NHL Playoff Pool (Make Finals Picks)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: NHL Playoff Pool

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:40 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
How is it whining when there is a clear right and wrong and he's right? Yes, these things have a way of evening out, but when one leads directly to a deciding goal, one should just ignore it? Whatever you say...

I think he was questioning the "directly" part. If he wasn't, then I definitely am. In any event, the line between whining and excuse-making is razor thin.

As long as the goal/no goal call is not the issue, then technically you're right that it isn't direct. But I'm pretty sure that's obvious to both you and not really the issue here.

I don't see this as the difference between whining and excuse-making. One can bring up factual evidence without doing either. Nothing about the way it was brought up, Hunter's personality, or history of coaching tells me he was bitching about it.

It would have directly resulted in the goal if it were a pass leading to an odd-man rush. That wasn't the case; the Bruins held the puck in the zone for an extended period time before the shot (and, as elvii mentioned, the entire sequence was poorly defensed by Washington).

So the poorly defensed sequence would have never occured. It's pretty damned direct if the exact possession in that zone would have been cut off. And no just because it dragged and the puck didn't go right at the net doesn't change that.

And here is where the line is so razor-thin.

It's not. We're arguing on degree of directness but essentially saying the same thing. My main point was it's not really bitching if you're correct. In a series this close, things like missed calls matter even more and bringing them to the forefront so the same mistakes are not replicated is crucial.

Of the three factors that led to that goal (the missed offsides, the Bruins' offensive play, and the Caps' defensive play), the latter two were much more significant than the former. The Caps had control over exactly one of those factors. You're still missing the point that by emphasizing the missed offsides, the organization is marginalizing the role of their five players (it was a 4x4) who were on the ice in the end-result. That's the main reason I don't really like whining from anyone (and, fortunately for my own sake, whining comes from the team I root for far less than it comes from many of the other teams in the league). Unlike Don Cherry, I was all for Ference's and the front office's public criticism of Paille for an hit last year that results in (if anything) heavy-handed suspension.

Also, does anyone else hear a screeching noise coming from somewhere south of NYC but north of Washington. :shrug

Neither of the latter two factors come into play if the first one does not. Case closed. And it's all very direct. This isn't a case of "well, if there had been a stoppage of play 45 minutes before, a butterfly would not have landed in that exact spot."

Emphasizing the missed call to you means they are bitching and making it all about the missed call and taking away responsibility from the players. Emphasizing the missed call to me means they are trying to ensure the mistake doesn't happen again.

classic eggshell skull case. you take your victim as you find them. in this case the Caps can't play defense, so the Bs slight cheating had the same traumatic effect on the result as a more serious Penguins like form of cheating on a great team like the Flyers.

Do you buy into Philly's theory that Bobrovsky has sucked in the playoffs because he's inexperienced?

when yesterday or all of last year?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:47 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
How is it whining when there is a clear right and wrong and he's right? Yes, these things have a way of evening out, but when one leads directly to a deciding goal, one should just ignore it? Whatever you say...

I think he was questioning the "directly" part. If he wasn't, then I definitely am. In any event, the line between whining and excuse-making is razor thin.

As long as the goal/no goal call is not the issue, then technically you're right that it isn't direct. But I'm pretty sure that's obvious to both you and not really the issue here.

I don't see this as the difference between whining and excuse-making. One can bring up factual evidence without doing either. Nothing about the way it was brought up, Hunter's personality, or history of coaching tells me he was bitching about it.

It would have directly resulted in the goal if it were a pass leading to an odd-man rush. That wasn't the case; the Bruins held the puck in the zone for an extended period time before the shot (and, as elvii mentioned, the entire sequence was poorly defensed by Washington).

So the poorly defensed sequence would have never occured. It's pretty damned direct if the exact possession in that zone would have been cut off. And no just because it dragged and the puck didn't go right at the net doesn't change that.

It's not. We're arguing on degree of directness but essentially saying the same thing. My main point was it's not really bitching if you're correct. In a series this close, things like missed calls matter even more and bringing them to the forefront so the same mistakes are not replicated is crucial.

Of the three factors that led to that goal (the missed offsides, the Bruins' offensive play, and the Caps' defensive play), the latter two were much more significant than the former. The Caps had control over exactly one of those factors. You're still missing the point that by emphasizing the missed offsides, the organization is marginalizing the role of their five players (it was a 4x4) who were on the ice in the end-result. That's the main reason I don't really like whining from anyone (and, fortunately for my own sake, whining comes from the team I root for far less than it comes from many of the other teams in the league). Unlike Don Cherry, I was all for Ference's and the front office's public criticism of Paille for an hit last year that results in (if anything) heavy-handed suspension.

