NHL Playoff Pool (Make Finals Picks)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: NHL Playoff Pool (Make Finals Picks)

Postby commavegarage on Tue May 14, 2013 10:24 am

cant take anything away from the bruins, but wow - toronto refused to shot block.

I guess riemer looked like what muse would have had bc not been blocking every shot for him.

also - yeah...the softer teams both lost last night
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue May 14, 2013 10:37 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Lucic boarded the shit out of Gunnarson with like 5 minutes left and then went into beast mode over the next few minutes.

Though I do enjoy fans talking sanctimoniously about other players when every team has multiple shitheads/pussies/bitches/other terms on it.

And for the record, Pittsburgh has the worst homer announcers. Jack is a homer but he has enthusiasm, regardless of whether or not it's the B's or opposition playing well, and calls a great fight. He'd be a great national guy but I'm content to at least have someone that's entertaining over the horror of the Washington or Pittsburgh announcers. I would put Chicago up higher but, all you kids at home look right here, look here, look here, Eddie O sucks.

Edit: What was the Chara cheapshot? All I remember is the tossing of JVR when their sticks were tangled and putting the hand in/pushing back Lupul's face after Rask gave him a nice right cross, which made me chuckle.

Yeah, rask popped him after the skate took off his mask, and then Chara backhanded him to the nose after his helmet was off. The Kelly shot was the worst though, although Van Riemsdyk arguably dragged him down and should have gone to the box.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Tue May 14, 2013 10:42 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Jack is a homer but he has enthusiasm, regardless of whether or not it's the B's or opposition playing well, and calls a great fight. He'd be a great national guy.

Dude. I'll forgive you for getting carried away after the B's ridiculous comeback, but you should come back and rescind this in a day or two. Edwards is a clown who couldn't hack it on a national stage (ESPN).
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue May 14, 2013 10:51 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:Pretty impressive performance by gr8, resorting to the flying elbows

One could argue that's what the Broons did last night when they thought they were done. Bunch of cheap shots in that game, particularly Kelly and Chara. One could argue that that level of intensity also turned the game around, since Lucic was the catalyst.

Was watching Rangers.

Heard about Kelly. The Toronto media was begging Carlyle to go after the refs in the postgame presser. He didn't really bite, only said he thought the Lucic hit was a penalty. Granted I only saw about 15 minutes of the game.

Edwards is a joke
Last edited by claver2010 on Tue May 14, 2013 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue May 14, 2013 10:55 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:Pretty impressive performance by gr8, resorting to the flying elbows

One could argue that's what the Broons did last night when they thought they were done. Bunch of cheap shots in that game, particularly Kelly and Chara. One could argue that that level of intensity also turned the game around, since Lucic was the catalyst.

Was watching Rangers.

Heard about Kelly. The Toronto media was begging Carlyle to go after the refs in the postgame presser. He didn't really bite, only said he thought the Lucic hit was a penalty. Granted I only saw about 15 minutes of the game.

Lucic's hit was a penalty, but it wasn't a cheap shot. Kelly's and Chara's (to varying degrees) were each after play was dead and were shots to the face. Kelly's was a vicious elbow.

Rough shit doesn't bother me much, but my fellow Broons fans just need to remember shit like that when they start crying about the Savard and Bergeron injuries.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Tue May 14, 2013 11:01 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Jack is a homer but he has enthusiasm, regardless of whether or not it's the B's or opposition playing well, and calls a great fight. He'd be a great national guy.

Dude. I'll forgive you for getting carried away after the B's ridiculous comeback, but you should come back and rescind this in a day or two. Edwards is a clown who couldn't hack it on a national stage (ESPN).

On a national stage he would presumably not be calling Bruins games the entire time. I've believed this for a while.

Nevermind, he did call hockey for them until 2003. At which point ESPN dropped hockey. And then he called it for HDNet. So it's a moot point.
Last edited by flyingelvii on Tue May 14, 2013 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue May 14, 2013 11:03 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Was watching Rangers.

