Bruins Weirdos

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby buconvict on Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:24 pm

As I stated previously, they should have kept Ward and Kessel, not signed Morris and Begin. If you trade Kobasew at that point, then you make all the pieces work under the cap, instead of dumping a guy 8 games into the season so you can clear cap space for "next season"
Image

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
User avatar
buconvict
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 903
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:11 pm
Karma: 47

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby flyingelvii on Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:14 pm

buconvict wrote:As I stated previously, they should have kept Ward and Kessel, not signed Morris and Begin. If you trade Kobasew at that point, then you make all the pieces work under the cap, instead of dumping a guy 8 games into the season so you can clear cap space for "next season"

That only frees up about 4 million (800k savings with Ward, a little under $1 million with Begin, $2.3 million with Kobasew) under the cap with the trade of Kobasew. Find an extra $1.5 million.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall
 
Posts: 5575
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:28 pm
Karma: 82

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby bceagles24 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:38 pm

flyingelvii wrote:MarchanD/Sobotka is replacing Kobasew. That's all I said. I believe that both Bergeron and Krejci do have the ability to replace Savvy after the season. I apologize for being wary of giving 32 year-olds large contracts (I don't think I commented on this but since I apparently said a winger can replace Savvy, fuck it, I'm sure people will disagree with me here for whatever reason). Bergeron was well on his way to becoming a top-line center before Randy Jones nearly broke his neck two years ago. He's looked very solid this year. Krejci is probably more of a number two but I feel he has a ton of room to grow. The one thing the Bruins aren't missing, both in the NHL and AHL, is center depth. Hamill waiting in the wings and Colborne is lighting up the NCAAs again. That's one area where the B's are at a strength.

IMO if the Bruins kept Kessel at $5.4 AAV, with the cap space they'd have to move around, the team would've been worse. Sorry for having a basic understanding of the salary cap and the fact that teams don't always have the ability to keep everyone. It's not a soft cap like the NBA. It's a fucking hard cap. You can't spend over the cap amount. There's no luxury tax. There's no Larry Bird Exception. There's no wiggle room. I don't know what Oakland has to do with this. It's a shitty analogy because they couldn't afford those guys while other teams could pay them whatever they wanted to because MLB doesn't have a cap. The Bruins could afford Kessel, they just didn't have the cap room to get him.

Now I'm curious because after all this debate I'm the only one who has given a reason as why the Bruins weren't wholly wrong for trading Kessel. Please enlighten me with what the Bruins should have done in order to keep Kessel (roster moves and all that jazz). I am legitimately curious if you comprehend the situation. This is coming off as snarky as hell but so far the only argument I've seen is that the Bruins should have signed Kessel and...well, that's it. Make me eat crow.


I actually agree with trading Kessel,and he was my favorite player on the team. Here is why:
His teammates didn't like him you saw all the comments about how only 99% of the team wnated to win. That only started once Kessel was gone.
Next reason is he and Julien clashed a lot. Kessel didn't like to play D and if you don't, you don't fit in his system.
If we signed him you could most defenitely say goodbye to atleast one of Savard,Wheeler,Stuart,or Rask no doubt about it.
Now we have a ton of things we could do. We could keep the picks and we amazing in a couple of years,or we could trade them for a guy like Frovol or someone that becomes available at the deadline.
Lastly BU I disagree with not getting Morris,he has been a very good player for us this year,and an upgrade over Ward IMO.
bceagles24
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1041
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:32 am
Karma: 213

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:44 pm

Again I agree with 24 and disagree with BUC.

The Bruins need to start playing better hockey is the bottom line, and Kessel nor Kobassew would really be contributing to that at the moment.
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16683
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Karma: -273

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby buconvict on Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:25 pm

flyingelvii wrote:
buconvict wrote:As I stated previously, they should have kept Ward and Kessel, not signed Morris and Begin. If you trade Kobasew at that point, then you make all the pieces work under the cap, instead of dumping a guy 8 games into the season so you can clear cap space for "next season"

That only frees up about 4 million (800k savings with Ward, a little under $1 million with Begin, $2.3 million with Kobasew) under the cap with the trade of Kobasew. Find an extra $1.5 million.