Also, does anyone else hear a screeching noise coming from somewhere south of NYC but north of Washington. :shrug

Neither of the latter two factors come into play if the first one does not. Case closed. And it's all very direct. This isn't a case of "well, if there had been a stoppage of play 45 minutes before, a butterfly would not have landed in that exact spot."

Emphasizing the missed call to you means they are bitching and making it all about the missed call and taking away responsibility from the players. Emphasizing the missed call to me means they are trying to ensure the mistake doesn't happen again.

classic eggshell skull case. you take your victim as you find them. in this case the Caps can't play defense, so the Bs slight cheating had the same traumatic effect on the result as a more serious Penguins like form of cheating on a great team like the Flyers.

Do you buy into Philly's theory that Bobrovsky has sucked in the playoffs because he's inexperienced?

In general, I suppose. Also, does it matter if Bobrovsky becomes really good, given that Ilya has a 9 year contract?
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:54 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

In general, I suppose. Also, does it matter if Bobrovsky becomes really good, given that Ilya has a 9 year contract?

I don't know. I suspect it would depend on what kind of amnesty provision is in the next CBA. I think Bobrovsky has some potential and looked very good at times in the regular season last year. At this point the weird Bryzgalov money pissing has undoubtedly damaged his development.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:47 pm

Rinaldo {l Wrote}:“Frustration came out on me,” Rinaldo said Thursday. “It happens in hockey, you see it all the time. I’ll roll with the punches. Whatever happens, happens.”

Rinaldo said he did not regret his hits.

“I don’t regret doing it. I play with my emotions,” Rinaldo said. “I don’t think I put my team down. It was already 9-3 when I went out there. I wear my heart on my sleeve. I was really frustrated that we were getting blown out of the water, so I took matters into my own hands.”

Rinaldo said Michalek never did anything antagonistic.

“It was just personal frustrations,” Rinaldo said. “He didn’t do anything.”

interesting strategy by Rinaldo, show no remorse make no excuses, at least he didn't whine I guess.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:48 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
Rinaldo {l Wrote}:“Frustration came out on me,” Rinaldo said Thursday. “It happens in hockey, you see it all the time. I’ll roll with the punches. Whatever happens, happens.”

Rinaldo said he did not regret his hits.

“I don’t regret doing it. I play with my emotions,” Rinaldo said. “I don’t think I put my team down. It was already 9-3 when I went out there. I wear my heart on my sleeve. I was really frustrated that we were getting blown out of the water, so I took matters into my own hands.”

Rinaldo said Michalek never did anything antagonistic.

“It was just personal frustrations,” Rinaldo said. “He didn’t do anything.”

interesting strategy by Rinaldo, show no remorse make no excuses, at least he didn't whine I guess.

Teddy probably doesn't get the pun.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:01 pm

I put down Bob's playoff struggles so far to a combination of inexperience, small sample size, and generally having been put into impossible situations in the postseason. He's appeared in 7 postseason games but played a grand total of 223 minutes according to the Flyers website, and while I'm not 100% certain I think he's only started 1 of those games, which was game 4 against the Bruins last year. He temporarily won the starting job earlier this year and started in the Winter Classic, then Bryz caught fire for a while and got the job back, so if he begins to consistently outplay Bryz I don't see any reason why he couldn't be the starter, at least while Laviolette is the coach. He has a ton of talent but at this point you have to wonder if he'll ever reach his full potential in Philly. I can very easily see him being traded away this offseason and then ending up as one of the league's elite goalies 2 years from now.

He also happens to have absolutely owned the Penguins throughout his career (prior to last night), particularly in Pittsburgh. To me it's an absolute no-brainer that he gets the start tomorrow and if he does I think he'll surprise a lot of non-Flyers fans.

EDIT - Was able to track down his stats as a playoff starter; he started 3 playoff games, the first 2 against Buffalo and game 4 against the Bruins (he actually appeared in all 4 games of the Bruins series, the first 2 when Boucher got chased and game 3 when he was injured, left temporarily, and came back). As a playoff starter he has an .877 SV% and 3.25 GAA but if compiled in this year's playoffs would put him in the ballpark of guys like Brodeur, Howard, and Luongo. And again, with Bob you're looking at a small sample size (plus his numbers are heavily inflated by one awful performance in game 2 against the Sabres).