Lucic's hit was a penalty, but it wasn't a cheap shot. Kelly's and Chara's (to varying degrees) were each after play was dead and were shots to the face. Kelly's was a vicious elbow.

Rough shit doesn't bother me much, but my fellow Broons fans just need to remember shit like that when they start crying about the Savard and Bergeron injuries.

Oh come on now. You're comparing minor penalties to suspendable offenses.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue May 14, 2013 11:05 am

He was on a national stage. He called games for ESPN for 4 years and got run off.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue May 14, 2013 11:05 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Was watching Rangers.

And my point is made.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Tue May 14, 2013 11:06 am

ESPN dropped hockey, he called it for HDNet for a year and then joined NESN. Might be a year in between but he's always been in demand.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue May 14, 2013 11:07 am

One could suggest that he also didn't go completely batshit crazy until just about right before he got booted by ESPN.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Tue May 14, 2013 11:07 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Was watching Rangers.

And my point is made.

And I'm guessing you didn't have a point and are just bored as it's a Chewbacca defense. Apologies for taking the bait.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue May 14, 2013 11:10 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Was watching Rangers.

And my point is made.

And I'm guessing you didn't have a point and are just bored as it's a Chewbacca defense. Apologies for taking the bait.

Nope. Point was Broons fans would definitely downplay the Kelly cheap shot. And you just did. Case Desmithed.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Tue May 14, 2013 11:13 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:ESPN dropped hockey, he called it for HDNet for a year and then joined NESN. Might be a year in between but he's always been in demand.

Great. Boston is welcome to keep him. Unfortunately, being a Rangers fan in Boston, I have to listen to the guy for the next 2 weeks.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue May 14, 2013 11:15 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:ESPN dropped hockey, he called it for HDNet for a year and then joined NESN. Might be a year in between but he's always been in demand.

Great. Boston is welcome to keep him. Unfortunately, being a Rangers fan in Boston, I have to listen to the guy for the next 2 weeks.

Nope, last night was their last of the playoffs.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue May 14, 2013 11:15 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

Nope, last night was their last of the playoffs.

I did not know that. Sweet.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue May 14, 2013 11:22 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Was watching Rangers.

And my point is made.

Nope. Point was Broons fans would definitely downplay the Kelly cheap shot. And you just did. Case Desmithed.

I didn't say it wasn't cheap. Just that it was a minor penalty. Comparing it to suspendable cheap shots is retarded. Your turn prosecutor.

Edit: Not comparing I guess (I won't strawman you like you did me) but associating the two are dumb.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue May 14, 2013 11:29 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Was watching Rangers.

And my point is made.

I didn't say it wasn't cheap. Just that it was a minor penalty. Comparing it to suspendable cheap shots is retarded. Your turn prosecutor.

Edit: Not comparing I guess (I won't strawman you like you did me) but associating the two are dumb.

A. Has it been determined that Shanadouche isn't suspending him? Because I would give him a game for that.

B. Savard's wasn't any more egregious (just harder because he skated into him) and it was in the course of play.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MaxxPower325 on Tue May 14, 2013 11:37 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

Boston fans are in announcer purgatory after a few decades of two of the best in the business in Fred Cusick and Dave Wilson.

Fred was, for my money, the best ever. Even pairing him with a drunk, drugged, incoherent Derek Sanderson didn't phase him....
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue May 14, 2013 11:44 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Was watching Rangers.

And my point is made.

A. Has it been determined that Shanadouche isn't suspending him? Because I would give him a game for that.

B. Savard's wasn't any more egregious (just harder because he skated into him) and it was in the course of play.

If Rene Bourque and his sterling history didn't get one for a non-injurious blatant and uncalled elbow to Conacher's head, I'd be surprised if Kelly did with his history of no priors or anything. Who the fuck knows with Shanahan though. My guess is JVR didn't get the benefit of the call due to his antics all series and I'm more inclined to think of that as a 2 than a game like Ference but it's closer than I recalled from last night. It does raise the more interesting point of whether there is a unsuspendable elbowing penalty now. I don't think the Chara thing was much more than a minor penalty if anything. Front of net scrum.

