Jerry York in the Heights

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Jerry York in the Heights

Postby AdamBC on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:20 am

The following letter is from Jerry York, Head Coach of Men's Hockey
By Jerry York
Head Coach, Men's Hockey, BC '67
Published: Wednesday, October 24, 2012

To the students of Boston College:
I write to you today for two reasons. First, to thank you for yet another outstanding display of pride and amazing support at our season-opening game against Northeastern last Saturday. Raising the Championship Banner is always a very special time. The energy and excitement of a packed Kelley Rink impacts our locker room. We feed off of it. It never gets old.

Secondly, I write to challenge each of you. BC is a special place. As BC students you have amazing minds and great talents. When you support our team, I ask that you put your talents to work. Think creatively when joining together in unison to cheer on the Eagles. Think creatively when coming up with new chants and cheers. Continue to make things interesting for your fellow fans and inspiring for our team.

When doing so, we only ask that you use sound judgment in language. Please don’t curse. We travel to other arenas and hear things I never want to hear. Our hockey program belongs to BC. It belongs to the students, alums young and old, and fans alike. Game day at BC is where we join together in pride. It should be enjoyable for everyone.

Thank you for taking the time to read this letter. Thank you again for your support of Boston College hockey. Please continue to take ownership of the environment in which we compete, and continue to make the Kelley Rink environment the most unique in college hockey.

http://www.bcheights.com/the-following- ... IlKvGf5Xfg
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Re: Jerry York in the Heights

Postby Fire Spaz on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:24 am

That's a BC Eagles line change (BITCH!!!!)
Wikipedia {l Wrote}:Spaziani is known as a wordsmith often answering interview questions with unintelligible murmurs or seemingly invented words. He has been honored by his peers as the most underqualified coach ever assigned to a head coaching role at a Division 1 school
Fire Spaz
McGuinn Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:27 am

Was there a problem with profanity on Saturday? I didn't hear anything.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:35 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:Was there a problem with profanity on Saturday? I didn't hear anything.

I didn't hear anything either.

I think the fact that our 2 first games of the season were at NU & UMass (the most deplorable fanbase) is what triggered it. At Mullins, the "Fuck BC" chant occurred literally every other minute (was heard clear as day on the radio as well) and it only took about .3 seconds from the opening faceoff for it to start
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:24 pm

The only thing I could think of is the "You suck" part of the post goal celebrations.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:44 pm

Jerry York is a BC Guy.

BC Guy: A BC Guy is a true man's man who demands excellence in every facet of life, including, but absolutely not limited to, football and academics. He makes no excuses, and always maintains a go-getter, kick-ass and take names attitude toward everything he does. BC Guys are irresistably charming and good looking. "Ever to Excel" is their moto, and they always stay true to God, the United States of America, and Boston College. For examples of BC Guys, see: Flutie, Doug/ Jagodzinski, Jeff / Bicknell, Jack / Leahy, Father / Coughlin, Tom / Kiwanuka, Mathias / Haden, Josh / O'Rourke, Charles / etc. For examples of anti-BC Guys, see: O'Brien, Tobias / scrush / any wearer of jorts (see below) / Dienhart, Tom / Blumenthal, Richard / etc.

Jerry still hasnt been added to the EO definition of BC Guy. Whoever is in charge of such things should get on it.

Also, we may want to add something like this to the definition:

A BC Guy always maintains the highest level of class and couth.
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:21 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:The only thing I could think of is the "You suck" part of the post goal celebrations.

Yup. Also, a few years ago I was at a BC-Notre Dame hockey game, there was a small scuffle and the students started chanting, "Fuck you, Irish."
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:38 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:The only thing I could think of is the "You suck" part of the post goal celebrations.

York has said he hates the sucks after every player introduction
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:40 pm

The sucks chant after a goal is harmless and has been going on a while. The newest version was well-conceived and original. Doubt it was that.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:11 am

It was a preemptive strike after a trip to UMass

TRAGS BAG: THE BEST COACH IN BOSTON HISTORY NOT NAMED RED
Fri, 10/26/2012 - 1:57pm

Email 1 Comment

Boston College coach Jerry York is closing in on the all-time wins record in college hockey. (AP)
Any conversation about the greatest coach in Boston sports history begins and ends with Arnold “Red” Auerbach. Creating the greatest basketball dynasty in history, winning eight straight championships and drafting, developing and coaching the greatest defensive player of all time pretty much seals the deal.

