Bruins Weirdos

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Bruins Weirdos

Postby twballgame9 on Mon May 12, 2014 1:37 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:To recap, your side of the argument was three GIFs and "Because I said so!" Just want to get that on record.

My side of the argument is that Marchand sucks and has been awful in the playoffs (and that I agreed with your anti-Krecji agenda as well). The rest has just been entertainment.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon May 12, 2014 1:39 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:tedwardo's punch drunk. elvii has him on the ropes...

Your commentary is the best thing about this thread. I'm picturing a drunk Larry Merchant.

If campion were 50 years younger, he'd kick easterbrook's ass.

This is a fantastic reference.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Mon May 12, 2014 1:43 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:To recap, your side of the argument was three GIFs and "Because I said so!" Just want to get that on record.

My side of the argument is that Marchand sucks and has been awful in the playoffs (and that I agreed with your anti-Krecji agenda as well). The rest has just been entertainment.

Ah, yes. We've reached the point where Teddy says this has been a ruse the entire time. This reads about as well as Spaz's media guide bio.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon May 12, 2014 2:09 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Ah, yes. We've reached the point where Teddy says this has been a ruse the entire time. This reads about as well as Spaz's media guide bio.

No, not a ruse the entire time. Just the parts where you started arguments about numbers and shit. The Marchand sucks thing was a legitimate statement at the time.

I see we've reached the point where you make failed, canned, obnoxious and recycled attempts at scathing sarcasm...er wait, that's been all you have posted of substance from the beginning.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon May 12, 2014 2:11 pm

P&S, my only ruse is to keep you wound up until we reach 100 pages.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Mon May 12, 2014 2:24 pm

The entertainment isn't one-sided. As noted, I continue with my assertion that you're a dumbass so please keep it up and chasing me around the board. Claver was really onto something with the Michael Sam thing.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon May 12, 2014 2:26 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:The entertainment isn't one-sided. As noted, I continue with my assertion that you're a dumbass so please keep it up and chasing me around the board. Claver was really onto something with the Michael Sam thing.

Your VORP is dropping.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon May 12, 2014 2:56 pm

given the first unread post functionality was destroyed by a COWARD the only thing that could make this thread worse is if maroonandgold paid it a visit
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Mon May 12, 2014 3:30 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:given the first unread post functionality was destroyed by a COWARD the only thing that could make this thread worse is if maroonandgold paid it a visit

Is this a challenge?
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon May 12, 2014 3:44 pm

i assume he doesn't much care about the providence hockey team
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Mon May 12, 2014 3:49 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i assume he doesn't much care about the providence hockey team

Maybe he's a fan of the Fort Saskatchewan Traders. :shrug

angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon May 12, 2014 9:19 pm

Lucic is pretty tough when he's going after someone he has 60 lbs on
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Mon May 12, 2014 10:00 pm

Ah yes, sanctimony coming from a fan of a team that employs Dan Carcillo and Brian Boyle.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon May 12, 2014 10:10 pm

Hashtag
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue May 13, 2014 7:01 am

But to channel angrydick i would enjoy, Lucic taking a headshot that sends to him an early reitrement
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue May 13, 2014 8:44 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Lucic is pretty tough when he's going after someone he has 60 lbs on

It's free license when you play the Habs. They're dirty as shit but they won't fight. So when they take gloves-on right crosses from guys twice their size after a cheap shot trip of Chara, no one really feels bad for them.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue May 13, 2014 9:02 am

I am not sure how Boyle gets equated to Lucic, other than he is someone who has no chance fighting against the heavyweights in the league. The difference is, in stark contrast to Lucic--whose last fair fight (from a size perspective) resulted in him getting knocked the fuck out on his skates and having his nose broken by Colton Orr, while he begged the linesman to intervene--Boyle, for the good of his team, has taken on absolutely hopeless battles against Chara, Neil, Gudas, Regehr and Prust without a complaint. As far as Carcillo goes, no one I have ever heard has claimed he is an honorable tough guy (as Bruins fans do with respect to the Serbian Girl Puncher). With that said, when you consider that the last two Rangers playoff runs were severely impacted by vicious cheap shots from opponents, I am happy to have that nuclear option in our back pocket and I would love to see Carcillo go knee on knee against Marchand, Lucic or Thornton the Racist Cheap Shot Artist.