Regarding Savard, it is more egregious because it's more dangerous since it's in the course of skating, adding the elements speed, momentum and all that jazz to it, magnifying it. There's also the Matt Cooke factor. Bergeron's IMO was more of a hockey play gone wrong. Still suspendable but it's not like Randy Jones is Ulf Samuelsson or anything.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue May 14, 2013 11:44 am

MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

Boston fans are in announcer purgatory after a few decades of two of the best in the business in Fred Cusick and Dave Wilson.

Fred was, for my money, the best ever. Even pairing him with a drunk, drugged, incoherent Derek Sanderson didn't phase him....

No love for Dale?
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby MaxxPower325 on Tue May 14, 2013 11:48 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

No love for Dale?

Dale and Dave Shea. Lord help me.

Kathryn Tappen is doubly missed this year. Not only do we not have Kat and her assets, we re-acquired Dale to fill her...seat. A very sad turn of events.
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue May 14, 2013 11:51 am

There is no way Shanahan will suspend anyone from a team facing off against the Rangers. If there is one thing we know about Shanny it is that he has a hard on for the Rangers like they are married to Craig Janney or something. His actions during last year's playoffs were fucking comical. Oh well, his wife is a fucked out whore.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue May 14, 2013 11:52 am

Oh I agree on Chara - that was no big deal, it was cheap, but it was at worst a minor. I see Kelly's as much different - after the play, intentional blow to the head with the elbow. I concede your point about the who on both ends in all cases - certainly everyone knows Van Riemsdyk is an epic whining pussy that does shit like lie on players, and that may have played a role. In a vacuum though, the elbow was egregious.

The Matt Cooke play was a harder hit, and more dangerous. But as you note, the "who" factor works in both directions - That being Matt Cooke's shoulder is a lot different than Kelly's elbow, regardless of how egregious the hits were respectively.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Tue May 14, 2013 11:59 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Oh I agree on Chara - that was no big deal, it was cheap, but it was at worst a minor. I see Kelly's as much different - after the play, intentional blow to the head with the elbow. I concede your point about the who on both ends in all cases - certainly everyone knows Van Riemsdyk is an epic whining pussy that does shit like lie on players, and that may have played a role. In a vacuum though, the elbow was egregious.

The Matt Cooke play was a harder hit, and more dangerous. But as you note, the "who" factor works in both directions - That being Matt Cooke's shoulder is a lot different than Kelly's elbow, regardless of how egregious the hits were respectively.

Cooke chicken winged his elbow out.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby bchockey04 on Tue May 14, 2013 4:44 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:A couple of more fun facts for the most ignorant fans in professional sports. Holtby finished in the bottom half of the league in both GAA and Save Percentage. McPhee was desperately trying to make a deal for Ryan Miller at the trade deadline--apparently offered up Green or Carlson or Backstrom and multiple draft picks but was turned down. Finally, as Alan May said this morning "I don't know why anyone would expect the organ-eye-zation to wed itself to a 2008 4th round draft pick with a record of poor playoff performances when it matters most."

And is their a worse announcing pair in any professional sports than Joe Benati and Craig Lacher? The only thing that could make it worse is if John Sterling did hockey games and joined them in the booth.

Sigh. Unfortunately I have to take most of this because of the terrible loss. I didn't see any if the last 3 games cause I'm out of the country. But the fact that you're still harping on the Holtby angle is bizarre. The caps scored 2 goals in the last 3 games. 2....goals. He was far from their problem.

Also his sv% in the regular season was a very solid .920 with 4 shutouts. His GAA was high because he sucked for the first two weeks. The Caps main problem is that without Laich and Erat they had 3 top 6 forwards (ovechkin, ribeiro, and Backstrom) 2 of whom did nothing it seems (ovechkin was at least flying around it seems like).

