UVM & Final Weekend

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

UVM & Final Weekend

Postby claver2010 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:11 pm

Still a complete log jam at the top of HE. Only 1 team (UML) has clinched home w 2 games remaining, unbelievable.

1. UML 32
2. UNH 31
3. BC 30
4. PC 30
5. BU 28
6. MC 27
7. UVM 21
8. Maine 19
9. UMass 18
10. NU 14

The great thing from BC's POV is they hold the tiebreaker right now over every single team in contention. BC only needs 1 W this weekend (or 2 T) to clinch home ice. Wouldn't want to see BU (obviously) & PC in the first round, MC would be a serious struggle as well.

From the injury front, Whitney should be good to go this weekend, Wey probably will be as well.

On Patch:
"Sometimes, injuries run in streaks," said York. "We've got a lot of good players, so we're not going to dwell on that. We're hoping that down the stretch, we're not going to get (Kevin Hayes) back, that's for sure, but there's a good possibility that we'll get Patch (Alber) back, and I'm hoping Whitney and Wey can get back. But all teams go through it."

Someone brought up the possibility of Gaudreau being hurt, wouldn't completely shock me. Over the years, we've seen a ton of players take off post WJC and he has regressed (1.6 PPG before, 1.1 after) and is in the middle of his 2nd longest scoring drought (6 games) since he cam here. He took a pretty big hit in the tournament and favored his shoulder -I haven't heard anything.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Re: UVM & Final Weekend

Postby BostonCollege1 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:28 pm

Someone told me they thought teams are running Gaudreau every game now. He took a tough hit yesterday, and was the recipient of the major hit on Friday.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:04 am

Think that's the goal on gaudreau is to try to rough him up

PC plays a very physical game, Epstein heard they thought pc was taking runs, definitely possible though not on the level of Merrihack and their 26 year old goons
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:16 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Think that's the goal on gaudreau is to try to rough him up

PC plays a very physical game, Epstein heard they thought pc was taking runs, definitely possible though not on the level of Merrihack and their 26 year old goons

PC/Merrimack are both very dirty teams. My wife and I were shocked at the late hits that werent't called these past 2 weekends. The puck would be gone for like 5 seconds and then a BC guy would get it.

Goudreau needs to shoot the puck, plain and simple
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:43 am

Silk suspended for Friday by HE for a hit to the head

Odd considering this is the first time I can recall HE suspending this year, on the last weekend of the year on something wasn't that wasn't called, & for someone w no history
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:08 am

Some good news on the injury front:

Wey practiced fully and should be good
Whitney practiced and probably will be good
Patch practiced in a no contact uni, a month before predicted, and might be back next weekend if not the following
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:49 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Some good news on the injury front:

Wey practiced fully and should be good
Whitney practiced and probably will be good
Patch practiced in a no contact uni, a month before predicted, and might be back next weekend if not the following

Just read the injury report on TOS. What happened to Kevin Hayes?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:57 am

York called it a 'softball sized blood clot', I don't think we need to worry abt him going pro after this season (I didn't think he would before this)
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:20 am

3 surgeries with a possible 4th because of a blood clot? Yikes! At least we know he is in good hands at St. E's.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:32 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:3 surgeries with a possible 4th because of a blood clot? Yikes! At least we know he is in good hands at St. E's.

Any of the Photoshop gurus up for a sequel to the English Patient?
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby AdamBC on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:36 am

My plan is to drive up to UVM for the Saturday game. Hope the weather finishes early Friday so the roads are not a problem Saturday morning.
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:16 pm

Free video for this one:

http://www.nsnsports.net/uvm
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:59 am

4-4 T

2 points separate a RS championship and needing to go on the road in the first round. Only 1 team has clinched home ice w 1 game to go (UML), if BC won last night they would've controlled their own destiny.

One thing that really benefits BC when we get into convoluted tiebreakers, is the H2H against top teams. BC doesn't lose a H2H tiebreaker amongst any of the top 6 teams.

I doubt UVM will play this way but they clinched a playoff birth last night
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Re: UVM & BC

Postby wolverineneshl on Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:53 am

I like the quarter round matchup and no injuries after the series with UVM, and now they play UVM again at home.

It's good they avoid a team like PC or Merrimack in this round to avoid more imjuries. I don't really respect teams that try to injure players to win. But BC will have to play physical too with these teams.

