Bruins Weirdos

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Bruins Weirdos

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu May 08, 2014 8:48 am

The Rangers are dunzo. Kreider gave them a lot more speed through the neutral zone and created a couple of 3 on 1s, but those are useless when Nash either pops the puck up over the glass or rips a slapper so far wide and so hard that it ricochets off the back boards and creates a break the other way.

Rick Nash may be the worst player in the playoffs right now and what is truly terrifying is that Marty St. Louis is the second worst player. They need to fire Sather and blow up this roster after this abortion ends.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu May 08, 2014 8:53 am

St. Louis is playing far worse than Nash

No way McDonagh doesn't have a torn shoulder, he can't wind up for a slapshot
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu May 08, 2014 9:56 am

McDonaugh is definitely hurt. You can tell everytime he shoots and also the cautious way he goes into the corners. It is also telling that Girardi has been forced outside of his steady comfort zone which is leading to mistakes and him tiring and I think it is largely a product of him trying to help McDonaugh.

And Kreider's hand is still fucked up badly. You could tell by his willingness to dish in situations where he would have had the better shot. I just don't think it can take the torque at this point.

If I am the Rangers, I may look to shop The King and am definitely trying to move Nash before his reputation sinks any lower.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu May 08, 2014 12:16 pm

Marty St Louis is Brad Marchand except with talent, so if he is the worst player in the playoffs, he is the second worst.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Thu May 08, 2014 3:07 pm

St Louis has played much much worse than nash. Not even debatable.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu May 08, 2014 3:20 pm

I can't possibly imagine a player playing worse than Marchand through a round and a half. Maybe that backup goalie for Tampa that didn't bother to show up. Marchand has missed at least 4 open nets and has 3-4 turnovers leading to goals in 8 games. Awful doesn't begin to describe his play thus far. Other than Bergeron's defense and faceoffs, that line hasn't given much 5 on 5.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Thu May 08, 2014 11:18 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Marty St Louis is Brad Marchand except with talent, so if he is the worst player in the playoffs, he is the second worst.

Yeah this is retarded on every level outside the fact they're both very small human beings.
Last edited by flyingelvii on Thu May 08, 2014 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu May 08, 2014 11:19 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I can't possibly imagine a player playing worse than Marchand through a round and a half. Maybe that backup goalie for Tampa that didn't bother to show up. Marchand has missed at least 4 open nets and has 3-4 turnovers leading to goals in 8 games. Awful doesn't begin to describe his play thus far. Other than Bergeron's defense and faceoffs, that line hasn't given much 5 on 5.

They were on the ice for three of the goals in the third period in Game 2. All of which were even strength. Marchand had a direct hand in all three. Now if you said Krejci, I would think you were actually watching the games.

Edit: Game2, not 3.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu May 08, 2014 11:28 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:McDonaugh is definitely hurt. You can tell everytime he shoots and also the cautious way he goes into the corners. It is also telling that Girardi has been forced outside of his steady comfort zone which is leading to mistakes and him tiring and I think it is largely a product of him trying to help McDonaugh.

And Kreider's hand is still fucked up badly. You could tell by his willingness to dish in situations where he would have had the better shot. I just don't think it can take the torque at this point.

If I am the Rangers, I may look to shop The King and am definitely trying to move Nash before his reputation sinks any lower.

Lundqvist's new extension kicks in starting next year so I don't think he's going anywhere for a while given the real dollars paid out, cap hit and a full NMC for all eight years, if the source I'm reading is correct.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri May 09, 2014 7:10 am

neither are going anywhere

i guess the latest news explains why st louis has been terrible of late

if i ever see richards on the point of the powerplay again :suicide
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Fri May 09, 2014 8:12 am

im totally fine with nash and lundqvist. think theres a good core

very looking forward to never seeing Richards in a blue jersey again.

