Wey Interview

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Wey Interview

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:15 pm

He's going to be vital to start the year as we break in several FR who are going to get some serious ice time. He's also had some injury issues so would be nice to see him play 40+ games.

http://www.bceagles.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/071812aac.html

Q&A With Patrick Wey
"We're not sitting back and defending anything. We want to go out and win another National Championship."

Senior Patrick Wey defends an approaching offensive attack.

July 18, 2012

Senior defenseman Patrick Wey is a very experienced and skilled asset for the men's ice hockey team. He earned a bronze medal with the U.S. National Junior Team at the 2011 IHF World Junior Championships in Buffalo, N.Y. and participated in the Washington Capitals 2012 Prospect Development Camp earlier this month. He sat down with BC Athletics to reflect on the team's championship run, as well as look ahead to the upcoming season.

First off, congratulations on the National Championship! Give us an idea of what the path to the championship was like - what are some of the lasting memories you have from that experience?
One of the things that sticks with me was the low point before we went on the 19-game win streak. We were on a road trip to Maine and we lost both games. The coaches came down on us pretty hard and we had a long bus trip back from Maine late at night. I remember a sinking feeling, I think everyone shared it, and we all were like, "We're going to turn this around." And then to rattle off 19 straight wins was pretty special. The actual Frozen Four in Tampa was really cool. It was almost over the top because they treated us like we were celebrities. We got off the plane at around midnight, everyone was drowsy and tired, and they greeted us with a red carpet and a conga band and women in grass skirts giving us oranges. No one had any idea what was going on, so that was cool. And finally, just winning it and being on the ice with all the guys was unbelievable.

How does a team with the success you guys have had prevent from becoming complacent and satisfied with what you have already accomplished?
For the guys in my grade, we experienced what it was like to have success in one season and then have a lot expected of you next season only to fall short. We're not going to look at this season like we are defending a National Championship. Other teams may look at it that way - that they have to knock down the reigning champs. We're going to look at it like we have to attack teams just as much as they're going to attack us. We're not sitting back and defending anything. We want to go out and win another National Championship.

Switching gears now, how has your summer been? What have you been spending your time doing since the end of the school year?
My summer has been really good. It started off pretty relaxed when I went home to New Jersey. There I was basically just lifting. I went to Pittsburgh for a few days and skated a little bit with some of my friends. I'm actually from Pittsburgh so I don't really have any friends in New Jersey. I went on vacation to San Francisco and Napa Valley, which was some great quality time with my family. The first half of the summer was pretty relaxed. I was working out, but I wasn't skating as much. I was also taking piano lessons, which was really funny because I've never played before, but I wanted to be able to learn how to read music and be confident with music. So I went to this place for lessons and the instructor comes out, sees me, and is like, "Oh! I'm used to like 4 and 5 year-olds being here!" I'm better now than I was when I started, I made some good gains, but I'm still using the "adult beginner" book. I don't think it's something I can necessarily do during the school year, but once I graduate and I attempt to transition to professional hockey it could be a really good hobby. But anyway, that was the first half of the summer. In the second half of the summer I came back up to Boston and have been working out with some of the guys from the team. Those workouts are good because everyone is pushing each other to do better. I skate once or twice a week in pick-up games and there is a league I am also playing in one night a week. And then I went to the Washington Capitals prospect camp, which was a good barometer to see where you stand in the middle of the summer. It is a lot of skating and a lot of evaluation. That went really well. Now, I'm staying on campus and also at Bill Arnold's house, which is great because his parents are really generous and caring and I'm able to be around a few of the guys.

Is there anything that you are focusing on improving, with regards to your game, this offseason?
Physically, I want to improve my flexibility. I think it is something that inhibits me at times in my skating stride. I've been stretching a lot and am starting to do yoga once a week, which should be interesting. I think Parker Milner will go with me, which will be good. I also want to continue to get quicker on the ice, as well as improve my shot and offensive game. At the beginning of the season when the young guys are getting acclimated I might be called upon to have more of an offensive role than I have in years past. I want to be as ready as I can be if that opportunity comes up.

What is one of the most difficult aspects of the offseason - something that you dread each year?
What can be difficult is balancing my time in the summer between skating and other workouts so I'm not burned out by the time the season starts. One thing I dread is the running workouts that we have out on Shea Field. It can be really hot and I get sunburned pretty easily. But some days the football team is out there at the same time as us, which can be embarrassing because we're hockey players, we don't know how to run. I definitely dread those workouts. It's not that I don't do the workouts or that I don't try hard, it's just a grind to get through them.

The team lost a few very strong players on BC's blueline (Brian Dumoulin, Tommy Cross, and Edwin Shea) to graduation and to the NHL. In addition to you, the team returns defensemen Patch Alber and Isaac MacLeod and goaltenders Brian Billett and Parker Milner. How might you expect the team to adjust to the loss of the three veteran defensemen?
We definitely have some good players coming back that I think will help us get through the first couple weeks of the season while the young guys are getting acclimated. I think the biggest change will be getting used to the new guys and how they play. Early on in the season we'll have to be forgiving and flexible with the new guys. We know from years past that we can apply the cliché of, "It's not how you start, it's how you finish." It seems like all of the teams I have played for here may have been slow to start but then we are playing our best hockey when it comes time for playoffs and the NCAA Tournament. We all just have to trust the process.

Which player do you think has the potential to have a breakout season this year?
I think that Kevin Hayes has had a solid two years here, but I think he has the potential to be a big point-getter this season. He's looked good the few times I have skated with him. I think he is really poised to have a breakout year if he takes advantage of his opportunities.

It is very early to say, but what will be the biggest difference between last year's team and this year's team?
I'm hoping that, off the ice, we will be as close as a team as we were last year. I think that essentially switching out half of our defensive players will give us a different look on the ice. I'm not sure what that translates to, but I know Michael Matheson is supposed to be a very good offensive-defenseman and a good skater. Hopefully that gives us another weapon at the blueline. At this point, it is probably too early to say, though.

You were elected to serve as an assistant captain alongside captain Pat Mullane and assistant captain Steven Whitney during the spring. What was your reaction then and what is your outlook on serving in that role now?
I'm really excited. I was excited and I still am with the decisions the coaches made. I think Mullane was a good choice. You can tell by the way that he carries himself and how he acts in the locker room that he is our leader. I think Steve Whitney and I are guys that lead by example, while Mullane likes to do a lot of talking. We will complement each other well. I think being an assistant captain gives me a more unique role, much like how an assistant coach can be more personalable and focused on individual players than a head coach can be. The captain and head coach has to be a little more removed from the players, in a sense. I think I will be able to lead by example on the ice and say things when they need to be said to help out as best as possible.

You've played with and faced a number of elite goaltenders in your young career - at Boston College, at the World Junior Championships in Buffalo, at Washington Capitals prospect camp, etc. How would you characterize Parker Milner when you think of him in that context?
It's funny because, personally, he is really frustrating to me on the ice in practice. We grew up together and played Juniors together and now we're in college together, so I've been shooting on him forever and he knows exactly what I'm going to do. He basically just toys with me in practice. He is a great goalie - really good positionally, technically sound, and he works as hard as any of the elite goaltenders I've seen. He also works hard on his mental preparation, keeping a notebook and constantly being ready to play. What separates him from other goalies is that he's not a nutcase. Some goalies, before games, are in their own world and you can't speak to them. Parker is just one of the guys, though, and the way he has played shows that goalies can be goofy and not a nutcase. He is definitely a lot more normal than some of the goalies I've met.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Re: Wey Interview

Postby claver2010 on Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:35 am

MacLeod interview, he really took a step forward this past season:
http://www.bceagles.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/080212aaa.html

Q&A With Isaac MacLeod
"It's not enough for us to be good, we want to be great..."

Aug. 2, 2012

Junior defenseman Isaac MacLeod is a 6-foot-5, 210-pound defenseman from Nelson, British Columbia. He is a fifth round draft choice of the San Jose Sharks in the 2010 NHL Draft who was a crucial piece to BC’s corps of blueliners last season en route to the national championship. Following the graduation of two key veterans on defense and the departure of two-time All-American Brian Dumoulin to the professional ranks, MacLeod will enter the upcoming season as a key fixture on the Eagle defense. BC Athletics talked with him about last season and what he has been doing to prepare for another title run.

A few weeks ago Pat Wey gave us some insight as to what the national championship experience was like. What was your experience like? What are your lasting memories from that run to the championship?
The national championship run our team went on is something I'll remember forever. It was great to see our team come together so closely on and off the ice, which made the whole experience that much more enjoyable. I've never played on that kind of stage before so it was personally a great experience in that respect. I just tried to take it all in and appreciate the moment because you never know if you're going to earn the opportunity to play on that stage again. Another really cool thing for me personally was that my whole family – mom, dad, brother, sister and an uncle - were able to make the trip out to Florida and watch us play. Living out on the West Coast it's sometimes difficult for my family to come and watch many games so that was really nice to have them there supporting me and the Eagles.