Also, the staff and team has more time for Linnell to get acclimated to the blueline. I'm not liking it, but no choice I guess with the injuries and lack of depth on D it's important. Not sure if Patch is back or needs more time to rehab.

The defensive is obviously weak compared to last year when you have Cross and Dumoulin, and a lot inexperience on the blueline like Sullivan, Jeke , Doherty, and Matheson. Milner is getting beat on high shots. Parker Milner needs to step it up ???
wolverineneshl
McGuinn Hall

Re: UVM & BC

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:35 am

wolverineneshl {l Wrote}:I like the quarter round matchup and no injuries after the series with UVM, and now they play UVM again at home.

It's good they avoid a team like PC or Merrimack in this round to avoid more imjuries. I don't really respect teams that try to injure players to win. But BC will have to play physical too with these teams.

Agree with this. Obviously you always want to win everything in sight but the HEA regular season championship is probably 5th on the list of accomplishments I care about (after national championship, HEA tournament, Frozen Four, Beanpot) and UVM is a MUCH more favorable first-round matchup than Maine, who dug themselves into a hole they couldn't fully climb out of early in the year but who is playing pretty well right now. Don't be shocked if they take down Lowell.

Now it's time to put on the gold jerseys.

Prediction time:

Maine over UML 2-1
BC over UVM 2-0
Merrimack over BU 2-1
UNH over PC 2-1

BC over Maine
Merrimack over UNH

BC over Merrimack

Keep in mind I've been out of the country since mid-January and haven't seen any of these teams other than BC play more than twice this year, so take it FWIW.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:38 am

Considering the abortion the Maine weekend was how can you not be thrilled with UVM?

Didn't want to see PC (think they're making it to the Garden), MC (though it would be at Conte they're a tough team to play and we already are banged up), & obviously BU.

The biggest takeaway from last night has to be 13 getting on track. 6 points (2-4-6) equaled his output for the last month. If this team is going to make a run, the 2008 season blueprint is there. Tighten up on D (I'll get to that), stellar goaltending (we know Milner has done it before) and the best offensive weapons getting hot.

On D, it's looking more and more likely Patch is getting back for next weekend. Obviously there's going to be some rust but even getting 10 min/night would be huge. A commenter on BCI made a great point, from here on out the majority of our games will be on tv. Obviously this sucks if you're there, but for a team with minimal depth, it could be huge.

Anyway predictions:
UML over Maine 2-1
BC over UVM 2-0
BU over MC 2-1
PC over UNH 2-0

Pretty much chalk which is :bored
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:13 am

BC vs BU Fri Night at the garden would be fun
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:53 pm

Massive Gaudreau article in the Daily News today:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/zone-jersey-kid-turning-star-bc-hockey-article-1.1284022

New Jersey's Johnny Gaudreau is turning into a shining star for goal-crazy Boston College
End Zone: The undersized teenager - now up to 5-8 and 153 - has emerged as one of the elite players in college hockey, Barcelona’s Lionel Messi with blades and a stick, a kid you can’t take your eyes off because he might do something that will be all over You Tube by the morning.

Comments (1)
BY WAYNE COFFEY / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

PUBLISHED: SATURDAY, MARCH 9, 2013, 5:10 PM

NEWTON, Mass. — He comes from South Jersey, this kid they call Johnny Hockey. He looks like a minnow in a helmet, shaves once a week and has the diet of a finicky fifth-grader.
“I pretty much hate vegetables, all of them,” Johnny Hockey says. “I can’t even get them in my mouth.” You keep looking at Johnny Gaudreau, who was 5-7 and maybe 140 pounds when he arrived at Boston College 18 months ago, and you wonder:
Could this really be the prodigy who sparked the U.S. to the gold medal in the world junior hockey championships earlier this year, scoring a tournament-leading seven goals in a four-game span?
The left wing who rung up 27 points in BC’s 19-game winning streak last year, a run that culminated with the program’s third NCAA title in five seasons?
The undersized teenager — now up to 5-8 and 153 — who has emerged as one of the elite players in college hockey, Barcelona’s Lionel Messi with blades and a stick, a kid you can’t take your eyes off because he might do something that will be all over You Tube by the morning?