But in between there’s plenty of room for further discussion and debate.

There’s Bill Belichick, Terry Francona, Doc Rivers, Claude Julien and Jack Parker. The accomplishments of all five are very much in the forefront of any discussion of coaching legacy in Boston.

Then there’s Jerry York.

I’m here to tell you that -- after Red Auerbach -- what the hockey coach has accomplished at his alma mater of Boston College stands behind only Red’s nine NBA titles in 10 years as the greatest coaching legacy in Boston sports history.

Sometime in the next two months or so, York, who turned 67 on July 25, will pass one-time rival Ron Mason for the most wins in college hockey history (Mason has 925). York is in his 41st season as a college head coach, 19th at Boston College.

In this day and age, what separates York and his 915 wins and .619 winning percentage from names like Bobby Knight, Jim Boeheim, Adolph Rupp, Jim Calhoun and even his crosstown rival and friend Jack Parker (878) is the practically spotless ethical and academic record York has established at The Heights.

York -- like he was on Thursday after practice -- has been on a treadmill of success not seen in Boston collegiate history. I waited for him to finish his workout before asking him to recount his rise up the coaching ladder and the principles he holds so close.

“I was fortunate to have a family, 10 children, a great place to grow up,” York said of his upbringing in Watertown and his days at Boston College High School. “I was just raised right. Those [values] are just instilled in me. It comes fairly easy to me. I don’t have to struggle with black and white issues. I know what’s right and what’s wrong."

How serious is he about this? Well, toward the end of our 30-minute chat in his office Thursday, York hands me a copy of the student newspaper. He informs me that he was so offended by the language coming from the UMass student section at their game last weekend that he wrote a letter to the editor. He wanted to make sure BC fans don’t reciprocate -- ever.

“Please don’t curse,” York wrote as part of his plea. “We travel to other arenas and hear things I never want to hear. Our hockey program belongs to BC. It belongs to the students, alums young and old, and fans alike.”

There was early inspiration for York ideals at BC, in the form of a conversation with BC president Father J. Donald Monan.

“I remember a conversation when I was first hired in June 1994. Had to be 11 o’clock at night and met with [then-athletic director] Chet Gladchuk and brought me to Father Monan’s office,” York told me. “Father Monan said he had a vision for what we wanted to accomplish. ‘I would like to see players come to BC and four years later, when they leave with a diploma in one hand and a [championship] ring on the other hand. I think that’s a reasonable assumption we can go after.’

“I thought to myself, what a great analysis. And those words have stuck with me ever since. I thought everything was in place. The facilities, the administration was fully supporting hockey and students were fully behind us. And win more national championships that had eluded us. Lenny [Ceglarski] was awfully close. I always thought we should be like Michigan and Denver and teams from the West.

“Fifty schools play. There always seemed to be that dozen schools that, ‘You have it this year, we’ll have it next year.’ We wanted to get in that group.”

Ironically, York was passed over by Boston College in 1972 when it chose another legendary coach in Ceglarski, who arrived from Clarkson.

“What’s funny is that then-athletic director William Flynn called me at 6 in the morning and told me, ‘Jerry, we’re going in another direction. You just don’t have the experience.’ I totally understood that. He was absolutely correct,” York recalled. “Two weeks later, the athletic director at Clarkson called and said, 'We’re not going to even have a search. You’re our guy.' "

York took over for Celgarski and coached seven years the Potsdam, N.Y., school. He moved on to Bowling Green, after Mason left for Michigan State. York won his first national title at the Ohio school in 1984.

What’s incredible is the good fortune of Boston College after passing over York twice more. BC promoted assistant Steve Cedorchuk in 1992. Then after two years in which the Eagles won a combined 24 games, the school selected former Bruins defenseman Mike Milbury, who took the job for 100 days before leaving.

That left another door open, and BC finally chose York.

“I didn’t think it was ever going to happen,” York said. “It’s funny because when I did come for the press conference and Bill Flynn was in the audience and came up to me and said, ‘Jerry, you have more experience now.’ ”

As is the case with every college coach, York has had his moments when he has had to lay down the law and take disciplinary action.

