Bruins Weirdos

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby buconvict on Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:22 pm

ryfarls wrote:
buconvict wrote:
flyingelvii wrote:Have you ever watched Wides play? Judging from your constant ripping on him, I'm going to go with no. He is probably a top 20 defenseman in the NHL. Boyes is probably a top 20 forward in the league. Read any hockey writer and it's pretty much consensus that the trade was a win-win. Boyes fit the Blues open system and Wides fits Juliens defensive minded system. Please enlighten me as to why Wides is such a bad player aside from adding "FUCKING" to his middle name.

I'm going to assume the same with Aaron Ward. He's not that good anymore and Morris, who is better than Ward and has been adept on the PP, is a lot better.



I like Dennis Wideman. I just don't think that trading a guy who scored 40 goals last season for a 2nd line defenseman is a good trade. Frankly, I can't imagine anyone in the world would think that.



Brad boyes
gp g a p +-
2006-07 BOS 62 13 21 34 -17
2006-07 STL 19 4 8 12 0
2007-08 STL 82 43 22 65 1
2008-09 STL 82 33 39 72 -20

look at boyes' stat line in his last season with boston. he wasnt exactly lighting it up then. he didnt fit well in juliens system. Boyes' -20 last year isnt that appealing either. Wideman has easily been our 2nd best defenseman behind chara. hes been solid defensively and probably even better than chara at making the outlet passes out of the zone. its clearly been a win win for both the teams and the players.



Brad Boyes was on a shitty team last year, hence the -20. He also wasn't fully developed as a player. Also, Dennis Wideman is a second line defenseman. He isn't a starter. I cannot sit here and agree with you that it was a smart personnel decision to trade a player who has scored 76 goals in the past two seasons for a second line defenseman.
Image

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
User avatar
buconvict
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 903
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:11 pm
Karma: 47

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby buconvict on Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:27 pm

flyingelvii wrote:You apparently missed the trade where the Bruins picked up 25-year old Dan Paille for a 3rd round pick and a conditional 4th. Are you guys fine now. Paille is basically Kobasew Lite. And he's off the books next year. Are the B's still in fire sale mode?



So they got Kobasew-lite, and that's supposed to make me feel better, after you've spent the last 72 hours telling me how bad Kobasew is? Also, he's off the books in a year? I'm supposed to be happy that the Bruins traded a top 90 draft pick for some third line, worse than the guy they traded away, player who won't even be here in two years? That's a move worth applauding?

I don't doubt you're a good fan, as you're obviously are up to date with transactions, what's going on in Providence, etc. But you are realllllllly giving way too much credit to a front office that has, quite frankly, significantly downgraded last year's team and seems to have no plan to get back to where they were.
Image

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
User avatar
buconvict
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 903
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:11 pm
Karma: 47

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:50 pm

buconvict wrote:
ryfarls wrote:
buconvict wrote:
flyingelvii wrote:Have you ever watched Wides play? Judging from your constant ripping on him, I'm going to go with no. He is probably a top 20 defenseman in the NHL. Boyes is probably a top 20 forward in the league. Read any hockey writer and it's pretty much consensus that the trade was a win-win. Boyes fit the Blues open system and Wides fits Juliens defensive minded system. Please enlighten me as to why Wides is such a bad player aside from adding "FUCKING" to his middle name.

I'm going to assume the same with Aaron Ward. He's not that good anymore and Morris, who is better than Ward and has been adept on the PP, is a lot better.



I like Dennis Wideman. I just don't think that trading a guy who scored 40 goals last season for a 2nd line defenseman is a good trade. Frankly, I can't imagine anyone in the world would think that.



Brad boyes
gp g a p +-
2006-07 BOS 62 13 21 34 -17
2006-07 STL 19 4 8 12 0
2007-08 STL 82 43 22 65 1
2008-09 STL 82 33 39 72 -20

look at boyes' stat line in his last season with boston. he wasnt exactly lighting it up then. he didnt fit well in juliens system. Boyes' -20 last year isnt that appealing either. Wideman has easily been our 2nd best defenseman behind chara. hes been solid defensively and probably even better than chara at making the outlet passes out of the zone. its clearly been a win win for both the teams and the players.



Brad Boyes was on a shitty team last year, hence the -20. He also wasn't fully developed as a player. Also, Dennis Wideman is a second line defenseman. He isn't a starter. I cannot sit here and agree with you that it was a smart personnel decision to trade a player who has scored 76 goals in the past two seasons for a second line defenseman.

Just because you play on the proverbial "second-line" on defense doesn't mean you're a 3 or 4. You typically don't play your top defensemen together unless the situation necessitates it (late game, need a hold, etc.). Wides is a solid 2, one who's been around the top 20 in goals scored for defensemen over the past two years. Second-line means nothing, at least to me, aside from saying that Julien doesn't want to play a combo of Morris, Hunwick, Ference, and Stuart. And since he moved to wing, Boyes has always had the reputation of a horrid defensive player. I haven't watched any Blues games over the past couple of years but from what I hear, he still sucks at that aspect. Kessel had that rep too but he's improved greatly over the past couple of years. All depends on dedication.

Regarding the other point, I've never said Chuck is a bad hockey player. Solid but unspectacular. Certainly not a $2.3 million AAV player. Paille is off the books next year. Kobasew still has another year after that. The Bruins also have Stuart, Savard, Rask, Wheeler, Sobotka, and a few others coming off of its books. It needs all the cap space it can get for next year's offseason. Sure they've downgraded a little but it's not like they replaced a legitimate top 6 forward with a bottom 6 guy. They replaced a 3rd liner with a 3rd/4th liner. Not a big drop off in my opinion, especially considering the benefit when looking towards next season. I could care less about draft picks (besides Toronto's...that's a top 10 minimum). The B's are awash in them.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall
 
Posts: 5567
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:28 pm
Karma: 117

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:59 pm

I stole this from somebody else but this is what the two trades that were just made netted:

Kobasew + 2010 3rd + conditional 2010 4th

for

Paille + 2011 2nd

This doesn't include the cap savings this year as well as the fact that Paille's off the cap next year with all the RFA's and Savvy coming up.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall
 
Posts: 5567
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:28 pm
Karma: 117

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:29 am

flyingelvii wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:
flyingelvii wrote:You apparently missed the trade where the Bruins picked up 25-year old Dan Paille for a 3rd round pick and a conditional 4th. Are you guys fine now. Paille is basically Kobasew Lite. And he's off the books next year. Are the B's still in fire sale mode?


I didn't miss it. Yes, they're still in fire sale mode unless Paille is going to make up for all the goals they've traded away so far.

And I love how after tearing down BC guy Chuck Kobasew throughout this thread, you tell me that everything is okay because they traded for "Kobasew Lite".

I could care less that Kobasew went to BC when discussing this trade. I hope Kobasew does well but ultimately it's about me wanting the Bruins to do well. I cheer for the laundry and just because some player went to BC doesn't mean that he should be touted as something more than he is. Same reason I have no problem with the Eaves buyout. Eaves is always injured and, frankly, just sucks now. I hope he does well in Detroit but he was nowhere near worth his contract.


You missed the point of my post. Is Daniel Paille making up for the 40+ goals they just traded away?
User avatar
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 8489
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:02 pm
Karma: 1613

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:22 pm

I didn't miss the point. I ignored it because the two trades have nothing to do with each other. They were made under completely different situations. They had no leverage (cap space) in Kessel's case and his demands were crazy (he's not a 5.4 AAV guy yet). Kobasew got traded more for next year's cap space but I'm guessing they can account for at least 90 percent of his production and added defensive presence.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall
 
Posts: 5567
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:28 pm
Karma: 117

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby Endless Mike on Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:15 pm

It doesn't matter if they were both made under different circumstances. You have to take a look at the end result, and the end result looks like a team that's going to score a lot less goals. They also look like a team that cares more about shedding salary than staying competitive. I guess they woke up and realized they're the Bruins again.
User avatar
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 8489
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:02 pm
Karma: 1613

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby buconvict on Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:44 pm

flyingelvii wrote:I didn't miss the point. I ignored it because the two trades have nothing to do with each other. They were made under completely different situations. They had no leverage (cap space) in Kessel's case and his demands were crazy (he's not a 5.4 AAV guy yet). Kobasew got traded more for next year's cap space but I'm guessing they can account for at least 90 percent of his production and added defensive presence.


That's funny, I could've sworn he signed a contract worth even more than that 4 weeks ago.
Image

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
User avatar
buconvict
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 903
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:11 pm
Karma: 47

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby Endless Mike on Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:35 pm

Remember when the Bruins used to score a shit-ton of goals and get into a fight every game? I miss that and it was less than a year ago. :bag
User avatar
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 8489
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:02 pm
Karma: 1613

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby buconvict on Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:40 pm

Endless Mike wrote:Remember when the Bruins used to score a shit-ton of goals and get into a fight every game? I miss that and it was less than a year ago. :bag


Ya, but who wants goals and fighting when you can have non-stop forechecking an defensive puck movement! :chewbanka
Image

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
User avatar
buconvict
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 903
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:11 pm
Karma: 47

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby flyingelvii on Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:24 pm

BUC-

Herw's some math for you. 27 miilion/5 years equals a 5.4 AAV contract.

And the B's should still have plenty of fights still. Problem is that Looch and Thornton are hurt. The two trades did nothing to that identity (actually Paille is a pest and probably adds to it) but keep overreacting.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall
 
Posts: 5567
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:28 pm
Karma: 117

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby buconvict on Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:03 pm

flyingelvii wrote:BUC-

Herw's some math for you. 27 miilion/5 years equals a 5.4 AAV contract.



So now you're saying that he is a 5.4 AAV player? I thought you said he wasn't.
Image

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
User avatar
buconvict
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 903
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:11 pm
Karma: 47

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby bceagles24 on Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:17 pm

There is talk that contract talks with Savvy aren't going well,and he could be moved at the deadline. Apparently he wants 6.5 million,and the B's won't do it. If they trade him they will be stacked in the next 2 drafts. Taylor Hall all the way.
bceagles24
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1041
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:32 am
Karma: 213

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby Endless Mike on Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:06 pm

bceagles24 wrote:There is talk that contract talks with Savvy aren't going well,and he could be moved at the deadline. Apparently he wants 6.5 million,and the B's won't do it. If they trade him they will be stacked in the next 2 drafts. Taylor Hall all the way.


They'll be stacked with young players who will want to get paid so they'll have another fire sale. :dildodog
User avatar
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 8489
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:02 pm
Karma: 1613

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:28 am

I haven't swen anything o the like about Savvy. Unless you link something I'm assuming it's a BS HFBoards rumor. KPD's new agenda now that Kessel's gone?

And regarding Kessel's contract, just because he makes that much doesn't mean he's worth that much, which if you have understood my points, would have picked up on. For example, Kobasew isn't worth 2.3 million AAV but that's what he makes. One's salary doesn't truly gauge one's value. Try again.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall
 
Posts: 5567
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:28 pm
Karma: 117

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:19 pm

Still wondering when these draft picks are going to make up for the 40+ goals that have been flushed away.

I will see you guys at the payroll flexibility parade. :pickle
User avatar
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 8489
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:02 pm
Karma: 1613

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:52 pm

For this year it's more like 15 goals flushed away. The most likely person to get traded to get Kessel under the cap was Kobasew, followed closely by Ference. Say that Kobasew scores 20 (about his career norm), Ference puts in 5, his replacement puts in 2, and Kessel comes back very strong, stays healthy and puts up 35 goals from December on. 15 goals over the course of a season is not a greatly significant number.

Under the current scenario, I'd guess that Marchand/Sobotka/whoever replaces puts up 15 goals for the season. Still only a loss of about 20 goals through 82 games. Yeah, they probably won't score the most goals in the NHL this year but they won't exactly be the Wild under their old regime.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall
 
Posts: 5567
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:28 pm
Karma: 117

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby buconvict on Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:37 pm

flyingelvii wrote:I haven't swen anything o the like about Savvy. Unless you link something I'm assuming it's a BS HFBoards rumor. KPD's new agenda now that Kessel's gone?

And regarding Kessel's contract, just because he makes that much doesn't mean he's worth that much, which if you have understood my points, would have picked up on. For example, Kobasew isn't worth 2.3 million AAV but that's what he makes. One's salary doesn't truly gauge one's value. Try again.



And anyone with a secondary education is smart enough to know that you are worth whatever the market will bear, which in Kessel's case is 5.4 million dollars.

Seriously, you need to answer EM's question. What happens if the Bruins draft Taylor Hall? Then what? The B's have him for three years and then dump him for more picks later? The Bruins are the NHL's version of the Oakland Athletics? Will they keep him like they kept their previous #1 draft pick, franchise and MVP winning center Joe Thornton?
Image

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
User avatar
buconvict
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 903
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:11 pm
Karma: 47

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:07 pm

buconvict wrote:
flyingelvii wrote:I haven't swen anything o the like about Savvy. Unless you link something I'm assuming it's a BS HFBoards rumor. KPD's new agenda now that Kessel's gone?

