NHL Playoff Pool (Make Finals Picks)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: NHL Playoff Pool (Make Second Round Picks)

Postby twballgame9 on Tue May 08, 2012 8:36 am

what happened yesterday? You mean 9903 and epstein pretending to "agree to disagree" in the "no, you're a retard@!!!!1111!!!!" thread?

This thread is pure comedic gold. And I have watched a grand total of 3 hockey games since the Bruins got bounced, kind of pulling for the Rangers - fun team to watch.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue May 08, 2012 8:40 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:what happened yesterday?

there's a thread in MA's that mentions it.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue May 08, 2012 8:43 am

okay
Last edited by twballgame9 on Tue May 08, 2012 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue May 08, 2012 8:50 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:Phoenix in 5

Speaking of I have the spreadsheet on my laptop, I'll post updated standings tonight.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Tue May 08, 2012 9:11 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:I fail to see what other calls and other incompetences of the refs have to do with them failing to perform the most basic and innocuous of tasks, such as kick out the center when one of the linemates is late to getting in position for the faceoff. I fail to see anything remotely controversial with that seeing as how Hagelin was a solid 5-10 seconds late to the dot with everyone else already in position because his soft skin was busy getting toweled off. Not saying it would've definitively made a difference but not having your ideal faceoff guy in there for whatever they were trying to set up is pretty big.

But the whole "The NHL is against us!!!!" narrative is especially bemusing given the remaining markets left in the playoffs assuming those Santa haters down in Philly don't come back (happy now 9903 or are you going to cheer me like you did a paralyzed Michael Irvin?).

Edit: Tge book on Lundqvist has always been go high do no surprise there. Though I was confused as to why MSG was doing MVP chants for a game in which Jonathan Quick wasn't playing.

Edited 3 times, wow

I was on my phone. I think I had Lundqvist, linemates and some other word autocorrected.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue May 08, 2012 9:12 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:there are some fantastic sour grapes in this thread

:chewbanka :chewbanka :chewbanka

I have no horse in the race aside from a desire to see both teams suffer and watch the rules interpreted correctly. I don't think the latter point is too much to ask for.

Edit: I will say I have some form of sour grapes with the fact that the writers somehow thought Lundqvist was more valuable to his team than Quick. There is no way that is even remotely defensible. Quick lost like 25 1-0 games this year.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue May 08, 2012 9:46 am

I'm all caught up now on non hockey related issues referred to in this thread, my apologies for my ignorance.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Tue May 08, 2012 10:24 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

I have no horse in the race aside from a desire to see both teams suffer and watch the rules interpreted correctly. I don't think the latter point is too much to ask for.

Edit: I will say I have some form of sour grapes with the fact that the writers somehow thought Lundqvist was more valuable to his team than Quick. There is no way that is even remotely defensible. Quick lost like 25 1-0 games this year.

Quick lost 5, Lundqvist lost 2.

I like Quick a lot. I just think you're crazy if you think Quick is way more valuable to his team than Lundqvist. And to be honest, I doubt you watch much of the Kings seeing as they play every night at like 10-11. You'd have to be a pretty big Kings fan to do that.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue May 08, 2012 10:39 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

I like Quick a lot. I just think you're crazy if you think Quick is way more valuable to his team than Lundqvist. And to be honest, I doubt you watch much of the Kings seeing as they play every night at like 10-11. You'd have to be a pretty big Kings fan to do that.

Just like I can't have an opinion on BC hockey because I haven't seen as many games as you have, right?

Edit: Fun fact of the day, LA blocked 369 less shots than New York and 235 more giveaways. Also, NHL.com is absurdly awesome for stats.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue May 08, 2012 10:48 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

Just like I can't have an opinion on BC hockey because I haven't seen as many games as you have, right?

Edit: Fun fact of the day, LA blocked 369 less shots than New York and 235 more giveaways. Also, NHL.com is absurdly awesome for stats.

1. So Muse sucks because his defensemen block shots?

b. That is true.

three. you love the edits
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue May 08, 2012 10:57 am

bchockey04 {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:By the way, I am now watching the hostage video that is masquerading as the Caps postgame show. I think Alan May is drunk and Joe Benninati can't stop crying. It is pure gold.

Blah blah blah. Please tell me how 99.5% of caps fans don't know anything about the team again. That turned out well for you last time.

