NCAA Tourney

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: NCAA Tourney

Postby claver2010 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:38 pm

That was absolutely hilarious

Most talented team this year no question about it

Meanwhile, UML is completely dismantling Wisconsin, rough day for B1G hockey
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:55 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:That was absolutely hilarious

Most talented team this year no question about it

Meanwhile, UML is completely dismantling Wisconsin, rough day for B1G hockey

Especially funny after seeing that video that is going around...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flpVa3a2fhQ

Edit: My bad. Not sure how I missed this being posted earlier. I saw that Salzano posted it, but I thought a Gopher fan actually created it.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:20 am

captain jerry behind the bench tonight

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby gallopingghost on Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:35 am

I can't believe the WCHA got 6 teams in the tournement. Min, Wisconsin and Denver all got booted, and badly. It looks like an all Hockey East regional final with UMass Lowell against UNH.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:46 pm

Yale first trip to FF, beat NoDak 4-1 w 4 in teh 3rd
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:28 pm

For tonight:

Jeke is back in (though he won't play much), not sure why he hasn't been of late
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:40 pm

This is about as awful as you can play
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:55 pm

this team just isnt very good. this was a long time coming. by my count, exactly 3 players who werent on the 2010 national championship team (ie the freshman, sophomore and junior classes currently) would have made that team. thats a serious talent problem.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:40 pm

Well that was fun.

Hope the incoming class is as good as advertised.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:08 am

Have time for a full post mordem later but CAG hit the nail on the head

Here's the 3rd line from the last game of the past couple of seasons

09-10: Kreider-Smith-Hayes
10-11: Almeida-Arnold-Whitney
11-12: Gaudreau-Mullane-Carey

With this D we knew they had the chance to get bent over, shit you saw it in the last 10 minutes of the 2nd vs. BU

The only good thing is the only jersey change a non-senior on this team will have will be from a jersey to a suit.

Good thing Jerry has his best recruiting class at BC coming in next year as the only players who I'd be shocked if they're not playing on opening night are: 12, 13, 24, 27, 5 & I guess 7 since he's a senior. Going to be nice to have some competition for minutes.

Hey it's on odd year anyways

Just saw this:
RT @GeorgeRichards #FlaPanthers GM Dale Tallon hints to ST holders Bjugstad (UMinn) and Matheson (BC) could be here in final month
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BostonCollege1 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:22 am

The only reason this team is disappointing is the fast start they had... The lack of talent and lack of development really showed. Lots of 4th line players all over the roster.

Milner came off the high of last year's run and returned to his mean (3rd goal last night was horrible).

Some young D-men didn't improve as much as others have in the past; I thought Jeke got a lot better, not sure why he wasn't playing much at the end - injured? Matheson is one of the most frustrating talents I've seen in a long time - the Nuke Laloosh of college hockey. I will not be hurt if he turned pro.

Sit and Straight need to pick up their games badly. Smith plays hard and Patrick Brown is a beast on face-offs, but they should be 3rd & 4th line respectively.

Next year's freshmen will be counted on a ton, or we won't contend until the year after.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:00 am

MacLeod looked beyond lost last night.

Not sure what youre referring to re Matheson - i thought he was our best defenseman by a mile this season and it would be a big loss to lose him.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:01 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:MacLeod looked beyond lost last night.

Not sure what youre referring to re Matheson - i thought he was our best defenseman by a mile this season and it would be a big loss to lose him.

I think Mattheson is brutal. Super talented, but he's a mess on defense and commits about a million penalties.

I don't blame Milner last night, like I've been saying all season the defense isn't good
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:18 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I think Mattheson is brutal. Super talented, but he's a mess on defense and commits about a million penalties.

I don't blame Milner last night, like I've been saying all season the defense isn't good

He's an offensive defenseman and a damn good one at that. He's weak defensively but he's vital in facilitating the PP and getting the breakout going by either making a good outlet or rushing it up out of the zone. While it'd be nice if he were a little more responsible in zone, I have a hard time saying he's not a net-positive for the team.