There's 3.3 million right there. No Morris and No Begin = 4.2 mil. Keep Ward makes that figure 3.4 mil. Trade Chuck for picks and you're up to 5.7 million, plenty enough to keep Kessel.

This thread has gotten out of hand. I'm stunned to see people who actually care about the Bruins defending what's going on right now. The whole "the players need to be better" is yet another TOB regurgitation that you are all buying into, and I cannot understand why. The Bruins have significantly downgraded their team from last year, a team that got knocked out in the 2nd round. They needed to improve, but they regressed. I don't see how that is acceptable.
Image

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
User avatar
buconvict
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 903
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:11 pm
Karma: 47

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby bceagles24 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Here is something else to consider,Kessel's teammates didn't think he really wanted it or really cared,so that leads to think the following. For all we know Kessel could be a guy that as soon as he gets his big paycheck he is gone and you never hear from him because he doesn't try. Is that the type of guy that you want to be paying 5.5 million or so for 5 or 6 years because if you think it is bad now that would make this team alot worse. You would have Kessel doing nothing,then you lose Morris and Begin's production plus Soby and Marchard probably aren't up,so you lose that as well. There were way too many concerns to keep Kessel IMO. This team will be fine. You have to realize that they are playing without Savard and Lucic right now,and I don't think that Krecji is fully healthy yet either. I have no problem with these moves and most Bruins fans don't either.
bceagles24
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1041
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:32 am
Karma: 213

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby flyingelvii on Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:00 pm

buconvict wrote:
flyingelvii wrote:
buconvict wrote:As I stated previously, they should have kept Ward and Kessel, not signed Morris and Begin. If you trade Kobasew at that point, then you make all the pieces work under the cap, instead of dumping a guy 8 games into the season so you can clear cap space for "next season"

That only frees up about 4 million (800k savings with Ward, a little under $1 million with Begin, $2.3 million with Kobasew) under the cap with the trade of Kobasew. Find an extra $1.5 million.



There's 3.3 million right there. No Morris and No Begin = 4.2 mil. Keep Ward makes that figure 3.4 mil. Trade Chuck for picks and you're up to 5.7 million, plenty enough to keep Kessel.

This thread has gotten out of hand. I'm stunned to see people who actually care about the Bruins defending what's going on right now. The whole "the players need to be better" is yet another TOB regurgitation that you are all buying into, and I cannot understand why. The Bruins have significantly downgraded their team from last year, a team that got knocked out in the 2nd round. They needed to improve, but they regressed. I don't see how that is acceptable.

No it's not. Aaron Ward's salary is $2.5 AAV, Morris is $3.3 AAV, hence the 800k in savings with Ward that I stated in my post. Please enlighten me as to how you will find the extra $1.5 million and how the team will be better off because of it.

And I'm not entirely surprised they're struggling right now considering 2/3 of the first line is on the LTIR. I am interested in seeing which players, if any, step up in Savard's absence. This is essentially the same roster as before minus four guys (Kessel, Kobasew, Yelle, and Ward), one of whom wouldn't even be playing right now. Unless they got horrible in the offseason, it is a matter of the players needing to play better. Wheeler's been invisible, Recchi looks old, Ference is awful, Krejci is still off, among other things.

Edit: The Penguins went through similar things last year, barely staying afloat for a little bit and then taking off. I'm not saying that they're the Pens but this whole "This season is over after 10 games" BS is stupid.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall
 
Posts: 5575
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:28 pm
Karma: 82

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby buconvict on Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:07 pm

Without further indulging the TOB-esque excuse machine, I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that the Bruins haven't scored in their last two games, your Golden Boy David Krejci has one goal and four assists in 14 games, and the team has one of the 3 worst powerplays in the NHL. But that's solely because Lucic and his 17 goals from '08 are injured.

Krejci 4evr ool
Image

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
User avatar
buconvict
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 903
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:11 pm
Karma: 47

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:23 pm

buconvict wrote:Without further indulging the TOB-esque excuse machine, I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that the Bruins haven't scored in their last two games, your Golden Boy David Krejci has one goal and four assists in 14 games, and the team has one of the 3 worst powerplays in the NHL. But that's solely because Lucic and his 17 goals from '08 are injured.