With respect to last night's game, the aging Bruins look tired. Chara looks slow--like he did at the end of last year's playoff run--and amongst the younger guys, Dougie Hamilton looks like he forgot how to play. The Bruins should win Game 7 and all things being equal, I think they should get by against either the Rangers or the Penguins, but having watched the Hawks, Ducks and Kings pretty closely over the last couple of weeks, I am fairly certain that any of those three will have way too much speed for the Bruins. Even the Wild look faster.

Another solid performance by Gionta--he was the catalyst for the first goal and he broke up a few good Bruins chances and laid a real nice hit on Torey Krug that caused him to miss a shift (it was probably a treat for Gionta to crash into someone who is smaller than him).

I expect disappointment tonight in Pittsburgh because it's the New York Rangers and I think Toronto is going to do everything it can to get Cindy Crosby into the conference finals. It will be interesting to see if Orpik can go for Pittsburgh because Bortuzzo has been beyond awful and Maatta has only been slightly better. Martin has been averaging 27 minutes of ice time per night in the playoffs--including a 30 minute effort a couple of games ago--and his legs looked dead on Sunday. Letang's averaging 25 minutes a night, but with the way Kreider has been abusing him, it would be better if he only got twenty minutes. Scuderi apparently has some "lower body injury" that limited him to 15 minutes on Sunday. If they can only rely on him for that little time, they will need Fleury to stand on his head and the Lundqvist to choke because Martin-Letang, Niskanen-Maatta with Scudering subbing in with each pairing as needed is a recipe for disaster.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue May 13, 2014 9:13 am

I don't think the Bruins look tired, they are just much slower. The Habs have the advantage in the first 30 mins of every game; the Bruins have dominated the back end of every game because they play more than 11 players. The Habs have looked gassed in the third period of every game.

The Bruins also aren't very old other than Chara and Iginla - and Thornton. With Kelly and Seidenberg out, the entire rest of the roster is 30 or under. They have three 23 year old forwards getting a lot of minutes, and their best defenseman in this series is 20.

Habs are just a bad matchup and the Bruins have been missing the net.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue May 13, 2014 9:55 am

While its true that outside of Chara and Boychuk, the defense is young--I think Chara is the foundation off which the whole Boston game plan rests. He is so big, so strong and eats up so many minutes when he is feeling good that it is like having one and a half All Stars on the ice. When he is healthy and fresh he logs enough minutes to erase the other team's first line and usually half to 2/3 of the second line's shifts. That takes an enormous amount of pressure off the second and third pairings. When he starts to fade it has an enormous impact. He has been averaging north of 25 minutes a night during the playoffs--although Julien smartly sat him for most of the 3rd after it became clear the game was over (only ended up with 21 minutes). Boychuk also looks tired which is probably the product of having to log 22 minutes or so when his historical average has been around 17 minutes. Combine that with the fact that Boston has very few good two way forwards--I have been shocked at how sloppy they have looked in their own end during this series--and it is a compounding problem.

With that said, Bergeron is a stud and his value transcends the 20+ goals and 30-40 assists on the stat sheet. There are only three or four forwards I would consider taking over him at this point--and in a playoff game it might only be one or two.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue May 13, 2014 10:09 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:While its true that outside of Chara and Boychuk, the defense is young--I think Chara is the foundation off which the whole Boston game plan rests. He is so big, so strong and eats up so many minutes when he is feeling good that it is like having one and a half All Stars on the ice. When he is healthy and fresh he logs enough minutes to erase the other team's first line and usually half to 2/3 of the second line's shifts. That takes an enormous amount of pressure off the second and third pairings. When he starts to fade it has an enormous impact. He has been averaging north of 25 minutes a night during the playoffs--although Julien smartly sat him for most of the 3rd after it became clear the game was over (only ended up with 21 minutes). Boychuk also looks tired which is probably the product of having to log 22 minutes or so when his historical average has been around 17 minutes. Combine that with the fact that Boston has very few good two way forwards--I have been shocked at how sloppy they have looked in their own end during this series--and it is a compounding problem.

