NHL Playoff Pool (Make Finals Picks)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: NHL Playoff Pool (Make Second Round Picks)

Postby flyingelvii on Mon May 07, 2012 9:44 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:Giroux is going to have a shanaban hearing

Not worried. I think this series is over anyway, thanks to Lou Lamarillo's latest attempt to ruin the NHL (tampa 1-3-1 shit but better executed combined with garbage ice - pierre penis face mcguire mentioned the red hot chilli peppers concert being in the rink the night before no less than 5 times), but regardless it was Danius Fucking Zubrus who got hit and he didn't even miss a shift, Giroux didn't leave the ice and is Giroux.

Pierre has more of a penis head IMO.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon May 07, 2012 9:47 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:I think it is great that the refs allowed the Caps to drag down two Rangers before Pussy Green tallied the game winner. This coupled with Ovi's dirty ass head hunting just proves how incompetent the hack who run this league truly are.

Also, there are no worse fans in the NHL than Caps fans. Aside from being front runners of the worst sort, they also know nothing about the game. I laughed out loud when Ovi got called for his illegal cheap shot and the fuckheads who run the Verizon Center played a clip of a ref failing an eye test. I saw Leonisis after the game and told him we'd be pulling out of Revolution Money venture (which was the purpose of going to the game). I must say that I enjoyed it particularly after watching the sheer fucktardedness of his fanbase.

Anyway, if I'm the Rangers I have Rupp two-hand Ovi in the throat to start game 5. The thing is that the Caps play cheap and chippy like the collection of Eurofeuges that they are. rather than allow them to do the slew footing and stick work Torts should just have Bickel or Rupp administer an opening faceoff beatdown on Chimera or some other punk.

I'll tackle the first paragraph first.

The 3rd period was absolutely comical. Boyle gets slashed, his stick breaks but no call. Hagelin slashes some "Eurofegue", he drops his stick, and gets the call.

Callahan has the puck and gets taken down, no call.

Ovi also knew exactly who he was leaping into, "incidental contact" my ass.

As for the 3rd paragraph, I would love for Rupp/Bickel to set the tone tonight. The best case is when Ovi pulls his Eric Lindros routine to cut to the middle of the ice simply lay him out like Staal did earlier (game 3 maybe?).
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Mon May 07, 2012 10:02 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:I think it is great that the refs allowed the Caps to drag down two Rangers before Pussy Green tallied the game winner. This coupled with Ovi's dirty ass head hunting just proves how incompetent the hack who run this league truly are.

Also, there are no worse fans in the NHL than Caps fans. Aside from being front runners of the worst sort, they also know nothing about the game. I laughed out loud when Ovi got called for his illegal cheap shot and the fuckheads who run the Verizon Center played a clip of a ref failing an eye test. I saw Leonisis after the game and told him we'd be pulling out of Revolution Money venture (which was the purpose of going to the game). I must say that I enjoyed it particularly after watching the sheer fucktardedness of his fanbase.

Anyway, if I'm the Rangers I have Rupp two-hand Ovi in the throat to start game 5. The thing is that the Caps play cheap and chippy like the collection of Eurofeuges that they are. rather than allow them to do the slew footing and stick work Torts should just have Bickel or Rupp administer an opening faceoff beatdown on Chimera or some other punk.

And some say Hunter whines.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Mon May 07, 2012 10:04 am

At least the Caps bigger bodies will throw their fists.

Quite frankly, I still hope both teams die of AIDS that eventually cross into Newark and take out the Devils as well.

Edit: I wouldn't mind having Philly come back against Jersey. They actually have a fun and, GASP, likeable team, aside from that fucking douchefaced Briere. Scott Hartnell is just awesome.
Last edited by flyingelvii on Mon May 07, 2012 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon May 07, 2012 10:09 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:At least the Caps bigger bodies will throw their fists.

Quite frankly, I still hope both teams die of AIDS that eventually cross into Newark and take out the Devils as well.

I feel so dirty pulling for the Flyers to come out of the East (at which point I will of course root for them to be stomped). The entertainment value of the rest of the Eastern Conference playoffs is not promising.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon May 07, 2012 10:49 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:

As the announcers pointed out, it was a clearly a frustration thing. He'll get a game at least. Giroux of all people should know better.