Krejci 4evr ool


Yeah but they have payroll flexibility for next season and that's more important than winning! :elephant :pickle :cheer
User avatar
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 8489
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:02 pm
Karma: 1613

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:49 pm

The Bruins are absolutely awful right now.
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16683
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Karma: -273

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:14 pm

buconvict wrote:Without further indulging the TOB-esque excuse machine, I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that the Bruins haven't scored in their last two games, your Golden Boy David Krejci has one goal and four assists in 14 games, and the team has one of the 3 worst powerplays in the NHL. But that's solely because Lucic and his 17 goals from '08 are injured.

Krejci 4evr ool

Lucic has never been a big PP contributor. He was 9th among forwards in PP TOI/game. I'm sorry for saying this but you continue to sound like you watched about 2 games last year. But you are right, Phil Kessel would have greatly helped this PP for the first 14 games from the press box. He has the intangibles of Derek Jeter. Also, Krejci was absolutely incredible last year, definitively the second or third most valuable forward behind Savard and maybe Kessel. Part of the reason he's struggling is because he's coming off of offseason hip surgery that was originally expected to knock him out for a few weeks into the season. Now that clearly doesn't account for all of his struggles (though I'm sure you will ignore this because people here like to ignore rationale so long as it's part of their bigger point) but it does account for some. I'll give him 4 or so more games before I start to get very worried. I will admit that he has been disappointing so far and something about his game seems very off, for lack of a better term. The defense is still playing well, however. They went through this same stretch last year around the All Star break. I'm just hoping that they can tread water with about a .500+ record and once Savard comes back things will start to pick up.

And honestly, a HUUUUUGE part of the PP struggles are from the loss of Savard. The offense is still in a rut however. And Trent Whitfield is one of the worst hockey players I have ever seen. Although Chuck Kobasew and his 10 minutes of TOI would have totally fixed this team of all its ills. BTW, the PK has been incredible since Paille came aboard.

Further, you still haven't answered my question from before. Please tell me how you would fit Kessel under the cap so that the Bruins would be able to field a team with 2 goalies, 13 forwards, and 7 defensemen and would be better. I'm still looking for that $1.5 million. And remember, entry level deals for replacement AHL players run for about $550k AAV.

This post is all over the place and I'm feeling lazy right now but the last post is partially correct. The Bruins offense is terrible right now. They don't have any flow and are very snakebitten (or Marco Sturm sucks and Mark Recchi needs to be taken out back and shot). I'm still encouraged by what I see in Bergeron. Just keep on going with the old hockey adage of getting shots on net and good things will happen.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall
 
Posts: 5575
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:28 pm
Karma: 82

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:05 pm

This is what you have to understand about BUConvict. He doesn't use any sense of logic in any argument. The three of us can agree that the Bruins are awful right now but:

- No Lucic and Savard isn't helping things in the slightest
- Phil Kessell would have been really useful sitting next to me in the press box (I work in the sports media for the Caps)
- Kobessew is really tearing it up in his new destination (not)

The Bruins struggles have nothing to do with missing Phil Kessell and Aaron Ward. It has more to do with Krecji playing awful, 2 of our top 6 forwards are injured and Thomas playing shotty in goal.
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16683
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Karma: -273

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:32 pm

eepstein0 wrote:This is what you have to understand about BUConvict. He doesn't use any sense of logic in any argument. The three of us can agree that the Bruins are awful right now but:

- No Lucic and Savard isn't helping things in the slightest
- Phil Kessell would have been really useful sitting next to me in the press box (I work in the sports media for the Caps)
- Kobessew is really tearing it up in his new destination (not)

The Bruins struggles have nothing to do with missing Phil Kessell and Aaron Ward. It has more to do with Krecji playing awful, 2 of our top 6 forwards are injured and Thomas playing shotty in goal.

You say it so much more eloquently and with less words than I do.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall
 
Posts: 5575
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:28 pm
Karma: 82

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:27 pm

Hey man they pay me to be concise. Let's see how nasty the Caps would be if we take away Backstrom and either Ovie (he's dinged but he'll be fine) or Semin. Let's see how good the Canucks would be if we take away Sedin and Burrows (more accuarte comparison). The answer is obviously not very good. The B's are going to make a deal at the deadline for a top 6 Forward (I'm not guaranteeing Ilya but they'll get someone), get Savy and Lucic healthy. Then we can return Trent Whitfield and the rest of his crew to waivers/Providence. Svotka is sort of exempt for the last sentence. The B's are just going to have to win some playoff games on the road this year, that's all.

