NHL Playoff Pool (Make Finals Picks)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: NHL Playoff Pool

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:36 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:As a life-long Ranger fan, I expect them to fail miserably. Also, nice to see Shanahan does nothing about Neal's cheap shot on Boyle. I was talking to a guy who works for MSG--they are considering a campaign against Shanny.

Shanahan's dart board of punishments came up empty.

It was late, blindside, & high but I think the comments postgame by the Sens were worse than the hit, saying they "finished the job on Boyle". I hope Rupp rearranges his face, once he gets out of the box Bickle further does such & then Prust ends his career.

I don't get why his fight with Karlsson started all this shit? Is Karlsson a lot smaller or a guy with very few PIMs? I know nothing of the Senators. Also launch is too much. I have watched this like 10 times and can't tell if he even left the ice. The best angle is if you start at 13 seconds, hit is at 16.

domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:41 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:As a life-long Ranger fan, I expect them to fail miserably. Also, nice to see Shanahan does nothing about Neal's cheap shot on Boyle. I was talking to a guy who works for MSG--they are considering a campaign against Shanny.

It was late, blindside, & high but I think the comments postgame by the Sens were worse than the hit, saying they "finished the job on Boyle". I hope Rupp rearranges his face, once he gets out of the box Bickle further does such & then Prust ends his career.

I don't get why his fight with Karlsson started all this shit? Is Karlsson a lot smaller or a guy with very few PIMs? I know nothing of the Senators. Also launch is too much. I have watched this like 10 times and can't tell if he even left the ice. The best angle is if you start at 13 seconds, hit is at 16.

It was definitely a blind-side hit. I don't think it was late (not that this really matters considering where it came from). I don't think he left his feet. The key thing is that I don't think he hit Boyle's head, so it's NOT a Rule 48 violation. Considering the fact that it was sort of from behind, I wouldn't have had a problem with a roughing or hitting-from-behind type of penalty being assessed.

I've been as outspoken as anyone about head shots in hockey, but I don't think this one was all that bad despite the end result, and I think Torts overreacted post-game about as much as one can overreact (albeit, in the heat of the moment) with his exaggerations and mischaracterizations.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:44 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Can't see youtube at work but I've seen the play over and over.

It wasn't even a fight, Boyle just gave him some jabs after the whistle. The Sens probably saw it as a big goon picking on one of their best players, but Boyle has only dropped the gloves 3 times this year on a team that led the league in fights.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:46 am

Bruins game yesterday had the highest rating for any non-SCF playoff game in 14 years. Up 56% on last year.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby MaxxPower325 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:00 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

It was definitely a blind-side hit. I don't think it was late (not that this really matters considering where it came from). I don't think he left his feet. The key thing is that I don't think he hit Boyle's head, so it's NOT a Rule 48 violation. Considering the fact that it was sort of from behind, I wouldn't have had a problem with a roughing or hitting-from-behind type of penalty being assessed.

I've been as outspoken as anyone about head shots in hockey, but I don't think this one was all that bad despite the end result, and I think Torts overreacted post-game about as much as one can overreact (albeit, in the heat of the moment) with his exaggerations and mischaracterizations.

That hit was similar to the one that got Danny Paille suspended last year, only I thought Paille's was much more in the flow of the play whereas Neil could easily have averted the contact. Paille, a guy who rarely even hits anyone gets suspended, Neil, a goon, gets nothing. The hit on Horton last year is also a good comparison.

"Finishing your check" in open ice should be strongly discouraged in any event. Much too dangerous.
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:12 am

MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:That hit was similar to the one that got Danny Paille suspended last year, only I thought Paille's was much more in the flow of the play whereas Neil could easily have averted the contact. Paille, a guy who rarely even hits anyone gets suspended, Neil, a goon, gets nothing. The hit on Horton last year is also a good comparison.

"Finishing your check" in open ice should be strongly discouraged in any event. Much too dangerous.

Disagreed but there's a difference between a clean hit and a blindside one.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:34 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Can't see youtube at work but I've seen the play over and over.

It wasn't even a fight, Boyle just gave him some jabs after the whistle. The Sens probably saw it as a big goon picking on one of their best players, but Boyle has only dropped the gloves 3 times this year on a team that led the league in fights.

They don't think Boyle is a goon. That's not possible given the sheer volume of scouting and tape teams do. They think he's a giant pussy that picks on smaller players and doesn't man up when he's called out for it by people who are closer to his size. And when you do that to a team's best player and that team is not named the Vancouver Canucks, you're going to have a target on your back. This also makes the earlier discussion about Lucic all the more ironic.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:40 am

MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

That hit was similar to the one that got Danny Paille suspended last year, only I thought Paille's was much more in the flow of the play whereas Neil could easily have averted the contact. Paille, a guy who rarely even hits anyone gets suspended, Neil, a goon, gets nothing. The hit on Horton last year is also a good comparison.

Paille got his head flush and came from more of a blind side than Neil IMO. The Wild guy would have no chance of seeing Paille, while Boyle likely could have caught a glimpse of Neil coming for him.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:42 am

If you think that is Boyle's rep you are a fucking idiot. If anything, Boyle pisses people off because he won't use his size against smaller players. And he certainly doesn't engage in Lucic-type fighting (only dropping the gloves when you have a significant size advantage)--he basically doesn't fight anyone.

In other news, the fact remains that this is all on Torts. The simple answer is to simply take out Karlson. Have Bickle or someone else do it and then basically tell the Sens "You want to keep playing it like this Spezza is next." I am amazed that a team that didn't take any shit from anyone this entire year is suddenly terrified of administering frontier justice in the playoffs.

It makes me long for the day that Messier buried Doug Gilmour with the two hander. Scott Stevens was completely ineffectual for the rest of that series.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:45 am

The Rangers have no business losing this series, but I worry about the cauldron they're walking into tonight. Tortorella has been preaching mental toughness to them for two years, but they'll have a lot working against them tonight. Between their anger for the Neil hit, the intensity of Ottawa's crowd, and the fact that Torts screams at them incessantly, I could easily see Rangers' players losing their cool. If they do, Ottawa should shred them on the PP.

Either way, it'll be interesting. I'm definitely tuning in tonight, if only for the National Anthems.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:08 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:If you think that is Boyle's rep you are a fucking idiot. If anything, Boyle pisses people off because he won't use his size against smaller players. And he certainly doesn't engage in Lucic-type fighting (only dropping the gloves when you have a significant size advantage)--he basically doesn't fight anyone.

In other news, the fact remains that this is all on Torts. The simple answer is to simply take out Karlson. Have Bickle or someone else do it and then basically tell the Sens "You want to keep playing it like this Spezza is next." I am amazed that a team that didn't take any shit from anyone this entire year is suddenly terrified of administering frontier justice in the playoffs.

It makes me long for the day that Messier buried Doug Gilmour with the two hander. Scott Stevens was completely ineffectual for the rest of that series.

No but he engages in a lot of activity in and around whistles, very often with smaller players. I've seen him do it in every B's game as well as most other Rags games I've watched. If I'm mistaken, then so be it, but I feel like the sample size is big enough for me to comment on this.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:09 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:The Rangers have no business losing this series, but I worry about the cauldron they're walking into tonight. Tortorella has been preaching mental toughness to them for two years, but they'll have a lot working against them tonight. Between their anger for the Neil hit, the intensity of Ottawa's crowd, and the fact that Torts screams at them incessantly, I could easily see Rangers' players losing their cool. If they do, Ottawa should shred them on the PP.

Either way, it'll be interesting. I'm definitely tuning in tonight, if only for the National Anthems.

Don't they usually skip them for NBC Sports broadcasts?
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:11 pm

bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:42 pm

Short press conf for Torts today:

Q: So how do you hope having Hagelin back in the lineup will help your offense tonight? (yes that was how it was worded)
A: Should help

Q: Any update on Boyle? How's he doing?
A: Not good
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:23 pm

Rupp takes bad penalty. Ottawa leads 1-0.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:50 pm

Kreider scores to give the Rangers a 3-1 lead.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:50 pm

Kreider! Rooting for Ottawa obviously but good to see him get his first goal
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby AdamBC on Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:56 pm

Wow, great goal for Kreider!
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:32 pm

As a fake sens fan for the evening, i didn't care for that inviso-interference of Lundqvist that led the the 5 on 3 and pretty much cost the sens the game(and probably the series).
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:35 pm

but its just bad all around as the Kreider penalty right before the 5 on 3 was similarly garbage.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:58 pm

That goal at the end was fuycking garbage.

That scumbag had his stick in Lundqvist's gut and kicks it in.

They review it, goal.

Karma Neil
Last edited by claver2010 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:01 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:As a fake sens fan for the evening, i didn't care for that inviso-interference of Lundqvist that led the the 5 on 3 and pretty much cost the sens the game(and probably the series).

Really?
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:20 pm

CNBC speculating Hank will get $2,500 fine for comments. Makes sense in NHL after Weber got same for smashing someones head in glass
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:24 pm

Neil: going to catch Del Zotto with his head down one of these times

If he comes out of this series with the ability to walk, it'll be a severe disappoinment
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:26 pm

NY media will go after the NHL for the next two days. The League is corrupt and Lundqvist only said what everyone who has watched this league for years has known.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:33 pm

Phoenix wins in 6.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:37 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:NY media will go after the NHL for the next two days. The League is corrupt and Lundqvist only said what everyone who has watched this league for years has known.

I love that NY thinks the NHL has a conspiracy against them. Have you seen the remaining teams in the playoffs? The NHL should be doing everything in its power to ensure NY gets as far as possible (see: goalie interference call). They'll probably even put Van Massenhoven on the crew for Game 7.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:37 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:CNBC speculating Hank will get $2,500 fine for comments. Makes sense in NHL after Weber got same for smashing someones head in glass

It's the max fine allowed by the CBA.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:48 pm

Jimmy Hayes got tossed for a bad hit tonight.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:13 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:CNBC speculating Hank will get $2,500 fine for comments. Makes sense in NHL after Weber got same for smashing someones head in glass

It's the max fine allowed by the CBA.

It was a joke equating the seriousness of each action.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

PreviousNext