In the third period of the NCAA title game last April, BC was leading Ferris State by a goal with just over three minutes to play when Gaudreau (GOO-dro), No. 13 in gold and maroon, corralled a loose puck near his own blue line. He accelerated by one Ferris State player, then completely deked another, switching from forehand to backhand, going in alone and then wristing the puck into the upper left corner, five seconds that yielded as pretty a goal as you will see.
Says Pat Mullane, BC captain and Gaudreau’s centerman, “What he can do with the puck is incredible. His offensive talents are unlike anything I’ve ever seen before.”
Phil Housley, a veteran of 20 NHL seasons who scored 388 goals as an offensive defenseman, was the U.S. coach in the world junior tournament. Housley may never before have coached a player whose favorite food was M&Ms.
“When I first met him I was pretty shocked,” Housley says. “He looks like your little brother. (Then) he got on the ice and right away you could see that he plays the game in a way very few people do.”

John Michael Gaudreau grew up in Carneys Point, N.J., a small town not far from the Delaware Memorial Bridge, known principally for being the birthplace of Bruce Willis. Gaudreau watched most of Willis’ “Die Hard” films, but spent much more time on the ice at Hollydell Ice Arena, where his father, Guy Gaudreau, is the director of hockey. The son of a New England dairy farmer, Guy Gaudreau learned both French and English in Beebe Plain, Vt., where the main street is Canadian on one side, and American on the other. Guy Gaudreau fell in love with hockey and went on to play for Norwich University, before ultimately making his way to the rink in South Jersey, where he had Johnny on the ice at age 2, getting his son to skate by sprinkling Skittles on the ice in front of him. He used the same technique with his younger, son, Matthew, who will be joining Johnny at BC next fall.

“They’d crawl, skate, do whatever he had to do to get their Skittles,” Guy Gaudreau says. “They both picked it up pretty quick. Soon they didn’t need the Skittles anymore.”
Now a 19-year-old sophomore, Johnny Gaudreau was almost always the smallest kid on the ice, but his quickness and stickhandling and what Housley calls his “escapability” enabled him to flourish. Northeastern offered him a full ride at age 17, and the Calgary Flames made him their fourth-round pick in the 2011 NHL draft, no matter that he was 5-6 and in the 130s at that point. Still, Gaudreau had plenty of doubters along the way, and was cut from several U.S. national teams.
“All my life I heard about (my size),” Gaudreau says. “I kind of believed (it would stop me) at times. But I wanted to prove them wrong. It’s a thinking tool for me.”
Gaudreau spent his senior year in high school starring for the Dubuque Fighting Saints in the U.S. Hockey League, helping his team capture the USHL title and being named rookie of the year, before his hockey life took an unforeseen turn. Greg Cronin and his assistant, Albie O’Connell, the men who had recruited Gaudreau for Northeastern, left for the Toronto Maple Leafs and Harvard, respectively. Gaudreau was in play again, and quickly found a new landing spot with BC coach Jerry York, who has not only won more NCAA hockey games (932 going into the weekend) than any coach in history, but also has a long track record of getting big results from small players — among them 5-5 Nathan Gerbe of the Buffalo Sabres and 5-7 Brian Gionta of the Canadiens, along with Brian’s brother, Stephen, of the Devils. The leading goal scorer on this year’s BC team is a 5-7, 165-pound right wing, Steven Whitney.

The difference between BC’s other undersized stars and Gaudreau is that he is a now-you-see-him, now-you-don’t wisp, with neither slabs of muscle nor any sort of stoutness. Watch him on campus in jeans and a hoodie, and you wouldn’t be sure if he could even play for an intramural team.

“When I first saw Johnny come through here,” says Russell DeRosa, BC’s strength and conditioning coach for Olympic sports, “he was somebody you were worried might get hurt. I didn’t know if he’d be able to get through the season.”

York is no less amazed by Gaudreau, even after watching him pile up a snowbank of achievements for almost two seasons. Gaudreau was the MVP of both Boston’s fabled Beanpot tournament and the Hockey East tournament as a freshman. He was the most prolific late-season weapon on last year’s NCAA title team, and with 17 goals and 29 assists in 31 games — including two goals and four assists in Saturday’s 7-2 win at Vermont — this year, has more points per game (1.48) than any sophomore in the country.

“You walk into the locker room five minutes before a game and you look at their faces all around the room and you think, ‘Who’s going to have the biggest impact on this game?’ ” York says. “You see this young kid, a little kid who looks like he’s 15, and it’s hard to believe, but he is the one who has that sort of impact, shift after shift, game after game.”