And regarding Kessel's contract, just because he makes that much doesn't mean he's worth that much, which if you have understood my points, would have picked up on. For example, Kobasew isn't worth 2.3 million AAV but that's what he makes. One's salary doesn't truly gauge one's value. Try again.



And anyone with a secondary education is smart enough to know that you are worth whatever the market will bear, which in Kessel's case is 5.4 million dollars.

Seriously, you need to answer EM's question. What happens if the Bruins draft Taylor Hall? Then what? The B's have him for three years and then dump him for more picks later? The Bruins are the NHL's version of the Oakland Athletics? Will they keep him like they kept their previous #1 draft pick, franchise and MVP winning center Joe Thornton?

Please conveniently ignore the recent extensions to Dennis Wideman, David Krejci, and Milan Lucic when discussing the Bruins not keeping its good young talent. Different players than Kessel but I personally feel that Krejci has the ability to become a franchise center and was extremely happy when they locked him up first in the off-season.

Again, regarding Thornton, the analogy sucks is not even close to being applicable because Peter Chiarelli is not Harry Sinden or Mike O'Connnell.

And the market didn't bear the Kessel signing. Brian Burke did. From what I read about the whole situation is that nobody would have come within 500k-1 million of that.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall
 
Posts: 5567
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:28 pm
Karma: 117

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby bceagles24 on Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:46 pm

flyingelvii wrote:I haven't swen anything o the like about Savvy. Unless you link something I'm assuming it's a BS HFBoards rumor. KPD's new agenda now that Kessel's gone?

And regarding Kessel's contract, just because he makes that much doesn't mean he's worth that much, which if you have understood my points, would have picked up on. For example, Kobasew isn't worth 2.3 million AAV but that's what he makes. One's salary doesn't truly gauge one's value. Try again.

Pierre Lebrun said it on ESPNews the other day.
bceagles24
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1041
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:32 am
Karma: 213

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:03 am

flyingelvii wrote:Again, regarding Thornton, the analogy sucks is not even close to being applicable because Peter Chiarelli is not Harry Sinden or Mike O'Connnell.


Didn't look like them last year but he's doing a great impression this season.
User avatar
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 8489
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:02 pm
Karma: 1613

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby buconvict on Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:57 pm

flyingelvii wrote: Bleep bloop Chiarelli roolz blurp bloop Krejci is better bleep blorp Wideman is awesome bloop Lucic forechecks blorp

And the market didn't bear the Kessel signing. Brian Burke did. From what I read about the whole situation is that nobody would have come within 500k-1 million of that.



Brian Burke IS THE MARKET. Why is that so hard for you to admit?

And the Lucic lovefest is sickening. Yeah, he's good. He beat up Komasarik and pumped up the crowd. He's a "grinder". But he's also a maniac who punches holes in DJ booths at T's pub when they won't let him and Bergeron sing karaoke and who takes personal days off because he got an ice girl pregnant.

He ain't Cam Neely.
Image

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
User avatar
buconvict
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 903
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:11 pm
Karma: 47

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:23 pm

buconvict wrote:
flyingelvii wrote: Bleep bloop Chiarelli roolz blurp bloop Krejci is better bleep blorp Wideman is awesome bloop Lucic forechecks blorp

And the market didn't bear the Kessel signing. Brian Burke did. From what I read about the whole situation is that nobody would have come within 500k-1 million of that.



Brian Burke IS THE MARKET. Why is that so hard for you to admit?

And the Lucic lovefest is sickening. Yeah, he's good. He beat up Komasarik and pumped up the crowd. He's a "grinder". But he's also a maniac who punches holes in DJ booths at T's pub when they won't let him and Bergeron sing karaoke and who takes personal days off because he got an ice girl pregnant.

He ain't Cam Neely.

Please shit on Krejci now. How is he undeserving of his money? That undeserving fucker plays a complete game at the center position. Damn him and Bergeron for being a reason why Savard may be expendable at the end of the year. Damn him to hell.