I'll just wait until then to tell BuConvict I told him so.

flyingelvii wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:This is what you have to understand about BUConvict. He doesn't use any sense of logic in any argument. The three of us can agree that the Bruins are awful right now but:

- No Lucic and Savard isn't helping things in the slightest
- Phil Kessell would have been really useful sitting next to me in the press box (I work in the sports media for the Caps)
- Kobessew is really tearing it up in his new destination (not)

The Bruins struggles have nothing to do with missing Phil Kessell and Aaron Ward. It has more to do with Krecji playing awful, 2 of our top 6 forwards are injured and Thomas playing shotty in goal.

You say it so much more eloquently and with less words than I do.
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16683
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Karma: -273

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:34 pm

You know what, I'm not quite done with this I've decided. The B's should have made the deal that moved Kessel to Toronto for Kaberle. Kaberle would have helped the PP (12 PP this season) and provided the B's with another solid defensemen, you can' t have too many of those. I've been pleasantly suprised with Derrick Morris though he's a good player. Getting Wideman awaken from his slumber would also do wonders. Chara and Morris on the 1st line D and then Kaberle and Wideman on the 2nd D pair would be awesome.
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16683
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Karma: -273

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:08 pm

eepstein0 wrote:You know what, I'm not quite done with this I've decided. The B's should have made the deal that moved Kessel to Toronto for Kaberle. Kaberle would have helped the PP (12 PP this season) and provided the B's with another solid defensemen, you can' t have too many of those. I've been pleasantly suprised with Derrick Morris though he's a good player. Getting Wideman awaken from his slumber would also do wonders. Chara and Morris on the 1st line D and then Kaberle and Wideman on the 2nd D pair would be awesome.

Wake Chara up too. Hasn't been the steadying force that he was last year. And I'd love to see more of Boychuk and less of Hunwick and/or Ference. Boychuk was one of the best D in his short playing stint a couple weeks ago and Hunwick looks completely lost in his own end. I'm sure Boychuk will be playing soon enough when the inevitable Ference injury comes up. I'm still on the fence about the Kabarle deal. Yeah he'd be better than Morris but he has an awfully big cap number for next year ($4.25 AAV...which is still less than Komisarek, HA!), which is huge considering all the U/RFAs on the B's.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall
 
Posts: 5575
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:28 pm
Karma: 82

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:12 pm

Chara needs to step it up, especially offensively. I can see your point on the Kaberle deal, I didn't realize his cap number was that high. We're going to need the money in order to resign some of the U/RFAs this off-season. Morris is probably a better value.

When I watched the B's game against Dallas, Boychuk certainly wasn't shy about bombing slap shots from the point. Boychuk is a really good offensive player but he seems like he struggles a bit in his own zone. Having said that, Boychuk still needs to be playing every night.

See, the funny part is BUC and some others criticize the Kessel deal and some other off-season moves. The real problem is the current team isn't playing anywhere near their ability (or at least how they played last season). I really can't imagine Kessel and Kobessaw bringing out the best in the rest of the team from what I hear from around the league. Kessel was not a good locker room guy at all, and I can confirm that from numerous NHL scouts (who I sit next to on a nightly basis pretty much), media members and even current NHL players lurking around the press box at the Verizon Center.

flyingelvii wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:You know what, I'm not quite done with this I've decided. The B's should have made the deal that moved Kessel to Toronto for Kaberle. Kaberle would have helped the PP (12 PP this season) and provided the B's with another solid defensemen, you can' t have too many of those. I've been pleasantly suprised with Derrick Morris though he's a good player. Getting Wideman awaken from his slumber would also do wonders. Chara and Morris on the 1st line D and then Kaberle and Wideman on the 2nd D pair would be awesome.