York prides himself on recruiting the right type of athlete for his program.

The story he told me on the eve of his first national championship with Boston College in 2001 sums up the ideal he’s looking for in every athlete he recruits.

“Brian Gionta was one of the Hobey Baker finalists and we had just beaten Michigan to face North Dakota in the championship,” York said. “It was the Friday before the national championship and I got the word from the committee that they were going with Ryan Miller as the winner. I had to tell Brian because it was the elephant in the room and break the news in our team meeting because everyone was wondering. I get up in front of the whole team, and he must’ve had the sense he didn’t win, because he gets up and says, ‘Coach, don’t worry about it. I just came for one trophy. That’s all I’m here for.’

“I thought, wow, you have your best player and he’s telling you and the team, ‘Hey, coach, don’t worry about the Hobey Baker.' For him to say that -- because so many kids are focused on [individual] honors.”

The Eagles went out and beat North Dakota in an epic 3-2 overtime contest, won when Krys Kolanos scored 4:43 into the first extra period.

As is the case with York’s career at BC, there was great symmetry in that title win.

BC, which finished the season with a record of 33-8-2, earned its first NCAA hockey crown in 52 years by beating the three schools that had eliminated the Eagles in the three previous Frozen Fours: Michigan (1998), Maine (1999) and North Dakota (2000).

The loss to Michigan was particularly hard to take. That was the Frozen Four held in Boston at the building then known as the FleetCenter. BC was favored on the same ice on which it had won the Hockey East title.

“That loss in Boston [in 1998] was really heartbreaking,” York recalled. “We had been so very close so often in the years leading up to the [title], that’s what made that really sweet.”

Boston University’s championship in 1995 broke a nine-year title drought for Boston fans. But BC’s 2001 championship would kick off a run never before seen in the city’s legendary sports history.

Starting with the Eagles' title on April 4, 2001, the Patriots won their first Super Bowl 10 months later in New Orleans. The Pats would win twice more in the next three years. The Red Sox ended their World Series drought in epic fashion in 2004 and added another title in ’07. The Celtics won it all in ’08 and the Bruins won their title in 2011.

Which brings us to the powerful respect all of the above coaches have for York.

READ MORE

Columns
A love story gone wrong
One man's diary from one of the best hockey games ever
Say the name Jerry York to Belichick, Francona, Rivers and Julien, and they all bubble over with praise. All have met York at one time or another. Like on Aug. 25, 2011, when Belichick brought York into Foxboro for training camp on the same day his friend Jon Bon Jovi was on the field.

“Pretty big day for us yesterday to have a guy who’s sold 120 million records and Jerry York out there that’s won whatever it is, 800 or 900-however many games, a lot more than I’ve won, I’ll tell you that,” Belichick said.

Raved York on Thursday: “On a multifaceted level, I can watch [Belichick] handle players, handle media, and the thing is when he’s talking to our players, the two or three times he’s been over here, his personality is incredible. He lights up the whole room. I know in the press box he has a certain persona and he’s not going to vary that. But I just like how he handles expectations. I’ve read a number of books about him. I thought the TV show, ‘A Football Life’ was outstanding. Just the way he carries himself, I can learn a lot from him.”

That tradition continues. On Thursday at Celtics practice, Rivers had York stop by the Waltham practice facility and observe.

“It doesn’t matter,” York said. “The carryover from Red Sox to Bruins, and Bruins specifically, is incredible. And then just watching the Celtics, the intensity with [Kevin] Garnett 15 minutes into practice, watching film, and he’s just locked in. Talked to my players about that. Here’s a veteran who’s been through so many wars and he’s still working. And [Paul] Pierce is the same way. They are just locked in.

“There’s probably not one thing I don’t learn from those people. I watch their practices, the game, and their demeanor on the bench. I watch Doc Rivers. I think his communication skills with the players are incredible. Garnett comes up to him [Thursday] during a drill and says, 'Where do you want me, coach? I’ll do whatever you want.'

“That type of [respect] from player to coach, we’re in this together. We’re not going to battle [each other].”

