Bruins Weirdos

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Bruins Weirdos

Postby MaxxPower325 on Tue May 14, 2013 11:30 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:That was the problem all series. Reimer gave up a ton of rebounds but either Toronto collapsed and cleared them or the B's had no traffic. They get traffic and Horton pots one, Lucic puts home a rebound, Bergy gets it past Chara's screen and Bergy puts home a rebound after Seguin battled out in front. Was really pretty simple.

Yup. This and the fact that they needed more shots to create the rebounds. Felt like their shot numbers for the series were deceiving.

There were a lot, just from the outsides. Not too threatening and easy stops for most pro-caliber goalies, Marc-Andre Fleury notwithstanding.

No team in the NHL is better at making loud noises off the back glass than the Bruins. Hitting the net even 50% of the time would be an accomplishment for most on the roster. And that puck heads the other way awfully quickly when it hits those back boards.

It was infuriating all series long to watch Reimer give up rebound after rebound without a black shirt anywhere to be found. No way they beat Lundquist without a lot more traffic than they had against Toronto
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue May 14, 2013 11:48 am

Seguin did it a bunch and it's one of the more frustrating things. Missing the net, especially short-side high which is the most common miss on 2 on 2's or 2 on 1's since the goalie is giving that area up since most can't hit that spot consistently enough, is usually a damn good breakout pass for the other team.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue May 14, 2013 11:55 am

Plus, as Kessel proved in the two on one late last night, hit the goalie from an angle on the breakaway, and it is likely to kick out to the other guy with an empty net. Simply physics 2 on 1. Better to put it on goalie than to miss entirely.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue May 14, 2013 1:32 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:At the end, Lucic pounded on the Leafs like he was dating them. It will be interesting to see what Torts comes up with to keep him off of McDonaugh (not really worried about Girardi as he manhandled Lucic pretty easily a couple of times this year and last without getting goaded into a fight).

Of course this could all change should Staal be good to go, but I wouldn't be shocked if Torts split up Girardi & McDonaugh a lot.

Girardi is bionic.

#TorontoZaun almost had me in tears last night.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Tue May 14, 2013 2:16 pm

@notjagr1 is a must follow on the Twitter machine.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed May 15, 2013 9:21 am

Bruins called up Krug. Do they consider Cross a prospect?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed May 15, 2013 9:27 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Bruins called up Krug. Do they consider Cross a prospect?

Not even remotely.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Wed May 15, 2013 9:35 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Bruins called up Krug. Do they consider Cross a prospect?

Not even remotely.

Apparently he's made some pretty good strides in Providence this year but his upside is basically a 4/5. And he's still a couple years away, which is par for the course for most defensemen.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed May 15, 2013 9:42 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Not even remotely.

Apparently he's made some pretty good strides in Providence this year but his upside is basically a 4/5. And he's still a couple years away, which is par for the course for most defensemen.

He also has the always looming specter of a history of bad knees.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu May 16, 2013 7:52 pm

Kreider is much stronger than I thought. Just skated down Lucic, tied him up and then slammed into the boards hard and looked like he was barely trying. Might have been more a product of his skating strength than his upper body strength, but still, fairly impressive.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri May 17, 2013 7:49 am

Lundquist scares me, the rest of the Rangers, not so much. Very encouraging to get a W without Seidenberg.

Oh, and thank you for trading Gaborik!
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Fri May 17, 2013 8:26 am

The Rangers legitimately cannot win in overtime. Figured the game was done at that point.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri May 17, 2013 8:47 am

If Seidenburg returns, this is a bad matchup for the Rangers. Lundqvist could stand on his head and win the series, but otherwise, I feel better about this series than I should. The weaknesses the Leafs exposed were due to speed - sure, Rick Nash skates real fast but he's all fucked up right now.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Fri May 17, 2013 9:07 am

The only line that scared me at all last night was the Boyle line. Seemed like they were the only ones getting any pressure and even then it wasn't anything great. Not too promising considering the B's are starting three young offensively minded defensemen right now. Boyle was also making Krejci his bitch in d-zone faceoffs. Must have won 4 or 5 clean back.