I get the awful news on st. louis' family and all - and it could be / probably is affecting his play. but my goodness that trade looks awful right now.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri May 09, 2014 9:08 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I can't possibly imagine a player playing worse than Marchand through a round and a half. Maybe that backup goalie for Tampa that didn't bother to show up. Marchand has missed at least 4 open nets and has 3-4 turnovers leading to goals in 8 games. Awful doesn't begin to describe his play thus far. Other than Bergeron's defense and faceoffs, that line hasn't given much 5 on 5.

They were on the ice for three of the goals in the third period in Game 2. All of which were even strength. Marchand had a direct hand in all three. Now if you said Krejci, I would think you were actually watching the games.

Evidently you forgot the brief moment of his good play too, That happens when a guy gives pucks to the other team for breakaways instead of dumping it in the zone at the end of his shift. He was so shitty in Game 3 and the entire DET series that Game 2 would have to happen like 10 more times to overcome it.

Oh, and my bad, three good shifts at the end of one period means you don't have to show up for the rest of the playoffs, got it.

P&S Krecji has sucked too.
Last edited by twballgame9 on Fri May 09, 2014 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri May 09, 2014 9:09 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Marty St Louis is Brad Marchand except with talent, so if he is the worst player in the playoffs, he is the second worst.

Yeah this is retarded on every level outside the fact they're both very small human beings.

Evidently, although I haven't watched a ton of the Rangers, they both suck at hockey too.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri May 09, 2014 10:12 am

twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Fri May 09, 2014 3:12 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

Evidently you forgot the brief moment of his good play too, That happens when a guy gives pucks to the other team for breakaways instead of dumping it in the zone at the end of his shift. He was so shitty in Game 3 and the entire DET series that Game 2 would have to happen like 10 more times to overcome it.

Oh, and my bad, three good shifts at the end of one period means you don't have to show up for the rest of the playoffs, got it.

Well when you say they haven't done shit 5 v 5 and Marchamd hasn't done anything all playoffs long it indicates that you did not watch one of the games in which the line's 5 v 5 play was the sole reason they split the first two games. Though it is quite the hot sports take. Of course you strawmanned my argument, as is par for the course, in which you imply I think he's done well all playoffs long.

Regarding the St. Louis point, it just shows you're talking out of your ass if you compare him to Marchand. Now if you said Gionta with talent, for example, I would be more inclined to agree.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri May 09, 2014 3:36 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

Well when you say they haven't done shit 5 v 5 and Marchamd hasn't done anything all playoffs long it indicates that you did not watch one of the games in which the line's 5 v 5 play was the sole reason they split the first two games. Though it is quite the hot sports take. Of course you strawmanned my argument, as is par for the course, in which you imply I think he's done well all playoffs long.

Regarding the St. Louis point, it just shows you're talking out of your ass if you compare him to Marchand. Now if you said Gionta with talent, for example, I would be more inclined to agree.

Gionta and St Louis both have talent. Marchand is the same size, with no talent except for speed.

As far as strawmen and such, my original point was that Marchand has sucked in the playoffs. As the conversation was "what Ranger has been the suckiest NHL player in the playoffs, Nash or St Louis?" I thought I would note Marchand's EPIC ass sucking throughout the DET series and for 2 of 3 MTL series. My comment about the line 5 on 5 was a throwaway, but in any event is accurate when you look at 9 games instead of 1 period.

Regardless, I am sure that you will refute this point with some cutting and on point rebuttal like "I think straw men is two words"
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Fri May 09, 2014 4:05 pm

Well it was a pretty damn important period and far and away the most important outside of last night. And a shitty throwaway line. Smith and Bergy have actually been good once Bergy got over the flu bug that hit him at the start of the Detroit series. Smith's been more or less consistently solid all playoffs long.

And I stand by my assertion that Krejci has been the worst by far, the crux of my point, which passes both the eye test and the advanced stats test since that entire line has been getting outshot and turning the pucks over at an astounding rate. Considering Krejci is the person that makes the first line go and only Lucic looks like he has a pulse out there I'm gonna place most of my annoyance on that front and not the guy that had the flu at the start of the series. Again, you take the low hanging fruit here.