Not sure if anyone mentioned this but Corey Schneider got the start last night and was lights-out including a very nice stop on a penalty shot

Also, I typed this post (apart from the edit) while taking a shit
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:27 pm

Henrik is 1-7 in OT playoff games. It's probably an aberration...but interesting, nevertheless.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:36 pm

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:I put down Bob's playoff struggles so far to a combination of inexperience, small sample size, and generally having been put into impossible situations in the postseason. He's appeared in 7 postseason games but played a grand total of 223 minutes according to the Flyers website, and while I'm not 100% certain I think he's only started 1 of those games, which was game 4 against the Bruins last year. He temporarily won the starting job earlier this year and started in the Winter Classic, then Bryz caught fire for a while and got the job back, so if he begins to consistently outplay Bryz I don't see any reason why he couldn't be the starter, at least while Laviolette is the coach. He has a ton of talent but at this point you have to wonder if he'll ever reach his full potential in Philly. I can very easily see him being traded away this offseason and then ending up as one of the league's elite goalies 2 years from now.

He also happens to have absolutely owned the Penguins throughout his career (prior to last night), particularly in Pittsburgh. To me it's an absolute no-brainer that he gets the start tomorrow and if he does I think he'll surprise a lot of non-Flyers fans.

EDIT - Was able to track down his stats as a playoff starter; he started 3 playoff games, the first 2 against Buffalo and game 4 against the Bruins (he actually appeared in all 4 games of the Bruins series, the first 2 when Boucher got chased and game 3 when he was injured, left temporarily, and came back). As a playoff starter he has an .877 SV% and 3.25 GAA but if compiled in this year's playoffs would put him in the ballpark of guys like Brodeur, Howard, and Luongo. And again, with Bob you're looking at a small sample size (plus his numbers are heavily inflated by one awful performance in game 2 against the Sabres).

Not sure if anyone mentioned this but Corey Schneider got the start last night and was lights-out including a very nice stop on a penalty shot

Also, I typed this post (apart from the edit) while taking a shit

Bryz is hurt according to Eskin, may not matter.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:40 pm

I love coming back from work and having playoff hockey every night
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:03 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Bryz is hurt according to Eskin

So what you're saying is, Bryz is the model of health and is 100% getting the start
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:13 pm

That clock started waaayyyyyyy late, Bruins got an extra about 5 seconds
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:13 pm

Bruins got a good extra 5 seconds there on that last play
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:48 pm

The bruins got a lot more shots through than they have been, but they freaking have to generate more traffic in front. Holtby is playing well.

Phoenix wins. Crawford sucks.

Edit: The Atlantic Division fans bitch even when Washington wins! What a habit.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:06 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:The bruins got a lot more shots through than they have been, but they freaking have to generate more traffic in front. Holtby is playing well.

Phoenix wins. Crawford sucks.

Edit: The Atlantic Division fans bitch even when Washington wins! What a habit.

That's Patrick Division unity right there.

And clearly the refs blew this game. On a serious note, that was a bad penalty IMO but one the refs will call every time without the benefit of slow motion and instant replay. Nothing you can really do there aside from hope Washington invests in those grip sticks or something.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:17 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:Edit: The Atlantic Division fans bitch even when Washington wins! What a habit.

Wait bitching is pointing out that the Bs best chance in that last scramble should've never happened?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:40 am

How about we stop making Bradon Holtby look like Patrick Roy?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:54 am

From the NHL: “The NHL Situation Room in Toronto immediately was aware that the clock had not started for 5.3 seconds after the face-off and, therefore, would have disallowed a goal scored with 5.3 seconds or less showing on the clock.”
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:00 am

I was at the Devils game last night. Tough seeing a former BC/Devil keeper not being able to stop any shot above his shoulders. I felt bad for him.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:43 am

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Bryz is hurt according to Eskin

So what you're saying is, Bryz is the model of health and is 100% getting the start

I despise Eskin, and no I was not listening to his show thank you for not asking, but he is almost always right about hockey injuries.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:54 am

grossmann is out for game 5, probably due to the cheating of that filthy communazi Evgeni Malkin.

domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:21 am

Grossmann is really feeling the weight of the extra "N" on his name.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:37 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Grossmann is really feeling the weight of the extra "N" on his name.

number of ns at the end of your name is a sign of respect in Swedennn.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:38 am

I am glad Dave Krejci didn't get decapitated, he has bad things happen to him a lot:

domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:12 am

The O/U on the Philly-Pens game tonight is 7, if it's too good to be true...
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:32 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:Edit: The Atlantic Division fans bitch even when Washington wins! What a habit.

Wait bitching is pointing out that the Bs best chance in that last scramble should've never happened?

At what point does the bitching about bitching become worse than the original bitching itself? It already has? Oh.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:52 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

At what point does the bitching about bitching become worse than the original bitching itself? It already has? Oh.

Butthurt?
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:07 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Butthurt?

Fag tag
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:33 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Butthurt?

I guess I'd rather talk about hockey than an endless parade of National Enquirer NHL playoff editions.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:29 pm

bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:10 pm

The ogre has carved a nice route to teh box
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill