Bruins Weirdos

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby bignick33 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:49 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}::clownshoes

Where is IG?

What?

You failed in your attempt to marquee the emoticon. Check this out:

:clownshoes

I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:54 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}::clownshoes

Where is IG?

What?

You failed in your attempt to marquee the emoticon. Check this out:

Oh, Internet Guide. I didn't do anything wrong. The Internet failed.

:clownshoes :81
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby buconvict on Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:06 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
buconvict {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Well the Leafs will probably be as bad, if not worse, than the Bruins in scoring goals now. So goes the quest for Taylor Hall.

The Leafs have a pretty decent shot of finishing ahead of the Bruins now.

The Leafs traded 3 good offensive players for a very good defenseman and an over-the-hill goalie. You would have thought they would have realized after they dumped Tuuka Rask for a washed-up Andrew Raycroft that they should stop trading for mediocre, past-their-prime goalies. Since then, they have fielded had one atrocious goalie after the next. They have good defenseman. That's it. They have no one capable of scoring goals or stopping pucks. This trade does not make them better, at least not right now.

I can't believe I just responded to the idiotic suggestion that the Leafs are well-run. They are laughably incompetent, and it will the Bruins' massive, massive gain if they can avoid drafting people like Matt Lashoff with the bounty of picks they will be receiving.

Wanna bet about who finishes ahead of whom?

Sounds familiar.

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:37 pm

buconvict {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
buconvict {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Well the Leafs will probably be as bad, if not worse, than the Bruins in scoring goals now. So goes the quest for Taylor Hall.

The Leafs traded 3 good offensive players for a very good defenseman and an over-the-hill goalie. You would have thought they would have realized after they dumped Tuuka Rask for a washed-up Andrew Raycroft that they should stop trading for mediocre, past-their-prime goalies. Since then, they have fielded had one atrocious goalie after the next. They have good defenseman. That's it. They have no one capable of scoring goals or stopping pucks. This trade does not make them better, at least not right now.

I can't believe I just responded to the idiotic suggestion that the Leafs are well-run. They are laughably incompetent, and it will the Bruins' massive, massive gain if they can avoid drafting people like Matt Lashoff with the bounty of picks they will be receiving.

Sounds familiar.

But at least the Bruins have some semblance of a vision and system put in place. As far as I can tell, Toronto does not. And they can't improve themselves significantly through the draft due to the Kessel deal. They are betting biiiig time that Phaneuf can bounce back. If he doesn't that is a very large cap hit (something like $6.5 mil AAV) for an above-average, but not elite, defenseman. He's getting paid Chara money and Phaneuf is no Chara right now.

Edit: Yay! Mark Stuart out for another month because he broke his finger on that pussy Wayne Simmonds visor. And the hits keep acomin'.
Last edited by flyingelvii on Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:41 pm

I'd like to see this thread make 77 pages in honor of Ray Bourque.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:44 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'd like to see this thread make 77 pages in honor of Ray Bourque.

BUC will then make sure it goes the extra four to properly tribute the The Thrill.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:20 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Edit: Yay! Mark Stuart out for another month because he broke his finger on that pussy Wayne Simmonds visor. And the hits keep acomin'.

Speaking of first round draft picks....
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby buconvict on Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:46 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
buconvict {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
buconvict {l Wrote}:

Sounds familiar.

But at least the Bruins have some semblance of a vision and system put in place. As far as I can tell, Toronto does not. And they can't improve themselves significantly through the draft due to the Kessel deal. They are betting biiiig time that Phaneuf can bounce back. If he doesn't that is a very large cap hit (something like $6.5 mil AAV) for an above-average, but not elite, defenseman. He's getting paid Chara money and Phaneuf is no Chara right now.

Edit: Yay! Mark Stuart out for another month because he broke his finger on that pussy Wayne Simmonds visor. And the hits keep acomin'.

The Bruins have a vision? What vision is that? Only retain players who forecheck and can't score? Don't pay market value? Regress instead of improve? Cross your fingers and hope for Taylor Hall?

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:49 pm

buconvict {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
buconvict {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
buconvict {l Wrote}:

Sounds familiar.

The Bruins have a vision? What vision is that? Only retain players who forecheck and can't score? Don't pay market value? Regress instead of improve? Cross your fingers and hope for Taylor Hall?