More even than his skating and his stickhandling, Gaudreau’s greatest assets may be his patience and his gift for reading the game, creating on the fly. Housley still marvels at a goal in the world juniors where Gaudreau went 1-on-1 on a defenseman, deftly went backhand to forehand, then waited and waited until the defenseman was screening the goaltender, and fired the puck into the top corner.

“Johnny’s just incredibly dynamic, had game-breaking ability, could do something once or twice a game that would just make you shake your head, and make you wish that you could do it,” says Rangers rookie Chris Kreider, who teamed with Gaudreau last year. “He’s an unbelievable player, unbelievable skill, and he’s an even better person.”

Says Pat Mullane, the BC captain, “Great chess players play four moves ahead — and that’s how Johnny plays hockey.”

With the postseason days away, the Boston College Eagles (20-10-4) are struggling to find their best form. They lost a standout forward, Kevin Hayes, a first-round pick of the Blackhawks, to suspension and then season-ending surgery. They are thin along the back line, and have gone 3-3-2 in their last eight games, following this weekend’s series at Vermont.

Johnny Gaudreau won’t despair, though, not as long as there’s a sheet of ice nearby. The little kid they call Johnny Hockey likes big theatrics, and the personal spotlight, about as much as he likes broccoli. He doesn’t want to be anything other than one of the guys. Gaudreau was flattered, but also embarrassed, when he first heard himself called Johnny Hockey; you can be pretty sure he won’t be trying to trademark it the way Johnny (Manziel) Football has.

The Hockey East quarterfinals begin Friday, and the NCAA Regionals are at the end of the month. If the last two seasons are any indication, look for Johnny Hockey to do what he does best, eluding and electrifying and excelling, a minnow amid much bigger fish, darting here, deceiving there, daring to swim way ahead of the school.

“I love it so much it’s hard to describe,” Johnny Hockey says. “Every day, being on the ice, it doesn’t ever get old for me.”
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:35 pm

Wow

Edit: Also game 1 on Friday will be on NBC Sports
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:27 am

Patch has been cleared to play this weekend barring a setback in practice this week

About as healthy as this team will be going forward
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:55 pm

Several more injury updates:

Kevin Hayes:
@KevinPHayes12
After 4 surgeries and 2weeks in the hospital glad to get outta here 2moro. Very grateful for everyone who helped me through this. #family #1

Whitney didn't practice, maintenance day (leg & shoulder)

Matheson left early, was very questionable heading into Saturday w an ankle issue, should be good to go

York expects Patch to play "a lot"
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:35 pm

If there's any year that there may be craziness in the outcomes, it's probably this season.

Maine 2-1
BC 2-0
BU 2-1
PC 2-1

Maine v. PC

PC
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:36 pm

Games on NBC sports tonight, first time in a whole the students have been in school for the QFs
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:44 am

Very solid first 2 periods (especially the 2nd), the 3rd? ugh

Always nice to see the role players help in on the scoring, something this team is going to need if it's going to make a run. Turnovers though, sweet jesus.

We're 2 games away from the chance for Jerry to send Jack into retirement on Friday night at 8 at the Garden.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:40 pm

York going to miss the remainder of the series w another detached retina, surgery Monday
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby joeyfenn on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:49 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Games on NBC sports tonight, first time in a whole the students have been in school for the QFs

Still very few people at these 2 games. What's up with that?
joeyfenn
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:35 am

Couple of reasons. QF attendance is always a disaster across HE.

Usually students are on break
For some reason these tickets aren't included in the season ticket package
From the BC POV, it's the spoiled fan BC is going to the Garden for the 9th (ish?) year in a row.

On last night, UVM went all Merrihack on BC. That knee on knee hit Arnold took was very scary, he couldn't move going off the ice. How many times did they run Milner this weekend? Would love if someone took care of business but the primary culprit would be Matheson and he's one game misconduct from an auto suspension.

The powerplay was obviously a concern. For the majority of the 1st they had the advantage and could only pot 1, overall it looked very shaky. With the loss of Hayes, they just load up 1 unit, the 2nd unit doesn't do much.

The turnovers still a huge concern. Don't get no Jeke playing.

BC has a chance to send Jack Parker to an early retirement. Won't be the same sans York (no inside info but there's no way he's back next weekend). Primetime on NESN & NBCSports I believe
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Return to Kelley Rink