Oh and he's an 18 YO freshman playing a position that has the longest developmental track. The problem is they don't have a shutdown guy or a steadying force to put alongside him.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:10 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

the defense is/was/has been atrocious.

i think elvii has a good point. hes got no defensive rock to play along side him. had he played with dumo or cross, i bet most people would view that pairing as the best pairing in college hockey.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:10 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

i think elvii has a good point. hes got no defensive rock to play along side him. had he played with dumo or cross, i bet most people would view that pairing as the best pairing in college hockey.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:12 am

Matheson is by far the most talented defenseman on this team. Probably most advanced offensive defenseman we've seen in a while, though he's got miles to go in his own end. As elvis said, he's 18 years old at a position where few come in at that age and have a huge impact.

The problem was there isn't a single shutdown dman on this unit, no Cross or Dumoulin to give 25 of rock solid minutes per night. A bunch of 2nd & 3rd pairing guys. All of them had their periods of suck this year.

We can cover this more later but the coaching staff isn't above criticism, they've largely struck out the past 2 recruiting classes, especially when you consider 13 fell into their laps over the summer.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:59 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

For every goal Ive seen Mattheson help with, there have been more that he's given up through dumb penalties (@UNH) or just falling asleep on D. He clearly has potential, but was part ofthe problem
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:15 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:For every goal Ive seen Mattheson help with, there have been more that he's given up through dumb penalties (@UNH) or just falling asleep on D. He clearly has potential, but was part of the problem

This. I've seen him do some amazing things with the puck, and he can really skate, but his decision-making has been awful. That's been hurtful on both defense and on the power-play (which has been pathetic at the end of the year), including making the right pass and keeping the puck in the zone.

I have no doubt that he has the talent to become elite, but right now I don't see how he fits into Jerry's system - which really has been generating offense by using speed in transition after strong defensive play. I also doubt he'll stay all four years. Would he have benefited from a stronger partner? Yes... but our D classes aren't balanced out so well lately. Dumolin's departure really hurt us in many ways.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:42 pm

Losing Matheson would be a huge hit. The kid is stellar for an 18 year old being asked to do so much.

Do the nitwits who claimed that the BU loss was Brownie and Cav's fault and not because of the roster want to give it another go?

Last night was embarrassing but not surprising. I was very impressed with Union as well. Talk about putting it all together at end of the year.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:24 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Matheson is by far the most talented defenseman on this team. Probably most advanced offensive defenseman we've seen in a while, though he's got miles to go in his own end. As elvis said, he's 18 years old at a position where few come in at that age and have a huge impact.

The problem was there isn't a single shutdown dman on this unit, no Cross or Dumoulin to give 25 of rock solid minutes per night. A bunch of 2nd & 3rd pairing guys. All of them had their periods of suck this year.

We can cover this more later but the coaching staff isn't above criticism, they've largely struck out the past 2 recruiting classes, especially when you consider 13 fell into their laps over the summer.

how did york and co shit the bed on 2 classes? esp since this was the place to be. is next year's awesome class an aberration?
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:50 pm

I'm not sure what the hell the Panthers owner is talking about unless he wants Matheson to go play junior or expects him to make the Panthers. North American players can't play in the AHL until two years after they're drafted, meaning he still needs to wait another year.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:56 am

First regarding Matheson, due to his background and where he was drafted he's always going to be discussed as a flight risk. As already discussed, he shouldn't go anywhere and still has miles to go in his own end.