I doubt it. Again, Dainius Zubrus. You should be able to shoot Dainius Zubrus in the face without penalty if you are Claude Giroux. Just like James Neal can take head shots and Sean Couturier all day and get nothing.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon May 07, 2012 10:51 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

As the announcers pointed out, it was a clearly a frustration thing. He'll get a game at least. Giroux of all people should know better.

I doubt it. Again, Dainius Zubrus. You should be able to shoot Dainius Zubrus in the face without penalty if you are Claude Giroux. Just like James Neal can take head shots and Sean Couturier all day and get nothing.

Why do you hate Lithuania?
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon May 07, 2012 10:55 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Answering the original point to disguise my anti-lithuanian agenda:

1) hitter is superstar;
2) hittee is interchangeable 2nd/3rd line forward;
3) hitter did not leave his feet (most important);
4) hitee is not injured;
5) hitter did not obviously turn to look where he was hitting;
6) there is literally no way that Toronto can want NJ in the next round. The Devils are, without exaggeration, the reason the NHL is on Versus instead of a real channel and almost died once. They have not changed that much.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon May 07, 2012 11:03 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

1) hitter is superstar;

To focus on points one and two, would it be fair to say that you won't complain if Giroux is suspended? After all, it would demonstrate a discontinuation of the "double-standard" that you've been harping on for months and months.

PS: While your misdirection regarding the anti-Lithuanian agenda is working for now, I'll probably bump this thread in about 18 months (as is my custom) and call you on it at that time.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby bchockey04 on Mon May 07, 2012 11:12 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

The 3rd period was absolutely comical. Boyle gets slashed, his stick breaks but no call. Hagelin slashes some "Eurofegue", he drops his stick, and gets the call.

As for the 3rd paragraph, I would love for Rupp/Bickel to set the tone tonight. The best case is when Ovi pulls his Eric Lindros routine to cut to the middle of the ice simply lay him out like Staal did earlier (game 3 maybe?).

First of all, on the winning goal, callahan lost his balance after backstrom and semin both lifted his stick. There was no tripping and last i knew stick lifting was allowed as long as you don't get it up around the hands. 2nd of all, the caps had a total of 2 power plays all game and the rangers just got done a game where they had 2 power plays in OT of a playoff game. Yes the refs suck. The capitals are keeping the rangers outside, and aside from callahan, no one is getting dirty. If Wideman and Schultz didn't revert to their stupid ways on the 2nd goal -- I don't think the capitals have any trouble putting this one away.
2nd of all, please look at this picture and tell me again ovechkin was head hunting.

Foot is still on the ground, shoulder hit first. He tried to kick the puck out of his skates about half a second earlier. It was a reaction check. If anything it was interference, not even charging. Maybe if Giardi wasn't such a pussy and actually tried to hit ovechkin rather than reaching and ducking, maybe he would have put Ovechkin on his ass.

The only reason it got any attention was because it was Ovechkin, and the NBC guys blew it way out of proportion.

This hit occurred in the same game t...and nothing was paid attention to it and it was worse than Ovechkin's hit (specifically the head was targeted). But it got no attention because NBC didn't even bother pointing it out.
bchockey04
Carney Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon May 07, 2012 11:20 am

God your stupid. The owner of your fucking team said "we got away with one there, but I'll take it." Let me guess, you have no fucking idea who Rod Langway is. No need to feel bad, neither do the other 99.5% of the Caps fanbase.

As for your second point, I see a filthy fucking Slav jumping at someone's head--someone who is looking at the play while the Slav headhunts. It's funny, I was sitting next to Gord Lane at the game and he roots against the Caps (despite being an "alum") largely because he hates the Eurofegues--actually calls them all "Soviets" who populate your roster. He also pointed out that during the salute for the troops that the Rangers were banging their sticks on the cie while the Caps skated in circles. I think he said it best when he said "There not saluting because the fucking Soviets are rooting for Al Qaeda."