You're probably baiting because of the absurdity of it but please try to think of somebody better than Brian Gionta when you say someone has talent. It's funny that you still have no idea why that comparison is full retard but I'm enjoying you doubling down. Keep the guesses coming.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat May 10, 2014 2:22 pm

I have house money because Marchand fucking sucks. I get to say as much stupid stuff about hockey as I want as long as he continues to suck. Oh, Krecji has been bad too and my opinion on that has not changed, but at least he doesn't miss empty nets.

See above for a good laugh on Marchand's talent. Those gifs are fantastic.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sat May 10, 2014 2:22 pm

P&S you can be a dirty asshole if you are good at what you do. Marchand doesn't qualify.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Sat May 10, 2014 10:24 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I have house money because Marchand fucking sucks. I get to say as much stupid stuff about hockey as I want as long as he continues to suck. Oh, Krecji has been bad too and my opinion on that has not changed, but at least he doesn't miss empty nets.

Not sure why you're so adamant about this point as he's certainly sucked but I will say it's hard to miss empty nets when you keep turning it over in the blue line, give Gionta breakaways to fuck up and spend most of the shift in the D zone or the outskirts of the offensive zone with two layers between the puck and the net.

Regarding the other points, it's okay to say you're wrong or don't know something once in a while. You'll survive not pretending to be the smartest person on the board for once. It's okay that you haven't really watched Brian Gionta play or have no idea what type of game Martin St. Louis plays, among others. It's okay. It's not your fault. It's not your fault. Well actually it is but I just wanted to use an overused quote.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun May 11, 2014 9:04 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I have house money because Marchand fucking sucks. I get to say as much stupid stuff about hockey as I want as long as he continues to suck. Oh, Krecji has been bad too and my opinion on that has not changed, but at least he doesn't miss empty nets.

Not sure why you're so adamant about this point as he's certainly sucked but I will say it's hard to miss empty nets when you keep turning it over in the blue line, give Gionta breakaways to fuck up and spend most of the shift in the D zone or the outskirts of the offensive zone with two layers between the puck and the net.

Regarding the other points, it's okay to say you're wrong or don't know something once in a while. You'll survive not pretending to be the smartest person on the board for once. It's okay that you haven't really watched Brian Gionta play or have no idea what type of game Martin St. Louis plays, among others. It's okay. It's not your fault. It's not your fault. Well actually it is but I just wanted to use an overused quote.

My point is that Marchand sucks and that all three players are short but two have talent and one sucks. When you say something that refutes those points, I'll address it. God speed.

P&S, there's a gif up there of Marchand turning it over at the blue line as well for a goal the other way. ENJOY!
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Mon May 12, 2014 8:53 am

Considering your eye test is one of a cross-eyed down syndrome kid, I thought I'd bring some very basic stats to into the discussion.

Brian Gionta's Corsi sucks and is negative. Brad Marchand's Corsi is good and is positive. This horribly named stat means Marchand is out there for more shot attempts for than against. Gionta's negative Corsi means the opposite. This likely indicates that Marchand and his line has better possession skills than Gionta. Now since Gionta isn't playing the role as a 4th line grinder, you can extrapolate that better possession skills generally correlate to higher skill levels in this instance. While some of the difference can be attributed to Bergeron, the fact that Marchand has significantly outpaced Gionta since he got into league, even as he spent half of his time on the fourth line during his rookie year, indicates that, if your baseline thought is Brian Gionta = skilled, since Brad Marchand is more skilled than Brian Gionta, he too meets the Teddy definition of skilled. You just got transative property'd. I eagerly anticipate your response.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon May 12, 2014 8:59 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Considering your eye test is one of a cross-eyed down syndrome kid, I thought I'd bring some very basic stats to into the discussion.