What will the team do to not become complacent with the recent success you all have enjoyed?
I don't think this coming year will be any different from the previous years. When you come to Boston College to play hockey you come with the desire to win championships and that never stops. Each year our team wants to be playing our best hockey come trophy season and compete for the national championship. We're happy with the recent success our program has enjoyed but the culture we've developed at Boston College helps us to not become complacent. It's not enough for us to be good, we want to be great and I think that's what has allowed us to continue to contend for the national championship year after year.

On a different note, how has your summer been? What have you been spending your time doing?
My summer's been great so far, I spent the first bit at school training and taking a summer course. I've been home in Nelson, B.C. for about a month now and I've spent most of my time training, golfing, catching up with friends, going out on the lake and working. I got a job for the summer as the Nelson Regional Sports Council office clerk and museum curator so I've been busy doing some administrative work as well as giving tours of our new sports museum that just opened this summer. It's been great though to get back home and relax for a bit. They just put the ice in here about a week ago as well so I'm starting to get back into skating and continuing to train for the upcoming season.

It has been said by your teammates and coaches that you are an exceptional piano player. What other hobbies do you pursue in your spare time?
Yes, I used to play the piano as a kid growing up and I wish I could still play as well as I used to. These days I spend most of my free time golfing or on the lake in Nelson. The golf course is right around the corner from my house so I try to get out whenever I have the chance. I definitely want to try to get back into music though whether that is in piano or possibly taking some guitar lessons.

As you prepare for next season, what are you focusing on improving, with regards to your game?
I think the biggest things for me to improve on for this season are my physical strength and my confidence. If I'm able to put on some weight before the season starts I think that will help me in all areas of my game - skating, shooting, to just being more of a physical presence on the blueline. I think having more confidence and mental toughness going into this year will also help me to perform at a higher level. If I can go out on the ice and be confident in my abilities I feel I'll be able to play a larger role this year and help my team to continue to excel.

You are currently speaking to us from your hometown near Vancouver. What was it about Boston College that drew you all the way across the country? What other schools were you considering attending?
When I was deciding between schools it came down to Boston University, University of New Hampshire, Denver University, and Boston College. I ended up choosing BC because it had everything that I was looking for in a school. It has a very strong academic reputation, which appealed to my mother as she's a school teacher. It has a great campus and location. Being from a small town I wasn't sure if I wanted to be right in the middle of a city like Boston. The campus is in a quieter part of town, while at the same time being a short distance from downtown Boston so you get the best of both worlds. And finally, of course, the hockey program is excellent. I remember I think it was Greg Brown on my visit mentioning to me that every player that has stayed for four years over the last number of years, I can't remember exactly how many, had left school with a Beanpot title, a regular-season title, a Hockey East playoff title, and a national championship which sounded alright to me, too.

The team lost three key pieces from the blueline – Tommy Cross, Brian Dumoulin, and Edwin Shea. How does your role on defense change now that those veterans are gone?
Those defensemen were huge for our team last year and ate up a ton of minutes in a lot of big games. With them gone there are definitely going to be some opportunities for me, Patch Alber, and Patrick Wey to step into bigger roles this coming year. This year I may be asked to play on a shutdown defense pairing against other teams' top lines which I have to be ready for if needed. Those players were also leaders on our team so I may have to pick up a little bit of that slack, especially with the incoming freshmen on defense.

What strides do you think you need to make to fill the void left by those players?
Like I said, the biggest thing for me is to play with more confidence. I feel like I have the ability to play a big role on our team this year and will be able to step into whatever role our coaches ask of me. As long as I continue to improve each day and bring my best effort I feel like I'll be able to help fill the holes left by those players.

You were able to play against your brother last season in a game against Michigan Tech. What was that experience like? Was there any talk about it leading up to the game?
That was a really cool experience for me. I'd never played with or against my brother as he is a bit older than me so it was pretty special. I remember before the previous game the Michigan Tech trainer let me grab my brother's skates and snip his laces which he was pretty rattled about. I don't recall really saying much to him before the game about playing each other but during the game there was a little scrum in front of the net and everyone was just grabbing someone and kind of dragging them away and I looked down and all of a sudden realized I was holding onto my brother and we both kind of smirked and were like, “…oh God” (laughs). All in all it was a really cool experience though and I'm glad I got the chance to do that.

What is your outlook on next season? What do you think the team’s mentality will be once the season gets going?
I'm feeling good about the upcoming season. Obviously there are a lot of holes to be filled and questions to be answered with the number of guys that have left and what not but that's how it is in college hockey. There will definitely be an adjustment period, especially for some of the younger guys, but I feel like once our team gets together we'll be a tough team to beat. Our goal, as always, is to win another National Championship and I feel like we have a good opportunity to accomplish that feat if we are able to play up to our potential. Our coaches have been down this road before and more often than not once trophy season comes around they'll have us playing some exciting hockey.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Return to Kelley Rink