Anyway, please draw a handy diagram that explains why Mike Green is a climidic vuhgyna. That would be a much more valuable use of your time.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon May 07, 2012 11:20 am

i hate when people say x team got a power play in ot so the refs are favoring them. you have to do something pretty fucking stupid to get a penalty in ot.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon May 07, 2012 11:29 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

1) hitter is superstar;

To focus on points one and two, would it be fair to say that you won't complain if Giroux is suspended? After all, it would demonstrate a discontinuation of the "double-standard" that you've been harping on for months and months.

PS: While your misdirection regarding the anti-Lithuanian agenda is working for now, I'll probably bump this thread in about 18 months (as is my custom) and call you on it at that time.

you clearly don't understand how harping about a double standard is supposed to work. it is only a double standard if the result is not to my liking. durrr.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby bchockey04 on Mon May 07, 2012 11:32 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:God your stupid. The owner of your fucking team said "we got away with one there, but I'll take it." Let me guess, you have no fucking idea who Rod Langway is. No need to feel bad, neither do the other 99.5% of the Caps fanbase.

As for your second point, I see a filthy fucking Slav jumping at someone's head--someone who is looking at the play while the Slav headhunts. It's funny, I was sitting next to Gord Lane at the game and he roots against the Caps (despite being an "alum") largely because he hates the Eurofegues--actually calls them all "Soviets" who populate your roster. He also pointed out that during the salute for the troops that the Rangers were banging their sticks on the cie while the Caps skated in circles. I think he said it best when he said "There not saluting because the fucking Soviets are rooting for Al Qaeda."

Anyway, please draw a handy diagram that explains why Mike Green is a climidic vuhgyna. That would be a much more valuable use of your time.

Rod Langway was a great player. So was everyone else on those 80's teams. Bob Gould, Kelly Miller, Mike Ridley. Remember when they made that great run in 1990? John Druce and Geoff Courtnall owned the Rangers in the 2nd round and Ciccarelli and Stevens also had great post-seasons. In fact, Rod Langway scored the biggest OT goal of his career in that series...I was there. Was also there when the islanders beat the caps in 4 OT's on Easter Sunday in '87. Pete Peeters played great, but the caps just couldn't put one in (god Mike Gartner was a choke artist)...Don't test me on caps history thanks.

There are a lot of caps fans that are new since Ovechkin arrived. But let's not forget the caps have a die hard maryland fan base that kind of got displaced when the team moved into DC in '98 (we were some of them...my parents had season tickets from '79-97). Those fans have always been there in spirit and that's why the Capital Centre was selling out regularly in the 80's and 90's (after the fans saved the franchise in the ticket campaign in the early 80's).

2nd of all, i hope you had a poncho handy while talking to Gord Lane. He was my youth hockey coach for a year in MD and the guy stuttered and spit more than any ex-hockey player i've ever seen. He was already loopy at the time so I can only assume he's bat shit crazy now.

3rd of all, Mike Green sucks and has sucked for 2 years now. Won't get any disagreement from me there.
Last edited by bchockey04 on Mon May 07, 2012 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bchockey04
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon May 07, 2012 11:38 am

bchockey04 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

First of all, on the winning goal, callahan lost his balance after backstrom and semin both lifted his stick. There was no tripping and last i knew stick lifting was allowed as long as you don't get it up around the hands. 2nd of all, the caps had a total of 2 power plays all game and the rangers just got done a game where they had 2 power plays in OT of a playoff game. Yes the refs suck. The capitals are keeping the rangers outside, and aside from callahan, no one is getting dirty. If Wideman and Schultz didn't revert to their stupid ways on the 2nd goal -- I don't think the capitals have any trouble putting this one away.
2nd of all, please look at this picture and tell me again ovechkin was head hunting.

Foot is still on the ground, shoulder hit first. He tried to kick the puck out of his skates about half a second earlier. It was a reaction check. If anything it was interference, not even charging. Maybe if Giardi wasn't such a pussy and actually tried to hit ovechkin rather than reaching and ducking, maybe he would have put Ovechkin on his ass.

The only reason it got any attention was because it was Ovechkin, and the NBC guys blew it way out of proportion.

This hit occurred in the same game t...and nothing was paid attention to it and it was worse than Ovechkin's hit (specifically the head was targeted). But it got no attention because NBC didn't even bother pointing it out.

I would love to engage in a debate but being at work all the evidence is blocked.

You do give yourself a great amount of credibility when you're calling Girardi the pussy though.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Mon May 07, 2012 11:40 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:God your stupid.

"There not saluting because the fucking Soviets are rooting for Al Qaeda."

KNOW, YOUR STUPID!!
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Mon May 07, 2012 11:43 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:6) there is literally no way that Toronto can want NJ in the next round. The Devils are, without exaggeration, the reason the NHL is on Versus instead of a real channel and almost died once. They have not changed that much.

Not to mention if the Devils can knock off the Flyers (which, even if we're able to stage a comeback, they've clearly shown the ability to do) they can knock off the Rangers or Caps as well, at which point the league has to pray that the Kings can keep it rolling to provide any entertainment value to the finals at all. Devils-Preds or Devils-Coyotes would pretty much be the ultimate nightmare scenario for the league outside of one involving small-market Canadian teams.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby bchockey04 on Mon May 07, 2012 11:50 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
I would love to engage in a debate but being at work all the evidence is blocked.

You do give yourself a great amount of credibility when you're calling Girardi the pussy though.

[url]
http://www.japersrink.com/2012/5/6/3003 ... borderline[/url]

See that post.

Girardi is obviously not a pussy. But in that play he's reaching for the puck when he had just as much a chance of taking out Ovechkin with a hard hit on that play as Ovi did on him.
bchockey04
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon May 07, 2012 11:55 am

bchockey04 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

[url]

See that post.

Girardi is obviously not a pussy. But in that play he's reaching for the puck when he had just as much a chance of taking out Ovechkin with a hard hit on that play as Ovi did on him.

I wrote my post assuming yours was sarcastic.

Will my comp get aids if I click on that thing?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bchockey04 on Mon May 07, 2012 12:02 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
bchockey04 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

[url]

See that post.

I wrote my post assuming yours was sarcastic.

Will my comp get aids if I click on that thing?

Pretty well respected Caps blog. The guy gets a lot of attention from the national hockey media. So in short...no.
bchockey04
Carney Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon May 07, 2012 12:57 pm

bchockey04 {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:God your stupid. The owner of your fucking team said "we got away with one there, but I'll take it." Let me guess, you have no fucking idea who Rod Langway is. No need to feel bad, neither do the other 99.5% of the Caps fanbase.

Rod Langway was a great player. So was everyone else on those 80's teams. Bob Gould, Kelly Miller, Mike Ridley. Remember when they made that great run in 1990? John Druce and Geoff Courtnall owned the Rangers in the 2nd round and Ciccarelli and Stevens also had great post-seasons. In fact, Rod Langway scored the biggest OT goal of his career in that series...I was there. Was also there when the islanders beat the caps in 4 OT's on Easter Sunday in '87. Pete Peeters played great, but the caps just couldn't put one in (god Mike Gartner was a choke artist)...Don't test me on caps history thanks.

There are a lot of caps fans that are new since Ovechkin arrived. But let's not forget the caps have a die hard maryland fan base that kind of got displaced when the team moved into DC in '98 (we were some of them...my parents had season tickets from '79-97). Those fans have always been there in spirit and that's why the Capital Centre was selling out regularly in the 80's and 90's (after the fans saved the franchise in the ticket campaign in the early 80's).

2nd of all, i hope you had a poncho handy while talking to Gord Lane. He was my youth hockey coach for a year in MD and the guy stuttered and spit more than any ex-hockey player i've ever seen. He was already loopy at the time so I can only assume he's bat shit crazy now.

3rd of all, Mike Green sucks and has sucked for 2 years now. Won't get any disagreement from me there.

Wait, is your dad Robin Ficker?!
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby bchockey04 on Mon May 07, 2012 1:01 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
bchockey04 {l Wrote}:

Wait, is your dad Robin Ficker?!

Wow, haven't heard that name in a long time. Used to love watching him on TV during Bullets games.
bchockey04
Carney Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon May 07, 2012 1:12 pm

Two things: (1) There is no such thing as a "well-respected" Caps blog...or any blog that follows DC teams. Outside of Steve Czaban there is absolutely nothing entertaining or amusing about DC sports. (FN1) That is the price one pays in a city where anyone who matters is more likely to be from somewhere else.

Gord is a phenomenal human being. He says the best day of his life was the day he became an American citizen. Says his only professional regret is that he wasn't young enough to last long enough in the league to "properly welcome" the Soviets. Also, he ended his career as the Player-Coach of the Springfield Indians, which is almost as awesome as his 4 Stanley Cups--he even does a Reggie Dunlop routine. I can forgive him for being an Islander.

1. The Nats are intriguing. Mike Rizzo has done a phenomenal job assembling talent and he appears to be batshit crazy as well.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon May 07, 2012 1:12 pm

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:6) there is literally no way that Toronto can want NJ in the next round. The Devils are, without exaggeration, the reason the NHL is on Versus instead of a real channel and almost died once. They have not changed that much.

Not to mention if the Devils can knock off the Flyers (which, even if we're able to stage a comeback, they've clearly shown the ability to do) they can knock off the Rangers or Caps as well, at which point the league has to pray that the Kings can keep it rolling to provide any entertainment value to the finals at all. Devils-Preds or Devils-Coyotes would pretty much be the ultimate nightmare scenario for the league outside of one involving small-market Canadian teams.

Are you really blaming NHL's TV woes on the Devil's greatness in the 90's?
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Mon May 07, 2012 1:20 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:

Are you really blaming NHL's TV woes on the Devil's greatness in the 90's?

Considering the NHL radically changed the rules coming out of the lockout because of the style of play populated by the Devils, I think it's a fair thing to say. Maybe overreaching a little bit but Devils hockey sucked to watch in every goddamn sense of the word and it sucked even worse that it had success so other teams began copying it. 1-0 games can be extremely entertaining (see: 2011 Game 7 ECF). The Devils did not play those types of games.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby bchockey04 on Mon May 07, 2012 1:21 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Two things: (1) There is no such thing as a "well-respected" Caps blog...or any blog that follows DC teams. Outside of Steve Czaban there is absolutely nothing entertaining or amusing about DC sports. (FN1) That is the price one pays in a city where anyone who matters is more likely to be from somewhere else.

Gord is a phenomenal human being. He says the best day of his life was the day he became an American citizen. Says his only professional regret is that he wasn't young enough to last long enough in the league to "properly welcome" the Soviets. Also, he ended his career as the Player-Coach of the Springfield Indians, which is almost as awesome as his 4 Stanley Cups--he even does a Reggie Dunlop routine. I can forgive him for being an Islander.

1. The Nats are intriguing. Mike Rizzo has done a phenomenal job assembling talent and he appears to be batshit crazy as well.

Loved playing for Gordie...but he's still batshit crazy.

So, did you just spend 3 posts bashing Washington DC sports...and then call the Nats "intriguing"? The team who's stadium regularly gets taken over by Phillies fans? Nice.

Way to completely blow off my previous post BTW. I can't wait until the rangers lose and John Tortorella does one of his famous 20 second hissy fit press conferences where he takes a normal questions and acts like it's an afront to humanity. Fraud.
bchockey04
Carney Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Mon May 07, 2012 1:24 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Two things: (1) There is no such thing as a "well-respected" Caps blog...or any blog that follows DC teams. Outside of Steve Czaban there is absolutely nothing entertaining or amusing about DC sports. (FN1) That is the price one pays in a city where anyone who matters is more likely to be from somewhere else.

The pre-2012 Washington Natinals would wholly disagree with the "amusing" part of that sentence.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon May 07, 2012 1:28 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

1) hitter is superstar;

you clearly don't understand how harping about a double standard is supposed to work. it is only a double standard if the result is not to my liking. durrr.

This is exactly what I would expect a member of the liberal elite to say.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Mon May 07, 2012 1:53 pm

Take that political banter to Conte Forum where it belongs.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon May 07, 2012 2:04 pm

1 game for Giroux
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010