If McPhee was trying to get Miller, which I don't believe, he would have been nuts to trade Green or Carlson...the caps are also short a top 4 d-man...they have 3 number 6 d-men. McPhee's contracts he handed out this season were awful (Erskine and Hillen specifically). If Leonsis had any brains, he'd get rid of McPhee who has now been here for 15 years and made the finals once with David Poile's players. Terrible team management. He's basically tying his hat to Tom Wilson and Kuznetsov being stud prospects.

Oh and I like Beninatti...but LAughlin can go. The caps radio guy is terrible too.
bchockey04
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue May 14, 2013 9:11 pm

take a seat gryba

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed May 15, 2013 8:27 am

Orpik almost knocked himself out.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed May 15, 2013 8:34 am

bchockey04 {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:A couple of more fun facts for the most ignorant fans in professional sports. Holtby finished in the bottom half of the league in both GAA and Save Percentage. McPhee was desperately trying to make a deal for Ryan Miller at the trade deadline--apparently offered up Green or Carlson or Backstrom and multiple draft picks but was turned down. Finally, as Alan May said this morning "I don't know why anyone would expect the organ-eye-zation to wed itself to a 2008 4th round draft pick with a record of poor playoff performances when it matters most."

And is their a worse announcing pair in any professional sports than Joe Benati and Craig Lacher? The only thing that could make it worse is if John Sterling did hockey games and joined them in the booth.

Sigh. Unfortunately I have to take most of this because of the terrible loss. I didn't see any if the last 3 games cause I'm out of the country. But the fact that you're still harping on the Holtby angle is bizarre. The caps scored 2 goals in the last 3 games. 2....goals. He was far from their problem.

Also his sv% in the regular season was a very solid .920 with 4 shutouts. His GAA was high because he sucked for the first two weeks. The Caps main problem is that without Laich and Erat they had 3 top 6 forwards (ovechkin, ribeiro, and Backstrom) 2 of whom did nothing it seems (ovechkin was at least flying around it seems like).

If McPhee was trying to get Miller, which I don't believe, he would have been nuts to trade Green or Carlson...the caps are also short a top 4 d-man...they have 3 number 6 d-men. McPhee's contracts he handed out this season were awful (Erskine and Hillen specifically). If Leonsis had any brains, he'd get rid of McPhee who has now been here for 15 years and made the finals once with David Poile's players. Terrible team management. He's basically tying his hat to Tom Wilson and Kuznetsov being stud prospects.

Oh and I like Beninatti...but LAughlin can go. The caps radio guy is terrible too.

Reading this post, it makes me feel sad. I'd much rather beat up on pedro, but he is a coward and didn't show up to take his medicine. Putting the Caps to bed for yet another season I am amazed at what came out of their postseason interviews today. There are a lot of guys on that team who need some psychiatric help this summer. Alzner's comments about expecting to lose even when up 2-0 and 3-2 in the series coupled with his comments about doubting whether this core can ever make a deep run in the playoffs is beyond telling. Chimera said the same thing and Ovechkin--albeit in broken english--essentially said there is a loser mentality in the organization. They really do need to clean out the stables at the Kettler Complex. McPhee has to go and one of the "stars" or even two need to be packaged off and sent away to make room for a kick ass goalie and some mid-tier character guys (Scurderi-types who know how to win).

As for this round of the playoffs, I very much like the Original Six/Expansion divide in the East and West. Hawks-Wings tonight should be a lot of fun. The Hawks should win this series, but I think the geriatrics from the Motor City have enough savvy to make it interesting.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed May 15, 2013 8:46 am

I, too, am fascinated by the way the 4 original six lined up against each other and the 4 expansion did the same. Odd, but good for ratings.

I have a feeling the Bruins Rangers series is going to take too much out of the winner to have much left after the Pens sweep that shitty Ottawa team.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Kelley Rink