Also of note, the first two periods were an example of why there was a lockout 9 years ago. Brutal hockey.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Fri May 17, 2013 9:18 am

Boyle's really been an asset this post season. Basically the opposite of Richards, who was bringing down the quality of play of the 4th line (Kreider and Asham). Really disappointing.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri May 17, 2013 10:33 am

The Rangers played like crap on the road and they were still in it in OT--albeit with the aid of a half dozen clanks off the post from the Bruins (I think the Rangers clanked 3 in the first two periods). That is about the only thing I take away from last night. To be honest, they looked worse in Washington in Games 1 and 2. End result is I don't think either of these teams stand a chance against Pittsburgh--maybe the Rangers if Lundqvist plays out of his mind, a puncher's chance sort of thing, but it looks very unlikely.

And Brad Richards is beyond awful. Kreider actually played pretty well last night and got some increased minutes. There were two times last night where his speed threatened to abuse the Bs only to see Richards fuck the play up as it was developing. Time to swap Richards out for JT Miller.

As for trading Gaborik, that was a good deal. Moore is excellent and after an abysmal Game 1 against Washington, Dorsett is growing on me and Brassard has been awesome. Unfortunately, Gaborik had been reduced to a slightly less sucky Brad Richards. Anyway, having watched all of the second round games, whoever wins the inevitable Blackhawks-Kings Semifinal will handle Pittsburgh. Watching Crosby cry will be amusing.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri May 17, 2013 10:45 am

Oh and how long can Chara keep this up going 38 minutes of ice time - 6 minutes more than the next highest total.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Fri May 17, 2013 10:52 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:The Rangers played like crap on the road and they were still in it in OT--albeit with the aid of a half dozen clanks off the post from the Bruins (I think the Rangers clanked 3 in the first two periods). That is about the only thing I take away from last night. To be honest, they looked worse in Washington in Games 1 and 2. End result is I don't think either of these teams stand a chance against Pittsburgh--maybe the Rangers if Lundqvist plays out of his mind, a puncher's chance sort of thing, but it looks very unlikely.

And Brad Richards is beyond awful. Kreider actually played pretty well last night and got some increased minutes. There were two times last night where his speed threatened to abuse the Bs only to see Richards fuck the play up as it was developing. Time to swap Richards out for JT Miller.

As for trading Gaborik, that was a good deal. Moore is excellent and after an abysmal Game 1 against Washington, Dorsett is growing on me and Brassard has been awesome. Unfortunately, Gaborik had been reduced to a slightly less sucky Brad Richards. Anyway, having watched all of the second round games, whoever wins the inevitable Blackhawks-Kings Semifinal will handle Pittsburgh. Watching Crosby cry will be amusing.

Agreed this was lightyears ahead of game vs the Gr8s.

Torts would never scratch Richards, I'm shocked he did the right thing and demoted him to the 4th line. Now he just needs to take him off the powerplay. When he's C he can't win a draw = auto clear, when he's on the point, he'll fling some limp wrister into the goalie's chest.

As for the trade, Gaborik was never going to mesh with Torts but they got a ton for him. There aren't many 22 year old dmen that play every night and can skate like Moore. If Brassard can stay healthy ew've seen what he can do. Not sold on Dorsett, have seen flashes but in the what 6/7 games there's been a lot of stupidity to his game
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby MaxxPower325 on Fri May 17, 2013 11:12 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:The Rangers played like crap on the road and they were still in it in OT--albeit with the aid of a half dozen clanks off the post from the Bruins (I think the Rangers clanked 3 in the first two periods). That is about the only thing I take away from last night. To be honest, they looked worse in Washington in Games 1 and 2. End result is I don't think either of these teams stand a chance against Pittsburgh--maybe the Rangers if Lundqvist plays out of his mind, a puncher's chance sort of thing, but it looks very unlikely.

Gaborik has always been a Bruins killer, thus the joy in Boston that he is no longer a Ranger.