99.5% of Caps fans don't know anything about hockey. Your annecdotal claims notwithstanding. Congratulations, you are the .5%. Happy now? Anyone reading the texts scrolling during the Caps Postgame or reviewing the comments at the Caps blog prove conclusively that what I say is true--or simply sitting in the Verizon Center during a Caps game and asking 10 random fans in the lower bowl whether they have heard about Rod Langway or can explain a couple of basic calls. There is a reason that the Metro DC area has produced exactly one guy who has played in the NHL and it isn't because there are a lot of knowledgeable or passionate fans in DC or any real support for the sport.

Anyway, the tears of ignorant Caps fans taste like the finest cab. They go well with a dry-aged steak cooked at high heat until medium rare.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue May 08, 2012 10:57 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

1. So Muse sucks because his defensemen block shots?

b. That is true.

three. you love the edits

No. It shows they play in a more defensive system in which the skaters do a better job of preventing pucks from getting to the net and, thus, having the goalie do his job. Quick had an okay d-core but his team was devoid of offense and they were looser with the puck, which generally indicates, not always but generally speaking, a looser defensive system. I can't find puck possession stats but I imagine that would further solidify my point. The Kings D-core is pretty mediocre IMO, full of borderline 2/3s and a bunch of backend guys, especially considering Doughty wasn't very good this year. That means it was all up to Quick. And he did very well.

Muse sucks because he cannot stop shots, unless it's in the Frozen Four, causing the defense to need to sell out and block more shots. Lundqvist can stop shots and I have never suggested otherwise so your attempt at humor falls flat, as it is wont to do during the majority of your posts.

You love sucking.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby bchockey04 on Tue May 08, 2012 11:06 am

It could be argued that Jeff Carter was more valuable to that team than Quick...yes I said it.

Before they traded for him they were averaging 2.10 goals per game. After the trade, 3 goals/game.
bchockey04
Carney Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue May 08, 2012 12:17 pm

I think that's one of those that can be argued away with the whole correlation/causation thingamajig.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue May 08, 2012 5:38 pm

CAG 9
AC 7
9903 5
BigNick 5
Claver 5
Elvis 5
LGM 4
Pedro 4
Ryfarls 3

Only CAG had Phoenix
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby AdamBC on Tue May 08, 2012 5:40 pm

Haha, Wilson and Yip-yip-yip-yip-yip-yip-yip suck at life and hockey.
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue May 08, 2012 8:59 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:CAG 9
AC 7
9903 5
BigNick 5
Claver 5
Elvis 5
LGM 4
Pedro 4
Ryfarls 3

Only CAG had Phoenix

When I go ohfer in this round, that should take away my right to make any more picks. So let it be done.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue May 08, 2012 9:08 pm

NJ in 5
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue May 08, 2012 9:16 pm

Yotes/devils final please.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue May 08, 2012 9:26 pm

Only Lawyers Guns Money got this series right

CAG 9
AC 7
LGM 6
9903 5
BigNick 5
Claver 5
Elvis 5
Pedro 4
Ryfarls 3

We're an impressive 5-19 this series (Ryfarls didn't submit 2nd round), well done guys well done
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue May 08, 2012 9:44 pm

If the Devils win, I will be happier then the proverbial pig.

Giants and BC/Devils hockey. What more can I ask?
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby angrychicken on Wed May 09, 2012 3:59 pm

Are the hockey playoffs still going on? If so, somebody remind me when it's time to make the picks for the next round. Thanks.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed May 09, 2012 8:58 pm

Rangers-Caps have taken on a 2001 World Series vibe with the Rangers being the Yankees and the Caps being the D'Backs. I'll be the first to admit that Torts has been completely outcoached by Hunter and Lundqvist has been completely outplayed by Canadian Varlamov. Also, the fact that they did not retaliate against Ovechkin for his egregious hit on Girardi is absolutely stupifying. Why dress Rupp if you aren't willing to give Ovie a knee to knee? The Rangers showed zero heart tonight. Zero.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed May 09, 2012 9:06 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Rangers-Caps have taken on a 2001 World Series vibe with the Rangers being the Yankees and the Caps being the D'Backs. I'll be the first to admit that Torts has been completely outcoached by Hunter and Lundqvist has been completely outplayed by Canadian Varlamov. Also, the fact that they did not retaliate against Ovechkin for his egregious hit on Girardi is absolutely stupifying. Why dress Rupp if you aren't willing to give Ovie a knee to knee? The Rangers showed zero heart tonight. Zero.

