WHY

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

WHY

Postby whalepants on Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:54 am

Why is our University sponsoring a developmental league for the NHL? I watched the BU game last night and all I heard was that this one is a NY Islanders property and this one was a 1st round draft pick of the Broons, and we can't believe that Milner is undrafted. It also really bothers me that this team has a dreadful graduation rate, despite what York says about "a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." Of course, everyone looks the other way because they win... a lot. They also cut the team slack because everyone is white, many come from prep schools, and most have either Irish or WASPy sounding names. If the basketball team had a dozen African American kids and 4 of them were 1 or 2 years and done there would be outcry in the press and across the University. But even the Globe and the Herald celebrate York as though he's some kind of paragon of virtue. I say he's just a poorly paid version of a Krzzyyzzski or that Italian guy who coached the Celtics a few years ago-- forget his name, but he;s back coaching in college now.

And what's with kids from Quebec and British Columbia playing for BC? Not supposed to happen. I never forgave Snooks for going to International Falls to recruit Tim Sheehy. Aren't there enough kids in Charlestown?

Hockey is the most corrupt and rotten sport on campus. But they're white and they win, and the coach sounds like Rick Warren, so its all good.
whalepants
Carney Hall

Re: WHY

Postby claver2010 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:01 am

:bored
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby whalepants on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:11 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}::bored

sycophant. Your yawn does nothing to disprove my point.
whalepants
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:17 am

i could go point by point campion but not worth it
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby whalepants on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:30 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:i could go point by point campion but not worth it

give it a try-- start with the lousy graduation rate. for example.
whalepants
Carney Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:31 am

I think the bigger problem stems from Pierre McGuire thinking we need to or actually want to know where all these kids are from and/or played at for juniors.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby whalepants on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:41 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:I think the bigger problem stems from Pierre McGuire thinking we need to or actually want to know where all these kids are from and/or played at for juniors.

College hockey announcers always do that and I don't know why-- remember Bob Norton? "Boyle skated for all 4 years for Steve Dagdigian at Saint Sebastian's.... Jerry York laced them up for Father Pollard at BC High..." But now, because BC is strictly a developmental team for the NHL, all that homey Norton crap seems old time and simple and has been replaced by draft and NHL info.
whalepants
Carney Hall

Postby whalepants on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:42 am

NHL teams tell kids how many years they want them to play at BC fer Crissakes. Open your eyes... its rotten.
whalepants
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:46 am

whalepants {l Wrote}:NHL teams tell kids how many years they want them to play at BC fer Crissakes. Open your eyes... its rotten.

Like Kreider right?

whalepants {l Wrote}: If the basketball team had a dozen African American kids and 4 of them were 1 or 2 years and done there would be outcry in the press and across the University.

In this championship run Yorks been on, how many kids have been 1 or 2 years and done?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby whalepants on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:52 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
whalepants {l Wrote}:NHL teams tell kids how many years they want them to play at BC fer Crissakes. Open your eyes... its rotten.

Like Kreider right?

whalepants {l Wrote}: If the basketball team had a dozen African American kids and 4 of them were 1 or 2 years and done there would be outcry in the press and across the University.

In this championship run Yorks been on, how many kids have been 1 or 2 years and done?

whalepants
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:53 am

exactly

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby whalepants on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:55 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:exactly

you think that 17 is an acceptable number?
whalepants
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:58 am

it's not close to 17

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby whalepants on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:58 am

19-- I forgot Kobasew and Reasoner-- there's probably more-- I don't follow them that closely.
whalepants
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:03 am

Reasoner stayed 3
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby westcoastbernie on Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:07 am

I think if the other programs followed Jerry's lead we wouldn't be overhauling the athletic program every 5 years in our revenue producing sports. There is Michigan the university and Michigan the athletic department. No one ever talks about M in leadng the nation in graduation rates for its athletes yet the university itself ranked #29 in US News while BC is ranked #31.

This whole graduation thing is little anal in my book. You recruit these kids, give them academic supports and allow them to get a degree, if they want it, with a full boat over 6 years. They have 4 years of eligibility to play and that's it. They can structure their classes to stay eligible, which they do now, and afford them the chance to earn a degree. Some will take advantage of it, others won't. Bear in the mind the hockey mindset is a world unto itself. With all these junior leagues, eliet legaues and all the rest, every kid thinks they are headed to the NHL. And given that they are all drafted when they are 18, come to college as a 20 year old after a year of juniors and prep school, they are looking at that signing bonus and education is not #1 on their list. THey use college hockey as a showcase to extract a better deal out of the NHL team. Coaches recruit kids with the knowledge that this is where college hockey is today. College basketball is the same way with all the one and dones out there. The difference in hockey is the NHL owns your rights whereas in the other sports you go back into the draft if you don't sign within a year. So, the NHL has a vested interest in these kids and will quietly, indirectly, guide them until they sign.

Enjoy the games and understand it is dirty world that all of college hockey, not just BC, has embraced. Jerry York has just mastered the science of working in that cesspool and created a machine. Is it good? That's debatable. Name me a college hockey program that doesn't operate that way to some degree or another...and don't tell me the Ivies, they do the same thing.
westcoastbernie
Carney Hall

Postby whalepants on Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:54 am

westcoastbernie {l Wrote}:Enjoy the games and understand it is dirty world that all of college hockey, not just BC, has embraced. Jerry York has just mastered the science of working in that cesspool and created a machine. Is it good? That's debatable. Name me a college hockey program that doesn't operate that way to some degree or another...and don't tell me the Ivies, they do the same thing.

You made my point with your "Everybody's doing it" defense. Get it outta my alma mater.
whalepants
Carney Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:46 pm

whalepants {l Wrote}:19-- I forgot Kobasew and Reasoner-- there's probably more-- I don't follow them that closely.

I would like to see the list because I assume its a flawed list.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby whalepants on Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:48 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
whalepants {l Wrote}:19-- I forgot Kobasew and Reasoner-- there's probably more-- I don't follow them that closely.

I would like to see the list because I assume its a flawed list.

We'd probably need to file a Freedom of Info Act to get the real figures. My guess is that BC hockey's graduation rate is probably at about 50-60% most years, but when they average it out as a 4 year success rate its probably in the low 80s.
whalepants
Carney Hall

Postby whalepants on Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:22 pm

All left after 2 or 3 years or immediately after last varsity game:

Cam Atkinson
Cory Bilodeau
Dumoulin
Pat Eaves
Farkas
Gerbe
S Gionta
J Hayes
Kolanos
Kreider
Motherwell
Muse
B orpik

probably others too
whalepants
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:24 pm

whalepants {l Wrote}:All left after 2 or 3 years or immediately after last varsity game:

Cam Atkinson
Cory Bilodeau
Dumoulin
Pat Eaves
Farkas
Gerbe
S Gionta
J Hayes
Kolanos
Kreider
Motherwell
Muse
B orpik

probably others too

You said a third after 1 or 2 years

Muse, Gionta, Farkas were 4 years off the top of my head.

Read something that 90% of kids who leave after 3 years graduate, but only ~50% of those who leave after two -will find the link later
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:33 pm

The race card is also a very minor player as well. It has to do more with the fact college hockey isn't on the national radar.

Edit: Oh just saw the last game caveat. Yeah your list is disingenuous at best.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:30 pm

im not entirely sure why campion posts this stuff, whether he actually believes it (doubtful), he likes wasting his time (possible) or he gets enjoyment out of knowing he has wasted other peoples time (most likely)
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby westcoastbernie on Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:21 pm

whalepants {l Wrote}:
westcoastbernie {l Wrote}:Enjoy the games and understand it is dirty world that all of college hockey, not just BC, has embraced. Jerry York has just mastered the science of working in that cesspool and created a machine. Is it good? That's debatable. Name me a college hockey program that doesn't operate that way to some degree or another...and don't tell me the Ivies, they do the same thing.

You made my point with your "Everybody's doing it" defense. Get it outta my alma mater.

That's "OUR" alama mater...you don't own that right solely pal.
westcoastbernie
Carney Hall

Postby whalepants on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:20 pm

westcoastbernie {l Wrote}:
whalepants {l Wrote}:

That's "OUR" alama mater...you don't own that right solely pal.

"Pal?" Who calls anyone "Pal?" You from a 1952 thug movie or something? You wear a white tee shirt with a pack of Luckies rolled up the sleeve?

Maybe you have an "alama" mater. I don't know what an alama is.
whalepants
Carney Hall

Postby whalepants on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:24 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:The race card is also a very minor player as well. It has to do more with the fact college hockey isn't on the national radar.

Edit: Oh just saw the last game caveat. Yeah your list is disingenuous at best.

no it isn't-- hockey has a dreadful graduation rate. Once they are ineligible to play they head off for the NHL. I'm sure there are a bunch more guys who should be on that list that I just can't remember. And I stand by the race comment. BC and the Globe would never stand for a basketball team of black kids who stayed in school only as long as they could play.
whalepants
Carney Hall

Postby Supahfan99 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:11 am

campion, you dumb fuck. Bilodeau spent 2 years at RPI, sat out a transfer year at BC (97-98), played a year at BC and had his 4 years of schooling and graduated and moved on with life leaving 1 year of eligibility on the table.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby wolverineneshl on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:35 am

Does anyone really care whalepants ??? How many guys have come back to earn their degree after leaving early? Did Brooks Orpik or any of these guys complete their degree eventually at BC or some other school after or during their pro career?
wolverineneshl
McGuinn Hall

Postby bchockey04 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:21 pm

whalepants {l Wrote}:All left after 2 or 3 years or immediately after last varsity game:

Cam Atkinson
Cory Bilodeau
Dumoulin
Pat Eaves
Farkas
Gerbe
S Gionta
J Hayes
Kolanos
Kreider
Motherwell
Muse
B orpik

probably others too

LOL...way to change your argument later in the thread. Huge difference between 2 and 3 years.
bchockey04
Carney Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:31 pm

whalepants {l Wrote}:And what's with kids from Quebec and British Columbia playing for BC? Not supposed to happen. I never forgave Snooks for going to International Falls to recruit Tim Sheehy. Aren't there enough kids in Charlestown?

It's funny to read this article with either a French accent to imitate Habs fans or in Don Cherry's voice as he talks about Ontarria hockey players.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Next

Return to Kelley Rink