What do you call what they paid for Chara, Thomas, Savard, Lucic, Krejci, and Morris? For the love of God, they didn't sign one player, whom you thought to be the bestest greatestest goal-scorer in the whole wide world, and who also was adamant against staying with Boston, and you claim this bullshit point. Arguing with you is hilarious as its entirely circular and void of logic.

The vision is the team that was last year. The lost a little bit of the goal-scoring on the front end (Kessel replaced with Sturm essentially) and improved on the back end (Ward replaced with Morris). Chia and Neely envision a team that will be hard to play against, but one that will also score a lot of goals, which is what they did last year. This year they've dealt with a lot of crap, especially injuries as well as the regression of certain players, which is squarely put on the shoulders of the FO and their player evaluation skills. Overall, though, this still should be a damn good team when healthy.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:16 pm

BUC Logic: We suck because we traded Phil Kessel

Everyone Else in the World's Logic: Injuries & Player Regression are the real problem. If you seriously think that Kessel's 17 goals are the difference between why the B's are awful and last year, you're just not very smart.

Can't wait to see the beating the Caps will put on us tomorrow night.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby ryfarls on Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:33 pm

wouldnt chiarelli have brought back axelsson if he wanted good forecheckers with no finish? (no scandinavian pun intended)
ryfarls
Carney Hall

Postby buconvict on Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:51 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
buconvict {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
buconvict {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
buconvict {l Wrote}:

Sounds familiar.

What do you call what they paid for Chara, Thomas, Savard, Lucic, Krejci, and Morris? For the love of God, they didn't sign one player, whom you thought to be the bestest greatestest goal-scorer in the whole wide world, and who also was adamant against staying with Boston, and you claim this bullshit point. Arguing with you is hilarious as its entirely circular and void of logic.

The vision is the team that was last year. The lost a little bit of the goal-scoring on the front end (Kessel replaced with Sturm essentially) and improved on the back end (Ward replaced with Morris). Chia and Neely envision a team that will be hard to play against, but one that will also score a lot of goals, which is what they did last year. This year they've dealt with a lot of crap, especially injuries as well as the regression of certain players, which is squarely put on the shoulders of the FO and their player evaluation skills. Overall, though, this still should be a damn good team when healthy.

I love how signing Lucic and Krejci to retardly large contracts somehow absolves them for years of shipping players out of town because they wanted to get paid.

The Bruins are fucking terrible. Once again, while you accept 12th place and 8 game losing streaks, I do not. "Injuries wahhh" is NOT an excuse for being the biggest disappointment in the entire league. But hey, who needs wins when you're "hard to play against"? And so far the vision of "scoring tons of goals" seems to have a few flaws in it... like not having any fucking goal scorers.

You sound like one of the people who thought Jimy Williams did a good job.

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby buconvict on Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:54 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:BUC Logic: We suck because we traded Phil Kessel

Everyone Else in the World's Logic: Injuries & Player Regression are the real problem. If you seriously think that Kessel's 17 goals are the difference between why the B's are awful and last year, you're just not very smart.

Right, because it isn't the job of the general manager to build a team with depth and a roster of players who won't regress. It's Phil Kessel's fault that Milan Lucic and David Krejci are terrible.

There are a million flaws with the team. Your suggestion that I think Kessel and Kessel alone is the problem is as foolish as your position that the Bruins are only terrible because they have boo-boos.

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:47 am

buconvict {l Wrote}:

Right, because it isn't the job of the general manager to build a team with depth and a roster of players who won't regress. It's Phil Kessel's fault that Milan Lucic and David Krejci are terrible.

There are a million flaws with the team. Your suggestion that I think Kessel and Kessel alone is the problem is as foolish as your position that the Bruins are only terrible because they have boo-boos.

So when a team's top 3 forwards miww significant time with injuries we shouldn't temper our expectations?

Cross sports metaphor: This year's Bs are like the 2006 Sox with Trent Whitfield and Andy McQuaid playing the roles of Jason Johnson and Kyle Snyder, respectively. When those two get significant play at important junctures, both cases due to injury, your team is in trouble.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:12 am

buconvict {l Wrote}:

It's almost as foolish as when you called Kyle McLaren a "star."
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:07 pm

The Broons are downright terrible, and it is getting worse. The roster was mediocre to begin with, and not deep, but without the injured guys it resembles a Swedish D League squad.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:36 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The Broons are downright terrible, and it is getting worse. The roster was mediocre to begin with, and not deep, but without the injured guys it resembles a Swedish D League squad.