I was shocked at the offensive ineptitude of NY last night. With 3 rookies in the line up they could hardly mount a challenge. Maybe last night was an anomoly, but if/when Seidenberg comes back I don't know what they are gonna do to score goals. Gaborik, for all of his faults in the Tortorella system, was a threat to score (at least against the B's) every time he stepped on the ice.
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri May 17, 2013 2:00 pm

Yeah, but if you had watched games 1 and 2 in the Caps series you'd know that comparatively they played much worse and were more offensively inept and then pretty much figured out the Caps and Holtby. Given some of the defensively inept performances the Bruins put up against Toronto I am fairly certain the Rangers will figure them out as well. That isn't to say I think the Rangers will necessarily beat the Bruins, but trying to extrapolate off this performance to say that the Rangers will not be able to generate any offense against this defense and Tuuka Rask is a specious argument.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri May 17, 2013 2:13 pm

Leafs beat the Broons D with speed through the neutral zone. Rangers' speed is Rick Nash, who makes Phil Kessel look like Rocket Richard.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri May 17, 2013 7:23 pm

Hagelin, Kreider and Stepan are three of the fastest forwards in the league. Kreider and Hagelin are probably 1&2 respectively. Claver is right that Torts won't bench Richards, but I think there is a good possibility he puts Kreider on a line with Stepan which would be very scary from a speed perspective leaving Nash with Hagelin, which would also be faster than anything the Leafs have.

The other thing I think the Rangers will probably do is bring some heat on Chara. I recognize that Chara is a beast and is likely to shrug off any individual hits like an elephant shrugging off a horse fly, but if you can accumulate them you can do some damage over a couple of games. Dorsett is probably dumb enough to do it and won't mind getting punished by the Circus Freak in the exchange. 38 minutes is just absurd and completely unsustainable--shit, McDonagh and Girardi are superhuman and they rarely go over 30 minutes in an OT game.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun May 19, 2013 4:34 pm

Dorsett needs to beat campbell first.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Snooks Kelly on Sun May 19, 2013 4:50 pm

[quote="Dick Rosenthal"]Hagelin, Kreider and Stepan are three of the fastest forwards in the league. Kreider and Hagelin are probably 1&2 respectively. Claver is right that Torts won't bench Richards, but I think there is a good possibility he puts Kreider on a line with Stepan which would be very scary from a speed perspective leaving Nash with Hagelin, which would also be faster than anything the do is bring some heat on Chara.

Is this a serious post?
Snooks Kelly
n00b

Postby flyingelvii on Sun May 19, 2013 9:04 pm

Girardi, thanks for showing up bro! That third period was a curb stomping.

And Kessel and Grabovski are as fast as any of the Rangers players, only they are good and actually show up this time of year. Especially Kessel. I hate him but the guy has always got up for the playoffs.

Edit: Gardiner too. Guy is a one man breakout that Burke stole from
Anaheim.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon May 20, 2013 8:51 pm

Snooks Kelly {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Hagelin, Kreider and Stepan are three of the fastest forwards in the league. Kreider and Hagelin are probably 1&2 respectively. Claver is right that Torts won't bench Richards, but I think there is a good possibility he puts Kreider on a line with Stepan which would be very scary from a speed perspective leaving Nash with Hagelin, which would also be faster than anything the do is bring some heat on Chara.

Is this a serious post?

Do you know anything about hockey, schmuck? Hagelin holds the record for the fastest time ever recorded in the skills competition, having broken Mike Gartner's 16 year old record and whupping up on Kessel, Marleau, Gaborik and couple of the other better known speed merchants in the business in the process. Of course, as pointed out, you actually have to be able to finish and Hagelin is absolutely useless in that regard. No one, sense the heady days when Alexi Kovalev stopped giving a shit around 1996 or thereabouts, has produced so many staggeringly fast rushes at the net only to either (a) have the puck trickle off the stick for no reason on the way to the goal (b) bury the puck in the goalie's chest or (c) shoot the puck a mile wide leading to a ricochet and an odd man rush the other way. The only difference between Hagelin and Kovalev in that regard is that Hagelin actually does usually skate down the play from behind and back check. As for Kreider, he, of course, crushed Hagelin this year in a similar contest at the Rangers Fan Appreciation event and broke Hagelin's record beating time. The sad thing is Kreider could finish last year. 5 goals in 9 games is pretty fucking impressive, but Torts is fully in his head now and it is a sad and pathetic waste to watch him toting the puck through the Caps and Bruins only to be left with the option of going one on two with the defense or being forced to rely on Asham to finish. Asham is having his best playoff performance ever and is one of the leading scorers in the playoffs for this offensively-inept abortion Torts has foisted on the world. Now, pray tell, you fucking genius, why do you think that is?
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue May 21, 2013 8:16 am