I think it's likely we see OT in game 7. If so, the Rangers' grips will get very tight.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed May 09, 2012 9:22 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Rangers-Caps have taken on a 2001 World Series vibe with the Rangers being the Yankees and the Caps being the D'Backs. I'll be the first to admit that Torts has been completely outcoached by Hunter and Lundqvist has been completely outplayed by Canadian Varlamov. Also, the fact that they did not retaliate against Ovechkin for his egregious hit on Girardi is absolutely stupifying. Why dress Rupp if you aren't willing to give Ovie a knee to knee? The Rangers showed zero heart tonight. Zero.

Terrible, came out flat. You knew the Caps were going to come balls to the wall and a very timid answer from the Rangers. Someone (maybe it was you) pointed Rupp real got his bell rung recently but if you're dressing him, Prust, Bickel, etc they needed to answer that filthy ruski. They do need to get ugly (as we saw with the last goal), get to the net which is why the Callahan-Boyle-Anisomov line was effective. Despite the success of the 4th line, Kreider doesn't belong there.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bchockey04 on Wed May 09, 2012 9:23 pm

Fully expected rangers to stranglehold the caps tonight. Shocked by how flat they were. Caps go into game 7 essentially knowing that aside from the end of game 5, they've controlled the last 3 games. Just have to carry it over one more game.
bchockey04
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu May 10, 2012 10:42 am

On this point, WTF is Torts doing planting Kreider in the 4th line?

He should've never broken up Kreider-Stepan-Callahan. The team was absolutely flat all night and those two wingers are two of your best forecheckers and that's a pretty good fucking 2nd line offensively as well.

Look the kid had a bad turnover, it was 3 games ago get the fuck over it.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu May 10, 2012 12:56 pm

He had a "bad turnover" that only turned into a goal because Lundqvist has a sub-par glove hand. I think the most remarkable thing about this series is how thoroughly exposed Lundqvist is at this point with respect to his glove hand. It is absolutely awful. It is also astonishing how effective he is as a goaltender despite the fact that his glove hand is essentially useless. Surely, Dale Hunter isn't the first coach to notice this and take advantage. How do you play seven years in the league pawing ineffectually at the puck--let alone play seven years as one of the best in the game.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu May 10, 2012 1:05 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:He had a "bad turnover" that only turned into a goal because Lundqvist has a sub-par glove hand. I think the most remarkable thing about this series is how thoroughly exposed Lundqvist is at this point with respect to his glove hand. It is absolutely awful. It is also astonishing how effective he is as a goaltender despite the fact that his glove hand is essentially useless. Surely, Dale Hunter isn't the first coach to notice this and take advantage. How do you play seven years in the league pawing ineffectually at the puck--let alone play seven years as one of the best in the game.

The Rangers have scored 3, 2, 2, 2, 3, and 1 goals in the first six games of this series. That's problematic.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu May 10, 2012 1:07 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:He had a "bad turnover" that only turned into a goal because Lundqvist has a sub-par glove hand. I think the most remarkable thing about this series is how thoroughly exposed Lundqvist is at this point with respect to his glove hand. It is absolutely awful. It is also astonishing how effective he is as a goaltender despite the fact that his glove hand is essentially useless. Surely, Dale Hunter isn't the first coach to notice this and take advantage. How do you play seven years in the league pawing ineffectually at the puck--let alone play seven years as one of the best in the game.

I think the Caps have been overplaying that weak glove - at times to their detriment. While I completely understand peppering it to the fullest extent possible, the percentages can't be so high as to shoot there at terrible angles and with open net or screens elsewhere. Carlson held off on that 2 on 1 for good reason, but it was due to defense, not because of percentages (and high glove side was absolutely the shot to take in an even-strength situation).

If final Vezina voting hadn't already occurred, then I wouldn't give him a chance for the award after his play this postseason. What a eurofeghue.

Saturday's going to be yet another stomach-churning event that no doubt will end up in OT.

I had to laugh when Krieder owned Green in the corner multiple times in the same stretch.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Kelley Rink