As for how these last 2 classes happened, several things at play:
1) hockey recruiting is different than basketball & football for two reasons. First, kids commit at a younger age, so it's even more difficult to project kids 3 or 4 years out. Second, not everyone gets scholarships so there are a decent amount who partially pay their own way. Now I have no idea how the $$ worked out for the past 2 classes (who got what and frankly don't care). Just basing on roster construction/need/talent, probably a good allocation of the 2012's $ went to defensemen.
2) Lack of progression from the SO class.
For me this was pretty alarming. Don't need to call individual players out but we all know the suspects that didn't take the next step.
3) The now FR F.
Vatrano was supposed to dress from the get go but it never worked out. Now apparently his $$ went to sign Hanifin, the top SO in the country, but obviously hurt depth up front this season.
Silk is coming off an achillies tear where he missed a year and traditionally it takes bigger players longer to adjust. I hope he takes the next step starting next season but who knows.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:31 am

that time of year again, bu jr matt nieto signed with the sharks yesterday. he led bu in goals with 18

from what i hear odds are everyone is staying, as they should.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Supahfan99 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:21 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:As for how these last 2 classes happened, several things at play:
1) hockey recruiting is different than basketball & football for two reasons. First, kids commit at a younger age, so it's even more difficult to project kids 3 or 4 years out.

One quick point.

Sullivan was a late pickup as a decommitment from Yale.
Linell was a late pickup as a decommitment from Harvard.
Straight was a fairly late pickup as he committed at about 17 and 1/2 years old and came in the next season.

All 3 were bad evaluations.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:20 am

though not an early departure, steven whitney signed with the ducks last night according to daren dreger
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:33 am

Article on Gaudreau talking about his plans for next year (he says he's unsure, but I'd be surprised if he leaves).

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/hockey/calgary-flames/Flames+prospect+Gaudreau+unsure+whether/8197787/story.html

Top Flames prospect Gaudreau unsure whether he’ll turn pro next season

Hobey Baker finalist could end up staying in school another season to play with his brother

By Scott Cruickshank, Calgary Herald April 4, 2013

The Calgary Flames’ hotshot prospect, two time zones to the right, is stoked by the team’s fresh trend toward youth.

“Yeah, it’s cool,” Gaudreau, taking a break from classes at Boston College, said Thursday afternoon. “It’s really exciting to see some of those really talented big-name guys leave (because) for the young guys, it’s a chance to play there. To see how they’re going young, it’s pretty cool.”

All of which begs the question: When exactly will Gaudreau join the Flames organization’s professional stream?

“Definitely people have been asking me lately around school, around the rink,” he said. “But I’m not sure what I’m really doing. I have no idea.”

There is no rush, of course.

The lad doesn’t even turn 20 until August.

Then again, what more is left to accomplish at the college ranks?

As a freshman for the Eagles, Gaudreau picked up a point per game as the squad rumbled to the 2012 NCAA championship.

As a sophomore this past season, the left-winger cranked up his production and, Wednesday, was named a finalist for the Hobey Baker Memorial Award, given annually to U.S. college hockey’s top player.

Flames general manager Jay Feaster went to great lengths this week to point out that the turn-pro decision is solely Gaudreau’s.

Well?

“I know I really enjoy it here at BC,” said Gaudreau, a fourth-round pick, 104th overall, from the 2011 NHL draft. “I know Calgary is a really awesome place to be, a really fun hockey city. So both of my options are win-win. But I really want to get education, so that’s something I’m really taking into consideration. But I’d really like to get a chance to play for the Flames.

“So I’m not really sure right now. I’m just kind of playing it by ear.”

Another factor is Gaudreau’s little brother (who, yes, is actually smaller). Matthew Gaudreau, currently skating for the USHL’s Omaha Lancers, is committed to BC next season.

“I’d really like a chance to play with him,” said Gaudreau, listed at five foot eight and 153 pounds, “so I’m not really sure what to do.”

But he did add that the Flames aren’t being pushy.

“I’m thankful that they’re being so kind about it.”

The Flames have been previously associated with a number of Hobey Baker winners — Lane MacDonald (1989), Brendan Morrison (1997), Chris Drury (1998), Mike Mottau (2000), Jordan Leopold (2002).

Gaudreau might be next.

Next week, he travels to Pittsburgh for the NCAA awards banquet at the Frozen Four.

“It was definitely a surprise (to be a finalist),” said Gaudreau, who’s up against two seniors — Quinnipiac University goalie Eric Hartzell and St. Cloud State University forward Drew LeBlanc. “There was a lot of talented guys (on the longlist of 10), and even guys who weren’t on the top 10 — guys on my team, guys I’ve seen around the league. It was shocking to see some of the names not on there. I was really surprised to make the top 10, then to get into the top three as well.”