Whether it is strategic or the Bruins fixed a hole, I do not know, but watching the Rangers I feel like they send their speed one-on-one or on the wings, where the Bruins defense is tightest and for Kessel and Nash, where you run into Chara. Watching the Leafs, I felt like they sent 3 fast guys right down the center of the ice and put more pressure on Bergeron, Krecji and Campbell.

I'm not a hockey guy, but speed doesn't seem to hurt the Bruins as much on the wings, Nash's goal the other night notwithstanding. Oh, and an exception to the rule is the wing where Douggie Hamilton is not playing defense.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Tue May 21, 2013 9:07 am

Chara made a horrible read on the goal too.

One of the Bruins defensemen's problem, at least in the early going of the season, was that the D pair wasn't controlling the gap in between themselves so they were letting guys break through the middle far too easily. I honestly haven't looked for it in the past month or so and I was on vacation for most of the Toronto series but it wouldn't surprise me if Toronto was trying to exploit that and then at least move the puck to create chances for their wingers. Toronto had the luxury of speed up the middle with Grabovski, Bozak and Kadri though. I haven't watched too much CBJ or NYR hockey but I don't think Brassard has a reputation for being a blazer, at least per his scouting reports.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Snooks Kelly on Tue May 21, 2013 12:34 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
Snooks Kelly {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Hagelin, Kreider and Stepan are three of the fastest forwards in the league. Kreider and Hagelin are probably 1&2 respectively. Claver is right that Torts won't bench Richards, but I think there is a good possibility he puts Kreider on a line with Stepan which would be very scary from a speed perspective leaving Nash with Hagelin, which would also be faster than anything the do is bring some heat on Chara.

Is this a serious post?

Do you know anything about hockey, schmuck? Hagelin holds the record for the fastest time ever recorded in the skills competition, having broken Mike Gartner's 16 year old record and whupping up on Kessel, Marleau, Gaborik and couple of the other better known speed merchants in the business in the process. Of course, as pointed out, you actually have to be able to finish and Hagelin is absolutely useless in that regard. No one, sense the heady days when Alexi Kovalev stopped giving a shit around 1996 or thereabouts, has produced so many staggeringly fast rushes at the net only to either (a) have the puck trickle off the stick for no reason on the way to the goal (b) bury the puck in the goalie's chest or (c) shoot the puck a mile wide leading to a ricochet and an odd man rush the other way. The only difference between Hagelin and Kovalev in that regard is that Hagelin actually does usually skate down the play from behind and back check. As for Kreider, he, of course, crushed Hagelin this year in a similar contest at the Rangers Fan Appreciation event and broke Hagelin's record beating time. The sad thing is Kreider could finish last year. 5 goals in 9 games is pretty fucking impressive, but Torts is fully in his head now and it is a sad and pathetic waste to watch him toting the puck through the Caps and Bruins only to be left with the option of going one on two with the defense or being forced to rely on Asham to finish. Asham is having his best playoff performance ever and is one of the leading scorers in the playoffs for this offensively-inept abortion Torts has foisted on the world. Now, pray tell, you fucking genius, why do you think that is?

I get your frusrtration but I know what I see.
Snooks Kelly
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Tue May 21, 2013 9:21 pm

Awesome fighting work by dorsett. That was hilarious. Wants to fight as long as there is no one to fight on the ice.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Kelley Rink