Brian Gionta's Corsi sucks and is negative. Brad Marchand's Corsi is good and is positive. This horribly named stat means Marchand is out there for more shot attempts for than against. Gionta's negative Corsi means the opposite. This likely indicates that Marchand and his line has better possession skills than Gionta. Now since Gionta isn't playing the role as a 4th line grinder, you can extrapolate that better possession skills generally correlate to higher skill levels in this instance. While some of the difference can be attributed to Bergeron, the fact that Marchand has significantly outpaced Gionta since he got into league, even as he spent half of his time on the fourth line during his rookie year, indicates that, if your baseline thought is Brian Gionta = skilled, since Brad Marchand is more skilled than Brian Gionta, he too meets the Teddy definition of skilled. You just got transative property'd. I eagerly anticipate your response.

That's one retarded sabremetrician stat further than i am interested in taking hockey. tl;dr
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon May 12, 2014 9:01 am

I heard from a reliable source that the BC Hockey Team ran train on Elvii's girlfriend and it is why he hates all BC players playing in the NHL.

I really could care less whether Gionta or Marchand are better. I will say that Gionta has been able to evolve through injuries and change his style of play and survive in the league for a long period of time. He is also an American and the captain of Les Habs, which speaks volumes about him (in an entirely positive sense). Marchand is one good head shot from never playing in the league again and I suspect it is coming soon.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Mon May 12, 2014 9:03 am

Shocking response. Abridged version, Marchand is out there for a higher percentage of net shots (shots for less shots against) for than Gionta. I eagerly anticipate your continued avoidance of this matter.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon May 12, 2014 9:05 am

Marchand is like Pedroia, he is tiny and he is "gritty" and "tough" and a "gamer", so everyone in Boston defends him no matter what, even when he doesn't perform. Laser show or something.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon May 12, 2014 9:05 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Shocking response. Abridged version, Marchand is out there for a higher percentage of net shots (shots for less shots against) for than Gionta. I eagerly anticipate your continued avoidance of this matter.

How many points in the standings for leading in net shots?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon May 12, 2014 9:07 am

Also, doesn't Marchand play with the best two way player in the game? And doesn't his Corsi apply to Reilly Smith as well? What the fuck are we even talking about here?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Mon May 12, 2014 9:16 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Shocking response. Abridged version, Marchand is out there for a higher percentage of net shots (shots for less shots against) for than Gionta. I eagerly anticipate your continued avoidance of this matter.

Move the field goals some more. You're becoming a parody of yourself. It's okay to admit you have no idea what you're talking about every once in a while. But to answer your question, 117 and the President's Trophy.

Regarding the Bergeron point, see my original response. It likely explains some but not all the difference. Smith as well but he's not as good a player as either of those two so I imagine they're inflating his numbers more so than he is theirs.

And I don't hate Gionta. Solid player and has carved out a very good career. On the back nine of his career so he doesn't exactly fit the bill as a skill guy, though he certainly still has some, as he once was earlier in his career with the Devils but he's still a useful player. Only BC guy I don't like is Boyle because he basically plays the same style as a Marchand or Gallagher despite being the biggest player on the ice most nights. I am fully aware of my hypocrisy as someone that cheers for Marchand as I just cheer for the laundry.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon May 12, 2014 9:36 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Move the field goals some more. You're becoming a parody of yourself. It's okay to admit you have no idea what you're talking about every once in a while. But to answer your question, 117 and the President's Trophy.

Regarding the Bergeron point, see my original response. It likely explains some but not all the difference. Smith as well but he's not as good a player as either of those two so I imagine they're inflating his numbers more so than he is theirs.

And I don't hate Gionta. Solid player and has carved out a very good career. On the back nine of his career so he doesn't exactly fit the bill as a skill guy, though he certainly still has some, as he once was earlier in his career with the Devils but he's still a useful player. Only BC guy I don't like is Boyle because he basically plays the same style as a Marchand or Gallagher despite being the biggest player on the ice most nights. I am fully aware of my hypocrisy as someone that cheers for Marchand as I just cheer for the laundry.

I'm completely lost in all the team statistics and line relative shot volume numbers as evidence for Marchand's skill level. The cognitive disconnect of an inferential leap.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Kelley Rink