Wake Chara up too. Hasn't been the steadying force that he was last year. And I'd love to see more of Boychuk and less of Hunwick and/or Ference. Boychuk was one of the best D in his short playing stint a couple weeks ago and Hunwick looks completely lost in his own end. I'm sure Boychuk will be playing soon enough when the inevitable Ference injury comes up. I'm still on the fence about the Kabarle deal. Yeah he'd be better than Morris but he has an awfully big cap number for next year ($4.25 AAV...which is still less than Komisarek, HA!), which is huge considering all the U/RFAs on the B's.
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16683
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Karma: -273

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:44 am

I've always gotten that impression from him. I played against him in a tourney in Pee Wees I think and he used to take a shift at forward, shift at D, rest a shift, and do it again. I can only imagine that his coaches coddled him like that until he got to the U. IIRC that was the first time his character issues came up and that was one of the main reasons he fell to the B's in the draft.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall
 
Posts: 5575
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:28 pm
Karma: 82

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:36 am

So if Kessel was such a clubhouse cancer who makes everyone around him suck, when can we expect this team to play well now that his reign of terror is over?

PS- Kessel was on the team last season and they seemed to play pretty well despite his best efforts to crush everyone's spirits.
User avatar
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 8489
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:02 pm
Karma: 1613

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:21 pm

Do you even watch the Bruins? I live in DC and I bet I somehow see more games. Savard has been out, Lucic has been out, Krecji has swine flu. I think you might want to hold out assessment here until the Bruins have somewhere near a full-team. Take 3 of the top 6 forwards off of an NHL team and see how well they do for an extended period of time. It's not that Kessel dragged anyone down necessarily, people just don't like him in the locker room. Toronto is going to awful with or without him this year.



Endless Mike wrote:So if Kessel was such a clubhouse cancer who makes everyone around him suck, when can we expect this team to play well now that his reign of terror is over?

PS- Kessel was on the team last season and they seemed to play pretty well despite his best efforts to crush everyone's spirits.
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16683
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Karma: -273

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby buconvict on Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:40 pm

Anyone else see Kessel's first game back the other night? Looked like Pavel Bure. He'll score more goals than anyone on the Bruins, even after a 14 game head start.

I love how I bring no logic to the table just because I disagree with the merrymanisms of forechecking and puck movement. Although I'll admit it's pretty tough to argue with bulletproof logic such as "Marchand and Sobotka will do fine", "Morris, despite being a turnstile, has been awesome at dumping the puck", and my favorite "Kessel was hurt and wouldn't have contributed but Krejci is just playing bad and that's why his HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE start to the season is excused."

The Bruins are fucking terrible. They traded away their best player for draft picks, they can't score, they have no help on the way when they would have had Kessel coming in to help out... they suck and anyone who likes what is going on sucks. The Bruins support just reeks of apathy. I want the Bruins to improve, not regress. But hey, I'm glad you're happy with a second round exit as the franchise's ceiling.
Image

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
User avatar
buconvict
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 903
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:11 pm
Karma: 47

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby bceagles24 on Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:55 pm

The only highlight of Kessel that was shown was him being absolutely rocked,and getting up slowly. Anyways the B's are beat up with injuries. You don't seem to want to think that. Now Krecji is out with Swine Flu. So our 4 lines will look like this:

Sturm - Bergy - Wheeler
Recchi - Sobotka - Ryder
Lehtonen - Marchand - Bitz
Thornton - Begin - Whitfield

That is scary. I love Lehtoten,but his best production starts in 2 years IMO. Massive potential,but if healthy Whitfield,Lehtonen,and one of Soby or Marchand are replaced by Savard,Lucic,and Krecji. Tell me that doesnm't make a difference. Kessel wouldn't help that much right now IMO. He was too streaky,and the team isn't going to be that good with all those guys out. No one should complain until atleast one of them is back.
bceagles24
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1041
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:32 am
Karma: 213

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:10 pm

Kessel was probably the 4th or 5th best player last year depending on how you view Krejci (Chara, Savard, and Thomas being ahead). Hockey is about a lot more than goals.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall
 
Posts: 5575
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:28 pm
Karma: 82

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:30 pm

flyingelvii wrote:Kessel was probably the 4th or 5th best player last year depending on how you view Krejci (Chara, Savard, and Thomas being ahead). Hockey is about a lot more than goals.