With that said, Bergeron is a stud and his value transcends the 20+ goals and 30-40 assists on the stat sheet. There are only three or four forwards I would consider taking over him at this point--and in a playoff game it might only be one or two.

I do agree that Chara was off his game last night, may have been tired legs, not sure. I also agree with your opinion of Bergeron.

Last but not least, I agree with the sloppy play observation - bad turnovers and an ineffective PK have been the Bruins achilles in this series. Man up and mistakes are the only way MTL scores (although that could be said about a lot of teams).

Krecji not being able to get the first line set up in the offensive zone isn't helping either. Iginla and Lucic are not as effective in transition, and with Krecji playing poorly it is killing that line.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Tue May 13, 2014 1:21 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:I am not sure how Boyle gets equated to Lucic, other than he is someone who has no chance fighting against the heavyweights in the league. The difference is, in stark contrast to Lucic--whose last fair fight (from a size perspective) resulted in him getting knocked the fuck out on his skates and having his nose broken by Colton Orr, while he begged the linesman to intervene--Boyle, for the good of his team, has taken on absolutely hopeless battles against Chara, Neil, Gudas, Regehr and Prust without a complaint. As far as Carcillo goes, no one I have ever heard has claimed he is an honorable tough guy (as Bruins fans do with respect to the Serbian Girl Puncher). With that said, when you consider that the last two Rangers playoff runs were severely impacted by vicious cheap shots from opponents, I am happy to have that nuclear option in our back pocket and I would love to see Carcillo go knee on knee against Marchand, Lucic or Thornton the Racist Cheap Shot Artist.

I have a problem with the righteous indignation Claver, and most other fans in general, show towards players just because they're on another team. For example, I would kill to have Subban in the black and gold so it annoys me but I'm not going to act like Helen Lovejoy (no relation to that trader Ben) because he pulls some shit in a game. And we'll probably just have to agree to disagree here but I like how Boyle is hopeless against guys he has a six inch reach on. And you may want to look up Lucic's fight card over the past year if you think Colton Orr is the last person who has matched up with him size wise.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue May 13, 2014 1:31 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:I have a problem with the righteous indignation Claver, and most other fans in general, show towards players just because they're on another team. .

wow
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue May 13, 2014 1:39 pm

So what was his comment about Lucic last night (and other ones he's had in a similar vein)? I read it as a comical degree of righteous indignation. Or to put it in other words, panties in a bunch.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue May 13, 2014 1:41 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:I have a problem with the righteous indignation Claver, and most other fans in general, show towards players just because they're on another team. For example, I would kill to have Subban in the black and gold so it annoys me but I'm not going to act like Helen Lovejoy (no relation to that trader Ben) because he pulls some shit in a game. And we'll probably just have to agree to disagree here but I like how Boyle is hopeless against guys he has a six inch reach on. And you may want to look up Lucic's fight card over the past year if you think Colton Orr is the last person who has matched up with him size wise.

Eh disagree. No problem acknowledging Carcillo is a rat.

Edit: For me Lucic is a special case of dislike. So maybe that's what you're picking up on.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Tue May 13, 2014 1:46 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:I have a problem with the righteous indignation Claver, and most other fans in general, show towards players just because they're on another team. For example, I would kill to have Subban in the black and gold so it annoys me but I'm not going to act like Helen Lovejoy (no relation to that trader Ben) because he pulls some shit in a game. And we'll probably just have to agree to disagree here but I like how Boyle is hopeless against guys he has a six inch reach on. And you may want to look up Lucic's fight card over the past year if you think Colton Orr is the last person who has matched up with him size wise.

Eh disagree. No problem acknowledging Carcillo is a rat.

Edit: For me Lucic is a special case of dislike. So maybe that's what you're picking up on.