It's actually getting significantly better as Mark Recchi, who was actually probably one of three Bruins playing well over the past couple of weeks, is now relegated back to third line winger duty instead of first line center duty. Again, you cannot tell me with a straight face and believe yourself that having Recchi, Begin, Sobotka, and Whitfield centering lines 1-4, respectively, is worse off than having Savard, Bergeron, Krejci, and Begin cenering lines 1-4, respectively. Please stick to college hockey.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:08 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The Broons are downright terrible, and it is getting worse. The roster was mediocre to begin with, and not deep, but without the injured guys it resembles a Swedish D League squad.

It's actually getting significantly better as Mark Recchi, who was actually probably one of three Bruins playing well over the past couple of weeks, is now relegated back to third line winger duty instead of first line center duty. Again, you cannot tell me with a straight face and believe yourself that having Recchi, Begin, Sobotka, and Whitfield centering lines 1-4, respectively, is worse off than having Savard, Bergeron, Krejci, and Begin cenering lines 1-4, respectively. Please stick to college hockey.

I have no idea and don't really care. I am just trying to get the thread to 77 pages. Instigating you makes it a guarantee.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby buconvict on Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:33 am

42 shots, 1 goal. That's probably due to injuries though.

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:58 pm

buconvict {l Wrote}:42 shots, 1 goal. That's probably due to injuries though.

DURRR it's Kessel's fault! :bag
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:05 pm

This is stupid. BUC and I were complaining because the early season trades made it look like the front office was motivated more by payroll flexibility than making a playoff run. You and FAT ELVIS argued that they were improving the team and would be getting hot right about now. One of you even compared them to last year's Penguins team. 10 pages later, this is the team the front office wanted, and they're playing like a bunch of shitheads. Congrats.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:43 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

This is stupid. BUC and I were complaining because the early season trades made it look like the front office was motivated more by payroll flexibility than making a playoff run. You and FAT ELVIS argued that they were improving the team and would be getting hot right about now. One of you even compared them to last year's Penguins team. 10 pages later, this is the team the front office wanted, and they're playing like a bunch of shitheads. Congrats.

Way to oversimplify the entire argument. Point by point:

-Paille improved the team. He's produced at the same rate as Kobasew this year, actually plays a key role on special teams, and is cheaper. That is improvement. The Kessel trade has been discussed in detail. The B's offered Kessel a 4 year, $16 million initial offer. He never came back with a counter offer. Whine all you want, he wanted out of Boston and there are multiple reports confirming this. This isn't NHL '10 when you can just sign a guy by offering him more money.

-I did compare them to the Penguins. Read my statement and you will understand why I compared them to the Penguins. It's not an apples for apples situation, but hey, why let logic and facts fly in the face of such a horrible argument.

-This team is playing well, it's just not scoring. Not sure what to make of that as it's both frustrating and confusing as hell. Could obviously use a goal scorer but, since it always comes back to this, I don't think Kessel would have been as big a difference as you guys are letting on. Maybe two or three games get swung but, regardless, this current team of shitheads is still in decent position to make the playoffs. Remind you that this is essentially the same team less Kessel and Kobasew and plus Paille and Sturm as last year. Sure, a bit of a drop, but it shouldn't have been this large.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:17 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
-This team is playing well, it's just not scoring.

This is going to be fodder for about 12 more pages.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:31 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

FAT ELVIS is the 81eagle of the hockey board. This awesome Bruins team that doesn't need to score or win is his 14-team ACC expansion.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:37 pm

Bruins wierdos
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:47 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

FAT ELVIS is the 81eagle of the hockey board. This awesome Bruins team that doesn't need to score or win is his 14-team ACC expansion.

Aren't there supposed to be a bunch of lawyers on the board? You guys all suck at forming cogent arguments. And is Fat Elvis the best you guys can come up with? There has to be a few more play on words that you can use to insult me.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:58 pm

STFU you sweaty bitch.

Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:00 pm

I like the fact that flyingelvii takes one logic class and religiously reads the pompous brother of a pompous US Circuit Court Judge, and now he is an expert on arguing.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:24 pm

This argument is too stupid, even for me.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby buconvict on Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:35 pm

I just find it amusing that after EndlessMike and I have been crowing for four months about this team's lack of a goalscorer, we're somehow the stupid ones with no argument the night after the Bruins shoot 42 times and score just once against a goalie so bad that he was replaced by a minor league goalie in the middle of last year's playoffs.

8 losses in a row. Or, if you prefer, one tenth of their season.

:bag

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Kelley Rink