Really? They count other things in the score? WHO KNEW!
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 32277
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2446

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:23 pm

Yea last time I checked, you have to keep the puck out of the back of your own net to win. Again wait until they get healthy to jump the gun on this team.

twballgame9 wrote:
flyingelvii wrote:Kessel was probably the 4th or 5th best player last year depending on how you view Krejci (Chara, Savard, and Thomas being ahead). Hockey is about a lot more than goals.


Really? They count other things in the score? WHO KNEW!
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16683
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Karma: -273

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:21 pm

buconvict wrote:Anyone else see Kessel's first game back the other night? Looked like Pavel Bure. He'll score more goals than anyone on the Bruins, even after a 14 game head start.

I love how I bring no logic to the table just because I disagree with the merrymanisms of forechecking and puck movement. Although I'll admit it's pretty tough to argue with bulletproof logic such as "Marchand and Sobotka will do fine", "Morris, despite being a turnstile, has been awesome at dumping the puck", and my favorite "Kessel was hurt and wouldn't have contributed but Krejci is just playing bad and that's why his HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE start to the season is excused."

The Bruins are fucking terrible. They traded away their best player for draft picks, they can't score, they have no help on the way when they would have had Kessel coming in to help out... they suck and anyone who likes what is going on sucks. The Bruins support just reeks of apathy. I want the Bruins to improve, not regress. But hey, I'm glad you're happy with a second round exit as the franchise's ceiling.

Again, and I'll alls cap and space it this time so you actually see it:

WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE TO KEEP KESSEL, STAY UNDER THE CAP, CARRY 13 FORWARDS, 7 DEFENSEMEN, AND 2 GOALIES AND MAKE THE TEAM BETTER?

Call us merrymen all you want but so far all you have done is bitch while others are trying to have a rational discussion of what and why the Bruins did what they did and what they could have done instead. Again, under your former scenario (keep Kobasew, don't sign Begin nor Morris), I'm still looking for $1.5 million in cap space and remember that AHL players cost $550k AAV. I would love to hear you give a rational answer to this. Sadly, you have been far from any rationale in this thread.

Edit: And I'm abso-fucking-lutely giddy about Tuukka's 2 year, ~$1.2 million AAV extension. Now if only Thomas can suffer a career-ending injury...
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall
 
Posts: 5575
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:28 pm
Karma: 82

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:12 pm

Hasn't been Thomas's fault so far, Rask signing was a good move though.
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16683
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Karma: -273

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:45 pm

eepstein0 wrote:Hasn't been Thomas's fault so far, Rask signing was a good move though.

I'm well aware of that but I just think that whenever you can sign a 35 year-old who can't be bought out for $5 million AAV coming off of his only good season ever, you have to beat the GM who signed him over the head with whatever blunt object you can get your hands on.

I will say that I do have an irrational hatred for Tim Thomas and specifically his flopping style, such as in the goal Montreal just scored. So I probably sound like BUC when I discuss him.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall
 
Posts: 5575
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:28 pm
Karma: 82

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:55 pm

eepstein0 wrote:Do you even watch the Bruins? I live in DC and I bet I somehow see more games. Savard has been out, Lucic has been out, Krecji has swine flu. I think you might want to hold out assessment here until the Bruins have somewhere near a full-team. Take 3 of the top 6 forwards off of an NHL team and see how well they do for an extended period of time. It's not that Kessel dragged anyone down necessarily, people just don't like him in the locker room. Toronto is going to awful with or without him this year.



Endless Mike wrote:So if Kessel was such a clubhouse cancer who makes everyone around him suck, when can we expect this team to play well now that his reign of terror is over?

PS- Kessel was on the team last season and they seemed to play pretty well despite his best efforts to crush everyone's spirits.


If I didn't watch the Bruins, I wouldn't be upset about the fire sale 7 games into the season. Funny that the guy who wants to dump players for draft picks 7 games into the friggin season is now telling me to wait and see.
User avatar
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 8489
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:02 pm
Karma: 1613

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:33 am

I got a free beer betting against the Bruins in OT tonight. They are terrible.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 32277
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2446

PreviousNext

Return to Kelley Rink

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Untitled document