UMass Coach Steps Down

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

UMass Coach Steps Down

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:37 am

http://www.umassathletics.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/061912aaa.html

University of Massachusetts Men's Ice Hockey Head Coach Don "Toot" Cahoon has stepped down from his position as announced by Director of Athletics John McCutcheon Tuesday.

"Through the course of our recent conversations, coach Cahoon and I mutually agreed that it would be in the program's best interest for him to take this action at this time," McCutcheon said. "I want to thank coach Cahoon for his many contributions to UMass and the community. He has positioned the program well for future success, both on and off the ice, and we are excited to continue to build on the foundation that he has put in place."

"It's been an honor to coach and work with so many fine student-athletes over the last 12 years here at UMass," Cahoon said. "Their efforts and the efforts of the faculty, staff and community members will be fond memories of my time here at Massachusetts. I look forward to the continued growth and development of this program so that it will sustain itself at the most elite level within Hockey East. The privilege has been all mine."

Cahoon recently completed his 12th season in Amherst with a 166-225-42 record. His 166 victories are the most in program history. He has compiled a 333-380-73 mark in 25 years as a head coach, which includes a stint at Princeton from 1991-2000, Norwich University from 1979-82 and Lehigh from 1973-74.

In 2011-12, he led the Minutemen to a 13-18-5 mark and a their tenth-consecutive berth in the Hockey East playoffs.

Cahoon took the program to new levels nationally and in Hockey East. In 2007-08, UMass earned its highest national ranking ever, No. 5, after early-season victories over Notre Dame and Colorado College in the Lightning College Hockey Classic Championship.

It was the second time under Cahoon that the Minutemen had been ranked among the top seven teams in the country (the previous high ranking was No. 7 in 2003). Along with that, the Marblehead, Mass., native took UMass to its first ever NCAA Tournament in 2006-07 where the Mass Attack defeated Clarkson in the first round.

Four of the seven All-Americans in program history have come during Cahoon's time in Amherst: Thomas Pock (2004), Jonathan Quick (2007), James Marcou (2009) and Justin Braun (2010).

A national search for the program's 13th head coach will begin immediately.

Interestingly, asst coach Blaise MacDonald (coached at UML, played at BU) accepted a job to coach at Colby this week
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Re: UMass Coach Steps Down

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:58 pm

BTW as with any job on the east coast, Cav & Brown will get serious looks
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:12 pm

Whoever the new guy at Colby is will be a huge improvement over Tort's little brother. What a clown.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:14 pm

What is the story on this one? I have to believe something horrible happened to can someone at this point in the year.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:22 pm

First Cahoon absolutely blows. Their last 5 years in HE: 8th, 8th, 6th, 7th, 8th.

The main talk is a blow up with the AD/Pres. With them making the step up to D1 in football and searching for the glory days of Al Skinner in basketball, the hockey budget was severely cut. Cahoon wasn't happy, took his thoughts to the higher ups and got no where.

I also think it's plausible that they demanded pay cuts in staff. Makes sense considering I'd prefer to be the #2 at a D1 school in the best conf in the country (esp when the HC has long been rumored to be on the ropes) over being a #1 at a D3 school in bumblefuck, however I question that Blaise was sober enough to properly analyze this.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:28 am

Some very good insight (from a pretty good UMass blog) http://fearthetriangle.com/2012/06/19/toot-cahoon-era-ends-at-umass/

Several more thoughts on candidates:
1) Mark Dennehy at Merrimack: Don't see this one. Mack ponied up to keep him from going to NU last year, don't see UMass as the type of upgrade he'd be looking for
2) Cav: his name is rumored for every HC job
3) Brown: been on York's staff for 7 seasons
4) Mike Bavis at BU, like the BC assts, under a legendary coach -do they want to cut their teeth at a smaller program before being considered to replace a legend?

That being said, the UMass position is going to be a tough sell if the school is reducing support (I'm sure someone would take it but I consider NU to be a better position)
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:37 am

As expected, Cav to interview:

http://fearthetriangle.com/2012/06/23/cavanaugh-to-interview-at-umass/

Cavanaugh To Interview At UMass
JUNE 23, 2012
Sources have indicated to FTT that Boston College Associated Head Coach Mike Cavanaugh has landed an interview for the UMass head coaching vacancy. It’s unknown when that interview will take place. Cavanaugh, Jerry York’s top assistant for years, of course has been rumored in nearly every coaching opening in the Northeast in recent years and was a finalist for both the Providence and Northeastern jobs last offseason. Prior to that he interviewed for the positions at both Ohio State and Brown. For whatever reason however Cavanaugh hasn’t been able to secure any of the positions he has pursued. We’ll see if his luck changes with UMass. Though Cavanaugh has been at the Heights for a long time, his early career there did not overlap with the time when UMass AD John McCutcheon was an assistant AD there.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:31 pm

I wonder why Cavanaugh keeps getting passed up.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:55 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:I wonder why Cavanaugh keeps getting passed up.

I think it's a fair question.

The optimistic BC fan in me thinks that schools wonder how long York has left and know that Cav would be a serious candidate to replace him
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:43 pm

Thats what I figured, maybe he won't promise to stick around if the bc job poPs up after 1 year.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby bignick33 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:15 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:I wonder why Cavanaugh keeps getting passed up.

I think it's a fair question.

The optimistic BC fan in me thinks that schools wonder how long York has left and know that Cav would be a serious candidate to replace him

Loyalty!
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:38 am

Quick update:

Dennehy (BC grad at Mack) is their #1. Whether they would be able to pry him away, I doubt it. Merrimack ponied up after NU tried to grab him last summer and I'd view NU as a more desirable job than Zoomas.

They interviewed former Lake Superior St coach Frank Anzalone (led them to a championship in 88) but he's a long shot. They also have interest in current Quinnipiac coach.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:12 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Quick update:

Dennehy (BC grad at Mack) is their #1. Whether they would be able to pry him away, I doubt it. Merrimack ponied up after NU tried to grab him last summer and I'd view NU as a more desirable job than Zoomas.

They interviewed former Lake Superior St coach Frank Anzalone (led them to a championship in 88) but he's a long shot. They also have interest in current Quinnipiac coach.

UMass isn't paying well for this job. I'd be shocked if they got Dennehy.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:44 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:UMass isn't paying well for this job. I'd be shocked if they got Dennehy.

Agreed, Dennehy isn't getting the BC job whenever it opens up but after the work he's done at Merrimack he's probably looking for a bigger step up (though one could argue if Zoomas is even a step up from Mack and I'd agree, it's not given their current decisions).
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:18 pm

Well BC will have the same coaches this season, UMass picked QU's Rand Pecknold
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:22 pm

So CHN pulls a CNN, the search continues...
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:02 pm

Holy cross coach turns down umass

This is going about as well as a gene search, onto plan J

At the salary theyre offering, it's simply not that attractive of a job
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:15 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Holy cross coach turns down umass

This is going about as well as a gene search, onto plan J

At the salary theyre offering, it's simply not that attractive of a job

When that MAC football TV money starts rolling in, we'll see who's laughing then.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:05 pm

I know this crowd will appreciate this, he turned it down for 'family reasons'
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby RedBaron67 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:19 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:I know this crowd will appreciate this, he turned it down for 'family reasons'

We should show some sympathy; he really can't say publicly that he turned down the job because UMass won't come up with the money for a decent hockey program, so he has to fall back on the desirability of raising his kids in wonderful Worcester.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:44 am

I'm shocked schiano hasn't turned the job down yet
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:15 am

Maybe Bob Kraft will anonymously donate $5 million to endow the position of head coach for ZooMass hockey.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:58 am

According to ushr, cav has pulled his name out as he is, 'frustrated by the process thus far'
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby AdamBC on Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:43 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:According to ushr, cav has pulled his name out as he is, 'frustrated by the process thus far'

What a train wreck of a search - at this point hire a GA to be the head coach.
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:08 pm

Quick comment from Cav, curtesy of the BC Hockey Blog (best source out there btw): "Not much to say, just didn't want the job"
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:58 am

Any chance Spazz agrees to take the job? The commute from Hingham is a bitch but it probably buys him a few more years and it gives him more time to follow his kid's baseball team.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:23 am

UMass apparently has found their man, UVM asst John Micheletto

http://www.uscho.com/2012/07/15/report-vermont-assistant-micheletto-taking-umass-coaching-post/

Report: Vermont assistant Micheletto taking UMass coaching post
USCHO Staff Report • July 15, 2012

It appears the search is over for Massachusetts.

According to the Daily Hampshire Gazette, Vermont associate head coach John Micheletto has accepted the Minutemen’s offer and could be introduced as the school’s new head coach as soon as Monday.

Micheletto attended high school in Massachusetts at Milton Academy and graduated in 1990 from Dartmouth.

Micheletto, who has been at UVM since the 2003-04 season, coached prep school hockey in Pennsylvania before breaking into college coaching with stints at Union, under current Vermont coach Kevin Sneddon, and Notre Dame under former coach Dave Poulin.

UMass has been looking for a head coach since Don “Toot” Cahoon stepped down in June and Quinnipiac’s Rand Pecknold, Holy Cross’ Paul Pearl and USHL coach Mark Carlson all reportedly turned down offers to take over behind the the Minutemen bench.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby AdamBC on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:08 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:UMass apparently has found their man, UVM asst John Micheletto

http://www.uscho.com/2012/07/15/report-vermont-assistant-micheletto-taking-umass-coaching-post/

According to the Daily Hampshire Gazette, Vermont associate head coach John Micheletto has accepted the Minutemen’s offer and could be introduced as the school’s new head coach as soon as Monday.

Micheletto attended high school in Massachusetts at Milton Academy and graduated in 1990 from Dartmouth.

Micheletto, who has been at UVM since the 2003-04 season, coached prep school hockey in Pennsylvania before breaking into college coaching with stints at Union, under current Vermont coach Kevin Sneddon, and Notre Dame under former coach Dave Poulin.

UMass has been looking for a head coach since Don “Toot” Cahoon stepped down in June and Quinnipiac’s Rand Pecknold, Holy Cross’ Paul Pearl and USHL coach Mark Carlson all reportedly turned down offers to take over behind the the Minutemen bench.

At the rate this is going, how long until this is announced to be inaccurate and the search will continue?
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:24 am

AdamBC {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:UMass apparently has found their man, UVM asst John Micheletto

At the rate this is going, how long until this is announced to be inaccurate and the search will continue?

UMass has certainly made a slapstick comedy of the hiring process, but taking the #2 man from the conference doormat may finally be far enough down the food chain for it to stick this time.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby wolverineneshl on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:51 am

It's indicative how bad this is for UMass and why Cav easily made the decision to pull out of this mess, and stay in a good situation. Not that he would make a lot more as HC at UMass but money isn't everything. If he has kids, then they also get a free tuition at BC which is a great benefit too if they choose to attend BC, but everyone has to decide what school is good for them.
wolverineneshl
McGuinn Hall

Next

Return to Kelley Rink