Meaning the accomplishment is not lost on the Carneys Point, N.J., native.

“Yeah, I’m definitely proud,” he said. “But being a sophomore and playing with two seniors (Steven Whitney, Pat Mullane), it was a lot of help from them, helping me out my first two years here. I don’t think I’d be in the top three right now if I hadn’t been playing with them all year. So I’m proud, but also very thankful.”

And should he win the grand prize?

“Definitely mind-blowing,” Gaudreau replied. “I’m shocked already. It would be even more shocking to win the award. But last year I got to go to the Frozen Four with my team, so it’s going to be a bittersweet kind of experience.”
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:13 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Article on Gaudreau talking about his plans for next year (he says he's unsure, but I'd be surprised if he leaves).

I agree. All indications are that he will stay.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:33 pm

Pat Wey signs with the Caps - OJ rejoices.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:36 am

Boston is bidding for the 2015 Frozen Four.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/college/college_hockey/2013/04/boston_shoots_for_future_frozen_four

Boston shoots for future Frozen Four
Saturday, April 6, 2013

There appears to be a groundswell of support for Boston to host a future NCAA men’s hockey Frozen Four when the next bid process unfolds in late spring or early summer.

The last time Boston hosted a Frozen Four was in 2004.

“We’re definitely interested,’’ said Steve Nazro, the director of events for TD Garden. “But the bid selections are not out yet.”

Typically, the Garden partners with Hockey East and at least one local school, usually Boston College or Boston University, in submitting a bid. Boston entered bids for this season (that ultimately was awarded to Pittsburgh) and next (Philadelphia).

Contributing to Boston losing out to the Iron City this year may have been a clogged events calendar, including a conflict with the Boston Marathon on Monday, April 15. This year’s Frozen Four will be played April 11 and 13. That logjam had the potential for hockey and marathon fans battling for area hotel rooms.

“That could be a factor,’’ Nazro said. “But we don’t always get what the reason is. I do know that the hotels in Tampa (Frozen Four site in 2012), say, are probably cheaper than in Boston, but the hotels in Philadelphia are probably in line with what you’d pay here in Boston.’’

Kristin Fasbender, the NCAA associate director of championships and alliances, said the committee would welcome a bid application from Boston. Because future Boston Marathons will be held on April 21, 2014, April 20, 2015, and April 18, 2016, and the Frozen Four is held annually on the Thursday-Saturday following the NCAA Div. 1 men’s basketball championship game (played on the Monday after the first weekend in April), there would appear to be no pending conflict with a future Hub effort to host a Frozen Four.

“We’re still in the process. I would expect they would go out early summer. We have a meeting shortly after the Frozen Four,’’ Fasbender said. “(Future sites) will probably be for two years and maybe three years out.”

Patrick B. Moscaritolo, the president & CEO of the Greater Boston Convention & Visitors Bureau, said a Frozen Four in Boston would typically generate as much as $6 million, if three or more teams traveled. The bureau estimated the 116th Boston Marathon in 2012 generated $137.5 million in spending impact to the region, a figure comparable to hosting an NCAA basketball Final Four. He said it was possible for Boston to handle both a Frozen Four and Boston Marathon concurrently. According to Moscaritolo, there are approximately 23,000 available hotel rooms in the Boston and Cambridge areas. Of that total, the marathon typically uses about 12,000 while a Frozen Four uses about 2,000.

“I think the NCAA is more likely to look at it if there is no major sporting event going on at the same time that could drown it out. This year you have the oldest marathon in the world with 26,000 runners. I just think that they’d look at it and say there is too much conflict,’’ said Moscaritolo.

I doubt Boston wins the bid. Apparently the last time they hosted the city & building really half assed it, also they'd probably want to put one in the west after 2012: Tampa, 2013: Pittsburgh, 2014: Philly
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

PreviousNext