NU Weekend

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

NU Weekend

Postby claver2010 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:22 am

Northeastern is off to their best start in 5 years at 5-1-0. Granted, they've played 4 shit teams (2 v alabama huntsville & a h/h with holy cross) but after winning only 9 games last year it's an improvement.

Former BC committ Cody Ferriero is suspended for the series after a 2 handed slash to the head/neck on a St. Lawrence player when the game was nearly over.

No word on the goalie situation, I assume they'll split again.

NU has a free HD stream which is awesome, I'll post the link here come Saturday night.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Re: NU Weekend

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:30 am

Anyone want tickets for Matthews Saturday? Can't use the ones I bought.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:08 pm

Still got them?
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:40 pm

BostonCollege1 {l Wrote}:Still got them?

Hey. Sorry, I pawned them off on a friend.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:51 am

Straight and Sit aren't playing tonight. Spiro is in. Any idea why they sat those two down? Just trying people out? Or something else.

I would've thought Sit's recent discovery of the back of the net would keep him in
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:24 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Straight and Sit aren't playing tonight. Spiro is in. Any idea why they sat those two down? Just trying people out? Or something else.

I would've thought Sit's recent discovery of the back of the net would keep him in

Need to constantly cycle players in. IMO there isn't a huge difference between those competing for the 4th line minutes.

Still no Doherty, odd...

Edit: Looks like Straight & Silk are out, not Sit.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BostonCollege1 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:33 pm

Fun game to watch, despite the TV timeouts... Seemed like those were shorter than prior years, though.

Northeastern is better than last year - their D is much better, but still not able to contain BC enough tonight. Seemed like we gave Roy very little room. Should be an interesting game tomorrow.

I watched Linnell quite a bit. It's not that he's a bad player; I actually like him as a 3rd/4th line forward, he's just not a defenseman. Too small to handle big forwards, and doesn't skate backwards well enough to keep up with quick ones - he's easily beaten to the edge, and can't contain along the boards. Just don't get this one.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:32 pm

Here's the link for tonight's game, free HD stream

http://client.stretchinternet.com/clien ... ype=video#
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby shockdoct on Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:38 pm

Bates has been everywhere this weekend.

Showed up at Matthews tonight.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:25 pm

Gilmour wins it in OT, nice sweep of a weekend

Bates goes to more hockey games in a weekend than :pickle did in a yeaer
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby shockdoct on Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:03 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Gilmour wins it in OT, nice sweep of a weekend

Bates goes to more hockey games in a weekend than :pickle did in a yeaer

Bates was still there to watch gilmour put in the rebound.

BC played really well in the first period tonight, but got very sloppy in the second and third. They were bailed out with Johnny's goal from behind the net.

One thing that my group noticed this weekend is Johnny's seeming disregard of back checking. I hope that comes to an end as it can be a little contagious if your star player is not playing on both ends of the ice.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:19 pm

I've noticed that a lot this season. They have sprung him for a ton of breakaways during the first 7 games but agreed it's a concern.

4 SHGs in 7 games after only 1 all of last season

Santini +3 tonight, up to +12 on the season. Very impressive.

With only 20 HE games this season, every one is huge
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BostonCollege1 on Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:25 am

Noticed that about Johnny. My bigger concern is that some of our offensively talented d-men are forgetting that they need to play defense first, then worry about their offense. We also take some stupid penalties still. Luckily, our offense is fantastic.

Johnny's goal was incredible. At least NU puts most BC seats near where BC scores twice. Tough to see the other end if you're down low. Was NU's first goal a tough shot? From my angle, seemed that Billett didn't play it well.

NU students were really loud - more of them then I've ever seen there. Makes for a great environment.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby wolverineneshl on Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:46 pm

Trolls gonna troll. NU posters - take a deep breath and reset for next weekend; don't let these guys get under your skin.

PP needs a lot of work - it was fine for the first few cupcake games but giving up shorthanded opportunities isn't going to cut it in conference play. I personally hate going with 5 o-men. Shots on goal need to be a priority. If you look at the game sheets one big difference that stands out is exactly that. Out-shot in every game since HC. IMO things were clicking because the team was peppering the net at every given opportunity. "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" and you sure as hell don't score any goals. I realize that we're playing better quality teams, but shots are shots. The defense is what it is - inexperienced, slow and not deep at all. This is something the coaches need to address in the near future and adapt to. OTOH, one big positive that I've seen so far is the play of Witt. The kid's been great, keeping us in both games over the weekend. He's clearly making more important saves than giving up bad goals. Who thought Goo-dro was going to stuff that one short-side instead of going around the net? Not me. This isn't an 11th place team and it's sure as hell not a top 4 team. Hopefully the issues are addressed and worked on, everybody stays healthy and we see some in-conference wins. Regardless of how the team does, Northeastern still has the greatest fans and arena in the world - 2 things that bc will never have.

We don't have good fans ??? Greatest Arena ??? Sure the the 1st row on the balcony is great but after that you can't see the whole ice. Does greatest fans also mean bullying other fans from another team too ? LOL

I'd rather take Conte over Mathews any day with better sight lines and better parking. When BC was in Wisconsin for the FF against the Badgers, I drove all the way there and back by myself. We have lots of great fans and more, 5 NCAAs and more Beanpots, NCAA appearances, etc.
wolverineneshl
McGuinn Hall

Postby shockdoct on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:53 am

Some thoughts as these were the first two games I have seen in person this year.

While I missed the first 2 periods due to complete gridlock in the city on Friday, the team played very sloppy in the third. Complete lack of a breakout, poor timing with each other, etc. They came out firing on all cylinders in the first period on Saturday (shots were something like 11 - 0 at one point). The NU goalie really kept the game close. We then reverted back to what we looked like on Friday for the next period and a half until finally turning it on in the second half of the third period (first 10 min of the 3rd period was a mess with all the penalties)

Kevin Roy didn't look like the same player that played in the beanpot last year.

While the Calnan hit was right in front of the BC section, I had turned away (and they didn't replay it). Was it an elbow to the head? The NU kid clearly was knocked unconscious as he was prone on the ice for a good 3-5 seconds after the hit.
Will he be out automatically for the Friday game after getting the gate on Saturday?

One guy that really has polished his game finally is Hayes. For the first time I have noticed, he is comfortable and confident when in possession of the puck.

Ryan Fitzgerald was very impressive. He just has great instincts and does not look like a freshman at all. I am very excited to see what he will do over the next few years.

While both goalies struggle with consistently controlling rebounds, Billet just looked unsure at times. He is either pressing because he has a 17 yr old battling for time or is just not comfortable yet from barely playing the last few years.

While the freshman defensemen definitely need some experience in defending their own end, they are light years better than the crop that played last year.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:31 pm

shockdoct {l Wrote}:One guy that really has polished his game finally is Hayes. For the first time I have noticed, he is comfortable and confident when in possession of the puck.

This has been great to see. Could finally be that breakout year that we've been waiting for. I think in the weekend recap somewhere, Hayes said that York has been trying to get him to be less of a finesse player and crash the net more. Still, his instincts and vision have made for some great set ups on breakaways
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Return to Kelley Rink