Oh I'd totally hate him if he didn't play on the team I cheer for. But he does and generally does so successfully. So I'm a willful hypocrite. I just stopped getting outraged on the non-Matt Cooke-esque category players.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to exhume MSL's mother's and Derek Boogaard's corpses to ride the pony on Shea.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue May 13, 2014 3:22 pm

Given the results since MSL's Mom's death, I am considering killing Rick Nash's Mom to see if helps. If you had any brains in your head you'd find Kreji's Mom and stab her in the throat with a fork. And the Boogaard reference was lame. I don't think he suited up enough games for Ranger fans to give a shit--20 or so games total if I am remembering correctly. Personally, I felt a lot sadder when Walt Poddubny died. And Lucic is a cxnt and looking at his dance card I see a lot of middle weights and some terrible results for Lucic when he fights in his own weight class. Hell, Don Cherry said as much when Orr beat the piss out Lucic and all Mike Milbury did was smile and say "I can't say anything" while Tappen looked uncomfortable and Jack Edwards was--for once in his life--at a loss for a homerism when they threw it up to him. But with Lucic, it goes beyond the fact that he is a cxnt on the ice. as you correctly point out every team--or at least most teams have a cxnt on the roster. The difference is that with Lucic, he is also a cxnt in real life--perfectly comfortable knocking his girlfriend out but petrified when confronting a bar patron who was probably only giving away twenty pounds to him--and that puts him in Sean Avery territory.

On a different topic, there really is an art to fighting. A friend of mine directed me to a clip of Darren Langdon fighting Zdeno Chara back when Chara was a member of the Fish Sticks. Now for those of you who have no idea who Langdon is, he was the Rangers enforcer in the mid-90s. He was not particularly strong, not particularly big and did not hit particularly hard. He was, however, very smart and in great shape and was a master of letting his opponent ineffectually punch himself out before beating up his opponent. I should add, this tactic was really only effective against the middle tier goons and Langdon generally got the shit beaten out of him against the Laraques, Worrells, Kings, Twists, etc. I expected that Chara would manhandle him and while Chara did fling him around he also clearly did not know how to throw a punch and the fight eneded with Chara exhausted and Langdon pummeling him until the linesmen jump in. Also saw a clip of Ronnie Stern beating Chara half senseless (again as an Islander). Chara has obviously gotten a hell of a lot better as a fighter or the quality of fighters has gone way down. I am more inclined to think it is the former rather than the latter.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue May 13, 2014 3:45 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Hell, Don Cherry said as much when Orr beat the piss out Lucic and all Mike Milbury did was smile and say "I can't say anything" while Tappen looked uncomfortable and Jack Edwards was--for once in his life--at a loss for a homerism when they threw it up to him.

This was funny.
Last edited by DavidGordonsFoot on Tue May 13, 2014 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue May 13, 2014 3:45 pm

I just assume most pro athletes are babymakers in real life as well, I just have no idea. I make an exception to Dan Paille. You guys should just be happy you don't have the albatross of a Boogaard contract on your books since he was never a good hockey player.

And I have a hard time considering Gadzic, Barch and, to lesser degrees, Nolan and Engelland, middleweights. The only reason Gadzic and Barch are in the league are to fight.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue May 13, 2014 4:34 pm

True, but they aren't heavyweights and the NHL has always had room for those sorts of guys and they have never been considered fearsome. They fight more for the energy boost than to enforce anything. Some other examples off the top of my head of that sort would be Stan Jonathan, Burt Wilson, Eddie Shack, Gary Howatt, Kenny Linseman, Brian Marchment, Matt Barnaby, PJ Stock, Darcy Tucker, etc.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue May 13, 2014 4:59 pm

That goes to the fact that there really aren't any heavyweights out there anymore outside of a handful of guys, generally seem to be Ivies ironically enough, like Parros. Guys have to be like a Prust where they can be useful and burn 10-12 minutes in various capacities. The game is too fast to have a Worrell or Laraque trying to waddle around on the ice. Which reminds me of the time Carbonneau or some other francofone fuck matching Laraque with Lucic in the playoffs one year. Needless to say, that one ended in a Bruins sweep.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Kelley Rink