Which brings us to perhaps the most important lesson of all. Wins are best achieved when you don’t count them. I tried every possible way to get York to elaborate on what 925 wins would mean.

“We kid about it a little with Bill and myself, and Terry when he was in here one time,” York said. “We’re not really involved in [counting]. My daughter is always counting W's. But we’re more in the present, next period, next shift. I don’t wake up each morning and think, ‘I got another win.’ It’s not part of my fabric.

“I see that in Doc. I see that in Bill. I saw that in Terry when he was here because I knew him fairly well. I don’t think you survive in this business if you’re focused on, 'Gee, what can I [accomplish]?' If I’m telling players when they’re going out the door that we’re going to chase [championship] trophies and not All-American and Hobey Baker awards, I’ve got to be the same way. People might have a hard time believing that, but the [record wins] are not a factor.”

But 925 will come. And when it does, what else is left to accomplish? How long can York see himself doing this?

“I like it,” York said. “It comes up in recruiting all the time: ‘How long are you going to do it, coach?’ Hey, I’m healthy, I’m in good shape. I love what I do. I have no intention of sailing off and seeing the world. I like what I do.”

And now he’ll be working with Brad Bates, who comes to BC from another hockey school, Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, a school York beat in the 2010 national semifinals on his way to the championship.

“This is the seventh athletic director I’ve worked for, and I get along with all of them,” York said. “Brad and I started off right off the bat in a good relationship.”

Truth be told, York gets along with everybody in every walk of life. It's a trait he says he gets from his father, Robert, who was a old-style doctor who made house calls.

“My dad was a great role model who I am like the most,” York said. “He was a family doctor and worked at St. Elizabeth’s for years.”

The Eagles have since added titles in ’08, ’10 and just last April when they won their fifth NCAA crown, beating Minnesota and Ferris State by a combined 10-2 score.

When York took over in 1994, BC had one national title in its trophy case. The Eagles now have five, matching the number of the crosstown Terriers, once thought to be the dominant hockey program in town.

Now it’s York who will be revered. How would he like to characterize his legacy?

“As someone who carried on the legacy of BC, because I have a great respect for the people who came before me, and hopefully for many more years,” he said.

With the NHL on an indefinite leave of absence, now, would be a great time to start paying attention to one of the greatest coaching legacies ever to grace the Boston sports landscape.

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/mike-petraglia/2012/10/26/trags-bag-best-coach-boston-history-not-named-red
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Supahfan99 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:48 am

"Hey, I’m healthy, I’m in good shape. I love what I do. I have no intention of sailing off and seeing the world."

Subtle shot at JackPa's sailing adventures?
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby wolverineneshl on Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:17 pm

I have never heard of the chant at BC or visiting rink. But then again, I don't sit next to the students at BC or opposing student fans to hear anything that vulgar. From reading another board, the chant that I think he refers to is a chant that relates to a sex act or acts that is not commonly used unless you visit porn sites that display it. I just happen to google it to see what it means.

To be honest, I haven't heard it from BC fans but I think the coach heard it at the NU game at Matthews or the UMass game and found out what it meant.
wolverineneshl
McGuinn Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:01 am

wolverineneshl {l Wrote}:I have never heard of the chant at BC or visiting rink. But then again, I don't sit next to the students at BC or opposing student fans to hear anything that vulgar. From reading another board, the chant that I think he refers to is a chant that relates to a sex act or acts that is not commonly used unless you visit porn sites that display it. I just happen to google it to see what it means.

To be honest, I haven't heard it from BC fans but I think the coach heard it at the NU game at Matthews or the UMass game and found out what it meant.

Any references to farm animals? And which websites?
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby wolverineneshl on Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:44 am

It has nothing to do with animals but a bunch of guys doing something to the opposite gender, and which young kids at a game should never hear and learn about at a college hockey game. They discussed this at another BC related sports board in regard to vulgar chants.
wolverineneshl
McGuinn Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:13 am

I would think most people would either find that particular chant funny in a juvenile way or not have any clue what it means. Although you're right that kids shouldn't be hearing it and then having to ask their parents what it means

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH4Oz0MR-0s
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby wolverineneshl on Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:00 pm

It's just a strange way of saying teamwork if I understand the cheer right.
wolverineneshl
McGuinn Hall

Return to Kelley Rink