my inability to meet people outside … It became a job very quickly, which I love now … I think my high school set an impossibly high standard. I had a really, really positive high school experience. The minute I faced a little bit of adversity, I cowered. Now I kind of love it, revel in it, and I think it’s because of that guy.

Q: So sum up what his advice to you was in your life-changing discussion.
A: You can take a lot from the Boston College experience, and there’s a lot to offer to you. But there’s a lot you can bring, a lot you have to offer. He was very positive. We talked about the kind of person that I was beyond being a hockey player, and that’s something that was never really echoed before … That was something, like my mom said, her saying like, “Oh, you’re so much more than a hockey player,” like practically in tears, and here was a guy telling me basically the same thing. It was like, “Wow, this guy really genuinely cares about me.”

Q: And it boosted your self-esteem too, right?
A: Oh yeah, yeah. Barely knew the guy at the time, and practically burst out into tears in his office, and left there in a completely different mindset.

Q: Hobbies?
A: Reading, playing the guitar, pretty much anything music-related. I really like music. Any sports, outside of golf.

Q: Favorite NYC things?
A: I like the subway. I like being able to get to and from the games.

Q: Are you recognized?
A: Never. It’s such a big city, it’s beautiful. No, the time you’re recognized is like if you’re hurt or healthy scratched, and you jump into the subway right before the game because that’s when everyone else who’s going to the game is going and those are the people that recognize you.

Q: Describe your hometown, Boxford, Mass.
A: My dad will tell you that the town bird is the mosquito, and the town flower is poison ivy. It’s tucked in the woods. It’s only like a half-hour outside of Boston, but it’s very tucked away.

Q: Favorite movies?
A: “Toy Story 3,” “Mud,” “Sandlot.”… I like all movies, I’m easy.

Q: Favorite actor?
A: Tom Hardy.

Q: Favorite meal?
A: Anything. I’m a garbage disposal, I’ll eat anything.

Q: Describe Rangers fans.
A: They hold people accountable. Sometimes it can be a little hard in terms of their expectations. They want results, they want it now. There are times when you’re getting booed off the ice where you’re kind of frustrated … I think everything they do honestly is a positive. They boo you, you work harder, they cheer for you, you work even harder. I love the fan base here.

Q: What would you hope Rangers fans say about you?
A: One thing that Wayne Gretzky would say is that, I hope no one could ever say that I dogged it. The cameras were always on for him, right? Every day at practice, like he could never have an off day. There’s no comparison being made (laugh), the cameras are not on every day for me or anyone in the league right now except maybe a couple of superstars, right? But I want them to say that he gave 110 percent every single time he was on the ice. Worked his ass off. Did all he could.

Q: Message to Rangers fans?
A: How much of an impression they can have on the game. They really are the Seventh Man.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri May 16, 2014 9:49 am

Good read.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri May 16, 2014 11:25 am

It's a good read because the illiterate Serby was limited to asking questions.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Fri May 16, 2014 11:49 am

agreed, serby is brutal
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Logitano on Fri May 16, 2014 8:15 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:agreed, serby is brutal

This. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat May 17, 2014 2:50 pm

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BC96 on Sat May 17, 2014 7:14 pm

He ice skates good.
BC96
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun May 18, 2014 5:28 am

Go Rangers.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue May 20, 2014 8:17 am

Gaudreau doing more Gaudreau things this morning:

2nd leading scorer in the tournament after this morning's 4 point performance
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali