Bruins Weirdos

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Bruins Weirdos

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:30 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:On what grounds would he be subject to waivers? I thought if you are a UFA you can go sign with anyone you want when you want. I was under the impression that his contract with the Bruins expires on July 1. If that is the case, and he is a UFA, what stops him from signing contracts with the KHL that expire on a yearly basis and allow him to jump to the NHL where he can sign pro-rated one year deals that expire at the end of the season. Assuming he can hold his current form I'd bet there would be a pretty brisk market for Jagr for at least two more years.

I don't know the ins and outs of it but the CBA basically says if you are in a non-NHL professional league and sign with an NHL team during the same season on a non-entry level deal you have to clear waivers first. So unless he wants to be subject to waivers every time he signs a contract, your scenario isn't that realistic.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby talon on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:59 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Jagr is an interesting question. I could see him playing Europe and then jumping onto an NHL roster late in the season for a playoff run for each of the next few years. Such a strategy preserves his body, probably allows him to make more money then he would under the new lower cap and lets him go to a contender. And let's face it, he performed extremely well in this playoffs and still scares the hell out of people when he is on the ice. If he does adopt such a longevity strategy there will be people lining up to sign him until he shits the bed.

I despised Jagr as a Penguin, but thought he was the consumate pro and team first guy when he played for the Rangers. I'll chalk up my hatred of Penguins-era Jagr as a product of his being paired with the original Cindy Crosby, i.e, the bitchy, whiny Frog. I succeeded in wishing cancer on that hypocrite and am hoping to work similar magic with Crosby.

Careful now, you're talking about a BC dad.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby talon on Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:23 pm

So, how many Bruins Weirdos turned off the TV on Monday night and helped put Mr. Kleenex's kids through college http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-o ... -cup-final
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:54 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:What's up with this ugly Naoko broad? What happened to Katherine Tappen?

Tappen is on the NHL Network, sadly. At least we still get to see her every once in a while.

Some good news:

NESN announced in a press release at 8:02 p.m. Thursday night that Naoko Funayama, the respected sideline reporter, will not have her contract renewed when it expires this summer.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:36 am

Hello Gaudreau?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:04 pm

Nice to see Milan Lucic getting repeatedly punched in the face at a bar in Vancouver and doing nothing but whining about it. He can't get paralyzed fast enough.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:27 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Nice to see Milan Lucic getting repeatedly punched in the face at a bar in Vancouver and doing nothing but whining about it. He can't get paralyzed fast enough.

Yeah, because beating the shit out of some donkey at a bar usually works out well when you're a professional athlete.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:33 am

True but no tears would be shed if Lucic was never able to play again
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:49 am

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Nice to see Milan Lucic getting repeatedly punched in the face at a bar in Vancouver and doing nothing but whining about it. He can't get paralyzed fast enough.

Yeah, because beating the shit out of some donkey at a bar usually works out well when you're a professional athlete.

I dunno, Chuck Barkley has thrown some turrible donkeys through bar windows without getting so much as a ticket. The video is priceless for three reasons:

1. The guy who repeatedly punches Lucic in the face is giving up six inches and 50 pounds.
2. Lucic shrieks "Do you know who I am Muthafucker?" and said little guy responds by punching him in the face again. Apparently Milan, he either doesn't know or doesn't care. Either way, he is not particularly impressed. Considering Milan's head snaps back like Tyson in Tokyo which shuts him up for about five seconds before he starts shrieking about pressing charges and doing absolutely fuck nothing about the dude who is standing in front of him and laughing at him indicates that the guy was correct in his assessment that he had nothing to fear.
3. The whole video plays perfectly into Lucic's increasing punk reputation--i.e., he won't fight real heavyweights and is only aggressive when he can drop several weight classes against an opponent. I would have thought, given the dimunitive nature of his opponent, that this would have been the perfect adversary for the hook nosed girl beater, but apparently the guy was a bit too feisty.

Don't get me wrong, Lucic is a talented player. He's just a coward and a cxnt. It happens.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:06 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:

I dunno, Chuck Barkley has thrown some turrible donkeys through bar windows without getting so much as a ticket. The video is priceless for three reasons:

1. The guy who repeatedly punches Lucic in the face is giving up six inches and 50 pounds.
2. Lucic shrieks "Do you know who I am Muthafucker?" and said little guy responds by punching him in the face again. Apparently Milan, he either doesn't know or doesn't care. Either way, he is not particularly impressed. Considering Milan's head snaps back like Tyson in Tokyo which shuts him up for about five seconds before he starts shrieking about pressing charges and doing absolutely fuck nothing about the dude who is standing in front of him and laughing at him indicates that the guy was correct in his assessment that he had nothing to fear.
3. The whole video plays perfectly into Lucic's increasing punk reputation--i.e., he won't fight real heavyweights and is only aggressive when he can drop several weight classes against an opponent. I would have thought, given the dimunitive nature of his opponent, that this would have been the perfect adversary for the hook nosed girl beater, but apparently the guy was a bit too feisty.

Don't get me wrong, Lucic is a talented player. He's just a coward and a cxnt. It happens.

1. He fough heavyweight Luke Gazdic last week.
B) As has been discussed, it is stupid for guys like Lucic and Chara to fight the other team's goon.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:08 pm

Barkley also lived in an era before TMZ and cell phone videos. A well known pro athlete is retarded if they get in a fight in a public place nowadays as it's basically a one way ticket to an out of court settlement.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:51 pm

Andre Blatche and Javale mcGee--among others--disagree with this assessment. Also, the chances of paying an out-of-court settlement diminish considerably after you take the first punch in the face. When you get the second shot to the pie hole there isn't a chance in hell you'll be writing a check to the puncher and after the third punch that snaps your head back while you are busy shrieking like a girl you ought to pay a fine for not sticking up for yourself.

And yes, it is stupid for Chara and Lucic to fight the other team's goon--although Chara would win 98% of those encounters. But you know what is even dumber. Fighting some other teams non-fighting 4th line grinder and getting an instigator penalty in the bargain, which Chara and Lucic have done this year (probably the best play Brian Boyle has made all year).
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:03 pm

I'm of the opinion that Lucic is actually the opposite of what Angry Dick says - he's not actually that talented, but he is tough as shit and fights the right way. There's no reason for Chara to fight on the ice - it is stupid. Lucic, not the same. But there is no reason for him to pound some guy in a restaurant.

Also, hockey enforcers aren't generally that big in real life, it is almost comical. Thornton is 6'2'', 217, and that is very big for a hockey player. Tom Brady is 6'5'', 240.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:06 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Andre Blatche and Javale mcGee--among others--disagree with this assessment. Also, the chances of paying an out-of-court settlement diminish considerably after you take the first punch in the face. When you get the second shot to the pie hole there isn't a chance in hell you'll be writing a check to the puncher and after the third punch that snaps your head back while you are busy shrieking like a girl you ought to pay a fine for not sticking up for yourself.

And yes, it is stupid for Chara and Lucic to fight the other team's goon--although Chara would win 98% of those encounters. But you know what is even dumber. Fighting some other teams non-fighting 4th line grinder and getting an instigator penalty in the bargain, which Chara and Lucic have done this year (probably the best play Brian Boyle has made all year).

It still doesn't make it any less stupid.

You also appear to be unaware of what an instigator penalty actually is.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:29 pm

Actually no, and I think it is rich that the guy who confused Major Juniors with the BCHL, AJHL and SJHL would have the timerity to say anything to anyone about understanding anything related to the subject of hockey. An instigator penalty is given when you are deemed to have started the fight and been the aggressor. You get an extra two minutes and you feel shame, like when the circus freak grabs someone who wants no part of him and throws a couple of punches until said sacrificial lamb nominally fights back. (For the quintessential example of this please see Chara, Zdeno vs. Emelin, Alexi).
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:29 pm

I'm happy that I allowed an avenue for you to profess the fact you haven't been able to cope with your failings as a hockey player.

Regardless, you're referring to last season. Unless your use of the phrase "this year" refers to the calendar year, in which case I'd call you retarded for your use of it in the context of sports seasons.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:29 am

It was an example and I used it because it showed what many in the NHL say--that Chara is an immensely talented and ridiculously strong workhorse (although clearly on the downslope now) who sometimes uses terrible judgment when it comes to fighting. Indeed, that particular penalty was about as selfish and dumb a fight as most observers had witnessed. I'll give you a hint, he has one this year as well, only not egregious except for the fact that he should never put himself in the situation in the first place. He also has two fights this season where he cancelled himself out against 4th line players, one of whom, his BC connections notwithstanding, is having an absolutely awful season. Dumb. Sort of like you, only he has some redeeming value.

I am glad that you concede everything I have stated about Lucic is true.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:03 am

He's had 8 fights in the last 3.5 seasons. I don't think it's much of a problem. I concede that Lucic can be stupid when he chooses his battles but I'm not overly concerned in the regular season as the B's aren't scrapping for points and he plays better when he's physically and emotionally engaged.

And Boyle is a detestable hockey player to root for. Soft as shit and never answers the bell despite going after the smallest guy on the ice in scrums.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:20 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:It was an example and I used it because it showed what many in the NHL say--that Chara is an immensely talented and ridiculously strong workhorse (although clearly on the downslope now) who sometimes uses terrible judgment when it comes to fighting. Indeed, that particular penalty was about as selfish and dumb a fight as most observers had witnessed. I'll give you a hint, he has one this year as well, only not egregious except for the fact that he should never put himself in the situation in the first place. He also has two fights this season where he cancelled himself out against 4th line players, one of whom, his BC connections notwithstanding, is having an absolutely awful season. Dumb. Sort of like you, only he has some redeeming value.

I am glad that you concede everything I have stated about Lucic is true.

Chara doesn't really fight anymore, ever. Maybe 2-3 times a year. And he really hasn't dropped off defensively much. He doesn't move as quickly to recover when he makes a mistake, but his game has little to do with skating anyway.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun May 04, 2014 8:34 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:What's up with this ugly Naoko broad? What happened to Katherine Tappen?

Tappen is on the NHL Network, sadly. At least we still get to see her every once in a while.

What has NBC done with Tappen? Looks totally skanked out.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue May 06, 2014 3:15 pm

She used to dress like a nun so I for one enjoy seeing the puppies featured more prominently.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue May 06, 2014 3:16 pm

noticed last night she has a lot of odd freckles, have a feeling whalepants would ENJOY
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue May 06, 2014 3:55 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:noticed last night she has a lot of odd freckles, have a feeling whalepants would ENJOY

He could tempt her with a his-and-hers melanoma screening.

p & s - this is an underrated thread. the first page alone contains a usage of "I could care less" courtesy of easterbrook, a prescient joke about ilya kovalchuk having his bags packed, and a BUC/eepstein slapfight.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue May 06, 2014 10:02 pm

Well that certainly turned out to be the correct usage of the phrase in light of what this thread became. So I got that going for me.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby b0mberMan on Wed May 07, 2014 6:34 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Did you seriuosly compare the upside of Phil Kessel to Ovechkin? Come on now. I just wouldn't jump the gun on saying the Bruins suck yet. Let's wait and see how things shake out.

This is a great quote from the front page.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Re: Bruins trade Kobasew

Postby eepstein0 on Wed May 07, 2014 8:20 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Did you seriuosly compare the upside of Phil Kessel to Ovechkin? Come on now. I just wouldn't jump the gun on saying the Bruins suck yet. Let's wait and see how things shake out.

This is a great quote from the front page.

Ah yes my previous life as a hockey reporter
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed May 07, 2014 8:53 am

i think this series goes 7

rangers, however, i am not so optimistic about. hopefully kreider comes back tonight, they could really use him
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed May 07, 2014 10:32 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:i think this series goes 7

rangers, however, i am not so optimistic about. hopefully kreider comes back tonight, they could really use him

yeah... CHAPTER 7
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Wed May 07, 2014 10:56 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:noticed last night she has a lot of odd freckles, have a feeling whalepants would ENJOY

He could tempt her with a his-and-hers melanoma screening.

p & s - this is an underrated thread. the first page alone contains a usage of "I could care less" courtesy of easterbrook, a prescient joke about ilya kovalchuk having his bags packed, and a BUC/eepstein slapfight.

and post deletions from a COWARD that fuck up the first unread post functionality
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed May 07, 2014 12:42 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:She used to dress like a nun so I for one enjoy seeing the puppies featured more prominently.

It is the hair and makeup that I do not care for.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Kelley Rink