Great Lucic is crazy and all. But if it wasn't for him creating space for Savvy and Kessel they wouldn't have approached the numbers they did. Now he's not the sole reason but he was very important in facilitating the scoring for that line. Just because he grinds doesn't mean he's not top 6 talent. Guy's got some skills and can lay down the law too. I could care less about his personal life so long as it wasn't the reason he's on LTIR (though that's Chiarelli's fault too).

Edit: Can you please also defend Barry Zito and Mike Hampton's contracts as being fair market value as well?
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall
 
Posts: 5567
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:28 pm
Karma: 117

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:33 pm

So Phil Kessel is Barry Zito/Mike Hampton? Wow.
User avatar
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 8489
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:02 pm
Karma: 1613

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:00 pm

Endless Mike wrote:So Phil Kessel is Barry Zito/Mike Hampton? Wow.

Yes. That is exactly what I was trying to say. Whenever you compare people they must be similar in every facet. Fucking christ you are being absurdly obtuse and trying to make me out to be retarded. Sometimes the market is skewed by one person. In this case it's Burke. In those cases it was Brian Sabean and Dan O'Dowd, respectively.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall
 
Posts: 5567
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:28 pm
Karma: 117

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:15 am

flyingelvii wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:So Phil Kessel is Barry Zito/Mike Hampton? Wow.

Yes. That is exactly what I was trying to say. Whenever you compare people they must be similar in every facet. Fucking christ you are being absurdly obtuse and trying to make me out to be retarded. Sometimes the market is skewed by one person. In this case it's Burke. In those cases it was Brian Sabean and Dan O'Dowd, respectively.


It's not hard to make you look retarded right now. You're a friggin Bruins Merryman. Would you say the best a Bruins fan should expect is the second round of the playoffs? Rah rah rah! :pickle :elephant :pepper2
User avatar
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 8489
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:02 pm
Karma: 1613

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:35 am

I really thought people would have more to say on this subject.

We need a term similar to hoops weirdos for those that are passionately into the Bruins. Puckheads? Date rapists? I'm not good with names...
NorthEndEagle wrote:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall
 
Posts: 9556
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:43 pm
Location: Cat hair pee fire
Karma: 2672

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:29 am

Endless Mike wrote:
flyingelvii wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:So Phil Kessel is Barry Zito/Mike Hampton? Wow.

Yes. That is exactly what I was trying to say. Whenever you compare people they must be similar in every facet. Fucking christ you are being absurdly obtuse and trying to make me out to be retarded. Sometimes the market is skewed by one person. In this case it's Burke. In those cases it was Brian Sabean and Dan O'Dowd, respectively.


It's not hard to make you look retarded right now. You're a friggin Bruins Merryman. Would you say the best a Bruins fan should expect is the second round of the playoffs? Rah rah rah! :pickle :elephant :pepper2

I love how anytime someone disagrees with an opinion that multiple people have they are labeled a merryman.

You haven't heard me speak of Tim Thomas or his albatross of a contract. The Bruins should expect to go to the Stanley Cup. They would have had a good chance last year if Tim Thomas could control a fucking rebound on a dump in shot. But no, he couldn't. And now the Bruins are stuck with his 35 year old ass making $5 million AAV without the option to buyout or move him without his permission. All the while, they have the number 2 goalie prospect waiting in the wings. I hated that contract at the time and hate it even more as the days go by.

As I said earlier, I don't completely like the Kessel deal as I would've preferred some players coming back but I understood it in that the Bruins had about two dollars in cap space and the only player that would've made that trade acceptable is if Schenn came back, which wasn't happening. Nobody else was offering a package like Burke's. Chia played his hand, probably overplayed it, was backed into a corner, and did the best he could without completely hampering the team (i.e. dumping Kobasew, Ference, and someone else and leaving the team with a significant hole in defense). Not ideal, but I understand where it was coming from.

I don't really have a problem when a 3rd line winger is traded for cap space and a guy who can play 3rd/4th line minutes while guys who have nothing left to prove in the AHL are called up. Sobotka was a solid 3rd/4th liner in the playoffs two years ago when they The B's have amassed a lot of expensive mid-level talent and it has prevented them from potentially keeping top end talent (say hello to Marco Sturm, Andrew Ference, and formerly Chuck Kobasew). But from what I'm gathering here, there's something I missed about Kobasew. He's a top line talent that you just don't dump because you have about 30 important players up for free agency next year and decent prospects in the AHL that can account for 80-90% of his production.

And I apologize for liking most of the moves the FO has made over the past couple of years. For fuck's sake, they went from an 8th seed to a team that almost won the President's Trophy. They're doing something right.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall
 
Posts: 5567
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:28 pm
Karma: 117

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby buconvict on Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:08 pm

flyingelvii wrote:
buconvict wrote:
flyingelvii wrote: Bleep bloop Chiarelli roolz blurp bloop Krejci is better bleep blorp Wideman is awesome bloop Lucic forechecks blorp

And the market didn't bear the Kessel signing. Brian Burke did. From what I read about the whole situation is that nobody would have come within 500k-1 million of that.



Brian Burke IS THE MARKET. Why is that so hard for you to admit?

And the Lucic lovefest is sickening. Yeah, he's good. He beat up Komasarik and pumped up the crowd. He's a "grinder". But he's also a maniac who punches holes in DJ booths at T's pub when they won't let him and Bergeron sing karaoke and who takes personal days off because he got an ice girl pregnant.

He ain't Cam Neely.

Please shit on Krejci now. How is he undeserving of his money? That undeserving fucker plays a complete game at the center position. Damn him and Bergeron for being a reason why Savard may be expendable at the end of the year. Damn him to hell.

Great Lucic is crazy and all. But if it wasn't for him creating space for Savvy and Kessel they wouldn't have approached the numbers they did. Now he's not the sole reason but he was very important in facilitating the scoring for that line. Just because he grinds doesn't mean he's not top 6 talent. Guy's got some skills and can lay down the law too. I could care less about his personal life so long as it wasn't the reason he's on LTIR (though that's Chiarelli's fault too).

Edit: Can you please also defend Barry Zito and Mike Hampton's contracts as being fair market value as well?



Just like the Athletics when they got rid of Giambi, Tejeda, Hudson ad Mulder because they had Crosby, Cust, and Blanton to "replace them", the Bruins can replace Savard and Kessel with Bergeron and Marchant. Incredible.

You're a merryman because you are defending indefensible roster moves with company lines. If you honestly think that Krejci is worth 3.5 but Kessel is not worth 5, then I'm sorry that I bothered to argue with the village fool. If you'll excuse me, I'm off to the Celtics game to cheer for a team that STRENGTHENS ITS TEAM during the offseason and isn't about to trade their matured draft pick who wants to be paid what he's worth for another draft pick in the future. They might actually, oh I don't know... keep the guy.
Image

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
User avatar
buconvict
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 903
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:11 pm
Karma: 47

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:49 pm

MarchanD/Sobotka is replacing Kobasew. That's all I said. I believe that both Bergeron and Krejci do have the ability to replace Savvy after the season. I apologize for being wary of giving 32 year-olds large contracts (I don't think I commented on this but since I apparently said a winger can replace Savvy, fuck it, I'm sure people will disagree with me here for whatever reason). Bergeron was well on his way to becoming a top-line center before Randy Jones nearly broke his neck two years ago. He's looked very solid this year. Krejci is probably more of a number two but I feel he has a ton of room to grow. The one thing the Bruins aren't missing, both in the NHL and AHL, is center depth. Hamill waiting in the wings and Colborne is lighting up the NCAAs again. That's one area where the B's are at a strength.

IMO if the Bruins kept Kessel at $5.4 AAV, with the cap space they'd have to move around, the team would've been worse. Sorry for having a basic understanding of the salary cap and the fact that teams don't always have the ability to keep everyone. It's not a soft cap like the NBA. It's a fucking hard cap. You can't spend over the cap amount. There's no luxury tax. There's no Larry Bird Exception. There's no wiggle room. I don't know what Oakland has to do with this. It's a shitty analogy because they couldn't afford those guys while other teams could pay them whatever they wanted to because MLB doesn't have a cap. The Bruins could afford Kessel, they just didn't have the cap room to get him.

Now I'm curious because after all this debate I'm the only one who has given a reason as why the Bruins weren't wholly wrong for trading Kessel. Please enlighten me with what the Bruins should have done in order to keep Kessel (roster moves and all that jazz). I am legitimately curious if you comprehend the situation. This is coming off as snarky as hell but so far the only argument I've seen is that the Bruins should have signed Kessel and...well, that's it. Make me eat crow.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall
 
Posts: 5567
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:28 pm
Karma: 117

PreviousNext

Return to Kelley Rink

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Untitled document